Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [Z28Diddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey that reminds me!

I live in baltimore city and found some live rounds sitting on the sidewalk as I ran by. I believe they were 9mm. There was a police station like 50 yrds away so I just walked over and got someone. Cops said they probably dumped the rounds when sitting at the traffic light. I guess that isn't uncommon.
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A school bus. A big yellow school bus

It was at the end of the block, crossing the intersection ahead of me, so I couldn't see who was driving or what school district it was from [or perhaps a private company like we have around here such as First Student or So & So Bus Service]

I actually heard it coming before I saw it and said to myself 'Self? That doesn't sound like a trash truck, does it? Today's not their day here anyway'

I'm not sure what the re-opening strategy is in that township, but classes aren't even supposed to start until next week, if they do come back

Maybe someone was taking it out just to confirm that it was road-worthy after sitting for a few months

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had to dodge 4 chickens--well maybe one was a rooster--on a bike trail in Ohio last week.
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [tate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I hear roosters crowing in the morning, I often say "I've been up for an hour and a half, and I've been running four miles already, you fucking lazy bastard!!!"

Don't get me started on peacocks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heard a local legend that this nondescript 1920s cottage - which I've been running past two or three times a week, for 15+ years - was a "Scarface" Al Capone hideout, which he would use when visiting Atlantic City

The storyteller wasn't 100% sure of the facts, and it took a few different street view apps to pin-point the house he was talking about, and he might even have confused Al Capone with Lucky Luciano, or some other Boardwalk Empire-era mobster

Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [maxbrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two coyotes harassing a mountain lion....

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The cartoonish visual I gave myself for that made me laugh

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone with their windows down playing Blink-182s "Bored To Death" while pulling into the parking lot up the street - going to work, I suppose ... at the funeral home!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My fiance is getting ready to go to Pathology Assistant school.

These people are strange, indeed.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw a mink catch and eat a mouse and a hawk catch a mouse all on the same run. I guess nature was hungry yesterday.
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bad day for mice, anyway

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw a Wildebeest head on the sidewalk. One of those that would have been mounted to a hunters wall at one stage. Not sure why he decided to throw it out, onto the sidewalk.
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [TriNewbieZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Hey! Guess what I'm bringing home today"
"Better not be another wildebeest head"

< rolls down window - tosses it out >

"Oh, no! Not one of those ... it's um, um ...."

< passes yard sale >

"A chair!!! A really nice chair!!!"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
"Hey! Guess what I'm bringing home today"
"Better not be another wildebeest head"

< rolls down window - tosses it out >

"Oh, no! Not one of those ... it's um, um ...."

< passes yard sale >

"A chair!!! A really nice chair!!!"
Hahaha. I am choosing to believe that this is exactly how it played out
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [TriNewbieZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last night, in spite of a ton of rain, D'Wife wanted to go for a walk around the path/track at D'Kid's old school after she got home from work to get even a slight amount of cardio in for the day. It's about a third of a mile around, so we figured we'd just stroll for half an hour or so and get a little more than a mile in. So we got our umbrellas, got in the car and drove over.

We accomplished our goal and came home for dinner

I hadn't even opened a beer yet, when she came storming into the kitchen

"Where are the car keys?!!!" she asked in a panic
"Everything OK?" I inquired, although I could tell
"NO!!!" she answered and flew out of the house

Unsure of what exactly was needed of me, I sort of just stood there until she returned, quite annoyed

"I thought I put my glasses in my pocket" she explained "They were on my head, on my hat, then when I went to sprint, I thought I put them in my pocket. I must have been mistaken"

By now it was totally dark, and still raining, maybe even harder, but I could tell we were going out to look for them

She grabbed a flashlight, and I popped the headlights off our bikes to use the extra power of the LEDs [my running headlamp is still stashed for the Summer, so that was non-available]

We went back, and commenced our search and - possibly - rescue, She looked for the obvious on the asphalt, while I shined my light more diligently along the fringes of the lawn edging the path

She made it about halfway around before giving up "This isn't working!!!"

We stopped at RiteAid on the way back, where she got some cheap readers to use for work and would make an appointment to get a new pair tomorrow [= today]

No rain this morning, just some lifting fog, so once she left for work I said to myself 'Self? We don't have any meetings until 10. Let's take a trot over there and see what we can find? If they were there at 8PM they'll be there at 8AM. A lot of folks walk their dogs around there, so I'll bet they've been spotted somehow. It's only a mile and even searching for TWO laps, we can be back in plenty of time'

I got my gear on, did a little stretch [to make it feel legit], and off I went

Nine minutes later I was on the recon

About halfway around, there's a little hill, with some 6x6" pilings to form a retaining wall about 4 feet high, where the path goes by

On top of the wall, sat D'Wife's specs; someone had found them, and placed them where they could easily be seen & recovered - as I had hoped someone would have [there are also some bleachers by the ball field which would have worked]

Ironically, this is just a little bit further [farther?] down the path from where she had given up last night. Chances are, though, that she still wouldn't have seen them in the dark, even if she'd pressed on, so I can't fault her there

