Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Wurf to ITU [zestypollizzi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The guy's crazy enough to give it a shot.....It's almost an underrated smart idea at getting some swim fitness, however the race to that 1st turn boy is just going to be unreal. The scrum that happens isn't even done justice by the video coverage.....But I hope he goes out and gets his name on the world ranking ledger atleast.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf to ITU [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I just looked, its SC (M or Y, can't say) and the clip was just him getting about 2 seconds rest before going on the next one.

how many he's doing, no clue....

If it was in Aust (or Europe), it's certainly not going to be yards.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf to ITU [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
The guy's crazy enough to give it a shot.....It's almost an underrated smart idea at getting some swim fitness, however the race to that 1st turn boy is just going to be unreal. The scrum that happens isn't even done justice by the video coverage.....But I hope he goes out and gets his name on the world ranking ledger atleast.

Itā€™s a nice idea, but I canā€™t shake the memories of Macca in 2011 when he returned to ITU. Last out of the swim and dropped out on the bike. Ok, it was WTS not World Cup, but in relative terms Macca was faster than Wurf.

Iā€™d love to be eating my words, though, heā€™s a cool guy.
Last edited by: bluefever: Nov 7, 19 21:54
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf to ITU [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Last on swim and dropped on bike"?

really impressive to not be dropped in the swim though. Not really the Ironman-itee between the dolphins scenario prediction
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thereā€™s a distinct difference in WTS and WC levels especially the swim. But the general idea will be the same. Last 10 out of water and of course those guys around him will likely be of little assistance on the bike. There will be some Caribbean athlete(s) coming out well behind the others. But yeah itā€™ll be similar result.

His swim video looked like he wasnā€™t going all out but thereā€™s no context so not much to take alway.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf to ITU [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
"Last on swim and dropped on bike"?

really impressive to not be dropped in the swim though. Not really the Ironman-itee between the dolphins scenario prediction

That's not what I wrote :) I wrote 'dropped out on the bike'

He was indeed dropped in the swim.

Not sure why you edited my post? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really hope he does well, it would be cool.

I was wondering actually, we have plenty of ITU athletes who have gone to IM and done very well.

Have any IM athletes ever gone the other way? I cant think of one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once you go ā€œlongā€ you pretty much lose all ability to tap into the anaerobic fast twitch type of muscles etc. thatā€™s why the progression now is no one leaves itu until they get old and slow and canā€™t make $$ and/or federation support.

Itā€™s why they are able to do 70ā€™s within same training season pretty well, but would struggle at the actual IM distance simply because itā€™s so different with energy systems + fueling.

Itā€™ll be fun to watch him, as I said getting his name on the ranking ledger would be all that can be expected.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluefever wrote:

Jill Savage started off in IMs and dropped down to ITU and won a couple of races, including out kicking Siri Lindley. No doubt her hubby can provide more details.

It'd be interesting to see Lucy Charles in an ITU or WTS race.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
most people who "go long" never went short in the first place

The progression now is the way it is not because of some weird "going long" physiology, but because that's where the talent is. Put Ironman in the Olympics and it's the other way around.

B_Doughtie wrote:
Once you go ā€œlongā€ you pretty much lose all ability to tap into the anaerobic fast twitch type of muscles etc. thatā€™s why the progression now is no one leaves itu until they get old and slow and canā€™t make $$ and/or federation support.

Itā€™s why they are able to do 70ā€™s within same training season pretty well, but would struggle at the actual IM distance simply because itā€™s so different with energy systems + fueling.

Itā€™ll be fun to watch him, as I said getting his name on the ranking ledger would be all that can be expected.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

ā€œYou are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.ā€
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluefever wrote:
I really hope he does well, it would be cool.

I was wondering actually, we have plenty of ITU athletes who have gone to IM and done very well.

I know that this comes from "back in the day" when triathletes raced all distances but here is an example of literally what you are talking about.

Karen Smyers wins Ironman Hawaii 1995 and then five weeks later wins the ITU World Champs in Cancun..
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Nov 8, 19 12:42
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf to ITU [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would disagree mainly because most athletes canā€™t handle the volume required to race the IM well at a young age. Who in the pro ranks is winning IMā€™s at the young age of say 26-27 and under? 70ā€™s is completely different than an IM.

Hell are the Africans running marathons at a young age these days?

