Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [edtlonsway] [ In reply to ]

How, I think they end to be a bit greedy, but don't see how they cheat anybody out of anything.

Styrrell

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [styrrell] [ In reply to ]

Was just being fecicious, ur right. Greedy doesn't equal cheating.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [triathlon1989] [ In reply to ]

Mike,

Your apology here is incomplete and insincere without signing your name to it. Sorry but "Mike" does not cut it. Also, your Slowtwitch profile is anonymous.

As someone who has qualified and completed this event I take offense to your actions. Not just your actions but your feeble excuse. Employing a small amount of critical thinking its hard to believe you when you claim that your intent to cheat was formulated on the "down hill leading into town". If thats true then why did you toss your chip off near the N.E.L.? You have more than enough experience to know that you are responsible for returning your chip and that without one you could abbreviate the course with a plausible excuse that the chip was lost. Its obvious that the instant you discarded your chip around mile 16 is when your intent to cheat was formed.

Bragging about your 3:10 marathon to many people and sharing a post race "well deserved beer" in the day(s) following the race are not actions of someone who was riddled with guilt. Words are just words. So far your actions are indicative of someone who is just sorry he got caught.

Members of Team Runners Edge/LITC Yahoo group forum who publicly supported you before and during the race also deserve a sincere apology.

I was happy to have accommodated your last minute participation in the Firemanironman camp this past June. You in turn stepped up and helped us out when you did not have to. I know first hand that you are a good person with many redeemable qualities. Please dont insult our intelligence by replacing one lie with another.

Best of luck in the future,

Ted Tierney
Last edited by: Ted4865: Oct 21, 11 9:42

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [Ted4865] [ In reply to ]

Ted4865 wrote:
Mike,

Your apology here is incomplete and insincere without signing your name to it. Sorry but "Mike" does not cut it. Also, your Slowtwitch profile is anonymous.

As someone who has qualified and completed this event I take offense to your actions. Not just your actions but your feeble excuse. Employing a small amount of critical thinking its hard to believe you when you claim that your intent to cheat was formulated on the "down hill leading into town". If thats true then why did you toss your chip off near the N.E.L.? You have more than enough experience to know that you are responsible for returning your chip and that without one you could abbreviate the course with a plausible excuse that the chip was lost. Its obvious that the instant you discarded your chip around mile 16 is when your intent to cheat was formed.

Bragging about your 3:10 marathon to many people and sharing a post race "well deserved beer" in the day(s) following the race are not actions of someone who was riddled with guilt. Words are just words. So far your actions are indicative of someone who is just sorry he got caught.

Members of Team Runners Edge/LITC Yahoo group forum who publicly supported you before and during the race also deserve a sincere apology.

I was happy to have accommodated your last minute participation in the Firemanironman camp this past June. You in turn stepped up and helped us out when you did not have to. I know first hand that you are a good person with many redeemable qualities. Please dont insult our intelligence by replacing one lie with another.

Best of luck in the future,

There is so much wrong with this that I don't even know where to begin, so I won't. But clearly you have a personal problem with Mike, one that has no need to be posted on slowtwitch. I don't know why you're pulling up a dead thread, but if you had been here when all this was going on, you would realize that every single question you just posed, Mike has answered. I would suggest you get in touch with Mike over the phone (which he has been more than willing to do with anyone) to discuss this, rather than try to create an even bigger shit storm out of something that has long since blown over.

By the way, my name is Matt Galluzzo, a friend of Mike's... I didn't know we were required to post our names on here.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [mgalluzz] [ In reply to ]

Matt,

An anonymous apology is of no value!

Ted Tierney

Ted4865 wrote:
Matt,

An anonymous apology is of no value!

Ted, whatever!

It wasn't anonymous, everyone here knew his full name before he even got here. I still don't know why you're looking for a personal apology on a public forum. If you honestly think you deserve one, you should get in touch with Mike personally, like I said before. Message me your phone number and I'll have Mike call you, he doesn't come on here that often, so he probably won't see your post.

To be honest, I think you posting that rant (which should have been private) on a public forum was pretty childish.

It took the readers of this forum about 90 seconds to identify the person of interest on this thread. That person eventually came to the forum, posted his story, apologized for his actions and did not ask for anything more.

He screwed up, yes, but he didn't kill anyone. Let him move on with his life. His actions going forward will be his to manage.

Also: As Judge, Jury and Executioner here, I say he has to post his Garmin file whenever he races again.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699

Matt,

There is so much wrong with you being more offended about me questioning Mikes integrity/story than with him cheating that I don't know where to begin.

