Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
205ap/208np

23.6 mph (4:42:10)

111 mi (IM Maryland)

165 lbs

Dimond Brilliant Frame
Tririg Alpha X cockpit w/ zipp alumina evo 110 extensions
Tririg Omega X brakes
ISM PN3.0 Saddle
Quarq 165 cranks w/ 54t 1x chainring
speedplay aero pedals
Customized giro shoes
Jet+ disc & 6
Speed View skewers
Conti 20mm Supersonics @ 95psi (at 5am - figured would bleed off some by time I was off the bike at 1pm)
Castelli T1 top
Giro Aerohead

Unfortunately legs felt like crap from the beginning. I expected to push 215 and have to hold myself back the whole time with fresh legs. Just took what I had on the day and didn't chase a number since I don't have a lot of experience at IM and was worried about the run.

Last edited by: Sean H: Oct 2, 18 12:55
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You all have permission to point and laugh at my feebleness. I have no penis at all, but I am brand spankin' new to the world of having power and I am super excited about seeing what a winter of concentrated effort will do for my numbers.

1) 185 NP, 173 AP
2) 17.6 mph
3) 14.5 miles
4) 5'3.5", 172lb
5) Felt IA16, HED Jet+ 6
6) Obviously there's a whole lotta low-hanging fruit to pick through before anyone talks about my "peak aero". It's not lost on me that I'm fat. Or that I need a new helmet. And that I don't warrant race wheels. I'm just sharing because, damn it, I can! And to remind you speedy folks that the BOP does read ST too.

Picture from Rev3 Williamsburg, since the ones from last race were all straight on and I haven't moved anything since.

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice! What IF is that for you?

Congrats on a solid race! Did you get a slot?
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad you posted and just a friendly reminder that you absolutely should be on those wheels. Take free speed wherever you can. No disclaimers necessary!

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [pvolb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Yes, ended up 4th AG but was lucky enough to get one of only 3 rolldowns for the whole race!

Not sure exactly what my FTP is so not sure on IF. My FTP in training peaks has been "set" at 305 for awhile, but WKO4 has had my FTP as high at 337 recently. I'd guess FTP is prob more like 320 if I actually did a 20min test.

So I'd guess IF was between .65-.67
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM CHOO 2018 - Swim cancelled

1) 179w NP, 157w AP, 1.14 VI
2) 21.8 mph
3) 115 miles, 4100", HR 142
4) 5'9", 155lb
5) 2012 Cervelo P2, Enve 6.7 Wheelset w/ PT, Conti GP4000 II, Latex, Wheelbuilder Aerojacket, ZOOT Aerosuit, Aerohead MIPS M size, Torhans Aero30 up front to block the mess of cables
6) Rain at the start, but it stopped and the day was mostly cool with little wind. First time I mostly trained for an IM on a trainer (a few 4 and 5 hour trainer rides while watching GoT) and also the first time I had a plan to not go all out in the first 20 miles.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  IM Chattanooga 2018

1) Average watts 195w
2) Average speed 21.8mph
3) Distance 115
4) Rider weight 190lbs (I look more like the Hulk on a bike than anything)
5) Describe bike and wheels: 2015 Trek Speed Concept 7.5 Full Ultegra group set (mechanical) Xlab torpedo BTA, Fizik Tritone saddle with dual BTS Gorilla bottle cages, HED Jet 6+ front with Continental force 23mm (90psi due to roads, probably could have gone to 95psi), HED Jet+ Disc rear with Continental TT 25mm (90psi could have gone to 95psi), Giro Aerohead helmet, Giro SLX shoes, P1 Pedals.
6) First IM, lost front hydration (Double concentrate of custom Infinite) bottle at mile 4 due to train tracks! Adjusted nutrition accordingly. On course Gatorade didn't give me all my body was looking for. Also, being my first I didn't want to poop the bed right away on the run because of over biking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1.) 251 average/260 NP
2.) 23.3 mph
3.) 56 miles
4.) 190 lbs
5.) Fuji Norcom Straight 2.5 w/ Hed jet 6+ wheels
6.) I think these data points are a little off because I had several dropouts of power. Not sure if it was the pedals or the watch that weren't relaying data. I'm definitely not as aero as I should be but I'm working to get there. I might looks at a different set of aero bars for next season. Need to actually get fit properly first.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eagerly anticipating nslckevin's post here this week.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've noticed some people doing this, and it's really helpful, but I think everyone needs to post up the elevation with the rides.