Which sport is the Olympics doesnā€™t really matter. You donā€™t Max out your endurance and then suddenly move to short course and get faster. You can do it but not at your best etc.

skills- speed- endurance has always been the pathway physiological that Iā€™ve ever seen in methodology,

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Nov 8, 19 13:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hasnā€™t Iden said that Kona is on his 2020 plans after he does Olympics. Heā€™ll be 24 next year, he hasnā€™t paid his ā€œduesā€ at the distance or Kona. Nonetheless, if he makes it to the starting line, he will bring some excitement. Heā€™ll definitely get more attention than he got going in to Nice.

Lots of talent, good training environment and good attitude. *IF* he does an Ironman (and it should be a BIG if), it would be our first time to see someone still at the top of their short course game and such a young age dabble in the long stuff. Hopefully any sort of dabbling would not hurt his short course speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf to ITU [kbd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He KQā€™s with his 70 world championship so all he has to do is validate finish an IM before Kona right? So my guess is if he had to qualify any other way heā€™d not be doing it.

Iā€™d say heā€™s going to be suited well for LC and less suited for itu success except on exceptional courses.

But thereā€™s a reason why almost all the non itu guys sit at 70 racing for years before finally moving up to IM. Itā€™s really unheard of to turn to IM at 24/25 pretty much exclusively or with any regularity.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sam Long (23) won IMChoo ā€˜19 but heā€™s a bit of an outlier
Egan Bernal (22) just won TdF, though
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf to ITU [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So are you naming outliers to disprove or prove my point?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Egan Bernal did not win the TdF. Thereā€™s no way someone that young could handle the volume.

B_Doughtie wrote:
So are you naming outliers to disprove or prove my point?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

ā€œYou are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.ā€
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
He KQā€™s with his 70 world championship so all he has to do is validate finish an IM before Kona right? So my guess is if he had to qualify any other way heā€™d not be doing it.

Iā€™d say heā€™s going to be suited well for LC and less suited for itu success except on exceptional courses.

But thereā€™s a reason why almost all the non itu guys sit at 70 racing for years before finally moving up to IM. Itā€™s really unheard of to turn to IM at 24/25 pretty much exclusively or with any regularity.
Lucy Charles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I would disagree mainly because most athletes canā€™t handle the volume required to race the IM well at a young age. Who in the pro ranks is winning IMā€™s at the young age of say 26-27 and under? 70ā€™s is completely different than an IM.

Hell are the Africans running marathons at a young age these days?

Which sport is the Olympics doesnā€™t really matter. You donā€™t Max out your endurance and then suddenly move to short course and get faster. You can do it but not at your best etc.

skills- speed- endurance has always been the pathway physiological that Iā€™ve ever seen in methodology,

Yes, young africans are going straight to the marathon etc bypassing the track.

Isn't Kate Allen someone who did ironmans and also won Athens Olympics around the same time?
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf to ITU [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

Isn't Kate Allen someone who did ironmans and also won Athens Olympics around the same time?

Kate Allen...one of the biggest mysteries in triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf to ITU [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny pic of Wurf at the itu pre-race meeting....let's hope it's not foreshadowing of what's to come.

Wurf's sitting all by himself, as I think he's the only athlete from the the oceania region.

(Posting pics on ST is a big ass pain in the ass, as it seems the image file is too large every time I try and post one)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4oD4WSg3PF/

Last race being an olympic, there's sure to be some tired bodies out there, let's hope everyone stays safe out there.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have a lot to go on but if I just boiled it to some fundamentals of principals of training (in this case; specificity) I think he's gonna get schooled - AND the field isn't even that deep. Looks like there's a wee bit of shore break to split the pool swimmers from those with more open water experience in the first 50m https://twitter.com/.../1193252157882957825

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He does have an open seat next to him, but I expected much more isolation based on the description!

I see Andrea Hewitt. Not sure how the Aussies and Kiwis get on though. I also sense individual relationships often trump national or regional relationships in that scene.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf to ITU [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xiamen 70.3 was just won by Marten Vanriel in a 4+ min course record, his first race at this distance. The womens was easily won also by Ashleigh Gentle, who was also first out of water and this her first longer race too. I know these weren't top fields but it does show that ITU athletes are better than they get credit for. Tonight will be interesting, too bad it is terrible time for us southern hemisphere fans.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf to ITU [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
Xiamen 70.3 was just won by Marten Vanriel in a 4+ min course record, his first race at this distance. The womens was easily won also by Ashleigh Gentle, who was also first out of water and this her first longer race too. I know these weren't top fields but it does show that ITU athletes are better than they get credit for. Tonight will be interesting, too bad it is terrible time for us southern hemisphere fans.

just about everyone gives them credit for being great, it seems, except Americans

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply

Prev Next