I never asked him for a personal apology in my post.

Ted Tierney

So if you're not looking for an apology, what was the point of your post? To call him a bullshitter? Ok then, you made your point. Not sure what that does for anyone going forward.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699

Ted4865 wrote:
Matt,

There is so much wrong with you being more offended about me questioning Mikes integrity/story than with him cheating that I don't know where to begin.

I know that Mike personally talked to you earlier today, and that's all that matters. So I'm burying this.

Matt,
Just know that even though this seems like old news on slowtwitch, the triathlon community here on Long Island is just finding out about it. Like your friend, most do not follow slowtwitch with any regularity. Upon learning about what happened, Ted is understandably upset. While you may have moved on, it will likely be some time before others do and I wouldn't be surprised if you see additional comments on here. The local veteran triathletes are a tight knit group of great people that put a lot of effort in supporting the younger triathletes here on LI. People just finding out are going to be angry. Your friend will have some lingering consequences to face regarding his poor decision out on the Queen K. Don't be surprised to see comments on here, or local forums at home.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [jen-g] [ In reply to ]

jen-g wrote:
Matt,
Just know that even though this seems like old news on slowtwitch, the triathlon community here on Long Island is just finding out about it. Like your friend, most do not follow slowtwitch with any regularity. Upon learning about what happened, Ted is understandably upset. While you may have moved on, it will likely be some time before others do and I wouldn't be surprised if you see additional comments on here. The local veteran triathletes are a tight knit group of great people that put a lot of effort in supporting the younger triathletes here on LI. People just finding out are going to be angry. Your friend will have some lingering consequences to face regarding his poor decision out on the Queen K. Don't be surprised to see comments on here, or local forums at home.

Thanks for letting me know, I was unaware.

The only problem I had was that they clearly have a personal relationship, so I thought it was inappropriate and useless to take that personal conflict and bring it to the public. That's all.

so only people who don't know him can criticize him? that makes no sense.

you also are fully incorrect to conclude that it is some "personal conflict" between ted and mike. ted was just calling bs on mike's mea culpa. the fact that he doesn't roam these boards 24/7 and posted a week after the thread simmered down doesn't negate what he had to write.

i do find it amusing that so many people take him for his word that he qualified legitimately. i don't know if he did or didn't cheat at imlp this year but i certainly would heavily discount what a known liar/cheater has to say -- particularly when, if it came out that he did cheat in imlp, his explanation that the kona cheat was a spur of the moment decision would be completely undermined.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [mag900] [ In reply to ]

mag900 wrote:

you also are fully incorrect to conclude that it is some "personal conflict" between ted and mike. ted was just calling bs on mike's mea culpa. the fact that he doesn't roam these boards 24/7 and posted a week after the thread simmered down doesn't negate what he had to write.

i do find it amusing that so many people take him for his word that he qualified legitimately. i don't know if he did or didn't cheat at imlp this year but i certainly would heavily discount what a known liar/cheater has to say -- particularly when, if it came out that he did cheat in imlp, his explanation that the kona cheat was a spur of the moment decision would be completely undermined.

I'll say it again, I just thought it was unnecessary for him to criticize him/call him out/put him down/whatever you want to call it, on here, when he knows him personally. Why take that personal interaction and bring it up on slowtwitch, again, when it has already been resolved on here. After Ted did that, Mike spoke to Ted personally over the phone, instead of replying on here. That's the way it should have been done from the beginning. Good for Mike.

galluzz

Oct 21, 11 12:53

Post #387 of 391 (258 views)
Matt,

Just a reminder of what you wrote a few hours ago about burying this.

You prove the point that often peoples words are meaningless.

Guess your need to have the last word trumps all.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [Ted4865]
[In reply to]
Quote | Reply

Ted4865 wrote:
Matt,

I know that Mike personally talked to you earlier today, and that's all that matters. So I'm burying this.

Ted Tierney

mgalluzz wrote:
mag900 wrote:

I'll say it again, I just thought it was unnecessary for him to criticize him/call him out/put him down/whatever you want to call it, on here, when he knows him personally. Why take that personal interaction and bring it up on slowtwitch, again, when it has already been resolved on here. After Ted did that, Mike spoke to Ted personally over the phone, instead of replying on here. That's the way it should have been done from the beginning. Good for Mike.

and i'll say it again, your point makes no sense. this is a public message board and actually knowing the subject of a thread does not preclude one from commenting on said person in a negative fashion. in fact, i have to conclude that you are a hypocrite because you think it's perfectly fine for someone who knows the cheater to come on here and defend him but anyone who knows him who wants to rip him should not. nice double standard there.

