Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Andrew,

You're right,unfortunately the smaller (and larger) sizes are developed and produced last. I don't have visibility into the P5 schedule from Fuerteventura (I do have visibility across the beach and out to sea, wish I weren't trapped in this converence room!), but based on past new model time lines it's probably a few months after the middle sizes before they'll see wide distribution.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi MTM,

Steve has it right, the space for brake lines inside the bars is tight. There are a few bends where you could accumulate some slack, just not sure how much.

Anyway, it's certainly simple to use different bars on a P5, since the fork, headset and stem are non-proprietary 1 1/8" (28.6mm) diameter and completely compatible. The Tulas tested very well in our wind tunnel testing, good choice there.

Not using the new bar should help Cervelo out to, initially at least - production is ramping up, but I expect we won't be able to satisfy demand for some time.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
Thanks, I read that they didn't yet have the sticker and the artical on velo about the loophole at the junctions. The UCI has closed loopholes in the past, so its good to know that its been formally blessed by the UCI.

Hi styrrell,

Not really a loophole, just design space that's been specifically allowed in the rules (since 2000) that a few companies are starting to use more. It is nice that they've formally blessed it though!

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
"As usual, most people can fit on two or sometimes three different frame sizes. For the same fit coordinates, there is no aero difference between the various handlebar options. So use the usual fit considerations to break the tie: will you go lower or higher in the future, or do you prefer the base bar in one place or the other, etc. "
------------------
Damon,

Continued thanks! I'm a tad hard headed, but I think that may be a ST qualification.

Allow me to ask the above question another way. I've had my position the same for 15+ years. I remember back when the notion was to have a small frame and many road close to BMX size frames. Then, we wanted the biggest fame that we could make work. Lately, I have been in between.

Assume that all of the other considerations are a wash, you you hit the middle of two fit bands - either 54 w/ HV, or 56L is there a reason or recommendation to go one way or the other or is it just a coin toss. Really, just a coin toss?

Thanks,

Hi David,

I'm hard headed myself sometimes. Guess I fit right in? ;-)

Yes, aerodynamically it's a coin toss.
But to break the tie in your case, consider that your base bar will stay low if you choose the High-V. If you choose the "Low" configuration, you'll add fork spacers between the frame and stem, bringing your base bar up with the arm pads.

Cheers,

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
Hi Andrew,

You're right,unfortunately the smaller (and larger) sizes are developed and produced last. I don't have visibility into the P5 schedule from Fuerteventura (I do have visibility across the beach and out to sea, wish I weren't trapped in this converence room!), but based on past new model time lines it's probably a few months after the middle sizes before they'll see wide distribution.

Cheers,
Damon
any idea on time tables for delivery on bikes? which models 6s vs 3s are coming out first? My P4 was totaled by car and can't wait to get the P5.
was also wondering if you knew the stack on the Aduro bar stem? if I were to cut my fork steerer tube to use a standard 3T stem (40mm stack), I was wondering if I could just switch to Aduro bar down the road without worrying
about steerer tube length?
cheers
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [big-w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big-w wrote:
So bottom line, other than an extreme cool factor, can anyone tell me what crying need in Cervelo's current lineup prompted the P5?

I always say that a successful brand can't "bask in the glory and relax" because the competitors and pretenders are out there working hard to steal the business.

So Cervelo is most likely already working hard on the P6.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

>So Cervelo is most likely already working hard on the P6.

I hope they're also working hard on the P2/P3. Though both bikes are still super-competitive in their segments after all these years, it's about time for something more than a cosmetic update.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Loophole was Velonews' term. I like the sticker program, although I think you will agree it should be free. In most sports if you design something to the written rules you don't have to worry. In cycling if you design right to the boundary, the boundary just might be moved. Thats frustrating. I know the hydraulics are for the tri version, but any input as to wether or not the UCI would allow them if they fit 3:1 restrictions?

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Magura brakes are UCI approved and I would expect the Garmin Barracuda team to race them in TTs soon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:

I'm hard headed myself sometimes. Guess I fit right in? ;-)

I'll take that as a clue that the drag data is going to be reported in grams instead of CdA, huh? :-/

I won't give up though. See? I'm hard-headed too :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
The Magura brakes are UCI approved and I would expect the Garmin Barracuda team to race them in TTs soon

I'm wondering if we might see them actually racing them in road races at some point this season (someone has to test out the road adapters...or, maybe some Shimano "hydraulic ready" brifters, right?) ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damon

Will the USE Tula flight pod system allow for the Magra brakes.