It's a lot different doing 15 feet per mile versus 50 feet per mile. Also, if there was an anomaly like a one-direction bike leg into a headwind or with a tailwind the entire time. A windsock measurement isn't necessary, but this kind of info is nice to see.

That's all. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:

Oh how nice it would be to ride away from guys for rainbow stripes ;)

I also saw Rappstar on the podium of the 3k Pursuit.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Augusta 70.3

Average Power- 161 Watts
Average Speed- 20.2
Distance- 56 miles
Rider weight- 168
Bike/Wheels- Scott Plasma 3 Premium, Williams 85 CC
Misc- Need more watts....
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UK2ME wrote:
I'm just sharing because, damn it, I can! And to remind you speedy folks that the BOP does read ST too!

Kudos to you! 185NP is actually pretty decent power. Keep at it and you'll only get better!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:

I don't have power on my mass start bike, so the only data I have from the scratch race is speed and HR. For me, I had a higher sustained HR that I've had in quite a while. 185 for the last 4km. Ave. speed for the scratch race was 49.7kph for 7.5km

In yesterday's pursuit I forgot to turn my Garmin on for the qualifier!! That was my better ride in 2:23. Though my pacing could have been a bit better as I went out a bit too hot.

For the bronze medal final I averaged 463 Watts for 2:25.626. (2:23.365 for the qualifier). The winner rode 2:20 for both heats. He's on my team pursuit squad. :-) Along with Larry Nolan (gold medal and World Record in 60-64) and Curtis Tolson. We are looking for around a 4:30 for the 4km IP.

Anyway, my pacing for the IP final was not great, but from the opposite POV. I floated it a bit too much as was evidenced by my last lap being almost .5 seconds faster than the previous lap. Good enough to get the job done though.

Setup:
Specialized Shiv with Front and rear FFWD disc wheels.
Vittoria Pista tires at 200 PSI
Pearl Izumi speed suit
Bell TT helmet
Road chain, rings and cog as opposed to 3/32" track.
Waxed chain.

Video below. If you watch past my heat you'll see the gold medal round. (Note that Pascal Montier who finished second used to hold the 50-54 World Hour Record, which he set in Bordeaux (Sea level...) until Norm Alvis broke it last year.) After that comes the 60-64 final rides with Larry's WR.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts
2) Average speed in MPH
3) Distance
4) Rider weight
5) Describe bike and wheels
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero
7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position.

1) 295W (301W NP)
2) 22.5 mph (36km/h)
3) 25.5 miles (40.7km) 531ft elevation (162 m) Out and Back
4) 176lbs (80kgs)
5) Giant Propel Advanced with Clip on tri-bars, stock wheels, gator-skins on the back and stock tire on the front.
6) I feel like the speed is low for the power output, probably due to the gator-skins and clip on aero bars. Thoughts?
Last edited by: willchristian: Oct 10, 18 17:38
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [willchristian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
willchristian wrote:
6) I feel like the speed is low for the power output, probably due to the gator-skins and clip on aero bars. Thoughts?

Coincidentally, I did a training ride recently, where I averaged roughly that speed with my P5. I was using a big slow road helmet, training wheels, and a loose flappy jersey. My average power was 211 watts. So I'm pretty sure you can do better with 295.

