Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Power above FTP [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who are you and what have you contributed?

Trev wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Felt_Rider wrote:
TriguyBlue wrote:

Makes sense.

Absolutely a great post by Alex. One would think his post would satisfy any sincere questions about FTP and threshold.

Operative word here being "sincere".

The fact is, both you and Alex have agreed there is no threshold or downwards infletion. at around 60 minutes, on the power duration curve. The curve, if looked at in real time, not log time, shows a continuous downwards curve, the longer the duration the lower the power and that decline in power is approximately the same rate from 20 minutes, through 60 minutes and well beyond. If there was a power threshold, this would not be the case.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Power above FTP [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

He pointed out that there is no visible threshold in the PD curve. That's quite a revelation after years of everyone assuming that the flat spot (point of inflection) on the P.log(D) curve was a threshold.

It took me about five seconds to find 2 posts from AC that states the PD curve is "quite flat in that region"... from ST 2015...

Andrew Coggan wrote:
Both an all-out 50 min effort and an all-out 66 min effort would provide reasonable estimates of your FTP. That is because 1) the exercise intensity-duration relationship is quite flat in that region, and 2) FTP has never been defined as the power you can maintain for 60(.000000.....) min.

From TTF

Andrew Coggan wrote:
Quote:
Is it also skewed from the fact a lot of people are talking about a 25 mile TT that is only taking 46-53 mins?
No, not really. First, the power duration relationship is quite flat in that region. Second, contrary to what you seem to be assuming, FTP has never been defined as 60 min power. 
http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/...&comment=1637905

.. but the reality is that it keeps getting flatter and flatter up to a time well beyond 2 hours (in well trained cyclists with a high quality data population). So how can you say something is "quite flat" when it ~exponentially keeps getting flatter and flatter for a long time after ?

So I think that's a substantial contribution from Trev.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trev wrote:
The curve, if looked at in real time, not log time, shows a continuous downwards curve, the longer the duration the lower the power and that decline in power is approximately the same rate from 20 minutes, through 60 minutes and well beyond. If there was a power threshold, at approx 60 minutes this would not be the case.

You are not thinking clearly.

Beyond a certain point, power declines *linearly* as a function of the *log* of time. (Runners know this as the Riegel formula or Riegel exponent.) That means that the slope is not constant as you claim, but is *ever-decreasing* as a function of *actual* time. It is because of this fact that the exercise intensity-duration relationship appears to settle at a plateau, as I showed in only the 7th post in this thread:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6633565#p6633565

Now if you assume that that apparent plateau is an absolute plateau, you have the critical power model. Of course, we all know that no power can be maintained indefinitely as assumed by the CP model, so the question is, at what point is the rate-of-change slow enough that you're willing to call that quasi-plateau an actual plateau?

One could argue about just how small the first derivative would need to be to fulfill that criteria, but from a physiological perspective, a power output that can be maintained for 30 to 60 or even 70 min represents a threshold for many phenomena, e.g., blood lactate, EMG activity, muscle oxygenation, ventilation, hormonal responses, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Power above FTP [paull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
paull wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

He pointed out that there is no visible threshold in the PD curve. That's quite a revelation after years of everyone assuming that the flat spot (point of inflection) on the P.log(D) curve was a threshold.

It took me about five seconds to find 2 posts from AC that states the PD curve is "quite flat in that region"... from ST 2015...

Andrew Coggan wrote:
Both an all-out 50 min effort and an all-out 66 min effort would provide reasonable estimates of your FTP. That is because 1) the exercise intensity-duration relationship is quite flat in that region, and 2) FTP has never been defined as the power you can maintain for 60(.000000.....) min.

From TTF

Andrew Coggan wrote:
Quote:
Is it also skewed from the fact a lot of people are talking about a 25 mile TT that is only taking 46-53 mins?
No, not really. First, the power duration relationship is quite flat in that region. Second, contrary to what you seem to be assuming, FTP has never been defined as 60 min power. 

.. but the reality is that it keeps getting flatter and flatter up to a time well beyond 2 hours (in well trained cyclists with a high quality data population). So how can you say something is "quite flat" when it ~exponentially keeps getting flatter and flatter for a long time after ?

What I said is true: the exercise intensity-duration relationship is quite flat out beyond the first few minutes of exercise. That is obvious in the nearly 200 curves shown in this post (note the X axis scaling):

Indeed, for most people tripling the duration from 20 to 60 min only results in a 5% decrease in maximal sustainable power, i.e., the slopes is only 0.125%/min. Things only get flatter and flatter from there, at least up until the point that you "fall off the curve" due to, e.g., sleep deprivation, etc.

