Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Power above FTP [paull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
paull wrote:
So give a mathematician the data of 100 well trained timetriallists. Don't tell them where the data is from, and ask them to find a threshold.

Their answer will be (a) around 1 minute and (b) around 2:30 to 4 hours. There won't be a threshold between 30 and 70 minutes.

Never let a mathematician do a coach or physiologists job.

Hamish Ferguson: Cycling Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Power above FTP [paull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
paull wrote:
And AC has been caught out quoting a statement from a paper of which he is co author and yet he now says he did not agree with that statement - nice one Trev

I certainly don't think that Tim expressed things perfectly. But, I don't believe that Trev's interpretation of events is correct, either.

More globally: what many people don't seem to realize is that just because you are the co-author of a publication, it doesn't necessarily mean that you agree with everything single word/phrase/sentence written by others. That isn't true even in the case of formal scientific publications.

paull wrote:
I see that many of the respected physiologists do not take AC seriously, since he exited physiology academia many years ago.

Pardon my French, but WTF are you talking about? I am currently PI, co-PI, or co-I on four grants totaling ~$1.2M, have published 14 papers in the last 3 y, have two more in preparation, have a review article under consideration at ESSR, and just won an award for my research efforts from my school. Indeed, I have never been busier with real work (which is why I have stepped away from my hobbies, e.g., am no longer contributing to WKO4).
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: May 20, 18 14:38
Quote Reply
Re: Power above FTP [Kiwicoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kiwicoach wrote:
On the weekend Cycling NZ's opinion was to award me a Services to Cycling Award to go with my two Coaches of the Year awards from 2009 and 2011.

Congratulations!
Quote Reply
Re: Power above FTP [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Pardon my French, but WTF are you talking about? I am currently PI, co-PI, or co-I on four grants totaling ~$1.2M, have published 14 papers in the last 3 y, have two more in preparation, have a review article under consideration at ESSR, and just won an award for my research efforts from my school. Indeed, I have never been busier with real work (which is why I have stepped away from my hobbies, e.g., am no longer contributing to WKO4).

Congratulations yourself.

annnnnnd....

Clearly entry standards at Mensa are slipping ;)

Hamish Ferguson: Cycling Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:

??

Nowhere in there did I say anything about a downward deflection in power at around the 1 h mark.

In fact, I have repeatedly pointed out that any such deflection is a statistical artifact (necessity) engendered by assuming the existence of an absolute plateau in power (e.g., the CP model).

ETA: Emphasis added to counter the Trev reality distortion field.

As your WKO4 mathematical model estimates FTP, and can show mFTP on the power duration curve, you must be able to provide a rigorous mathematical definition of FTP.

Please can we have this definition.
Quote Reply
Re: Power above FTP [AlexS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlexS wrote:
Trev wrote:
if you use real time not log time, and Andrew and Alex are claiming you can see it on the power duration curve.
I made no such claim.

I said threshold can be determined from PD data (via various methods including use of mathematical models) and that it is clearly visible in physiological response data.

If threshold can be determined via mathematical models from power duration data, those models must have a clear mathematical definition of what threshold is. Please can we have a clear mathematical definition of threshold.
Quote Reply
Re: Power above FTP [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Irwin wrote:
I'm asking for a rigorous definition of it, not another way of estimating it. I've looked back at your posts in this thread and can't see a rigorous definition of FTP. Your post about changes in time for changes in power suggested you saw those sorts of relationships as defining the concept, but if they don't define it, what does define it (rigorously)?

We are still waiting for an answer.
Quote Reply
Re: Power above FTP [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trev wrote:
As your WKO4 mathematical model estimates FTP, and can show mFTP on the power duration curve, you must be able to provide a rigorous mathematical definition of FTP.

Please can we have this definition.

Sorry, but the WKO4 model is proprietary.

However, here is another model that can work for estimating FTP, at least if you pick the input data appropriately:

Pt = FTP + (Pt*t - FTP)/t

So, there's one possible "mathematical definition" if you really need one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:

Pt = FTP + (Pt*t - FTP)/t

So, there's one possible "mathematical definition" if you really need one.

Ole Trev keeps tossing what he thinks is a shiny lure in the water hoping to troll the bait. This response is great.
Just a nibble on the lure getting his hopes up and yet letting him know you see his plot. :-)

Of course you know his schemes. Most of us do. His trolling skills are not that subtle. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Power above FTP [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
This response is great.

