Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no fiddling ability whatsoever. Do you think it is safe to say that my shop could rig the Di2 sprinter shifters to work on the bar ends and still have the cables routed internally?
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Posuer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Posuer wrote:
I have no fiddling ability whatsoever. Do you think it is safe to say that my shop could rig the Di2 sprinter shifters to work on the bar ends and still have the cables routed internally?
Thanks

don't know, depends how clever the shop is and what aerobar you use - in other words will there be room to run the wires?

you could always hide them under the bar tape, the along the trailing edge of the base bar, worst case.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some good photos on Aaron Hersh's site.

Didn't notice before that the brake cover is three piece. Do those lower covers move with the brake calipers?

I'm picturing a "single piece" cover with a solid leading edge from aero bars to the forks with moving covers fixed directly onto the upper part of the caliper arms...

Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to leave this here, just for laughs.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...y%20cervelo;#3637539
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant, it was you who said it wouldn't be worth it or something.
glib wrote:
I'm going to leave this here, just for laughs.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...y%20cervelo;#3637539
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [glib] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try to ride a Firecrest or any other over sized rim on that bike. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a problem with FCs?

Cervelo's gospel says otherwise:

Quote:
Brake: Aero by Cervélo, hydraulics by Magura. The P5 brake system is aerodynamically superior to and lighter than any standard caliper or disc brake. The zero-maintenance hydraulic system also provides outstanding modulation and superior stopping power. It includes integrated aero brake levers and an aerodynamic caliper design. And the calipers adjust to fit all wheels, including the newest wide rims. The P5 is the only tri bike in the world featuring a hydraulic brake as OEM equipment in 2012.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Ridley you posted about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh...

I only mentioned it to give an example of current bikes with integrated, hidden, aero, etc brakes.
Last edited by: glib: Jan 24, 12 14:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
glib wrote:
glib wrote:
I'm going to leave this here, just for laughs.http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...y%20cervelo;#3637539

Well...based on the estimate given by Cervelo that the difference between the "faired" and "non-faired" brake is only 17g of drag (at 30mph tunnel speed)...well, it actually really isn't a very big difference at all...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Jan 24, 12 15:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont think much rigging would be necessary, they plug right in. Keep in mind that the spriter shifters only control the RD not the front, but that might be okay with you. As far as running it internally, no idea but its just wires, you may not even notice them under the the bar tape.

Most people use Cateye buttons, you have to splice them in but the instructions are out there on the web and its a simple splice.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damon, one thing that I don't think has been covered yet - how easy is it to adjust the brake for different rim widths? So if I want to use an H3 for low yaw days, and a Jet 9 for when I think there is enough wind to get into that magic 10 degree yaw region, is there a quick way to adjust the brake in and out by twiddling an adjuster, or will it need something like washers moving to the other side of the arm?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so, if what you've quoted is true (based on the estimate given by Cervelo that the difference between the "faired" and "non-faired" brake is only 17g of drag (at 30mph tunnel speed)...well, it actually really isn't a very big difference at all..)

then that is a steep $2,000 premium

$4500 without fork
$6500 with fork

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Steve,

Two ways to adjust for rim width:

1. 2.5mm allen key in the front of the lever. This adjusts the position of the piston in the master cylinder, thus the brake pad width, much like a barrel adjuster on mechanical brakes. There is a big range here.
  2. Washers between the brake shoe and arm. Or not.
In practice, most people will probably find a set up that lets them accommodate the various rims with the least hassle. The 2.5mm allen key is easy, as is letting the lever take up some of the travel (just squeezing farther).

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
so, if what you've quoted is true (based on the estimate given by Cervelo that the difference between the "faired" and "non-faired" brake is only 17g of drag (at 30mph tunnel speed)...well, it actually really isn't a very big difference at all..)

then that is a steep $2,000 premium

$4500 without fork
$6500 with fork

It's $2000 for the tri fork, Aduro aerobar, and brakes. I think the brakes are around $750 and, considering the Ventus is over $1,000, it would not surprise me if the Aduro is not in the same ballpark. There is a big chunk of your $2000.

I remember reading somewhere that the difference with the fork and fairing was 17g of drag, but I do not remember seeing the difference with the Aduro and another bar such as the Aura.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
glib wrote:
glib wrote:
I'm going to leave this here, just for laughs.http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...y%20cervelo;#3637539

Well...based on the estimate given by Cervelo that the difference between the "faired" and "non-faired" brake is only 17g of drag (at 30mph tunnel speed)...well, it actually really isn't a very big difference at all...
If the difference is negligible, why would anyone pick the more expensive model?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
glib wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
glib wrote:
glib wrote:

If the difference is negligible, why would anyone pick the more expensive model?

Well, to be fair, we haven't seen the drag plots yet...so that 17g drag number might be at zero yaw (with larger amounts at higher yaw), or it might be an average with actually larger values at zero yaw...dunno yet. We'll just have to wait until Damon is done training dealers and gets home and has time to finish up his report ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [kenpetruzzelli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for clarification. You are correct.

With that at hand, is the P3 a deal now or what! Full bike for $3350.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because it looks cool!!
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes the P3 would be a great deal with the right aerobars, front brake and front wheel. That is as long you fit the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
glib wrote:
The difference between the UCI legal and illegal versions is small, but not negligible. If the difference between the P4 and the illegal P5 is 7W, then if the illegal is 2W faster than the legal, that means the extra money increases the drag saving over a P4 by 40% (2/(7-2)).

Interestingly the UK pricing is a bit different. The legal frameset is GBP 3500 and the illegal is 4500. So for GBP 1000 (~$1500) we get the deeper fork, the Aduro bar and the Magura brakes and levers. That's really not an excessive premium for all that.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Irwin wrote:
glib wrote:

The difference between the UCI legal and illegal versions is small, but not negligible. If the difference between the P4 and the illegal P5 is 7W, then if the illegal is 2W faster than the legal, that means the extra money increases the drag saving over a P4 by 40% (2/(7-2)).

Interestingly the UK pricing is a bit different. The legal frameset is GBP 3500 and the illegal is 4500. So for GBP 1000 (~$1500) we get the deeper fork, the Aduro bar and the Magura brakes and levers. That's really not an excessive premium for all that.
And while 40% seems like a lot, it's still just a few watts.

I remember reading about a frame that was 15% stiffer and thinking, "Wow, 15%!"

It turns out that part of frame #1 flexed 1mm while frame #2 flexed 150 micro-meters more. 150 micro-meters. As I said in the other thread, it seems like every road model is 5% lighter and 15% stiffer than last year's model.

Here in triathlon world it is X% more aero and will save you X amount of time. Sorry to be a downer, I just have an aversion to that type of hype. It looks like a rad bike. I want one.

I just can't decide if I should get a P5 or wait a few years for the P6, which will save me an additional 40% of drag and 30 seconds over 40km ;)
Last edited by: glib: Jan 24, 12 19:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can go ahead and get the 5 =)
The 4 saved about 100 grams of drag over the three
the 5 saved about 75 over the 4
the 6? maybe 25 =)

to keep it in perspective, a P3C with zipps has about 5 minutes of aero drag per 40k in it.

the p4 took about 40 seconds off of that, so 4 minutes 20 seconds

the p5 takes about another 30 seconds off that

so on a complete bike with wheels and gruppo and frame and everything, there are 3 minutes 50 seconds left.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like your positive attitude.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(sincerely)
Quote Reply