IOW, Trev has contributed nothing here but confusion, with you being case-study #1.
Quote Reply
Re: Power above FTP [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not claim the slop is constant, I pointed out the slope is continuously downwards. I was pointing out the slope does not abruptly change around 60 minutes. I pointed out the rate of slope is approximately the same from 20 minutes through 60 minutes and beyond. Note my use of the word approximately.
The point is the longer the duration the lower the power.

Would you agree with this statement? " Power falls as an exponential function of duration/distance".

Andrew Coggan wrote:
Trev wrote:
The curve, if looked at in real time, not log time, shows a continuous downwards curve, the longer the duration the lower the power and that decline in power is approximately the same rate from 20 minutes, through 60 minutes and well beyond. If there was a power threshold, at approx 60 minutes this would not be the case.

You are not thinking clearly.

Beyond a certain point, power declines *linearly* as a function of the *log* of time. (Runners know this as the Riegel formula or Riegel exponent.) That means that the slope is not constant as you claim, but is *ever-decreasing* as a function of *actual* time. It is because of this fact that the exercise intensity-duration relationship appears to settle at a plateau, as I showed in only the 7th post in this thread:

Now if you assume that that apparent plateau is an absolute plateau, you have the critical power model. Of course, we all know that no power can be maintained indefinitely as assumed by the CP model, so the question is, at what point is the rate-of-change slow enough that you're willing to call that quasi-plateau an actual plateau?

One could argue about just how small the first derivative would need to be to fulfill that criteria, but from a physiological perspective, a power output that can be maintained for 30 to 60 or even 70 min represents a threshold for many phenomena, e.g., blood lactate, EMG activity, muscle oxygenation, ventilation, hormonal responses, etc.
Last edited by: Trev: May 22, 18 14:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As to confusion. Seeing as you don't agree with parts of the TrainingPeaks article you wrote with Tim Cusick, you seem to be spreading confusion very well with out my help.
Andrew Coggan wrote:
paull wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Andrew Coggan wrote:

From TTF

Andrew Coggan wrote:

Quote:

What I said is true: the exercise intensity-duration relationship is quite flat out beyond the first few minutes of exercise. That is obvious in the nearly 200 curves shown in this post (note the X axis scaling):

Indeed, for most people tripling the duration from 20 to 60 min only results in a 5% decrease in maximal sustainable power, i.e., the slopes is only 0.125%/min. Things only get flatter and flatter from there, at least up until the point that you "fall off the curve" due to, e.g., sleep deprivation, etc.

IOW, Trev has contributed nothing here but confusion, with you being case-study #1.

Last edited by: Trev: May 22, 18 14:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Indeed, for most people tripling the duration from 20 to 60 min only results in a 5% decrease in maximal sustainable power, i.e., the slopes is only 0.125%/min. Things only get flatter and flatter from there, at least up until the point that you "fall off the curve" due to, e.g., sleep deprivation, etc. ". We agree here, although I have not checked your calculations. Isn't the decline from 20 min power to 60 min power more like approximately 7%?

The interesting question is why physiological thresholds like lactate, don't seem to show on the power duration curve. What mechanism smoothes out the decline in power as duration increases rather than more sudden drops in power as physiological thresholds kick in?

As these physiological thresholds don't reflect in the power duration curve, should they be ignored and we just look at the power duration curve as a whole?
Last edited by: Trev: May 22, 18 15:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trev wrote:
The interesting question is why physiological thresholds like lactate, don't seem to show on the power duration curve. What mechanism smoothes out the decline in power as duration increases rather than more sudden drops in power as physiological thresholds kick in?

I already answered that in my longish post earlier in this thread.

You have it bass-ackwards.

It's a smooth decline in power as duration increases not because physiological thresholds "kick in" as duration increases (such sustainable energy supply is already contributing at shorter durations) but rather because the rate at which non-sustainable limited-capacity metabolic energy supply sources are required to meet the power demand above threshold diminishes with duration.

It's a fixed amount of energy you have available to supplement your long duration sustainable threshold power supply. You can use it quickly for high power demand above that being met by sustainable energy supply, or more slowly for power a bit above threshold.

At a few minutes these non-sustainable sources might account for up to 1/3rd of the total energy supply. At 20 minutes it might be ~5% or so. At threshold their contribution is pretty small/negligible.

For some clues on why the P-D curve has the shape it does, have a read of this paper by Paul Gastin:
Energy System Interaction and Relative Contribution During Maximal Exercise

That's why inspecting the P-D curve for both short and longer durations is so useful as it helps to parse out each of the key physiological functional parameters, i.e. threshold power (or critical power if you use that model) due to sustainable aerobic metabolism, functional reserve capacity (or anaerobic capacity) which is primarily down to glycolysis and Pmax / peak power for very short duration power which is closely linked to the alactic PCr energy system.