Each Gatorskin is costing you around 6 watts. I don't know what a "stock tire" is. But that could cost you another 5 watts. I don't know that the clip-ons are necessarily that bad. There are lots of other places you could be losing more power -- helmet, clothing, position, etc. The good news is 300 watts is respectable power, unless you're real young or sitting bolt upright.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UK2ME wrote:
Y....
6) Obviously there's a whole lotta low-hanging fruit to pick through before anyone talks about my "peak aero". It's not lost on me that I'm fat. Or that I need a new helmet. And that I don't warrant race wheels. I'm just sharing because, damn it, I can! And to remind you speedy folks that the BOP does read ST too.

A few points

* You do warrant race wheels, damnit. If you poke around on ST, you'll find that more aero wheels (esp. disks) are particularly beneficial at higher yaws (lower speeds). Even if that weren't the case: why not spend the $ on a favorite activity that's good for you. For most of my life my bike has cost more than my car. Which is how it should be.

* You really warrant an aero helmet. You don't need some fancy new thing. You can get a Giro Advantage for less than $100. It will probably make you .5 mph faster. That ain't peanuts.

* I think your position looks quite decent. If you can focus on dropping your chin and "turtling" your head, you will get *lots* faster.

Welcome to the thread! I hope you keep us updated as you go along. I bet you average an extra MPH real soon.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:
willchristian wrote:

Coincidentally, I did a training ride recently, where I averaged roughly that speed with my P5. I was using a big slow road helmet, training wheels, and a loose flappy jersey. My average power was 211 watts. So I'm pretty sure you can do better with 295.

Each Gatorskin is costing you around 6 watts. I don't know what a "stock tire" is. But that could cost you another 5 watts. I don't know that the clip-ons are necessarily that bad. There are lots of other places you could be losing more power -- helmet, clothing, position, etc. The good news is 300 watts is respectable power, unless you're real young or sitting bolt upright.

I'm 24, so depends on your definition of real young haha. Also rocking a road helmet. So I think there are a few things slowing me down. Looking at upgrading the tires before my ironman in 7.5 weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [willchristian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) 220W
2) 25.8MPH - 41.5KPH
3) 40KM - flat, slight side wind
4) 61kg - 134lbs
5) Giant TCR (2017) with aerobars - 30mm carbon stock wheels, gp4000s w/ latex tubes
6) POC Aero TT Suit, a big saddle bag (topeak aero wedge medium) for my phone and spares because tt suit doesn't have any pockets.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [robius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RACE: '18 IM Copenhagen
10:05 overall
(1;10 swim, 5:11 bike, 3:33 run)

1) Average watts
AP: 167
NP: 169
IF: 0.71

2) Average speed in MPH
21.5 mph

3) Distance
112mi

4) Rider weight
71kg - 161 lbs

5) Describe bike and wheels
Trek SC Gen 2, Zipp 808 front/rear. 25c Cont GP4000sII
Helmet - Giro Aerohead, size Small (vented)
Suit - Roka sleeved, size Small

6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero
- Actual bike time was 5:09, but I stopped to pee this time...not on my bike!
- I switched to a size small aerohead, noticed the medium was a little big. Plus I switched my race suit to a size small, a bit tight, but fit fine in the end. I think these 2 changes made a difference on staying slippery in the wind.
- Negative split the run (1:47, 1:45)
- Good conditions, a bit windy on the bike, but very nice and cool on the run. I lost the sub 10 on the swim and transitions, couldn't have run much better than that. I need a bigger bike engine and ftp!!

7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position.

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Cptnemo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm new to tri and "proper" road cycling but is the rider weight the biggest difference here? Cptemo has like 25% greater avg power on the same course and they went the same exact avg speed!

d00d
IM CHOO 2018 - Swim cancelled
1) 179w NP, 157w AP, 1.14 VI
2) 21.8 mph
3) 115 miles, 4100", HR 142
4) 5'9", 155lb
5) 2012 Cervelo P2, Enve 6.7 Wheelset w/ PT, Conti GP4000 II, Latex, Wheelbuilder Aerojacket, ZOOT Aerosuit, Aerohead MIPS M size, Torhans Aero30 up front to block the mess of cables
6) Rain at the start, but it stopped and the day was mostly cool with little wind. First time I mostly trained for an IM on a trainer (a few 4 and 5 hour trainer rides while watching GoT) and also the first time I had a plan to not go all out in the first 20 miles.

