Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [PJT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJT wrote:
In Reply To:

Was attacked not once, but twice, by red-winged blackbirds on a ride in the country. Happened about 2-3 miles apart and both times the bird dive bombed me and pecked at my helmet. I mean, I know these are territorial birds, but I really mean no harm. . .

That happens to a lot of riders on the IM WI bike course, especially in May and June. They often signal their presence with a couple loud calls, so you come to dread hearing that whistle. Apparently the local humans aren't the only ones who dislike triathletes.

I've also had them dive-bomb me while running. It's not a good feeling to see a bird inches from your eyes when you don't wear sunglasses.

This happened regularly when I lived in Michigan. Red W BB must have a different psychology about them because once I moved out west, it never happened again.

Now the oddest thing I recall seeing is a coyote eating a bag of McD's with fries & burger...roadside junk someone tossed, at about 8200 feet. Just ate & ate while I biked by, not scared at all. I wonder if he had a McFlurry for desert in that bag...
Last edited by: Rocky M: Jul 16, 17 17:20
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [yinzerniner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yinzerniner wrote:
I saw a bike fight once while along the Hudson waterfront. Like, people using their expensive road bikes like longswords in Braveheart to try to kill each other. Thankfully some bystanders were successful in defusing the situation.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The sprinklers were on at the Little League field this morning, but one of them wasn't working quite right. I suspect a little lack of pressure, as it was a not spraying very far at all

However, from the angle that the groundskeeper was kneeling on the grass as he tried to fix it, the stream arced so it looked like he was taking a wicked piss with all the fire-house force he could muster

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
RandMart wrote:
On my run this morning I saw something truly unique: An honestly attractive school bus driver ...

If I see her again two Fridays from now [assuming I run that same course and time], I'll try to give a more detailed report

As it happened, I missed her that following fortnight, and again today [I'm off every other Friday] so with school being out for the Summer next week, it looks like I'll not be seeing her for a while ... or ever again, for that matter, if she gets another job, or even another route

Now I kinda know how The Prince felt after Cinderella ran out of the Ball

jimmyh49aus wrote:
Stay strong brother. Sexy school bus lady will be back for you in no time!!

Well, school is back in, and it happens that she DID come back, and on the same route!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Things have been getting pretty dim on the Damn Patrol lately, with sunrise not happening until just after I've gotten home now [6:38 this AM]

That being said, when you see someone with bright yellow hair, it kinda gets your attention. Not blonde mind you, but Safety Lemon [I thought it was a hat at first]

Contrasting the bright hair was a black shirt, with a red & white image on the front. I couldn't make it out at first, since my specs were a little fogged, but I picked up fairly quickly that the red was the * used by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, with their name around it

As I passed, I noticed that the yellow-haired pedestrian was, in fact, a woman, who appeared to be in her 70s. On top of that, the black shirt had a B&W band pic on the back, indicating to me that this wasn't just a random Hot Topic or Target purchase, but legit RHCP merch

OK, if could have bee a flea market or thrift store find, but either way, rock on grandmom!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw a most excellent dresser on the curb the other day

Drawers were intact, slid out well, hardware seemed secure, no obvious scratches or dings, and nothing to say it wasn't just free to take

Of course, by the time I got home & brought the car around, it was gone

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw a dude wearing a Southern Tier t-shirt on the Promenade yesterday [Cape May doesn't have a "boardwalk" per se]

I asked him, in a friendly beer-geeky way "Have you gotten this year's Warlock yet?"

"What's that?" he answered, quite puzzled

I felt like punching him in the face and relieving him of his shirt, the fucking poseur

Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [maxbrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Several months ago I was out for a Sunday morning run along a rural road. I glanced down and saw a $20 bill on the side of the road. Sweet, I thought, and picked it up. I proceeded to find 4 more! $100 cash just laying in a ditch on the side of a back road. I was PSYCHED!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Saw a most excellent dresser on the curb the other day

Drawers were intact, slid out well, hardware seemed secure, no obvious scratches or dings, and nothing to say it wasn't just free to take

Of course, by the time I got home & brought the car around, it was gone

This post confused me. I was expecting to hear about a man wearing a tuxedo or an ascot or something. Then I realized it was a piece of furniture.

A squirrel fell out of a tree right in front of me on a ride a few weeks ago...made a weird "pop" sound when he landed--but he scampered away. Squirrel Dive Bombs?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow I must live in a boring area...

But none the less here's my two stories. Once I was riding and I saw someone pull off to the side of the rode. Seeing it was a young lady I wanted to be a gentleman and ask if she needed help of any kind or at least offer them my phone. When I got close I saw she was breastfeeding you young kid. Good thing for my reflective glasses or she would have seem my eyes get as wide as saucers, I politely road away.

Another one, and this is I guess this isn't as weird as it is puzzling... But I once saw a man stranded with a mechanical issue on the side of the road. I ride up to him and he's on a no-name cheap steel round tube frame, baseball hat no helmet, polo-shirt, khaki short, toe clips, Wal-Mart glasses, but with a full Ultegra group set. His rear derailuer had come loose and destroyed his back wheel. He wanted to know if he could fix it on the road. I told him unlikely he'd be well served to call a friend and head home for the day. Now I'm not trying to be judgmental but how in holy hell did all that Ultegra stuff get on his bike?

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [freightrain121] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
freightrain121 wrote:
A squirrel fell out of a tree right in front of me on a ride a few weeks ago...made a weird "pop" sound when he landed--but he scampered away. Squirrel Dive Bombs?

Some years ago - never mind how long precisely - I was running down the street one fall morning when I heard a rustling of leaves high up in an oak tree about a hundred yards ahead of me. The shaking was followed by a loud wooden clunk! ... a pause ... another clunk! and another; each sounding lower in the tree as I ran toward it. The clunks came steadily until finally silence as I ran beneath the tall tree

... And I got beaned right on top of the head!!!

