Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twinkie wrote:
FlashBazbo wrote:
Twinkie wrote:

No, but I certainly have done it in less. I've outrun Imperial starships, not the local bulk-cruisers, mind you. I'm talking about the big Corellian ships now

Big deal . . . tell us what's important: Do you have the current KOM on that segment?

listen - there are no double letters in my name so clearly I did not cheat...and no I was not wearing my Garmin - the GPS gets wonky once it gets close to wormholes. You can ask Chewie, he was there.

Would you really call it a "wormhole" though? It was clearly a gravity well, but we don't know what was on the other end [maybe just a hungry black hole?]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Ok. The mad dog I get... But what life experience taught you that other thing?

I'd understand if randmart said that...

Thanks, man

Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FlashBazbo wrote:
If you don't know the "bear man" character, find him on YouTube. "Is anyone in need of medical attention?"

Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
I do not wear spandex running around my neighborhood / that would be weird.

How so? I wear my lycra when I ride and if I am doing a brick I wear a tri suit. That way I can set up a transition area to practice.
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [maxbrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just this last Sunday I was out on a country road for a long endurance ride and heard a high pitched whine, almost like bee's. I then noticed a few headlights coming from the opposite direction, that turned into dozen of headlights. It ended up being about 50 people on scooters on a huge scooter group ride in the country going past me. They looked like a large group of Shriners in a parade. I was laughing to hard to think about stopping to take my phone out of my jersey pocket to take a picture. All I could think of was, Heaven's Little Devils.
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [kkerns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kkerns wrote:
They looked like a large group of Shriners in a parade ... All I could think of was, Heaven's Little Devils.

So, not these guys then?

Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
A home with TWO Miatas in the driveway

One 1st Gen with the flip up headlights, the other was 2nd Gen with the little oval ones

One of them had a rear spoiler on it, but I forget which right now

One might have been a convertible, too

I'm sure they're not going anywhere, so I'll have to get a pic, next time I'm over that way

Some Updates

* I neglected to mention they are both white
* They do get moved around on the lawn [sometimes facing the street, sometimes not; sometimes the older is on the left, sometimes on the right] so they're at least driveable
* A third one has been acquired; also white, but with black racing stripes down the middle

I promise to get a pic; this NEEDS to be documented. I mean, what kind of a person would own THREE white Miatas?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
RandMart wrote:

I promise to get a pic; this NEEDS to be documented. I mean, what kind of a person would own THREE white Miatas?

An SCCA racer. Probably hundreds of them have at least three.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FlashBazbo wrote:
An SCCA racer. Probably hundreds of them have at least three.

Could be

Where I live, I see mostly hot rods and drag racers

http://www.atcodragway.rocks/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mods vs. Rockers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was biking on a bike path here in CO a month back and saw a horse pulling a guy on a skateboard. Yes, a horse pulling a skateboarder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About 3 months ago, on a run on my usual PCH path here in San Diego, I discovered 'sports bra yoga shorts moto helmet cycling girl'. I'm running southbound at Via de la Valle and in the distance, wait, is that what I think it is? Yup, a (I'm guessing) late 20's, fit, trim young woman wearing what appears to be the shortest, tightest yoga shorts you've ever seen, a sports bra and a full faced off road motorcycle helmet. I'm pretty sure it was on a road bike.

I mention this to my buddy who cycles the route frequently, and he's like - oh yeah I just saw her the other day. We meet up for a ride the next week - see her. I run the next week - see her. He texted me yesterday - saw her. I swear anytime either of us goes out, any time of day, there she appears, like an apparition.

Next time I'm going to chase her down and ask what the deal is - I'm guessing some terrible accident where the doctor says "OK but if you knock your head/jaw/nose one more time, it's game over", hence the helmet.
Last edited by: mattyboy: Aug 21, 19 14:52
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [mattyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I usually open the door to the patio while on the trainer and position the fan between the trainer and the doorway to allow cool air in. Recently while spinning away a racoon sauntered over, poked it's head in the doorway, and stared at me. I clapped my hands and hollered to scare it away. I thought those guys were nocturnal.