I took my phone out of my SpiBelt, got a quick pic to say "See! I told ya!" put it back, stuck the specs in there as well, and finished up my little 5K loop with much glee

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not wierd but very cool - the other day I took one of the dogs out for a little a.m. run before work and headed for the crushed limestone trail that runs along the river. Looked down at the edge of the trail and saw a nest of snapping turtles just hatching. There were already 5 up and out of the hole and at least 2 more trying to find their way out. Didn't have my phone with me but went back later to get a pic. They were scattered all over the trail, so I moved them off into the grass to get them out of harm's way.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [TiDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seen many odd things, just don't remember all that many. Odd, just not the oddest.
Have seen a handful of lingerie/topless/nude photos hoots. Usually just a girl and a guy with a camera, but once a few models and some strobes and real lighting and reflectors.
A hawk feeding on a rabbit that I scared and he flew off carrying the rabbit and dropping parts - stunk bad.
Used to often see a drummer on Santiago Canyon road by the old dump. Full on drum kit just rocking out. No neighbors to bother out there. Just him, his drums and his van.
Last edited by: Rumpled: Sep 11, 20 11:47
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
Seen many odd things, just don't remember all that many. Odd, just not the oddest.

Yeah, I think this thread has gone from "weirdest thing ..." to "latest weird thing ..."

Thanks for the continuing contributions though

Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dead guy.

On our usual Friday morning long run, starting in downtown Sacramento and heading over to the bike trail on the Sacramento and American rivers.

Cut behind the Railroad Museum in Old Sac. See the guy face down with his long sleeve shirt pulled over his head, trail of blood flowing to the storm drain. I get down close to enough to see if he's breathing - nope. He's dead.

Normally Sac PD are in the area around the clock. I run to the front of the museum and find a cop in his car and share our discovery. He calmly says "Yeah, it's been called in." Uh, what are you doing here then?

My suspicion his either fell off or was pushed from the I Street Bridge, about a 50-60' drop. Plop.

I've picked up numerous wallets, credit/ATM cards, cell phones, cash and a very cool knife (which I still use today).
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [Russ59] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On yesterday's ride we came around a bend saw something on the road that looked like two pieces of wood, but as we passed we saw hooves and blood. Two Deer legs and hooves, nothing else was there.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
approaching the turn into our development on Friday, dude is in the bike lane on some sort of urban cruiser bike with...a bright orange kids pool floatie on his upper left arm. Blown up and everything.

I'm guessing it was his budget neon 'hey don't hit me I'm a biker' indicator. Either that, or he imagined he might fall into a nearby creek after getting hit by said car and drown (not that there ARE any nearby creeks...).

+1 points for creativity
+1 for safety
-1 for not going full hog and wearing one on the right arm while you're at it!
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [mattyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I keep forgetting to mention than since it's been 9 months (as of today, as a matter of fact) since I've gotten it cut, I can literally "feel the wind in my hair" now

#ifeellikePre

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw a dude running down the road in a full body bandanna costume. I had to ask him if he lost a bet.
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rideon77 wrote:
I had to ask him if he lost a bet.

Sounds like something someone would have to do if they'd finished LAST in their Fantasy Football League, but it's still a little early for that

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do we have any ghost stories? It IS the season, anyway

I'll share one

Several years ago - never mind how long ago, precisely - when I lived in another town than I do now, I used to run a nice 4-mile out-and-back along a road that passed through woods and meadows. In the few short years I lived there, the woods became a collection of hospital buildings and the Skate Zone [where the Philadelphia Flyers practice], the meadows became parking lots, and the path became a sidewalk.

One spring evening - just after dusk, while there was still some light but getting darker - I made the turnaround at the stoplight (which once was just a 4-way stop, but now had two left-turn only lanes - with arrows) and headed back towards Wendy's, OliveGarden, a couple banks, etc. I was suddenly aware of feet coming up up behind me. This caught me off-guard, because I hadn't see anyone else running in any direction when I was at the light and I had gone quite a way down the road and way from the light before I heard them. I turned around to see a guy in his fifties, I guess, also out for a spring run, but dressed in summer gear (just a white singlet and old-school short shorts)

I was on the barely year-old sidewalk, but he was running in the street, almost right down the middle of the on-coming lane

"Hey!" I shouted over to him "You may want to use the sidewalk. I don't think it's a good idea to be in out in the road" as it is particularly twisty at this point and not all the streetlights were on yet, so a runner in the road might not be seen until it was too late

"What sidewalk???"

"Over here. It's new."

At this point we were just coming around a bend. I could see headlights approaching in the dusk. As they turned toward my guest, the driver leaned on the horn.

When I turned to say "Told ya!" ... There was no one there

I stopped for a second to see if he had jumped onto the sidewalk after all, or had maybe scooted down a side road, but I saw no one, nor heard any footsteps

A couple of days later, my imagination and curiosity got the best of me. I called the Voorhees and Gibbsboro Police departments. To no surprise, I learned that many years before a jogger HAD been struck and killed right where I saw my running pal; or where he'd disappeared, anyway

Quote Reply

Prev Next