This is the link to the description

http://www.use1.com/...ero-bar-flight-pods/

I have had a 56 P3 and 56 P4 with standard tula bars, the P5 will not fit me as I have a stack of 57 and reach of about 54.

Short legs long torso and low bars.

Thanks for the help!
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could do it now if you wanted but they are damn ugly and kill the front end of the bike. There are converters available but not from Magura. Or if you are running Di2 you could buy these (not from Shimano)

Last edited by: BMANX: Jan 21, 12 7:58
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [maxhr203] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You actually replied to me, and I think I can answe at least the USE question. From what I remember this USE bar has a standard diameter allowing for all standard fit levers, and the Magura ones fall into that category too. These Magura brakes should actually fit into most base bars, and because of the simple effort on the P5, you should be able to fit most aero bars on that frame.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any bigger and those levers will be banned for being aero bars.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Built in ITU legal aerobars seems like a good plan to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damon

I have had a 56 P3 and 56 P4 with standard tula bars, the P5 will not fit me as I have a stack of 57 and reach of about 54.

Thanks for the help!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hubert

Tha ks for the info, that's how I read it as well.

Going to check with Damon to make sure there is no inside the. At issues

Thanks again
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Chuck Finley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chuck Finley wrote:
Considering that cervelo copied a Scott plasma frame...

Is this because of the larger seat tube/top tube fillet with the straight-ish edge?

I'm getting tired of the "But, it looks just like a Plasma" whining. Anyone who is aware of the UCI frame "design space" will realize that there's a pretty good reason for why it looks that way in that part of the frame. Sure, Scott may have decided to get as close to that particular boundary of the design space first (were they? I don't know), but that doesn't preclude other designers from taking advantage of the same area if it's shown to be a benefit.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Herbert wrote:

I'm wondering if we might see them actually racing them in road races at some point this season (someone has to test out the road adapters...or, maybe some Shimano "hydraulic ready" brifters, right?) ;-)

There was rumors that Garmin didn't have a gruppo sponsor this year. Maybe buying groups was the only way they could ride Magura brakes in TTs. As there have also been rumors about Sram working hydraulic rim brakes in to the Red group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The P5 may look like the Plasma, but the big question is 'which is more aero?', That is all that matters. We will have to wait and see.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Philb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Philb wrote:
The P5 may look like the Plasma, but the big question is 'which is more aero?', That is all that matters. We will have to wait and see.

OK...aside from the shapes (and not the sizes) of the frame "fillets" (in particular the seat tube-to-top tube fillet), I'm not seeing why everyone says it looks just like the Plasma.

Heck, to my eye, the frames look more different than alike in the details and execution...to say that Cervelo "just copied the Plasma" is merely being lazy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree but I think the headtube and bottom bracket area look very similiar as well. I don't think it looks completely the same but if you slapped a Scott logo on the P5 and said it was the next version of the Plasma. I don't think you could say it was a radical redesign.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [maxhr203] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maxhr203 wrote:
Damon

Thanks for the help!
Hi maxhr203,

Years ago (in the late 80s, man I'm getting old!) I saw 213 on my HR monitor.

I don't know what's inside the USE Tula flight pods, but if you can get regular cable housing through there I don't see why a hydraulic line wouldn't go through instead. Sounds like a good combination to me, especially since production ramp up of the new bar is not expected to keep up with initial demand.

Just compare the *frame* stack and reach to your P3/P4 to see if you'll want a 56cm (or maybe a 54cm?) P5. That's on the P5 web page under Geometry here:
http://cervelo.com/...es/2012/P5/geometry/

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [drgwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi drgwood,

I should let Jared, our triathlon product manager, answer your question on time tables for expected delivery of the different P5 models. I'll ask him to reply to this post about that.

About aero bar stack, the Aduro needs 40mm of steerer tube to clamp to. It also doesn't require a headset top cap, as it sits directly on the split conical sleeve of the headset. That means your plan will work: cut now to a standard stem, and for sure the Aduro will clamp on.

Just triple check the arm pad stack you'll get - the stack of that part is separate from the clamp length on the fork! You might want to leave a little extra steerer sticking out the top of your normal stem if you'll need it later with your Aduro.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply

Prev Next