Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well this thread won't be getting much love but it's one of my favorites so I want to keep it going. I'd even look at zwift numbers and positions!

56 miles of TT solitude
1. Average Power: 303, Normal Power: 304
2. 29.0mph
3. 56.1mi
4. 1:56:00
5. 6'3", 167lbs
6. TriRig everything, blah blah, you've seen the bike at this point. Video that was already posted here on the "course". Except I wore glasses w/ no visor and took out the plug.
7. Excuses for why my speed was so high: Riding at elevation (~5800) ft. Nearly perfect pavement for the entire course.
Excuses for why my speed was so low: Wore unaero socks. Nearly got blown off my bike once. 8 u-turn's on a 5 x out and back. Watts lower because of elevation. Haven't mounted my faster Michelin Power TT tires yet. No disc yet.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Last edited by: realbdeal: Apr 4, 20 20:02
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for bringing this thread back to life. It's one of my favorites
Ride from two weeks ago trying out some position tweaks

1) Average watts 229
2) Average speed in MPH 23.9
3) Distance 32.35
4) Rider weight 162
5) Describe bike and wheels premier tactical
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero
800' of elevation, few traffic lights, few turns, solid cross wind
7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
6. TriRig everything, blah blah, you've seen the bike at this point. Video that was already posted here on the "course".
Haha, I love it. But don't downplay it; you look AWESOME on that rig. As of this moment, I'll say that you are the poster boy for the Omni in size Large. Matt Russell is poster boy for Medium, and Joe Gambles for the Small.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard to find fault with 29mph on 303 watts! And the ability to handle brutal crosswinds on top!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was supposed to do my first 70.3 this year on June 14th in Luxemburg, which got cancelled. So did a 70.3 (sans swim) on my own as a challenge and to see where I'm at. Ran a 1h35'02", last 4k I lost a minute but it's hard to push yourself when you're solo the entire time. My open half should be 1h30-32'.

1) Average power: 221W, Normalized power: 225W. Last "FTP-test" was a 44' TT on Zwift where I averaged 296W at about 66kg.
2) Average speed in kph/mph: 38.7kph/24.2mph
3) Distance in km/m: 88.1km/55m
4) Rider weight in kg/lbs: 67.3kg/149.5lbs (about a kg too heavy haha)
5) Describe bike and wheels: 2015 Trek Speed Concept size S, long/low stem, Revolver mono arm rest, Elite bottle on downtube+1 round bottle behind the seat, Flo 60/90 carbon/alu, Favero Assioma Duo pedals, 165mm Shimano cranks, 54/38 Rotor aero front chainrings with a 11-26 SRAM cassette and KCNC oversized pulley, wearing Giro aerohead
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero: Didn't really taper. Other than that, not much traffic, rarely saw other bikes in on the bike path, very windy but did an out and back course so should be mostly "neutral".

Did not run the disc cover. 2nd pic is a race from last year but with the same kit, bike, components and position.

Last edited by: Tri_Joeri: May 27, 20 13:23
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
Was supposed to do my first 70.3 this year on June 14th in Luxemburg, which got cancelled. So did a 70.3 (sans swim) on my own as a challenge and to see where I'm at. Ran a 1h35'02", last 4k I lost a minute but it's hard to push yourself when you're solo the entire time. My open half should be 1h30-32'.

1) Average power: 221W, Normalized power: 225W. Last "FTP-test" was a 44' TT on Zwift where I averaged 296W at about 66kg.
5) Describe bike and wheels: 2015 Trek Speed Concept size S, long/low stem, Revolver mono arm rest, Elite bottle on downtube+1 round bottle behind the seat, Flo 60/90 carbon/alu, Favero Assioma Duo pedals, 165mm Shimano cranks, 54/38 Rotor aero front chainrings with a 11-26 SRAM cassette and KCNC oversized pulley, wearing Giro aerohead
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero: Didn't really taper. Other than that, not much traffic, rarely saw other bikes in on the bike path, very windy but did an out and back course so should be mostly "neutral".

Did not run the disc cover. 2nd pic is a race from last year but with the same kit, bike, components and position.

Bike and position look great but was curious about the power. With the general recommendation for 70.3 being 85% of FTP, that'd put you in the 240-250 range depending on what was calculated from that TT. Do you feel like you had another 20 watts in you or maybe other factors like the lack of taper that lowered the power a bit?

Dominic Pollizzi

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [zestypollizzi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By coincedence I also saw those recommendations a few days ago. But they're exactly that, recommendations.. Some people might have great 20' power but would not be able to hold that for over 30', so they would be overreaching if they would then try to hold 85% of that for 2h15-30'. Also it says you should run at 90-92% of threshold but I ran at 94-95% of my running threshold. I don't think I would've ran the half marathon at this pace if I rode another 20-30W harder, since I still lost 15"/km the last 4k on the run. 20W more would've given a better bike split by a few minutes but I could've easily lost those or more on the run.

