Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Power above FTP [liversedge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
liversedge wrote:
AlexS wrote:
There are of course various ways in which one can arrive at an estimate of FTP, some more reliable than others and these are often discussed.

And no way of establishing how reliable the estimate is, nor which method is any more reliable than any other -- since FTP is purely conceptual.

Reliability = reproducibility, so that's easy enough to test.

As for determining which estimation method provides an answer that is closest to the truth, you could compare the results with physiological data, but that's really just another source of noise. Instead, you should look to the method that provides the most direct assessment of "a power that can be maintained for a long time without fatiguing".

liversedge wrote:
Now if you say FTP *is* power at MLSS a study could check quite simply.

FTP *is* power at MLSS. However, it is also:

power at IAT
power at the NIRS breakpoint
power at VT2
power at the iEMG threshold
etc.

As for doing a study, it would largely be a waste of time, because it has long been established that such thresholds are 1) closely interrelated, and 2) highly predictive of endurance performance ability.

Such research would only have merit if the desire was to test a specific way of *estimating* FTP, e.g., 95% of 20 min power, or the WKO4 model. Even then, data interpretation is important, since any scatter on an individual basis or bias on the whole could be equally due to variability in the physiological data, in which case you have to decide which is the better predictor of performance (I'll go with the actual performance measurements myself).

(Note that these are not new ideas, i.e., here is what I wrote for USAC back in 2002 or so:

"while LT is often defined by sports scientists as the initial non-linear increase in
lactate with increasing exercise intensity (Fig. 2), this intensity tends to be significantly below
that which coaches and athletes tend to associate, on the basis of practical experience, with the
concept of a “threshold” exercise intensity. The latter corresponds more closely to what the
sports science community has termed OBLA (onset of blood lactate accumulation, defined as a
blood lactate concentration of 4 mmol/L), but is really conceptually closest to MLSS (maximal
lactate steady state) or IAT (individual anaerobic threshold), both of which represent the highest
exercise intensity that can be maintained without a continual increase in blood lactate.In terms
of understanding the physiology of exercise, it actually makes little difference which of these
various definitions is used, since they are all highly interrelated. On the other hand, this plethora
of definitions does tend to complicate the use of lactate measurements for the purposes of
exercise prescription, especially since determining the precise lactate level that corresponds to a
given athlete’s sustainable power (or HR) can be problematic. "

and

"Given the limitations of laboratory testing as discussed above, probably the easiest and most
direct way of estimating a rider’s functional threshold power is therefore to simply measure their
average power during a ~40 km (50-70 min) TT. This highly pragmatic approach is justified by
laboratory research showing that the power a cyclist can generate for 60 min correlates very
highly with, but is slightly greater than, their power at LT (defined as a 1 mmol/L increase in
blood lactate over exercise baseline) (2). The precise value obtained for threshold power using
this approach may vary slightly depending on the exact distance/duration of the TT, the terrain,
the athlete’s level of motivation and ability to pace themselves properly, etc. However, such
variability is likely to be small relative to the breadth of the defined training levels and the
somewhat arbitrary division between them. Furthermore, the simplicity of the approach means
that the test (which doubles as a level 4 training session) can readily be repeated if the data
obtained are considered suspect, or if there is reason to believe that the athlete’s fitness has
changed significantly. ")
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: May 17, 18 7:20
Quote Reply
Re: Power above FTP [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This really does seem much harder work than it needs to be. (Understanding it not riding at it)

Once I have my FTP I use it to set my power zones right?
Quote Reply
Re: Power above FTP [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
As for doing a study, it would largely be a waste of time, because it has long been established that such thresholds are 1) closely interrelated, and 2) highly predictive of endurance performance ability.

If any of the so-called 7 deadly sins produce a reliable estimate of power at MLSS without having to go through the hassle of multiple 30 minute trials then it certainly will be worth it.