Thank you.

Of course, Trev's and Steve's questions continue to confuse ways of estimating FTP with the concept of FTP, which is why I used quotation marks.

Given that, I suspect the point of my reply will be lost on them.
Quote Reply
Re: Power above FTP [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a simple observance over the years of various training concepts. If it is good it will stick around and if it is indeed snake oil people catch on and it fades. In the world of strength training I have seen many schemes come and go and most of the sound training principles continue. Does that mean that everyone trains correctly or uses the common training principles dead on the money per the research papers or by elite coaches? No! There are varying degrees of effectiveness and the common athlete reaps what they sow. I am certainly one of these and accept that the effectiveness of any training concept is hindered by life obligations. Having research paper purity in training is not functional or practical with home, work and life obligations and yet I am progressing.

If training formed around FTP was bad and people were not progressing with it, it would have faded long ago. Yet there are multitudes that base training around FTP (even if they do not completely understand it or have the exact concept from the founder) and are successful. When people are successful with it they do not take the skeptics, whatever their agenda might be, seriously. So for those who cry snake oil in regards to FTP and metrics based off of FTP it is going to be difficult to convince those who have already and are currently progressing with it to take your bait.

I am not a fanboy as some would then proclaim. I am just a guy that has chosen to train years ago using this concept and it seems to work for me so I will continue on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Trev's and Steve's questions continue to confuse ways of estimating FTP with the concept of FTP, which is why I used quotation marks.

I'm not at all confused about the difference between the concept and ways of estimating it. You are the one who continues to confuse a definition with a method of estimation. We aren't asking for the proprietary WKO4 model, as that is a method of estimation not a definition. Your use of the term FTP preceded the creation of the WKO4 model, so the WKO4 model cannot possibly be the definition of the term. How can you estimate something using a mathematical model if you can't rigorously mathematically define the thing that you're trying to estimate?

Edit: As you have liked to point out in the past that the map is not the territory, I'll mention that a definition will be expressed in terms of the territory, whereas a method of estimation, such as the WKO4 model, operates on the map.
Last edited by: Steve Irwin: May 21, 18 5:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
Just a simple observance over the years of various training concepts. If it is good it will stick around and if it is indeed snake oil people catch on and it fades. In the world of strength training I have seen many schemes come and go and most of the sound training principles continue. Does that mean that everyone trains correctly or uses the common training principles dead on the money per the research papers or by elite coaches? No! There are varying degrees of effectiveness and the common athlete reaps what they sow. I am certainly one of these and accept that the effectiveness of any training concept is hindered by life obligations. Having research paper purity in training is not functional or practical with home, work and life obligations and yet I am progressing.

If training formed around FTP was bad and people were not progressing with it, it would have faded long ago. Yet there are multitudes that base training around FTP (even if they do not completely understand it or have the exact concept from the founder) and are successful. When people are successful with it they do not take the skeptics, whatever their agenda might be, seriously. So for those who cry snake oil in regards to FTP and metrics based off of FTP it is going to be difficult to convince those who have already and are currently progressing with it to take your bait.
If, instead of the term FTP, someone had proposed to base training around 60 minute power, and had proposed a method for estimating 60 minute power using a 5 minute blowout then a 20 minute max effort and taking 95% of that, would that training be any less effective than FTP-based training? No mention of thresholds or FTP, just 60 minute power as a reference for training zones, and an optional way of estimating 60 minute power for those who don't want to do a 60 minute max effort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Irwin wrote:
How can you estimate something using a mathematical model if you can't rigorously mathematically define the thing that you're trying to estimate?

Edit: As you have liked to point out in the past that the map is not the territory, I'll mention that a definition will be expressed in terms of the territory, whereas a method of estimation, such as the WKO4 model, operates on the map.

Any attempt to mathematically define FTP operates on the map, not the territory.

IOW, you continue to confuse the concept of FTP with ways of estimating it. This, despite the fact that you recognize that FTP existed long before the WKO4 model came along. (Indeed, long before any mathematical model came along... just ask Pheidippides how he paced his run from Marathon to Athens.)
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: May 21, 18 6:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Any attempt to mathematically define FTP operates on the map, not the territory.

IOW, you continue to confuse the concept of FTP with ways of estimating it.
Lets look at an alternative metric that we can define, then, 60 minute power. A person's 60 minute power is the territory, their underlying physiological capability which exists even if they never actually did a 60 minute max effort. An individual 60 minute max effort is part of the map, which allows us some insight into the territory.

