Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [atgnat] [ In reply to ]

atgnat wrote:

We should all spend more time minding our business.

Not to hijack this post...but do you feel the same way for dopers? We should all just mind our own business since they aren't hurting anyone but themselves.....
That's generally the problem nowadays. EVERYONE minds their own business and nobody speaks up when things like this happen. With that said, the cheater owned up and appears to be making amends so that's good enough for me. But others have the 'right' to speak their minds. As much as they want.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [M~] [ In reply to ]

M~ wrote:
But others have the 'right' to speak their minds. As much as they want.

Whilst, others have the "right" to say enough is enough. As much as they want.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [M~] [ In reply to ]

M~ wrote:
atgnat wrote:

We should all spend more time minding our business.

Not to hijack this post...but do you feel the same way for dopers? We should all just mind our own business since they aren't hurting anyone but themselves.....
That's generally the problem nowadays. EVERYONE minds their own business and nobody speaks up when things like this happen. With that said, the cheater owned up and appears to be making amends so that's good enough for me. But others have the 'right' to speak their minds. As much as they want.

It's a shame that people confuse the "right" to express their opinion with a license to abandon decorum.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [atgnat] [ In reply to ]

So, now because someone chose to resurrect the topic, he is a jerk? Have you not been reading along? His triathlon community just recently found out about this.
And, how do you know he earned the slot? I competed in IMLP and I saw him on the course walking and when I asked him what happened he said he was not feeling well and from the looks of it, he didn't look good. So, how do I or any of us know if he didn't pull the same stunt in Lake Placid? And, how do any of us know if he thought...hey it worked in Placid, let me try it again in Kona.
Let's not forget all the hard work that people put in when they train for an Ironman event and the sense of accomplishment they feel when they cross the finish line knowing they gave it there all.
Should those that choose to go the way of cheating be given a pat on the back?
Obviously, Ironman doesn't think so because he was disqualified.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [sandytrigrl] [ In reply to ]

sandytrigrl wrote:
So, now because someone chose to resurrect the topic, he is a jerk?

Yes.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]

Goosedog wrote:
M~ wrote:
But others have the 'right' to speak their minds. As much as they want.

Whilst, others have the "right" to say enough is enough. As much as they want.

Completely in agreement.

sandytrigrl wrote:
So, now because someone chose to resurrect the topic, he is a jerk? Have you not been reading along? His triathlon community just recently found out about this.
And, how do you know he earned the slot? I competed in IMLP and I saw him on the course walking and when I asked him what happened he said he was not feeling well and from the looks of it, he didn't look good. So, how do I or any of us know if he didn't pull the same stunt in Lake Placid? And, how do any of us know if he thought...hey it worked in Placid, let me try it again in Kona.
Let's not forget all the hard work that people put in when they train for an Ironman event and the sense of accomplishment they feel when they cross the finish line knowing they gave it there all.
Should those that choose to go the way of cheating be given a pat on the back?
Obviously, Ironman doesn't think so because he was disqualified.

You should have said this in the first place. Now we have a first person witness of possibly the same type of action in a prior event. We may have a pattern. This brings a new perspective on the matter. I think that had you stated this in the first place, folks would have given you more slack.

Charging someone with cheating in a prior event is kind of serious. Perhaps you might want to show his run splits from IMLP. If he was running a 7 min mile for the first 14, then 10 min mile for the next 6, then a 6 min mile for the last 6 ... then we would see something rotten in the state of Denmark. Or, if he was missing one time mat split at IMLP ... well, new ball game.

It's getting more interesting :) ... keep it up. Back it up though. Don't throw the man under the bus without evidence.

Last edited by: zoom: Oct 24, 11 8:46

What more do you people want? What he did was wrong. We know that. He knows that. He got caught and he came out and apologized. Do you want him to go to jail or something? Be sentenced to death? Put his name in some permanent database about this cheating incident so that he never gets a job for the rest of his life? Would you feel better if later you learned he was having suicidal thoughts because so many people have made him feel like he is the most worthless human being on the planet?

Let him move on with his life.

I was at IMLP also, pretty hard to cut the course there when all turn arounds and out and backs have mats. I'm pretty sure Mike's results show all splits. I also noticed from the pics (not sure, I checked it out 2 weeks ago when this broke) that he did NOT wear a wetsuit. Looks like, from my limited snooping, he KQ'd properly at IMLP.

Can we now investigate the pro that hitched a draft from a car at Kona?? This "Mike" topic is really boring. I'm itching to know who the pro that drafted and who the driver was (insinuated they knew each other).

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [Emzee] [ In reply to ]

Well, this is kind of like when someone (Offender X) is a real D-Bag to you and your family in the morning. You think about it all day and let it fester and you think of how you plan to lay into Offender X. You get home and find Offender X has made ammends with your family, but you still have built up steam you need to unleash. You lay into the offender and your family looks at you like the D-Bag because he is now Victim X and already apologized.

Something like that.

All we are saying is that this horse has been beaten to death. Another lashing really isn't going to do it anymore good.

However, being as you know him personally, I guess that makes it a little different I suppose.

Is it possible to do the same thing at IMLP?

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [Emzee] [ In reply to ]

this horse (and the thread, and the competitor in question) has been beaten to death. i can't imagine anything else here that needs to be written; i can't imagine anyone not having had his or her say. i can imagine the thread turning yet worse. accordingly, i'm closing the thread.

there are always those among us that don't take the hint, and that just start another thread to continue the conversation. please don't do that.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Prev Next