A malicious and dangerously clever squirrel must've been in the tallest branches of the tree, shaking acorns out in such a way that they fell, bouncing off branches on their journey, in perfect time for one to plunk me right on the noggin

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This past weekend I saw where Whole Foods shoppers get their cars fixed.....

I talk to myself because mine are the only answers I'll accept - George Carlin
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [Hosted] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hosted wrote:
I was on a ride last year when I came up on a guy on what I thought was a very tall bike. As I got closer it was a clown on what I'm guessing was a 6' tall unicycle playing the air drums. It was more than I could take in. He was just pounding away on his imaginary drums. This was on a back highway in Indiana where there isn't much traffic with the nearest town probably 8 miles away. I wish I had a camera because my wife still doesn't believe me, and to this day when I picture it in my head I can understand why.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking of ... I've seen a bunch of these around lately

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few years ago I was coasting along on my bike enjoying an easy fall day ride...

...when a crow flew directly in to my drivetrain and got mauled up between the chain and crankset. There was wings flapping, feathers everywhere, mad cawing, etc for around 15 seconds. I'm not sure how but it got free and either hopped or flew away and I was left there dazed wondering wtf had just happened.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My friend Joe killed a bird with his mountain bike. Accidentally, of course. Joe's about 6-6, 300lbs, has the speed and agility of a tortoise and can leap like a rhinoceros. This bird decided "Today is a good day to die" and flew across the trail about a foot off the ground; a little less than "hub high." Joe hit him and just smacked him down to the ground ... like swatting a fly, but flies don't crunch-squeek. Joe was really upset about it, very upset, more upset than a straight man should have been. It made the ride home very somber. Joe played The Cure all the way home. Made me wish he'd run ME over with his bike!!!

I don't ride with Joe anymore

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
On my run this morning I saw something truly unique: An honestly attractive school bus driver

From the road, she seemed to be about 5'5", 100 lbs or so, brown hair, wearing a navy sleeveless top, trucker hat, aviators

Kinda like ...

[might not be everyone's vodka of choice, so I apologize for that]

Even though it was already around 80*F at 8:30am, and I was a Sweatty Freddy, I tried my best to look on form as she drove up to the railroad crossing, where she was obligated by law to stop. I crossed, our eyes met, I waved and she gave me a thumbs up

If I see her again two Fridays from now [assuming I run that same course and time], I'll try to give a more detailed report

Bump. Reposting because this is the best story ever. Why doesn't this sh*t ever happen to me??

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don_W wrote:
Bump. Reposting because this is the best story ever.

Thanks, man

Don_W wrote:
Why doesn't this sh*t ever happen to me??

I don't know ... Maybe you just have to open yourself to possibilities, and the Universe will present them to you?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reminds me of a story. I was running on a track that is normally fairly quiet. I was hammering on the way home and came around a small bend. At that exact moment, a rather attractive lady standing just off the track, looked side to side once, and pulled her pants down to go to the toilet. She looked up in shock when she saw me barrelling towards her, so we both did the only thing we could do. Look straight ahead and pretend nothing happened.... I put the hammer down a bit more to reduce her embarrassment.
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [roadguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should have stopped to fasten your shoelace, ask the time etc ... lol

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
roadguy wrote:
Reminds me of a story. I was running on a track that is normally fairly quiet. I was hammering on the way home and came around a small bend. At that exact moment, a rather attractive lady standing just off the track, looked side to side once, and pulled her pants down to go to the toilet. She looked up in shock when she saw me barrelling towards her, so we both did the only thing we could do. Look straight ahead and pretend nothing happened.... I put the hammer down a bit more to reduce her embarrassment.

About three years ago I was at a popular start point NW Atlanta. A female triathlete pulled down her cycling shorts, squatted down and went all while looking straight at me. :-) In twenty years of my marriage I've never even seen my wife on the toilet. :-) Even most of the guys, and no one is supposed to be peeing on this property anyway, tend to go behind the shrubs at the edge of the parking area.

I wasn't sure how to react to this young woman other than just give her a smile and go about getting my bike ready as if I had seen her squat in the parking lot many times before.

By the way, I am not a triathlete so maybe this is more of a common practice than I understand. Although I still think one of the weirdest things I have seen on the bike was a guy had a full size floor pump across his back with like a rifle sling while cycling. Cycling in a metro area and it doesn't take too long to see some weird things. So much so you cannot remember them all.
Last edited by: Felt_Rider: Sep 28, 17 4:01
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WD Pro wrote:
Should have stopped to fasten your shoelace, ask the time etc ... lol

"Need a sock?"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the places I mountain bike intersects with ATV trails. I'm huffing and puffing up a rocky climb with my head down. I look up and see an ATV in the trail, with 2 naked people on top going at it. I have no choice but to go right by them, fairly slow since it's a technical climb and they didn't even bother to get off the trail. They stopped while I rode by, looking at me.
Quote Reply
Re: Weirdest thing you have seen on the run/bike? [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You got the "Do you mind?" look, too, didn't ya?

I'm sure I've gotten busted a time or two, by not pulling far enough away from "traffic" and into the woods onshore on canoe trips down here in the Pine Barrens

http://getouttheremag.com/...ave-sex-in-the-woods

Last edited by: RandMart: Sep 28, 17 7:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's funny how you normalize certain things after a while. After many years of watching pro-cycling, and riding with friends, we don't bat an eyelid when someone has to relieve themselves.

When I was watching the tour this year, a relative of mine just happened to walk into the room when the riders were taking a 'nature break'. She asked what they were doing, and seemed a little unsettled that she had just watched someone urinate on live TV!! In retrospect I think she had a point ;-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next