"If"

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
liversedge wrote:
If any of the so-called 7 deadly sins produce a reliable estimate of power at MLSS without having to go through the hassle of multiple 30 minute trials then it certainly will be worth it.

"If"

Not "if", and not by a long shot.

Deadly sin #7 (i.e., a long TT), for example, is a guaranteed approach.

Deadly sin #6 is just a variation on the same theme, so would obviously work as well.

Deadly sin #5 also works, at least provided you follow Morton's recommendation and include a trial of at least 20 min, e.g.:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25606817

Deadly sin #4 was tested by Edwards and Jobson, and they found agreement, albeit only in a small number of subjects.

Obviously deadly sin #3 can work as well, and it doesn't require circular logic, either.

Deadly sins #2 and #1 are subjective, but given that they lead to comparable estimates of FTP as the other "sins", you would also expect them to approximate MLSS, at least on average/if you know what to look for.

Indeed, it is because of the wealth of research that has already been performed supporting these ideas that further studies are largely a waste of time.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: May 17, 18 10:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
produce a reliable estimate of power at MLSS without having to go through the hassle of multiple 30 minute trials then it certainly will be worth it

There are some ways. One is to do a simple lactate test (two at 5 min each) to measure the P4 (power at 4 mmol/l). The P4 is not the MLSS but it correlates with it very highly. For running or swimming the the test measures the V4 or velocity at 4 mmol/l.

But it is more important to understand what is behind the P4 or MLSS. That requires some additional testing such as an all out test to estimate the anaerobic contribution to the effort at the P4.

There is now software that will do this. Sebastian Weber's INSCYD at http://bit.ly/2ldZzDW.

Sebastian is now working with two of the major cycling teams in Europe and has established some representatives in the US. Last week he was in Los Angeles with Peter Sagan's Coach, Paxti Vila. He is in Boulder this weekend.

Also Shannon Grady has software that gets at it from her lactate protocol. See http://bit.ly/2BiDnBi for a discussion of her methods and FTP.

------------------

Jerry Cosgrove

Sports Resource Group
http://www.lactate.com
https://twitter.com/@LactatedotCom
Last edited by: Jerryc: May 17, 18 10:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
liversedge wrote:

"If"

Deadly sin #5 also works, at least provided you follow Morton's recommendation and include a trial of at least 20 min, e.g.:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25606817

Indeed, it is because of the wealth of research that has already been performed supporting these ideas that further studies are largely a waste of time.

Wealth? you provided one study and lots of hand-waving. Not to mention Pringle showed CP is not MLSS.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...+mlss+critical+power

Claiming equivalence across different physiological tests for a threshold is dodgy ground.
https://journals.lww.com/..._They_Really.19.aspx

No doubt both studies are flawed since they don't confirm your views.
Quote Reply
Re: Power above FTP [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:
I've read this thread and have no idea what ftp is supposed to be, still only what it isn't. The mental masturbation of academics makes it way more complicated than it needs to be.

I think it is like you try to understand what is a FinFET transistor in an integrated electronic forum

As Andrew said, life isn't that obvious. You need to have a different background probably to understand few statements in a forum. maybe read books about it

FTP is not something you understand from a 5mins chat in bar
and I don't think you need to know what it is, for performing well with your powermeter in triathlon races.

I just use the term "my threshold" and I have my pacing strategy compared to "my threshold"
it works great and it has nothing to do with FTP original term (which is not really useful for us).

I don't understand why people try to find as much as possible which test is specifically matching the original FTP term from Andrew.
Quote Reply
Re: Power above FTP [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who cares! This thread is full of so much BS it's absurd. I say that with respect to Coggan who is merely responding to comments/questions.

Jesus, if people want to debate academic theories in complex form, go to an academic conference. It adds no value here to the average forum person, for god sake, if you don't have the ability to make your complex theories simple enough for the audience (me included), then you don't know enough about the points you're arguing. Seriously, it makes you look immature, childish and ego driven
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apparently you haven't been listening (reading) the thousands of times that I have emphasized that CP will overestimate "threshold" if you calculate it using data from tests that are too short in duration, as Pringle and Jones found and as others (e.g., Morton) have repeatedly pointed out.