Cptnemo

IM Chattanooga 2018

1) Average watts 195w
2) Average speed 21.8mph
3) Distance 115
4) Rider weight 190lbs (I look more like the Hulk on a bike than anything)
5) Describe bike and wheels: 2015 Trek Speed Concept 7.5 Full Ultegra group set (mechanical) Xlab torpedo BTA, Fizik Tritone saddle with dual BTS Gorilla bottle cages, HED Jet 6+ front with Continental force 23mm (90psi due to roads, probably could have gone to 95psi), HED Jet+ Disc rear with Continental TT 25mm (90psi could have gone to 95psi), Giro Aerohead helmet, Giro SLX shoes, P1 Pedals.
6) First IM, lost front hydration (Double concentrate of custom Infinite) bottle at mile 4 due to train tracks! Adjusted nutrition accordingly. On course Gatorade didn't give me all my body was looking for. Also, being my first I didn't want to poop the bed right away on the run because of over biking.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [DimaP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

1. 192w/202 NP VI 1.05
2. 23.4mph
3. 113 miles - IM Barcelona
4. 158lbs/71.6kg
5. Dimond Brilliant, HED Jet 9/Disc. Conti Force/Attack w/ Latex, LG P-09 Helmet
6. First IM, ran into the back of the pack around 50% of the way through the 2nd lap where my power dropped and my VI went through the roof as I struggled to work my way through people but also try and not burn too many matches. Otherwise had pretty wide open roads with great racing condition. Power was low of my target (230ish), BBS had my split at 4:31 for this race so well off that which is interesting as the software was within 2 minutes of my actual 70.3 WC time. But I was able to run a 3:01 marathon.

Race shot, but not a good one of position:

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts - NP because I stopped when dealing with an injury: 147
2) Average speed in MPH - 15.2 mph
3) Distance - 112 miles / IMMT 2018
4) Rider weight - 161 lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels - 2011 QR CD0.1 with Boyd altimount wheels, standard bites hubs and gatorsjin hardshell tires.
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero - started OK but think my training plan didn’t get me to where i wanted. My aero position isn’t great but I can maintain it for a while. I can’t do much core work to strengthen my core as I am very susceptible to hernias. I have a colostomy, which impacts the abdominal muscles. Beats being dead.
7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position. - this was also about penis size, flaccid or erect? LOL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Training data today
3 hours of main bike principal work at the end 45 km at 70.3 pace , then run 10k at 70.3 pace and regenerate 2k

Distance 45 km
W average 245
NP 252
average speed 40 km/h

7 laps circuit open Street
each lap 6.4 km
A lot of wind for one side
Several curves braking almost to 0

Bike Trinity advanced pro
Rear wheel hed disc plus Clincher
Chinese front wheel 60mm Clincher
Rear "continental ultra sport 23mm"
Front "Michelin lithium 2" 23mm
The two wheels anti puncture tape mr tuffy
Helmet Poc cerebel
Trisuit Giant, sleeveless
Pedals speedplay
Shoes Bontrager hilo rxl carbon

weight 69
height 1,75

Use best bike split with 30 parts.

run 10k at 3:53 last k at 3:31

Could you tell me if it's a good power-speed ratio?
Or it can be improved by putting better clinchers

It's my plan for 70.3 Buenos aires 04/11

What do you think?
Can I improve it?
My plan is to make the bike at 3,5w k
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [warlockuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bike race yesterday

5:43:43
181km
Ave speed 32.5kmh
AP 175 w
NP 221 w
HR ave 165
TSS 371
Quote Reply

Prev Next