Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [white wizzard] [ In reply to ]

Record10Carbon, is that you?

Mate, no one is saying what he did was right. Actually, everyone agrees he fucked up. And he fessed up. Maybe he did under pressure, but then, so what? He did nonetheless.
As you said, it's just the internet. Had he kept quiet, what would have happened? The whole thing would have disappeared. At least he didn't come up with a 15min hilarious
video of how he did have such a great race (Frank, once again, thanks for the laugh!)
He's a young kid who fucked up during a long long day...and took a bit too long to stop this crap. It wasn't smart. He learned his lesson (I hope...I don't know him...)
I don't think anyone says it's an example of integrity. But at least, he admitted to it, regardless of why. He deserves to be beaten up a bit because it was fucking dumb. But he
also deserves a second chance.

Now, will the accused post his bike fit video in the living room for the entertainment of the ST crowd?

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [RP McMurphy] [ In reply to ]

RP McMurphy wrote:
So you don't trust anyone who has ever lied? Well then you can't trust me, or really anyone including yourself. Everyone lies. Its what people do. What you are doing is heaping all wrongs you feel people have done to you onto this kid. You've seen bad behavior and have been screwed over by people, but the worst part is that you now have let this kids actions put you right back into that place where you felt that vulnerability, so you and white wizzard (or sniper100, whoever I am responding too) actually have some apologizing to yourself you should be doing. You've been living the lie that people shouldn't lie and cheat, but they do. How much have you cheated yourself out of by believing that thought? How many times have you robbed yourself of peace and happiness and given yourself stress and anxiety over something that happened years ago and probably only happened once? How ever many times you were cheated and lied too I am willing to bet you have relived it hundreds of more times. Try this...let go of the thought that these things shouldn't happen, accept that they do. Don't worry about what another person is doing, its not your business. Just worry about your business.

Hold up man, my previous post in this thread was bagging on ww as well so don't lump me in with all his negativity. I much prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [ttmonkey] [ In reply to ]

To triathlon1989, thank you for being the subject of this thread! As a relative newbie to these boards, I hadn't heard of finman, newbz, or kip litton,...all of which were mentioned on this thread. Reading about all of these (much more culpable than you IMHO) incidents provided great entertainment value for me during an otherwise very slow day. Much better than the usual "did Crowie's Shiv save 5 minutes, or 4.9 minutes" threads! In all seriousness, I commend you for owning up to your mistake,.... those could not have been easy conversations to have. There will be better days man. Learn from this and move on!

I think you need to reexamine what your assessment of Triathlon1989 has been in this thread. You called him a scumbag, said this was a window into his character, equating his actions to those of Bernie Madoff, implicitly stated that he is horribly dishonest, and that he has no honesty, integrity, honor, or character.

What's this talk about the old days of Slowtwitch where you are the victim? Seems like you fall right into line with what you are complaining about.

-----------------------------------
team website: http://snappletriteam.com/

team blog: http://snappletriteam.com/?page_id=10

Did you bump your head too hard during your battle with the flame of Udûn?

I'd love to believe RX just made a bad decision in the heat of the moment, has realized the error of his ways, and wishes to make amends. This being ST, let me play DA for a moment:

1. He didn't come forward (to ST or WTC) until he was called out.
2. He didn't just cross the line, he went to the officials and instead of saying "I dropped out; don't count my finish." he made up an elaborate story about losing his chip.
3. By posting his mea culpa here in the way he did, he may only be doing damage control, not contrition. If he's outed and his full name is printed in this forum it starts showing up when future employers and dates google him. Take it from someone else in IT, that'll get your resume shredded.

My personal vote for his punishment: 2 year ban (same as doping) from IMs and "community service" of volunteering both years at an Energy Lab aid station helping those who had the courage to do what he did not.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [dongustav] [ In reply to ]

I think the white wizard is the guy that had a car boat... can't remember his name DaveH20 or something

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [Muh] [ In reply to ]

h2ofun.

He disappeared the same day as ank-Fray ay-day (don't want to risk the banhammer). You do the math.
Last edited by: eganski: Oct 12, 11 14:24

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [triathlon1989] [ In reply to ]

There may never be a good time and there is no time like the present. If your not planning on going back anytime soon, can I have your IM finishes?? I'm trying to get to 12 =O

Nice job coming out and good job on your other results.

FYI I (head timer), the Race Director and Head referee have received a letter of apology from the person in question and arrangement are being made to have the finisher medal and t-shirt returned at this point. The results will be changed from a DNF to a DQ. Further action might be taken but this is a USAT rule that was broken.

For your reference, here is the rule that the person in question violated;

3.4 Race Conduct. All participants in USA Triathlon sanctioned events must adhere to the rules in this Section 3.4:
a. Entire Course. Participants must cover the prescribed course in its entirety. It is the participant's responsibility to know the course. Any violation of this section, even if no advantage is gained, shall result in a variable time penalty, unless the Head Referee in his sole discretion determines that (i) the violation was substantial and resulted in an unfair time advantage, or (ii) the violation constituted endangerment under Section 3.4(l). In the event the Head Referee makes such a determination, the penalty shall be disqualification.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [ChrispyG] [ In reply to ]

Everybody makes mistakes. In my opinion it's what you do AFTER the mistake that is the measure of a man.