You also apparently haven't been paying attention if you have missed the thousands of times that I have emphasized that although various markers of "threshold" are comparable *on average*, they won't necessarily be in exact agreement in every individual (or even in every small n study).

Speaking not to Mark (who clearly is uneducable anyway) but to any enterprising young (or older) sport scientists who might be following along: although in general I think that this area of research is really a dry hole, a study or studies designed to determine *why* such markers differ might have value. It/they would require, however, coming up with some novel intervention(s) to definitively test any theory or theories... obviously just measuring them in a group of subjects and seeing how they compare or correlate has been done to death, and isn't going to provide any new insight.
Quote Reply
Re: Power above FTP [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:

I just use the term "my threshold" and I have my pacing strategy compared to "my threshold"
it works great and it has nothing to do with FTP original term

Actually, your approach has everything to do with FTP.

I'd also bet that if you did an incremental exercise test on an ergometer, you could pick out your FTP by feel, and it would likely agree with whatever approach you presently use to estimate it (if you use any other approach).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Plissken74 wrote:

it works great and it has nothing to do with FTP original term

Actually, your approach has everything to do with FTP.

I'd also bet that if you did an incremental exercise test on an ergometer, you could pick out your FTP by feel, and it would likely agree with whatever approach you presently use to estimate it (if you use any other approach).

i do every year a lab testing with O2+CO2 measurement + lactate samples on my bike on the trainer.
at the lab they come out always with "their own" FTP estimation which is a reference point for me (year over year comparison)

but my training zones are set on my personal hill all out, 7% average grade which last approx. 12mins. i take 90% of that for my threshold
training zones, HIM and IM pacing are all based on this hill test.

in the lab, I can measure more how many grams of carbs I consume at different power levels, more important for Ironman pacing (I can't do this test by my own, this machine is too expensive).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Apparently you haven't been listening (reading) the thousands of times that I have emphasized that CP will overestimate "threshold" if you calculate it using data from tests that are too short in duration, as Pringle and Jones found and as others (e.g., Morton) have repeatedly pointed out.

You also apparently haven't been paying attention if you have missed the thousands of times that I have emphasized that although various markers of "threshold" are comparable *on average*, they won't necessarily be in exact agreement in every individual (or even in every small n study).

E.g., just a short ways up this thread I wrote (emphasis added):

"There are numerous studies to support the assertion that, on average, MLSS, VT2, the NIRS breakpoint, Dmax, CP (calculated from tests of sufficient duration) all correspond to the same exercise intensity. Here's just one picked at random:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22364376 "

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6634076#p6634076
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
I was providing a verbal description of the quantitative relationship that exists. If you plot the values that I suggested, it might be clearer to you.
I don't need to plot them, it's clear to me without doing that. Nobody is suggesting the power duration curve is a straight line, so saying that the points aren't on a straight line adds nothing.

Lets try another interpretation of what you said, then, based on your "it's not a straight line" argument. Using your figures, 60 minute power: reducing by 5% increases TTE by 60 mins, increasing by 5% reduces TTE by 40 mins. So is your argument that this shows there is a threshold at 60 mins because 60 mins is a larger absolute number of minutes than 40 mins?
Quote Reply
Re: Power above FTP [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This whole thread...

My cats name is mittens
Quote Reply
Re: Power above FTP [AlexS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlexS wrote:
paull wrote:
So yes, its just a concept in physiology - an attempt to identify where LT is.

So you recognise that threshold is referring to physiological responses to exercise intensity. That's good. LT is but one of them but good that you see we are talking about physiological threshold.

paull wrote:
Apart from that, ... it doesn't feel like a threshold,

Well I suppose that's a matter of opinion. When I ride at that level it most certainly feels like I'm riding on that edge. I'm not alone in that sensation but I suppose that's subjective.

paull wrote:
it doesn't look like a threshold, ..., its not visually identifiable as a threshold, its not mathematically identifiable as a threshold. But apparently, its still a threshold.