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Last edited by: AlexS: May 22, 18 20:11
Quote Reply
Re: Power above FTP [AlexS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The point I was making is that the decline in power is smooth and you don't see any evidence of sudden drops in power as physiological 'thresholds' are reached on the curve. The interesting thing is how efficiently the body / brain ensures this smooth transition using the different systems / fuels/ feed back mechanisms etc.

It wasn't me confusing people by talking about the curve being very flat around 60 minutes or thresholds on the curve, or downward kinks in the tail or elbows.

AlexS wrote:
Trev wrote:

I already answered that in my longish post earlier in this thread.

You have it bass-ackwards.

It's a smooth decline in power as duration increases not because physiological thresholds "kick in" as duration increases (such sustainable energy supply is already contributing at shorter durations) but rather because the rate at which non-sustainable limited-capacity metabolic energy supply sources are required to meet the power demand above threshold diminishes with duration.

It's a fixed amount of energy you have available to supplement your long duration sustainable threshold power supply. You can use it quickly for high power demand above that being met by sustainable energy supply, or more slowly for power a bit above threshold.

At a few minutes these non-sustainable sources might account for up to 1/3rd of the total energy supply. At 20 minutes it might be ~5% or so. At threshold their contribution is pretty small/negligible.

For some clues on why the P-D curve has the shape it does, have a read of this paper by Paul Gastin:
Energy System Interaction and Relative Contribution During Maximal Exercise

That's why inspecting the P-D curve for both short and longer durations is so useful as it helps to parse out each of the key physiological functional parameters, i.e. threshold power (or critical power if you use that model) due to sustainable aerobic metabolism, functional reserve capacity (or anaerobic capacity) which is primarily down to glycolysis and Pmax / peak power for very short duration power which is closely linked to the alactic PCr energy system.
Last edited by: Trev: May 23, 18 0:21
Quote Reply
Re: Power above FTP [AlexS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alex, would you agree with this statement.

" Power falls as an exponential function of duration/distance. "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally it all makes total sense.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Reverse the axes.

2. Start the power axis at zero.

3. Include data from shorter durations.

If you do that, your plot will look just like the ~200 I have previously posted, showing power to drop rapidly at first, then settling at a quasi-plateau.

Indeed, because the last part is true (for both whole-body and isolated muscle mass exercise), the relationship can be modeled as if there is a perfect plateau that can be maintained forever. Monod and Scherrer called this the "critical power".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trev wrote:
As these physiological thresholds don't reflect in the power duration curve, should they be ignored and we just look at the power duration curve as a whole?

The best predictor of performance is performance itself.

That said, your starting premise is false.

If physiological events weren't reflected in the shape of the curve, it wouldn't be possible to extract reliable estimates of them via mathematical modeling. The latter can clearly be done, however, meaning that, e.g., lactate threshold (the concept, not blood lactate per se) does impact the shape.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: May 23, 18 6:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trev wrote:
Isn't the decline from 20 min power to 60 min power more like approximately 7%?

Not for the nearly 200 cyclists from all walks of life whose data I have analyzed, no.

If you grab just a handful of athletes, though, you could easily come up with a slightly different number, especially if your sample is biased toward a particular group (e.g., amatuer working stiffs who don't train all that much but like to"just smash it" in evening 10s).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
1. Reverse the axes.

If you do that, your plot will look just like the ~200 I have previously posted, showing power to drop rapidly at first, then settling at a quasi-plateau.

The graph below shows paull's data plotted as should be, instead of in his original reality-distorting, USA Today-style format. Since he didn't provide any data for efforts <8 min in duration, the dashed line shows what you get if you assume FTP = ~300 and Pmax = 3.5 x FTP (typical of those with a TTer's phenotype). The average rate-of-change in power in the quasi-plateau region is <0.05%/min.

Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: May 23, 18 6:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why you spend your time with these types is beyond me....

Reminds me of the "There are four lights!" STNG scene with Picard and The Cardassians.
Quote Reply
Re: Power above FTP [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

The point in any discussion such as this one isn't to convince those who have a differing opinion, but to educate those who don't know the truth.
Quote Reply
Re: Power above FTP [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

Reminds me of the "There are four lights!" STNG scene with Picard and The Cardassians.

A number of us have realized and greatly appreciated long ago that he does it for many of our benefit and not necessarily for those like Trev that do not care to learn and are just trolling. Also Trev, Mark and others cause Andy, Alex and others that have great info and training experience to post golden nuggets that have very helpful insights into the concepts and training to a degree. While I wouldn't troll these guys the trolls do cause some helpful discussion to the rest of us. I was sort of annoyed by a Wattage moderator quickly closing any recent thread that has FTP in it. I was picking up some good info from Andy, Alex and Hamish while ignoring paull and Mark. Same here except Dan has allowed the discussion to continue.

edit: Andy responded and answered
Last edited by: Felt_Rider: May 23, 18 7:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
1. Reverse the axes.