I got the recommendation from a physiologist somewhere that a half distance bike leg should be paced around 2,4mmol/l power, which is what I paced for (was a couple of watts short) and which has worked well for me last year. We have '111' distance races here which are a 1k swim, 100k bike and 10k run. I did one of those to check my plan and to see how my run would be, and I ran the 10k in 4'20"/km average (open 10k pr is 4'08"/km average). So with that in mind, I wanted to try how this felt :)
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Club TT 25km.

1) Average power: 348W, normalized power: 354W.
2) Average speed in kph/mph: 45.0kph/28.0mph
3) Distance in km/m: 25km / 276m of elevation gain
4) Rider weight in kg/lbs: 65kg/ 143 lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels: 2020 Cervélo P5D, Xentis Mark 3 & Blade (disc), SRAM Red AXS 1x12. Bioracer Roadsuit, Giro Aerohead, Castelli TT gloves & shoe covers.
6) Misc notes: Rolling hills, a couple of short steep climbs (30m of elev gain). 15km of good road surface, ~10km of broken tarmac & potholes. Hard to keep optimal position on that section.
National TT championships were held on the same course in 2016, only that time 2 laps instead of 1 (50km vs 25km). Winner's av.speed was 45,2kph so this isn't a fast TT course by any means.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:

And you revealed yourself to be, drum roll, a triathlete! We may need to revoke your membership in the Classics banter thread :p

Jest aside, very well done. To run 21 km in 1 hr 35 after riding your bike for almost three hours is impressive (and in the TT position nonetheless).

As for that 1 extra kilo, I'd just drink some beer and not be too wistful about it. Certainly earned it after ~5 hours of exertion.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One can only hide his true colors for so long, right? Haha
I love triathlon, but cycling and every (geeky) thing around it is a passion ;)

I'm definitely enjoying the strong Belgian beers a bit now and not paying attention to weight, reminiscing about the Classics season we could have had and the beers to go with it every Sunday. Let's hope we can kickstart thread again in the latter part of the year! They're itching to race and there are only a few chances to win a big one, I expect a lot of legs to be torn off and not as many games to be played.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have their time, watts, and distance for IM MD?

Bored at work and wondering what kind of time I would be seeing.
Should be able to do 240w and currently weight 153 lbs

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race Challenge Daytona 70.3 [Nazgul350r] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts 212
2) Average speed in MPH 21.78
3) Distance 10miles
4) Rider weight 207
5) Describe bike and wheels QR PRsix, Zipp Vuka bars, TriRig extensions, TriRig scoops, Viewspeed Skewers, Darkspeedworks bento, Reynolds Stike SLG Front, Disc Cover rear, Speedplay aero
6) Misc notes, forgot my Tri suit so I raced in jammers, I’m sure I lost 10-100 watts there. 😜
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a race: just an out and back course

1) Average watts 229 NP 236
2) Average speed in MPH 24,9 in km/h 40,0
3) Distance 20,5 miles 33 km
4) Rider weight 187 lbs 85 kg
5) Describe bike and wheels p5 discwheel (latex conti 5000 25mm) 808 firecrest (latex conti 4000s ii 23mm)

6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero
out and back,
flat,
some wind (41,1 km/h out; 38,9 km/h back),
eighteen 90° bends; one U-turn
tarmac not very fast
77° F 25° C low air pressure
Power2Max
Castelli all out
Aerohead
1,22 W/lbs 2,69 W/kg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by: longtrousers: Jul 8, 20 1:00
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts 211
2) Average speed in MPH 22.6
3) Distance 56 miles (70.3)
4) Rider weight 155lb
5) Describe bike and wheels: 2014 felt b16, carbon speed 60/90
6) Misc notes - windy day
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts 274
2) Average speed in MPH 27.8 (44,5 kph)
3) Distance 14,5 miles (23,2 km) in 31:17
4) Rider weight 136lb (62 kg)
5) Describe bike and wheels: old Canyon Speedmax TT bike, 62 mm Reynolds Strike front wheel + Disc
6) Misc notes - out and back route with perfect fresh tarmac, +26 deg Celsius, light breeze, six short bumps and one a bit longer climb, 2/3 of the route is almost flat.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [indjke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
personal 40k TT last weekend in the absence of other races...