Well all of those are, frankly, wrong. I guess you've never looked at a chart plotting various physiological responses to sustained exercise intensity. Such a change from quasi steady state to non steady state physiological responses is most definitely visually identifiable, and it's also mathematically identifiable from physiological response data.

paull wrote:
But apparently, its still a threshold.

It's a threshold because it's the maximal intensity level at which physiological responses can maintain a quasi steady state, and above that intensity they no longer do.

paull wrote:
Its been shown on wattage (and not disputed) that the threshold is not identifiable from power data in the region 20 to 120 minutes.

No, this was not shown on wattage.

To reasonably estimate the intensity associated with this threshold all one needs is one decent data point in that range, i.e. a mean maximal effort of about an hour's duration. That will, for all intents and purposes represent a very good estimate of one's power at threshold.

That's because the duration maximally sustainable for various physiological thresholds is typically of that order. This has been shown repeatedly in the literature.

What such a data set (20-min to 120-min) does not necessarily reliably enable one to do is to use some mathematical models to identify threshold power. If you want to use such a model to tease out a threshold power value, it requires data from shorter durations.

But as I pointed out above, use of mathematical models is but one method of estimating threshold power. Do a 40km TT and you'll have a very good estimate.

paull wrote:
To calculate the threshold you need a model which proposes its existence

There is no need to propose its existence. It's a very well documented physiological phenomenon. It's established science. To propose otherwise would require an extraordinary amount of counter evidence.

Threshold exists, and there is an intensity level associated with it and it can be expressed as a power output.

paull wrote:
and uses short duration efforts to find it. i.e. even though it exists usually between 45 and 60 minutes, and you have data from 20 to 120 minutes, that would not be sufficient to calculate it, you need maximal data from 1 minute to 20 minutes also

Short duration efforts are required if you propose to use a mathematical model in order to quantify each the various fundamental physiological capabilities, including threshold. One does not however need to use a mathematical model in order to ascertain a value for threshold power.

I'm not sure you'll take this in but really I'm doing this for the benefit of others.

The power we can sustain for any given duration is an integral of various physiological capabilities.

Some of these capabilities are sustainable for a very long time and are fuelled via an essentially limitless aerobic metabolism. While this power supply is not capacity limited it is somewhat rate limited - IOW this "threshold" capability can only provide so much power.

To go harder, this threshold level capability is supplemented by other non-sustainable but far less rate limited metabolic processes. These are significantly anaerobic in nature but it's a bit more complex than that, so let's just consider them capacity-limited capabilities which are far less rate limited - IOW they can supply significant additional power but only for relatively short durations. A little like a battery - it can discharge very quickly but there's only so much energy available. And also like a battery the rate at which it is discharged can vary - use it up quickly to service a very high power demand, or it can be made to last longer at lower (but still supra threshold) power.

So in order to ascertain this base level "threshold" capability via a mathematical model of the power-duration curve, you need data that provides enough information about how much these capacity-limited metabolic processes are contributing to the total power output. If your data set only includes points at which such capacity-limited metabolic processes represent a small proportion of the total energy supply then you risk introducing error in estimates. Keep in mind that such models also provide more than an estimate of threshold power, they also inform about one's capacity limited energy supply.

With a good model and with good input data over a suitable range of durations, it is a very good way to parse out each of the fundamental physiological capabilities - in particular the sustainable component, threshold, and the non sustainable capacity limited component.

This parsing out is reliably done with mean maximal power data starting from a few minutes duration as in general for most people it represents a minimum duration one can fully expend their non-sustainable capacity - to drain that supplemental battery if you like.

paull wrote:
There is absolutely no way that a mathematician could take the high quality maximal power data of a well trained cyclist and identify a threshold without input from physiological models which create the concept of threshold. The shape of the power curve does not look at all like a threshold, it is a continuously reducing gradient from 5 minutes to way beyond 2 hours. In terms of pure data, it simply is not there, it does not exist.

