Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi styrrell,

Yep, would be nicer to have some firmer boundaries to push. But the new tech rep at the UCI is actually quite good.
By the way, brakes (and derailleurs, maybe other parts I can't remember off the top of my head) are specifically exempt from the 3:1 regulation.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damon
so if I am reading the arm pad stack and reach chart correctly
if I need a 56cm bike with 596cm of arm pad stack I would need x-low set up and add 15mm of fork spacers under Aduro stem since the the pads sit on the bar on that set up?
or am I putting 15mm of spacers under arm pads?
the difference being that if I initially were to use regular stem with 40mm of stack (all 3T stems) then I would have to cut steerer tube with extra 15mm to use the Aduro later on.
am I understanding that correctly?
thanks again
Rob
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [drgwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Rob,

Sounds like you've got it. I haven't checked your numbers, but I can confirm that the only spacers we are planning to provide go on the fork under the Aduro stem (between the stem and frame), not under the arm pads. So you'd want your steerer length to be about 40+15+("a little more just to be sure") = 55+mm longer than your frame's head tube length. That's typically as short as most people might cut it anyway, as a typical ~15mm headset top cap + ~40mm stem clamp totals up to ~55mm or so as well.

That said, the pads do bolt onto the bar with two M5 bolts spaced 25mm apart in tandem, same as 3T's other pads. So if you're willing to space them upwards it's no problem, but the extensions stay where they are (ski bends maybe?)

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't you see Tom, it's the shape made by the negative space in the middle of the frame that's almost the same between the two bikes. This P5 is just a Plasma with a more rounded hole between the head, top, down, and seat tubes.

Tom A. wrote:
Philb wrote:
The P5 may look like the Plasma, but the big question is 'which is more aero?', That is all that matters. We will have to wait and see.

OK...aside from the shapes (and not the sizes) of the frame "fillets" (in particular the seat tube-to-top tube fillet), I'm not seeing why everyone says it looks just like the Plasma.

Heck, to my eye, the frames look more different than alike in the details and execution...to say that Cervelo "just copied the Plasma" is merely being lazy.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [nilloc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Damon,

What is the weight of the P5-Six frame? The pricepoint of the base frame is lower than the S5 base (since the S5 base has just gone up $2000).
If you cannot give us an exact weight perhaps you can say if the layup equivalent to the S5 base, Team or VWD or somewhere in between?

Thanks for answering our questions.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [ScottWassy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Scott,

Production is ramping up as we speak so we don't yet have a statistical weight, but early production frames have been about 100 grams more than the P4. This could go up or down a little as manufacturing processes get tuned. Much of this added weight is due to the increased surface area (for example the longer-chord head and seat tubes are nearly double that of the P4), which is one of the engineered features that gives the P5 its good aerodynamic performance.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any reason not to have the RD cable exit the seat stay instead of the chain stay. Would it not allow for a shorter run to the RD. I do get that it is optimal for the internal run Di2 but it is not optimal for a cable run RD.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [nilloc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nilloc,
Thus I guess all road frames are the same. :-)

H
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Damon,

Quick question. And this might have already been answered but I just want to confirm that you can run a mechanical group on the P5 6 frameset?

And when do you think the framesets will be available?

Thanks!

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
Hi Scott,

Production is ramping up as we speak so we don't yet have a statistical weight, but early production frames have been about 100 grams more than the P4. This could go up or down a little as manufacturing processes get tuned. Much of this added weight is due to the increased surface area (for example the longer-chord head and seat tubes are nearly double that of the P4), which is one of the engineered features that gives the P5 its good aerodynamic performance.

Cheers,

Thanks. Will post your response on the Cervelo forums where someone else asked as well. I don't know what the P4 weighs but I assume it's reasonable. ( I will do a search of course).