If you are saying that the secret definition of FTP is based only on the map, not the territory, then that is not what I would have expected, but at least it's some progress towards getting you to define it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FTP is the territory.

Any mathematical definition of it is just a map.

A map that defines FTP as equal to *exactly* 60 min (or 40 km, etc.) power might or might not be useful, but it is not, and never can be, the territory.

At least theoretically, the WKO4 model is a better map, because it allows for the variable duration that FTP can be maintained. However, it is still only a map, and not the territory itself.

PPP: 40 km power is to FTP as s is to sigma.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To quote the profound wisdom and logic of Dennis Denuto: "It's the vibe of the thing."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Irwin wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:
TWe aren't asking for the proprietary WKO4 model, as that is a method of estimation not a definition.
Trev specifically asked for a mathematical definition of mFTP a few posts up. Hence Andy's response.

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: Power above FTP [TIT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aahhh....the serenity.

PS You do realise that no one but an Australian would have any idea of what you are talking about?
Quote Reply
Re: Power above FTP [Mark57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark57 wrote:
Aahhh....the serenity.

PS You do realise that no one but an Australian would have any idea of what you are talking about?

Of course. It just seems so fitting.
Quote Reply
Re: Power above FTP [TIT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TIT wrote:
Mark57 wrote:
Aahhh....the serenity.

Of course. It just seems so fitting.

Tell Trev he's dreamin'

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: Power above FTP [AlexS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlexS wrote:
TriguyBlue wrote:
I've read this thread and have no idea what ftp is supposed to be, still only what it isn't. The mental masturbation of academics makes it way more complicated than it needs to be.

It helps to start with what the concept of "Threshold" is. We can get to the Functional and Power bits later.

Threshold is the maximal exercise intensity sustainable such that various (relevant) physiological responses firstly attain and can maintain a quasi steady state. One example of such a physiological response is blood lactate concentration but there are others such as tissue oxygenation levels.

Naturally these physiological responses will also attain/maintain a quasi steady state at exercise intensities below threshold.

However once the exercise intensity exceeds threshold these physiological responses no longer maintain a quasi steady state. That's because the energy demand is increasingly supplemented by non-sustainable capacity-limited energy supply sources (e.g. via anaerobic metabolism) and these supplemental metabolic processes result in more rapid changes in physiological markers (e.g. blood lactate utilisation/clearance can no longer keep up with production and so BL levels rise rapidly).

Hence the term "Threshold".

Essentially it's a conceptual expression of an intrinsic physiological capability, the maximal sustainable exercise intensity before non-sustainable physiological/metabolic processes begin to manifest themselves in a significant manner.

FTP expresses this threshold intensity in terms of Power output at the bicycle cranks.

The "Functional" part is simply to emphasise it's purpose is to be a practically useful marker of this intrinsic physiological capability. So rather than be bogged down with all the underlying physiological/biological/metabolic complexity, we can express this intrinsic physiological capability in one relatively simple and useful term - FTP.

The functionality is of course enhanced by the relatively straightforward ability by just about anyone to measure one's power output on a bicycle, whereas the various physiological responses typically measured in labs are somewhat less practical for the regular athlete to measure. FTP has the added advantage of being an integral of all of the underlying physiological factors that determine this "threshold".

So that's FTP.

There are of course various ways in which one can arrive at an estimate of FTP, some more reliable than others and these are often discussed.

Makes sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Power above FTP [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:

Makes sense.

Absolutely a great post by Alex. One would think his post would satisfy any sincere questions about FTP and threshold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
TriguyBlue wrote:

Makes sense.

Absolutely a great post by Alex. One would think his post would satisfy any sincere questions about FTP and threshold.

Operative word here being "sincere".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Felt_Rider wrote:
TriguyBlue wrote:

Makes sense.

Operative word here being "sincere".

The fact is, both you and Alex have agreed there is no threshold or downwards infletion. at around 60 minutes, on the power duration curve. The curve, if looked at in real time, not log time, shows a continuous downwards curve, the longer the duration the lower the power and that decline in power is approximately the same rate from 20 minutes, through 60 minutes and well beyond. If there was a power threshold, at approx 60 minutes this would not be the case.
Last edited by: Trev: May 22, 18 11:57
Quote Reply

Prev Next