Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Steve,

Glad the arm pad stack table helped. I knew it'd come in useful. ;-)

Our wind tunnel testing shows the various configurations for getting higher or lower are an aero wash.

So you're free to use your other preferences as a guide.
Does the reach fall closer in one size or the other?
Considering raising or lowering bars later? Remember cutting the fork means no going higher that way; if you chose the Lo bar then you could always switch to the High-V if you wanted.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damon--thanks for all the input! Could you tell us about eompatability/issues with using Campy EPS as oppossed to Di2?

thanks!

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anybody know an ETA on the bikes to shops etc?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [jwrdds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [jwrdds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The info out said pre-orders in a limited supply in March...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you guys going to provide some specific storage accessories for the mount points, or did the p4 scare you guys away from that?

I realize it's not a huge profit center, but the aerobars look like a good mount point for a specifically designed larger-capacity aerobar bottle, the lower triangle looks like it could take a toolbox/spare kit. I think that has a bolt in the center of the BB triangle, doesn't it? I can see the bolt head sticking up in this photo:

http://www.p5simplyfaster.com/...lideshow/image05.jpg

I suppose you are saying that you will here, but it's so hard to tell with marketing speak:

"Storage & Hydration: Designed for speed and versatility, a full range of sleek and intuitive storage solutions are custom designed for the P5. From an integral bottle cage mount between the aerobar pads, to a Shimano Di2 battery located inside the frame’s HiddenPocket™, to multiple locations for nutrition, the P5 mates optimal aero locations with ease of access."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
Considering raising or lowering bars later? Remember cutting the fork means no going higher that way; if you chose the Lo bar then you could always switch to the High-V if you wanted.
Sorry to be a pain, Damon, your answer has just created another question - how far can you adjust the height without cutting the steerer? So I start off with the Lo bar and a full stack of spacers on the steerer, then I want to go lower, how much lower can I go without having to cut the steerer? Or can you stack the aero spacers up above the stem, just like you would with any other steerer/stem/bars?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, it isn't. That shows the range you can achieve, but not necessarily how you can move within that once you've cut the steerer. It may be that you can stack the spacers on top to avoid cutting it and retain the full range, or it may not be, that's what I'm asking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
steve its all in the stack/reach chart linked to from the slowtwitch p5 article

stack and reach without those bars?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Philb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What?, for $10,000 you get these?. I can not stop laughing

Philb wrote:
gibson00 wrote:
10k for the di2 version, and it comes with a $200 wheelset. Geez...

Most purchasers will probably already own a set of race wheels. So I'd rather pay for a cheap set of wheels rather than another expensive pair. They are basically there to allow you to ride it home or for training use!
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [yme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.trekbikes.com/...dioshack_nissan_trek

Go ahead and buy any wheels you want
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [yme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yme wrote:
What?, for $10,000 you get these?. I can not stop laughing

Philb wrote:
gibson00 wrote:
10k for the di2 version, and it comes with a $200 wheelset. Geez...

Most purchasers will probably already own a set of race wheels. So I'd rather pay for a cheap set of wheels rather than another expensive pair. They are basically there to allow you to ride it home or for training use!

Go look at the shiv tri price and what you get for that it will help you not sound dumb. The shiv tri top of the like is close to 13000, and you get firecrest 404s. Do the math youll figure out the wheels arent a big deal. Besides why would i want someone else to pick the wheels im going to race on for me. I surely wouldnt want 404s.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I must admit for all my negativity towards Cervelo (which is warranted) the P5 Tri is a nice looking machine. The UCI version is a hack job and looks to be an after thought. The brakes are a nice engineering execution and I understand the approach, but are they really necessary, especially on a timed bike. You should not be touching the brakes!!! You need hydraulic brakes for a turnaround? And on that note, Tri athletes in general can't go that fast anyways to need powerful brakes. In reality, not that practical and as a mechanic in a shop, hydraulic is a pain to service...air bubbles and all. For the majority of people who are not mechanically inclined, the shops will love to make service money on this one. I still cannot get over how much the frameset resembles the Scott Plasma and the Scott front end stem junction is more aero on the TT version. Ironic that Cervelo and Scott used to be made in the same factory. Even the Ritchey seat mast clamp is the same. If you like Cervelo, it is a nicer design than anything they have produced, but like most Cervelo's it is a copy of other things already on the market, which is ok. Keep drinking the Cervelo cool-aid.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [eki1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh really, who else has standard airfoil and truncated airfoil shapes on the same frame? I believe it's a first
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a Speed Concept owner, here are some of my thoughts. Lots of them fall in to the "got it right" category.