You're an idiot.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [mag900] [ In reply to ]

Would so many people come to his aid if he would have pinned 40,000iu's of EPO????

they are kind of the same......don't you think?

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [mitchman] [ In reply to ]

mitchman wrote:
Would so many people come to his aid if he would have pinned 40,000iu's of EPO????

they are kind of the same......don't you think?

Close, but no.

EPO users, finman, newbz, Kip Litton - those are pre-meditated cheats. A spontaneous course cutter does not compare to such preparation to cheat.

I don't believe this guy's mea culpa is anything more than damage control, but I also don't think he was a premeditated cheat. If the way he cheated was premeditated, then he is too dumb for words. If his plan was to leave his chip on for 16 miles of 8+ minute miles and then cut the course, toss his chip in the trash, and finish in a 3:10 blaze of glory then he had to know friends and family following him would wonder how he managed to find his running legs to come home at blistering 4:30 miles. If this guy went to Kona planning to cheat I've got to think he would have thought this through and "lost" his chip early in the run to eliminate this potential evidence.

No one will ever know, but here's what I believe happened. 15 miles into that run and this guy was a beaten man, his soul crushed and living the Kona dream turning out to be not all it was cracked up to be. He decided to punt rather than go into the hell furnace that is the Energy Lab. Once committed to quitting and the deed done, the regret starts but now it's hard to undo. What's he gonna do, go back a few miles and make it a 30 mile day? Doubtful. Now he knows he's going to have to face the embarrassment of dropping out. It's far easier to chuck the chip, start jogging back at 13 min miles, and try to pull off a middle-of-the-pack Rosie Ruiz that probably no one will notice. I don't think this was premeditated, but no chance in hell do I believe this was a impromptu decision made in the excitement of Ali'i Drive. This plan was hatched at mile 16 when the chip was abandoned and his mea culpa just damage control (wise move, if you look at how other internet lynchings have turned out compared to this one) and the claim that the bad decision was made impromptu in the excitement of the finish area is total bs.

That's where my money is on this. But, only one person will ever know.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [kny] [ In reply to ]

"only one person will ever know"

Thats right.....

But, I really don't see anything diffrent in PED's and or cutting....They both do the samething. This guy had alot of time to think about crossing that mat in the end. Not a sec or two, but min after min after min.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]

Duffy wrote:
Start pink:

He qualified so he deserved to be there and should wear his finisher's shirt with pride, unlike those bastard lottery spot takers. End pink.

Toby Tri wrote:
kabacrew wrote:
triathlon1989 wrote:
For those of you wondering I
will not be going back to Kona...its a privilege that I feel that I was given and did not appreciate. To think people work their whole lives to get where I have gone and I squandered it away.

Let someone else have my spot...if and when I qualify I will let you all know of the deserving person that gets my roll-down.

Also I did not know about this forum and already admitted this to my family, coach and close supporters before this. I could not live any longer with not admitting it. Me posting here is simply a product of me knowing this thread existed and not a catalyst to my confession.

-Mike

Did he really qualify? or did he cheat there as well? To me all of his race results are now questionable.

It was not victimless. If he cheated here, where else has he cheated? If he cheated to get to Kona, did he 'steal' a spot from someone more deserving? Results matter to people, and this cheater has effected quite a few. Everyone at Kona was a victim of his crime, he was thankfully caught.

Damn I was having a bad day until I read this thread. Now all I can say is "at least I'm not you!"

For all of the athletes over the years who struggled to beat the midnight cutoff.... I say in honor of them.... FUCK YOU!

Which one is you?

-- Aaron Davidson

Just found out about this and am disgusted...period. As one who has been involved in this sport for 25+ years, have never witnessed anything like it before. Jusy can't accept it Mike.
David Gatz
(Ted's got my # if you want to call me...)

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [CoCrMo] [ In reply to ]

If you "can't accept it," then what is the point of talking to Mike? I am sensing that you're not willing to reason or accept an apology of any sort, so do you just want him to call so you can berate him?
I assure you, Mike is more than aware of how badly he screwed up, and he's pretty messed up about all of this. I've been able to tell this from conversations I've had with him the past few weeks. He is trying to move on from his mistake, but if every couple of days somebody new is going to claim personal injury and insult about it and feel they need to get their licks in to tell him how terrible of a person he is, he's never going to be able to move past this. I am by no means excusing or defending what he did, but just let the guy move on.

IG: idking90

Prev Next