Does this count even though I was on the trainer? I'll just be opening the windows for cool air from now on.
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [daleks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daleks wrote:
I thought those guys were nocturnal.

What time of day was it? Those 3rd Shift creatures usually start moving around at dusk, and can hang out until past dawn

I've seen coyotes loping around past sunrise, if it's cool and cloudy enough to make it seem like it's a couple hours earlier than it really is

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
daleks wrote:

They are. If you see one very much after dawn or before dusk, it's probably rabid. They forget all about being nocturnal when rabies gets hold. Things get weird, even for a raccoon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
RandMart wrote:

One 1st Gen with the flip up headlights, the other was 2nd Gen with the little oval ones

I'm sure they're not going anywhere, so I'll have to get a pic, next time I'm over that way

Some Updates

* They do get moved around on the lawn [sometimes facing the street, sometimes not; sometimes the older is on the left, sometimes on the right] so they're at least driveable
* A third one has been acquired; also white, but with black racing stripes down the middle

Def. a racer. One of my workmates owns 6 cars, and 2 of them are Miatas.

With 3, it's easy - there's the racer, the donor car, and the project.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
RandMart wrote:

Some Updates

Technically, I have 3 miatas. All NA... Or as you say first Gen with the 1.6l engine.

1 is a wrecked racecar. Just haven't gotten rid of it yet.

2 is my new racecar. Finished 13th two weeks ago in Oklahoma.

3 is my daily driver.

All miata are convertible. Mazda does sell an attachable hard top. But it is an attachment that covers the rag top. Most racecars use the hard top. No racecars use the rag top... Not safe or legal.

Most scca (or nasa or wrl or champ car) racecars have pretty obvious paint schemes and numbers and other stickers.

Miatas are the near perfect racecar. There are 1000s of spec miatas in the US and many more abroad. It is the most widely amateur raced production car in the world.

A natiomally front running spec miata will run you $30+k.

If you haven't driven one on a track... It is highly recommendednif you have any need for speed.

PS: spec Miata racers have a forum where they argue about stupid minutia just like this one. What does it say that I hang out and post in both?
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jun 26, 18 19:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FlashBazbo wrote:
daleks wrote:

They are. If you see one very much after dawn or before dusk, it's probably rabid. They forget all about being nocturnal when rabies gets hold. Things get weird, even for a raccoon.

It was at 1PM. Great, now I'm worried to go outside and use my grill. Thanks guys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
daleks wrote:
FlashBazbo wrote:
daleks wrote:

It was at 1PM. Great, now I'm worried to go outside and use my grill. Thanks guys.

Yeah, get your local Animal Control on that shit ASAP

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
daleks wrote:

Not guaranteed to be rabid that time of day, but better safe than sorry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
daleks wrote:
FlashBazbo wrote:
daleks wrote:

If the raccoon is rabid, after a couple days, they will start staggering around in the daytime as if drunk. As the end approaches, they will start staggering in a big circle that gradually spirals smaller and smaller. When they get to the middle, the end is near.

Best to call animal control. If you don't have animal control, use a firearm. (I'm serious.) A rabid raccoon can do a lot of damage to a person and they will enjoy doing it. They're like miniature werewolves!
Last edited by: FlashBazbo: Jun 27, 18 12:33
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
Def. a racer. One of my workmates owns 6 cars, and 2 of them are Miatas.

With 3, it's easy - there's the racer, the donor car, and the project.

Well, he's down to one out front now

Maybe the other two are in the garage someplace getting their parts swapped?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seeing a racoon in the daytime does not mean that it has rabies.

http://www.raccoonatticguide.com/daytime.html

"although raccoons are primarily nocturnal, they do often get some stuff done during the day. It is not at all unusual for a raccoon to be active in the middle of the day. They can't just sleep from dawn to dusk without doing anything. They may go off in search of food or drink."[/i]
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [YarnYoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Other day I saw a helicopter landing on top of a big truck rig. Helicopter was filling up to apply more pesticides to the crops around me. Wasn't a fan of breathing all of that in.

I was really wondering if I should ride under the helo/rig since the rotors were going. Lucky the pilot took off before I got to it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next