It's not easy to eat a shit sandwich and it's worse when you serve it to yourself. But it looks like the kid is willing to do that to make things right and I can respect that.

Live and learn.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [sniper100] [ In reply to ]

Sorry this was for White Wizard.

hey, hey, hey, don't forget- Stan Yablonsky never cold cocked no woman.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [Muh] [ In reply to ]

I always find it fascinating how we pick and choose who to demonize after these incidents and who gets a free pass. Some bring a shovel and others seem hazier, but still get buried, and some bring a shovel and get a free pass.

As far as the guy that posted here, lost the chip, and cut the course, I can see it go down the way he explained it but regardless it is damage control. There is a ton of scrutiny involved with dnf's and avoiding it creates a huge incentive. However, getting called out publicly and having to post an explanation is a pretty difficult thing to do. I'm not going to judge a guy's character over the internet but I would definately hate to go through what he's experiencing now which is probably worse than anything the WTC can do to him.

I would rather go through life trusting most and believing in the good of others and getting burned for it from time to time then to never trust or forgive others.

Sometimes those that have the toughest time forgiving or trusting in others are those who have made the biggest mistakes and know personally the worst that can reside in some.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [tri-n-climb] [ In reply to ]

As someone who finished an Ironman (IMKY) in 17:00:17 (clock-time), this really irks me. Everyone is congratulating this guy for coming clean, but how hard would it have been for him to just walk those 5 miles. Heck, I walked 25 miles of IMKY with the worst leg cramps I've ever experienced. He would have finished an hour down, but still FINISHED the Kona Ironman. He wasn't looking to win in the 1st place. I just don't get that. Walk those miles and finish legit.

If you were to say I could have 'cheated' and cut the course by 400 yards to finish under 17hrs, never in a million years would I have done it.

I don't think there should be a punishment for him. He clearly qualified and then cut the course and got a DQ. That's punishment enough. The mental hangover he'll have will last a lifetime.

Sorry that I'm not comending him for coming forward, but if no one called him out, it never would have happened.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]

Titanflexr wrote:

My personal vote for his punishment: 2 year ban (same as doping) from IMs and "community service" of volunteering both years at an Energy Lab aid station helping those who had the courage to do what he did not.

Nice thought, but you can't require that kind of expense, and I doubt they'd pay for his ticket to come "do his time".

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [elecengrman] [ In reply to ]

elecengrman wrote:
Speaking of cheating...I check ebay every now and again to see if people are selling their finisher medals...check the description on this one.

http://www.ebay.com/...;hash=item20bd87ea2a

I almost bid but it's an ugly medal.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [Shakeandbake] [ In reply to ]

Check the DNF list and check his times?

OP gave quite a bit of info about the douchebag, so should be relatively easy to find if you really want.

Beware however, as I have been resoundingly chastised for my comments about a known tri cheater, here on ST. I suspect Racer X (cheating one) will come across as plausible and nice as the person I've got grief about.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [Macca] [ In reply to ]

In my first IM (Esprit Triathlon in Montreal) the bike was on the race car track. 41 mind numbing laps around that track. Well, in the days before timing bands, they had a computer set up at the hair pin, and all day, as a rider went past, a volunteer would call out the number and another volunteer would type it in to the computer. About 1/2 way, the computer died for some reason, so they asked racers how many laps they had done. Well, I looked at my computer (calibrated and known to be within 0.5% of accurate) and tried to divide the distance by 4.4 (kms per lap). Well, I got the math wrong and ended up doing an EXTRA lap! FARK!!!!!! In hind sight I can laugh about it, but not on the day.

I got ITB syndrome on the run at the 12km mark, so had to hobble and limp for 30km, blistering my feet terribly and losing 8 toenails FARK!!!! The worst thing was finishing about 90minutes behind my projected time and knowing I'd have to do it all over again, to get to that time.Damn. And now, I'm still chasing the elusive dream of finishing in a non-embarrassing time, where I don't have to list a string of excuses. Damn

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [eganski] [ In reply to ]

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [Fred Doucette] [ In reply to ]

You know what drives me nuts about this thread? There are many who are commending the cheater for owning up to his mistake. But no-one is commending those who did not cheat to begin with.

Way to go everyone who did not cheat.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [fertilizer] [ In reply to ]

Thanks. It was a hard day and a lot of people would do things differently if they could do it over... I'm sure this guy would as well.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [fertilizer] [ In reply to ]

fertilizer wrote:
You know what drives me nuts about this thread? There are many who are commending the cheater for owning up to his mistake. But no-one is commending those who did not cheat to begin with.

Way to go everyone who did not cheat.

LOL! Reminds me of the "No DUI" banner we used to get for the colors when I was in the Army. Great job everyone, no DUI's in 60 days, yay!

"Wow, are you a triathlete?"
If spoken by a non-swimmer, that's a compliment. When spoken by a swimmer.... -glitch
My wife's blog http://www.hostilewit.com

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [Devlin] [ In reply to ]

Devlin wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Nice thought, but you can't require that kind of expense, and I doubt they'd pay for his ticket to come "do his time".

John

I'm not implying that WTC would/should/can implement this (though they could just say "no Kona 'til you do"). This is just my theoretical concept of what a "fair" punishment would be.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)

Prev Next