1) Average watts 217
2) Average speed in MPH 23.2
3) Distance 40k (time of 1:03:57)
4) Rider weight 139 lb
5) Describe bike and wheels: 2011 cannondale slice, hed jet 6+, conti grand prix 4k w/ latex, castelli all out suit, bontrager ballista helmet.
6) Misc notes - three U turns, basically no wind, good temperature but high humidity. course had 515' elevation. wondering if a COVID 2020 year goal for me could be to average 24 mph for this course...
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
10 mile TT (not a closed course)

1) Average watts 457W (NP 463W)
2) Average speed in MPH 28.2
3) Distance 10 miles (time of 21:24)
4) Rider weight 198 lb
5) Describe bike and wheels: 2015 Kestrel 4000, Old Zipp Disc/808, conti grand prix TT w/ latex, Kiwami Tri suit, Giro Aerohead helmet
6) Misc notes - one U turn, E-W out-and-back, 13mph wind SSE, 84*, high humidity, 354' elevation gain

Blog: https://davidkoppeltriathlon.blogspot.com/
Coaching: https://dkendurance.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [DKMNTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DKMNTRI wrote:

4) Rider weight 198 lb
5) Describe bike and wheels: 2015 Kestrel 4000, Old Zipp Disc/808, conti grand prix TT w/ latex, Kiwami Tri suit, Giro Aerohead helmet
6) Misc notes - one U turn, E-W out-and-back, 13mph wind SSE, 84*, high humidity, 354' elevation gain

This must be a record here: someone who can hold 457W for 21.24 minutes?
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
DKMNTRI wrote:

4) Rider weight 198 lb

It is pretty impressive - its 5.09w/kg.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
longtrousers wrote:
DKMNTRI wrote:

4) Rider weight 198 lb

Thanks guys! I seem to have an upper limit for shorter (5-25 minutes) that exceeds my actual ftp. I'm around a 400W ftp for olympic or shorter, but I know it doesn't quite translate on IM or flat half IM courses. Power is usually less than the typical 70 or 80% guidelines.
here is the Strava link: https://www.strava.com/.../3626620982/overview
Here are the TT results: http://v1.racesplitter.com/races/2D834B89C

Blog: https://davidkoppeltriathlon.blogspot.com/
Coaching: https://dkendurance.com/
Last edited by: DKMNTRI: Jul 8, 20 5:08
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [DKMNTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DKMNTRI wrote:
plant_based wrote:
longtrousers wrote:
DKMNTRI wrote:

4) Rider weight 198 lb

Thanks guys! I seem to have an upper limit for shorter (5-25 minutes) that exceeds my actual ftp. I'm around a 400W ftp for olympic or shorter, but I know it doesn't quite translate on IM or flat half IM courses. Power is usually less than the typical 70 or 80% guidelines.
here is the Strava link: https://www.strava.com/.../3626620982/overview
Here are the TT results: http://v1.racesplitter.com/races/2D834B89C

offtopic: I quickly crossread your 2019 kona report where you could not reach your normal watt-values.
I was in Kona 2017 having the same problem: slower on the bike and on the run than expected.

I heared it could be caused by jet lag (12 hours for me as European) and arrived therefore 3 weeks before the race in 2019 (yes we were in the same race last year).
This year I heared that acclimatization is not only advisible for time-difference reasons, the air has less oxygen because of the humidity: it is comparable with being in higher altitude where there is also less oxygen.

It went a lot better now especially in training: unfortunately I was a bit unfit with headache on raceday: probably a small virus (gotten at the slowtwitch gathering a couple of days before?).

Anyway, I hope I get the opportunity to try a third time.
Last edited by: longtrousers: Jul 8, 20 6:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yet another TT

1) Average watts 264W
2) Average speed in MPH 27.5
3) Distance 23.1 miles (time of 50:23)
4) Rider weight 136 lb
5) Describe bike and wheels: 2010-s Canyon Speedmax, Reynolds 62mm w/ Conti GP TT front, disc w/ Vittoria Corsa Speed tubular rear, Castelli Body Paint 3.0, Bontrager Aeolus helmet
6) Misc notes - out and back with one U turn, strong (mostly side) wind, 630 feet gain. Photo from pre-race check (actually frame from video, so sorry for bad quality)
Overall I'm happy with such a speed for a light guy, need more power of course :-p
This season turned bars 12 deg upwards and it feels very comfortable, and likely faster for me (because I can shrug and turtle better with this position).
Mywindsock estimates CdA to be slightly below 0.2 But possibly I can get even more aero with another helmet, because in Aeolus I can't keep head as low as I wish and see the road ahead.

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) 287W
2) 26.9mph
3) 55.9 miles
4) 70kg
5) Boardman ATT custom build with Enve 8.9s
6) Felt good, but was slowed down by the 20mph wind / 40mph gusts. Kinda scary!
7) Suggestions for improvement in position welcome :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [sbarley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [sbarley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Setup looks great and that's pretty solid speed for the watts, especially since you look fairly tall, but that front hydration doesn't pass my eyeball aero test. Might be that it's great, and it'd be hard to know without testing, but I just wonder if there is something better. The PD aeria stem and hydration would probably look fantastic, and you can just use a normal stem with their special faceplate now to save a few bucks.

Quote Reply

Prev Next