1. Things I think Cervelo got right:
a. Brakes - I'm not going to be in denial like some of the other SC owners, these brakes look and sound sweet. I think the SC's brakes are decent, very good when you take in to account the integration and hidden nature, particularly the front. However, the Magura initial reviews sounds great and the adjustability and user friendliness look good.
b. ?Speed? - yet to be seen, whereas with the P4 I felt fairly confident that my SC was a wash in terms of day to day aerodynamics; I'm guessing that the P5 in the Tri version will now be faster in most conditions, though I've had my SC in hand for over a year. One thing that always confused me about the SC white paper is that it looks like they developed One fast tube shape and put it everywhere. Cervelo talks a lot about using different shapes in different places. Not to mention the "filleting" looks better as well.
c. an aerobar mount on the handlebar
d. the geometry looks very good
e. graphics - my Trek says "Trek" on it like 1000 times

2. Things that don't appeal to me:
a. the nose cone looks wierd to me for some reason
b. leaving storage to aftermarket producers

3. Things that are similar to the steps taken by the SC
a. Lower BB height, finally
b. top tube bottle/accessory mount

All in all, as a SC9.5 owner, the P5-3 DA doesn't make me want to sell my bike any time soon. I've been very happy with my bike. I think that just from a spec standpoint, the SC9.5 and P5-3 are actually very comparable bikes and if I were shopping today it'd be a coin flip to decide which one to go with.

Then again maybe the data will make me spit coffee on my screen I'm so shocked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For any prospective P5 owners, an FYI, Triathlete magazine unfairly gave the P5 an 'incomplete' grade on top tube storage options.

Link to story here:
http://triathlon.competitor.com/...veils-the-p5_46244/6

So we wanted to make a correction to the article and to let future P5 riders know that at least one well-designed integrated storage option is ready for them. Because, via our work and behind-the-scenes communication with Cervelo, our highly streamlined Speedpack 480D is actually already in production, available to purchase at any time on our website. It bolts directly to the P5's top tube mounts and is positioned to hug the rear of the P5's 3T integrated cockpits.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eki1 wrote:
... The brakes are a nice engineering execution and I understand the approach, but are they really necessary, especially on a timed bike. You should not be touching the brakes!!! You need hydraulic brakes for a turnaround? And on that note, Tri athletes in general can't go that fast anyways to need powerful brakes. In reality, not that practical and as a mechanic in a shop, hydraulic is a pain to service...air bubbles and all. For the majority of people who are not mechanically inclined, the shops will love to make service money on this one.

I take it you have never raced on a technical course? Yes I know many triathletes that won't go over 25 mph even on a downhill, but those of us that DO appreciate being able to have good brakes when we get to that sharp turn at the bottom of the hill!!

As a mechanical engineer by training, I think thy hydraulics are a BIG win maintenance-wise. No more cable stretch, crap getting into the housings, having to change cables and hard-to-route housings every year.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
p5 has too much stack and theyre discontinuing the p4.

still sticking with my p3sl
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone figure out where to mount a computer yet? One the size of a Garmin Edge series that is, doesn't look like there's much option. http://www.slowtwitch.com/...5_unveiled_2538.html

Could be I don't buy a second P5 now!

Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [atomic916] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well you could use the bolts present for a center bottle if you don't put a bottle there

or the bolts on the top tube

or mount it wherever you mount a computer now

atomic916 wrote:
Has anyone figure out where to mount a computer yet? One the size of a Garmin Edge series that is, doesn't look like there's much option. http://www.slowtwitch.com/...5_unveiled_2538.html

Could be I don't buy a second P5 now!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eki1 wrote:
I must admit for all my negativity towards Cervelo (which is warranted)

you can keep posting stupid shit all day, but if the bike proves to have less drag, nobody is going to care =)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. But who would not put a bottle there?

2. Can't imagine having to look that far back.

3. My current setup is on my stem (since the between-the-aerobars-bottle-holder takes up the rest of the room). Doesn't look like that's an option.

BTW. My post should have been all pink perhaps, just trying to inject a little triviality into the debate. I would love to upgrade my 2004 aluminum P3!
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [markg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I take it you have never raced on a technical course? Yes I know many triathletes that won't go over 25 mph even on a downhill, but those of us that DO appreciate being able to have good brakes when we get to that sharp turn at the bottom of the hill!!

Not to mention training. Presumably it won't be a race-day-only bike. Folks might appreciate well-functioning brakes when cars pull out in front of you, when dogs get loose and come at you from the side, when ...
Quote Reply

Prev Next