Once again, threshold is a very well established physiological phenomenon. I'm not really sure why you dispute either its existence or the fact that one can ascertain the intensity at which it occurs via power data.

That you can't "see" it in an MMP plot is neither here nor there. Threshold exists and the intensity at which it occurs is most definitely ascertainable via power data (provided you have good input data and use an appropriate method).

So give a mathematician the data of 100 well trained timetriallists. Don't tell them where the data is from, and ask them to find a threshold.

Their answer will be (a) around 1 minute and (b) around 2:30 to 4 hours. There won't be a threshold between 30 and 70 minutes.

Quote: "I'm not sure you'll take this in" - I don't want to sink to your levels of online bullying, but others should know that this is not an atypical response from the AC crowd, its the reason that wattage has long been a snake pit and that same issue occasionally leaks out onto TTF and here. I would suggest that you consider your own self respect and integrity before posting statements/content like this in future. In the meantime, I've asked Mensa for a refund, but they don't seem keen. You're pretty much misinterpreted everything I posted just to try to win an argument and make yourself look clever, it seems to have had the opposite effect - well either you did it deliberately, because you need to "win" at all costs, or you didn't really understand what I said, which suggests that you didn't have the mental capacity to take in what I said. I guess we'll never know but perhaps next time engage brain before keyboard. Welcome to my ignore list Alex.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:

You are not representing the literature at all correctly.
a) it depends on the model used
b) it depends on the durations selected
c) it depends on method used to fit.
d) using tests of longer durations (30 mins +) will not modify the fit of Classic CP model if there are 3-4 tests between 2-20 mins.
e) CP is not lactate threshold, is not MLSS is not FTP.

Your characterisation is simplistic and wrong, and yes you have said it over and over and over again.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Power above FTP [paull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alex used as his primary example of a physiological threshold, the lactate threshold, in his earlier post explaining what FTP is. However, some like Noakes dispute it exists.

“This mistaken conclusion resulted from at least 2 errors. First, too few blood samples were measured. For example, if only 4 blood samples had been drawn at running speeds of 10, 14, 16, and 20 km per hour, then a fictitious anaerobic threshold would have been identified at 15.5 km per hour. But measuring blood lactate concentrations repeatedly – for example every km per hour – shows that blood lactate concentrations rise exponentially without any evidence of a threshold phenomenon.”

“It is clear that the blood lactate concentrations do not show a clearly defined, abrupt threshold response during exercise of progressively increasing intensity. Rather, blood lactate concentrations begin to rise as soon as progressive exercise commences. However, at low intensities, the rate of the increase is so low that it is barely noticeable. Only when the exercise becomes more intense does the rise become apparent, which perhaps explains the erroneous impression that blood lactate concentrations increase abruptly when the lactate threshold is reached.”

“For these reasons, the term anaerobic threshold, lactate threshold, and lactate turnpoint are no longer justifiable”(4)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure where that quote is from but it's hardly evidence that threshold as physiological phenomenon does not exist.

Even Noakes refers to a lactate turnpoint, an intensity above which blood lactate level shows a significant and visible increase, which is in effect the same definition as other threshold definitions. He even suggests the proportion of VO2max it typically occurs (a range really) which aligns with other threshold markers, as does it's level of trainability.

Try again Trev.

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: Power above FTP [paull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
paull wrote:
So give a mathematician the data of 100 well trained timetriallists. Don't tell them where the data is from, and ask them to find a threshold.

Their answer will be (a) around 1 minute and (b) around 2:30 to 4 hours. There won't be a threshold between 30 and 70 minutes.

OK, well provide the data and let's see what the models tell us.

Spoiler alert: I've data on many excellent time trial specialists. And funny enough, the good models identify their threshold quite well.

