Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Wurf to ITU [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
chrisb12 wrote:
Xiamen 70.3 was just won by Marten Vanriel in a 4+ min course record, his first race at this distance. The womens was easily won also by Ashleigh Gentle, who was also first out of water and this her first longer race too. I know these weren't top fields but it does show that ITU athletes are better than they get credit for. Tonight will be interesting, too bad it is terrible time for us southern hemisphere fans.

just about everyone gives them credit for being great, it seems, except Americans

Well, there's not WTS race here...so nothing to pay attention to. But plenty of 70.3s and 140.6s.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf to ITU [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
chrisb12 wrote:
Xiamen 70.3 was just won by Marten Vanriel in a 4+ min course record, his first race at this distance. The womens was easily won also by Ashleigh Gentle, who was also first out of water and this her first longer race too. I know these weren't top fields but it does show that ITU athletes are better than they get credit for. Tonight will be interesting, too bad it is terrible time for us southern hemisphere fans.

just about everyone gives them credit for being great, it seems, except Americans

Well, there's not WTS race here...so nothing to pay attention to. But plenty of 70.3s and 140.6s.

Plenty of Europeans pay attention to NBA and NFL. Just saying ...
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf to ITU [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the coverage always this bad for WC events? They don't even have live timing info coming up when the swimmers came out of the water. So no idea where Wurf is at all.

Edit: they just showed him on the bike all by himself, and his kit looked like the guy that got out of the water way behind literally everyone else (I was looking for an AUS kit but he wasn't in one). So went about as most expected.
Last edited by: Sean H: Nov 10, 19 3:28
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf to ITU [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope this coverage is crap, it is a world cup not WTS so is only covered by local race organisers not the massive team that produce WTS coverage.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf to ITU [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Plenty"....

very few, indeed, to my experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Is the coverage always this bad for WC events? They don't even have live timing info coming up when the swimmers came out of the water. So no idea where Wurf is at all.

Edit: they just showed him on the bike all by himself, and his kit looked like the guy that got out of the water way behind literally everyone else (I was looking for an AUS kit but he wasn't in one). So went about as most expected.

Wurf only got dropped because of his elite endurance talent.... Van Riel only won the 70.3 because the talented long course guys didn’t show up. Ashleigh Gentile, who can’t swim in WTS, was only first out of the water because the talented long course swimmers didn’t show up.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf to ITU [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If anything, I often feel as if the ITU guys have pushed the 70.3 guys to another level, perhaps after Gomez stepped up to 70.3 in 2014 and schooled Frodeno. ITU guys are the formula 1 athletes of our sport and most are great at three sports these days, so no surprise that whenever they decide to race 70.3 they do it better than most 70.3 pros. No disrespect to 70.3 guys in my post, I enjoy watching and following all distances.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf to ITU [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It makes you wonder why more 2nd tier ITU athletes don't make the switch over to long course in their prime. I guess the Olympics is that big of a draw (or it's the federation support)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending in the country they are from, some 2nd tier wts athletes would still make their countries Olympic team. Seriously that is most kids dream. Gentle and Vanriel are not 2nd tier athletes though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone seen Wurf anywhere?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at external site stats (just woke up w/ flu so didn't see race or how the tactics played out):

They dont have an official swim time for Wurf but they have a T1 time of 20:17 (about ~35-40s for T1)....so a time of ~19:40

Varga went 17:00 for 1st

McElroy went 17:22 (22nd place swim)

Bike splits:

Wurf 53:06

McElroy 50:38

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
47th out of 59

36:15 10k

Will NOT get points due to outside 5% rule even though he finished top 50.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Olympics and money it seems. ITU races pay a bit more and you can do a few more races per year. GTN did a pretty decent and unbiased (for the most part) analysis of the economics and finances.

Saw Wurf finishing when they were interviewing McDowell..about 11 min behind the winner, compared to Van Riel's race...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
It makes you wonder why more 2nd tier ITU athletes don't make the switch over to long course in their prime. I guess the Olympics is that big of a draw (or it's the federation support)

Hmm, it’s a thinker. Same thing is happening in the Mary Cain thread, and also in the Lavender Room.

The answer is money.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a link to the external site? I have found nothing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah yes go ask Joe Maloy, Eric Lagerstrom and Jason Pedersen from the Tri Squad back in the day. Joe made the Olympics, Eric was 1st alternate and JP was 1st place after the 1st WTS event in the Rio qualification period. I think Joe Maloy made $12,000 that year in "earnlngs".

Lived 6 people in a 2 bedroom apartment, basically those 3 sleeping in same room with mattresses on floors.

There's not a lot of money in ITU especially outside of top 5/10 finisheres (top 10 for WTS, top 5 for WC's et).

They are doing it for the pure enjoyment of going "all in" and grinding their way to an chance at olympics one day.....there's no money in that, sorry Eric. In fact if you get to know most of those guys, they are able to grind away mainly because of supportive parents and building sponsors, etc. But they ain't doing this for the money....there's no money in 2nd tier ITU.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Nov 10, 19 5:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://runsignup.com/...sult/fhpZ?#U40673136

2nd to last of the finishers.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I think if they are finishing around top 10 in the series they are probably making enough to get by. Everyone else needs good sponsors and families willing to support the Olympic dream.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have to wonder if that is accurate. Has Wurf for a 17:40 swim (only :41 behind Varga), that's incredible. But then has him with a 2:37 T1 whereas everyone else was around :30.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf to ITU [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ouch....just saw the splits..that was a lot worse than I expected, kudos for giving it a shot though. Don't expect to see many mid and long course guys racing ITU guys in the nearby future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Have to wonder if that is accurate. Has Wurf for a 17:40 swim (only :41 behind Varga), that's incredible. But then has him with a 2:37 T1 whereas everyone else was around :30.

Oh Yeah, that can't be right, I thought I saw him exiting swim way down the field, last, 2nd last or there abouts pretty much after others were well gone. I may been wrong though, it caught me off guard as I was looking for a green suit.
Last edited by: chrisb12: Nov 10, 19 5:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I posted previously Wurf had no swim time and only had a T1 swim time. Which calculates out to around 19:40 (2:40 behind 1st swimmer). Hope it was a great racvacation for him. Now back to his regularly scheduled IM life.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A fair comparison is to see if a top 60 ranked ITU guy makes more or less money than a top 60 ranke IM pro and perhaps 12k per year is 12k per year more than a top 60 IM pro?. Assuming the ITU field has way more depth, perhaps a top 60 ITU guy could switch to being a top 20 IM pro and make more money? On the other hand, because IM has a bit more exposure to the masses, maybe it is easier to get sponsors in the IM circuit? Perhaps this is the reason why Frodeno said wining Kona did more for him than winning Olympic gold. Either way, I would like to see triathletes making a bit more money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, that makes the Aus selectors job a little easier, no pure domestique athletes likely now. He did go worse than I expected, I thought he may have caught up on the bike, or at least held his own, only to get blown away on the run.
Aus will need some very good results early next season or 3 athletes won't be happening .
Quote Reply

Prev Next