Indeed, because the last part is true (for both whole-body and isolated muscle mass exercise), the relationship can be modeled as if there is a perfect plateau that can be maintained forever. Monod and Scherrer called this the "critical power".

This is another rider, with the first point being a 5 minute effort.

Below is the same data with the longest duration point removed, which gives us a nice r2 value:

Quite how this amounts to trolling is beyond me, this is raising a genuine concern using real data. I really don't think such accusations are necessary or helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do get it. Lord knows I've engaged in enough "someone is wrong on the internet" discussions over the last 30 years. I've used the same rationale, as well....I want everyone ELSE to understand the "truth"...troll be damned.

But, its just that sometimes I think it gives a louder voice to those who would otherwise wouldn't have much of one. Often, I think these discussions leave the "truth" more obscured than when it started, or if only the troll had spouted some nonsense which quietly dies on the vine.

It reminds me of that saying about wrestling with a pig in the mud...

Quote:

A number of us have realized and greatly appreciated long ago that he does it for many of our benefit and not necessarily for those like Trev that do not care to learn and are just trolling.

You can count me among those, for at least the last 15 years. I got my first (well only, since it is still going strong) Powertap back on 2002, and was reading about them (and lusting after the holy grail of bike performance measurement) long before that.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: May 23, 18 7:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The point being that you can make any exponentially reducing curve look like a straight line or a threshold if you choose a broad enough y-axis.

That you chose to do that and it looks that way does not make it a true straight line or a true threshold
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. You still lack data at shorter durations.

2. You are still inappropriately starting your Y axes at a non-zero value. That distorts the visual relationship between the data points, and would generally not be allowed in a peer-reviewed journal unless A) you specifically drew attention to it in, e.g., the legend, or B) the reviewers and/or editor screwed up. A far better way of illustrating small details that would otherwise be obscured by axis scaling required to encompass all of the data is to use an inset figure, e.g.:

Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: May 23, 18 7:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
paull wrote:
The point being that you can make any exponentially reducing curve look like a straight line or a threshold if you choose a broad enough y-axis.

That you chose to do that and it looks that way does not make it a true straight line or a true threshold

No one ever said that it was.

When you plot the data correctly, though, it is clear that, beyond the first few minutes of exercise, the rate-of-change in power as a function of duration is so slow that as a first approximation it can be considered to have fallen to a plateau.

Indeed, if you stop at this first approximation, you have the critical power concept, as, e.g., implemented in GoldenCheetah.

IOW, both you and Trev are arguing against a straw man. In the process, you are not helping people, but merely confusing them.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: May 23, 18 8:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. We are looking for something that looks like a threshold around 45-60 minutes, adding data points < 5 mins won't do anything to the shape of the chart in that region
2. Choosing a broader y axis is distorting the true picture further, there is nothing special about the number zero in this context. (unless you're trying to make it look like a threshold) (edited)

Anyway, here it is, with the rider's 1 minute power added. Honestly, and I'm not trolling here, I don't see a threshold around 45-60 minutes. All I can see if you're looking for a threshold is some turnpoint between ~ 2 and 3.5 hours

Given the unfair, unpleasant and frankly gross accusations on this thread, along with the bullying that's gone on on previous pages, I think its time I went and spent some time on other things. This is getting a bit like sitting in a church trying to argue that god does not exist. I CBA, life is too short.
Last edited by: paull: May 23, 18 8:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
paull wrote:
1. We are looking for something that looks like a threshold around 45-60 minutes, adding data points < 5 mins won't do anything to the shape of the chart in that region
2. Choosing a broader y axis is distorting the true picture further, there is nothing special about the number zero in this context. If you're trying to make it look like a threshold

Anyway, here it is, with the rider's 1 minute power added. Honestly, and I'm not trolling here, I don't see a threshold around 45-60 minutes. All I can see if you're looking for a threshold is some turnpoint between ~ 2 and 3.5 hours

Given the unfair, unpleasant and frankly gross accusations on this thread, along with the bullying that's gone on on previous pages, I think its time I went and spent some time on other things. This is getting a bit like sitting in a church trying to argue that god does not exist. I CBA, life is too short.

1. Even 1 min won't really cut it. Try doubling the X axis maximum, as an estimate of what would be required to encompass all of the data if it were available.

2. Only an axis that starts at zero correctly illustrates the relationship between data points.

For example, if I plot the numbers 90 and 100 on an axis that only goes from 80 to 100, the points will appear to visually differ by 50%, when in fact they only numerically differ by 10%.

3. As Alex has repeatedly pointed out, "threshold" refers to the physiological responses. Staying at/below this intensity is what results in the relative flatness of the curve at longer durations.

4. If your feelings have been hurt by what has been said in this thread, you are clearly too thin-skinned to be engaging in this (or any other) debate in the first place.
Quote Reply

Prev Next