But sure, if you can provide data on 100 others then let's have at it.

paull wrote:
Quote: "I'm not sure you'll take this in" - I don't want to sink to your levels of online bullying, but others should know that this is not an atypical response from the AC crowd, its the reason that wattage has long been a snake pit and that same issue occasionally leaks out onto TTF and here. I would suggest that you consider your own self respect and integrity before posting statements/content like this in future. In the meantime, I've asked Mensa for a refund, but they don't seem keen. You're pretty much misinterpreted everything I posted just to try to win an argument and make yourself look clever, it seems to have had the opposite effect - well either you did it deliberately, because you need to "win" at all costs, or you didn't really understand what I said, which suggests that you didn't have the mental capacity to take in what I said. I guess we'll never know but perhaps next time engage brain before keyboard. Welcome to my ignore list Alex.

Huh? I'm bullying?

You are making some extraordinary claims with respect to the physiological phenomenon of threshold that run counter to well established science. If you can't manage to defend such claims with sound logic, reason and evidence then expect them to be challenged. If not by me then by others in the field.

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: Power above FTP [AlexS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The quote is from Noakes. From his book.

Even MLSS does not show a steady state, merely a continual rise of up to 1 mmol/L over the last 20 minutes of a 30 minute test, and on average most will be at 4 mmol/L, so it is a very imprecise test at best which allows up to a 25% rise in lactate.

"Power falls as an exponential function of duration/ distance. Why this happens is unknown and how the brain 'knows' this is the way it is, is also unknown."

A few more quotes which sum up well.

" Anyone worth their salt realises that the notion of "thresholds" is really just mental convenience i.e., that the underlying physiology isn't quite that simple."

"The notion of a power threshold is really the same sort of mental convenience as the notion of a lactate threshold.

Last edited by: Trev: May 19, 18 5:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Enough said !!
Last edited by: Nolegs: May 19, 18 4:22
Quote Reply
Re: Power above FTP [Nolegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan has said this in the past.

"exercise physiologists tend to often use the term threshold (or sometimes even lactate threshold) to generically refer an individuals metabolic fitness. The term threshold is used because even though with increasing exercise intensity changes in substrate metabolism occur on a continuum, there comes a point (or exercise intensity) at which your bodys metabolic responses change significantly and measurably."

"Sustained power output reflects the length of time an athlete can put out a level of power without a noticeable degradation or decline in such power- statistically speaking, a point of deflection. Although again such changes actually happen gradually on a continuum and not really abruptly, such a point can typically be seen in in most athletes power duration and mean maximal power curves for hard, steady-state efforts lasting around an hour. It can therefore be modeled as a downward kink in the tail of the power duration curve."

Now this is the crux. The claim is that there is a ' point of deflection ' or a threshold that can be seen on the power duration curve at ' around' an hour. It is a vague claim, as we know Andrew Coggan claims approximately an hour is anything from 30 to 70 minutes, and we don't know exactly what around an hour means, but let's assume it is again anything from 30 minutes less than an hour to 10 minutes over an hour.

If I understand Paul and Steve Irvine's comments, they are saying you can't see this on the power duration curve, if you use real time not log time, and Andrew and Alex are claiming you can see it on the power duration curve. Andrew's post above claims the downwards kink can be modelled. Does that mean it can't be seen without using a model designed to show a threshold?

Paul and Steve have asked for a clear definition of what constitutes this claimed threshold or deflection point, or kink in the tail, but Andrew and Alex refuse to give a clear precise definition.

Those that claim there is a power duration threshold, and claim it can be seen on the power duration curve must prove their claims, show the threshold and clearly define what they mean by threshold.

It is not for those that request evidence to prove anything, evidence and clear definitions must be produced by those making claims. If they can't define what they mean by threshold and can't prove its existence, and show it where they claim it can be seen, then they are in the realms of pseudoscience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trev wrote:
The claim is that there is a ' point of deflection ' or a threshold that can be seen on the power duration curve at ' around' an hour.