Cheers

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do you have any pictures of the aerobar set up of "X-LO"?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a picture of the low bars, and the way I understand it, X Low is actually the bars mounted below the base bars.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 56cm P4 frames weighs 1200g. I guess that makes the P5 about 1300g
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About the same as the S5 Base/ Team.

Also about the same as a Shiv.

(Edit: Deleted my stupid theory).
Last edited by: ScottWassy: Jan 21, 12 19:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damon, a question regarding fit: to fit more riders and to give them the confidence to put the P5's bars where they want, I wonder if Cervelo could get 3T could make a version of the aerobar stem 'cover' where the cover would have a perfectly sized hole to fit the steerer tube, should a rider not want to fully cut down the steerer (for future fit options).

This way the stem cover could still be installed, but the steerer tube could poke out (with a steerer cap, of course), if temporarily. If there is not enough space in the current carbon stem box design to run the cables and hydraulic hose on either or both sides of the steerer, then maybe it could be possible to have a few small angled cable holes in the sides of the stem shroud. This would let the cables poke out and then run right back into the stem with seemingly minimal aero (or cosmetic) penalty. Clearly, having some of the steerer poking out from the stem cover wouldn't be so aero, but maybe a lot more riders could have more future fit options. And these might be small compromises to make to get more riders on the P5.

Plus, a small change like this would tie-in well with part of one of the P5's goals:
"Simpler and easier to live with."

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alright, I'll bite.

Really??

The basic frame shape, minus the kamm tail on the seat tube, from a profile pic, 2d, looks the same. Minus the fork of course.

Do I think cervelo copied scott? No.
Do I think having similar aspects as another bike is bad? No.

Are the super bikes starting to look alike? Yes.
Do I care? No.

However, to honestly state that you don't see the similarities is some what concerning, especially in regards to your vision.

You are an expert, and I fully admit I don't know shit, but they look similar. However, I would still buy the p5 over all others, if I could get my hands on a frameset by February.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the bottle occupying the space between the arms, I'm curious if you have identified or thought about the best place to put a computer/power meter head unit. Bike looks awesome... I'm trying to figure out how I can afford one!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ScottWassy wrote:
What is the weight of the P5-Six frame? The pricepoint of the base frame is lower than the S5 base (since the S5 base has just gone up $2000).

Huh? The P5-Six frame is $6500, the P5-Three frame is $4500, and the S5 base frameset is still $3000. Where did you get that the S5 price went up by $2K?

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the Cervelo website. Base S5 frame is $5000

http://cervelo.com/...012/S5/prices-specs/
Last edited by: ScottWassy: Jan 21, 12 18:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
reading comprehension is not your strong suit is it? It looks like $3000 for the base frame to me, then team frame is $3800 and the VWD $5900.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ScottWassy wrote:
On the Cervelo website. Base S5 frame is $5000

http://cervelo.com/...012/S5/prices-specs/

Ummm...OK...I followed the link and this is what I saw:

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EDIT: It does specifically mention USD for the P5 sothe US site is converting the price to NZ dollars. My bad. Poor Kiwi's getting ripped off with their low $ and 15% GST.

(I went home to Aussie to buy mine for cheaper + NZ dealers don't even sell the S5 base frame). That means it got $2000 more expensive when I flew back to NZ. :)
Last edited by: ScottWassy: Jan 21, 12 19:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(ski bends maybe?)
------------------------
Is that an option?

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I read that the bars are interchangeable but my reading comprehension could do with some work. ;)
Last edited by: ScottWassy: Jan 21, 12 19:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Damon,

Just wondering if you compared a P4 and a P5 (in the wind tunnel) with a water bottle on the down tube, as the P4 enables you to carry 470 ml. of fluid. My guess is that by adding the bottle on the P5 that the P4 ends up being faster. This would be an apples to apples comparison, as the bottle on the bars can be added on both models. I have had a P4 since it first came out and am very happy with it. I don't understand all the controversy it has created as it is an awsome bike.

Thanks
Quote Reply

Prev Next