No, it is not.

The greatest rate-of-change is actually around the 2 min mark, which is why paull naively argues that that it doesn't exist (since he ignores data from maximal efforts of less than 20 min or so). However, you have to go out much further before power and physiological responses reach a quasi-plateau.

(Note that paull is also wrong in repeatedly claiming that there is a downward deflection at around 2.5-3 h, due to glycogen depletion. In point-of-fact, there is only a quasi-plateau in power, not an actual plateau. If you mathematically model things assuming an actual plateau - as most models, including the CP model, do - then there must be a downward deflection at the end of the assumed plateau.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

You said, "Sustained power output reflects the length of time an athlete can put out a level of power without a noticeable degradation or decline in such power- statistically speaking, a point of deflection. Although again such changes actually happen gradually on a continuum and not really abruptly, such a point can typically be seen in in most athletes power duration and mean maximal power curves for hard, steady-state efforts lasting around an hour. It can therefore be modeled as a downward kink in the tail of the p... such a point can typically be seen in in most athletes power duration and mean maximal power curves for hard, steady-state efforts lasting around an hour. It can therefore be modeled as a downward kink in the tail of the powner duration curve."

" such a point can typically be seen in most athletes power duration mean maximal power curves for hard, steady state efforts lasting around an hour."

Are you now claiming you no longer claim FTP can be seen on the power duration curve at 'around' or ' approximately ' an hour, vague as they always were.

Andrew Coggan wrote:
Trev wrote:
The claim is that there is a ' point of deflection ' or a threshold that can be seen on the power duration curve at ' around' an hour.

No, it is not.

The greatest rate-of-change is actually around the 2 min mark, which is why paull naively argues that that it doesn't exist (since he ignores data from maximal efforts of less than 20 min or so). However, you have to go out much further before power and physiological responses reach a quasi-plateau.

(Note that paull is also wrong in repeatedly claiming that there is a downward deflection at around 2.5-3 h, due to glycogen depletion. In point-of-fact, there is only a quasi-plateau in power, not an actual plateau. If you mathematically model things assuming an actual plateau - as most models, including the CP model, do - then there must be a downward deflection at the end of the assumed plateau.)
Last edited by: Trev: May 19, 18 8:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
liversedge wrote:
You are not representing the literature at all correctly.
a) it depends on the model used
b) it depends on the durations selected
c) it depends on method used to fit.
d) using tests of longer durations (30 mins +) will not modify the fit of Classic CP model if there are 3-4 tests between 2-20 mins.
e) CP is not lactate threshold, is not MLSS is not FTP.

Your characterisation is simplistic and wrong

...except that:

1) we agree on points a-d (so I don't know why you bring them up), and

2) Monod himself has demonstrated that inclusion of longer duration tests results in CP = MLSS:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15677008

thus 'falsifying' your claims d and e.

Stepping back and focusing on the big picture: there are different ways of developing mathematical models of physiology (or other phenomena). Some explicitly incorporate a priori knowledge obtained using other means, whereas others are purely empirical in nature. The CP model is a bit of a 'tweener' in this regard, i.e., if you read Monod and Scherrer's original papers you'll find that they don't really link the parameters of the model to any specific physiological responses, just speak of them in somewhat vague terms as representing anaerobic (W') and aerobic (CP) metabolism. Regardless, the ultimate test of any model is how well it matches up with the 'gold standard' it is meant to describe or predict. In this regard, CP was intended to represent an intensity "that could be maintained for a very long time without fatiguing", which not coincidentally is the intensity also reflected in MLSS and other indices of "threshold." From this perspective, then, the appropriate test durations, model structure, etc., to use need to be based on validation against such physiological responses (as performed in the above paper), and not based just on statistical considerations, i.e., goodness-of-fit.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: May 19, 18 8:57
Quote Reply

Prev Next