Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waco 70.3

1) Average watts AP 178/ NP 191 VI 1.07
2) Average speed in MPH 19.8
3) Distance 56 miles
4) Rider weight 185 lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels Felt IA1 with HED 9 & Disc. Continental 4k 23mm, about 85 psi
6) Misc notes: A couple of sections of chip seal pavement that were brutal

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rant much? I think I have plenty of threads and posts where I show what works for me and what doesn't. But, as you say that's not what this thread is about. I answered a question about speeds and power requirements....I apologize for not meeting your stringent criteria, but it seems it was adequate enough for the person asking it. 😉 As to the STRAVA https://www.strava.com/activities/2626950338

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Fab4mas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fab4mas wrote:
For the ones who zwift: do u think zwift speed is too high compared to real life speed for the same power ?

I've always thought Zwift is generous, but ive not got a full TT rig, just a road bike and clip-ons which isnt optimised in the slightest, so maybe that would change my mind.

I've done 2 zwift races recently on flat categorised courses and held 250/251w which give me 22.3mph average both times. I'm 6ft 2, 100kg for reference. Seeing the numbers in this thread and guys going 27mph off 200w is heartbreaking :/

@the.lazy.triathlete

https://www.strava.com/athletes/18691068
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Everything in this topic without a Strava link to the data isn't super helpful, unless you paste over some of the data.

Actually, at least 1/2 of the posts in this topic are worthless without more data. If you don't post a course profile or a total elevation, or something..........or a map or give us something to go on.................then knowing xxx watts and xxmph on certain equipment is worthless.

It's not to claim the poster didn't do it. It's just to say that's the data you need to make any kind of helpful assertions about the ride.

I get having a topic where people can "play ball", but it's not helpful to see things like: 220, 28mph, 40k TT.............well..........ok. Elevation? Route? Wind? Point 2 point or loop?

Sure, there's British TT guys doing 30mph on sub-300w. But, it's on dual carriageways with cars wind passing by on way way way non-UCI legal positions. Like not even close. Or sometimes point to point.

I thought the idea was to have good conversation about things that worked out and things that didn't.

Many triathletes don’t need to be UCI legal

If you a person was doing a race where UCI rules don’t apply what would you suggest?

Helmet?

Position?

Bike?

Kit?

Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lake George 70.3
1) Average watts: AP: 177W NP 187W

2) Average speed: 20.2MPH
3) Distance: 56.18 Miles
4) Rider weight : 133lbs
5) Bike & Wheels: Giants TCR advanced 1, Stock aluminum wheels
6) 1,988ft of elevation

Just got a tri bike with race wheels and getting serious about bike training over winter. Hope to make significant gains for next season.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like this thread but as a good example of data not being super useful, here is the info from my Waco 70.3 ride yesterday:
1. 300w NP, 297 AP
2. 25.5mph
3. 56.1 miles
4. 6'3", 170lbs
5. Ceepo Shadow-R w/ Vision Metron TFA bars, mechanical 1x, Princeton Carbonworks Wake 6560 wheels. LG P-09 helmet, Wattie one piece sleeved kit, Giro empire acc w/ elastic laces.
6. ~1500ft of climbing but no significant hills, all just small rollers. The terrible quality of the roads though can not be overstated. Aside from 10 total miles of good pavement, rough chipseal was the best we got. More often there was chipseal with massive cracks and random hidden ditches on the road. Oh and 29 turns. And a suicidal, 70 pound golden retriever that tried to jump in front of me at 30 mph. 25.5mph is not what you'd expect on 300w but this was my best ride relative to the field so far, and I only lost 10 minutes to Sam Appo and Starky. I expected to lose more.
Picture by Justin Luau

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [rbd32] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The post I was talking about was a TT, not a tri. So it was slightly more relevant. I just like data, that’s all.

The story of why I pay attention:
I’ve gone 25 on under 210 on a road bike and clip ons. But am convinced that the grandstands of the track blocked the wind hurting and only ever felt a helping wind. So, after that, I never sniffed the same speed again on identical position or equipment. Then dug and dug and found out that even the car racers always felt only a tailwind on the back of the track. For a year I couldn’t figure it out.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMMT 2016
166 watts avg
Avg speed 19.1

MLB
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Waco 70.3

1) Average watts: 160 watts (per best bike split but I suspect it was lower)
2) Average speed in MPH: 20.6 mph
3) Distance: 56 (2:45)
4) Rider weight: 140 lbs.
5) Describe bike and wheels: 2013 Cannondale Slice, Zipp Vuka cockpit, Flo 60/90 with disc cover, GP4000sii tires, 165mm cranks
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero: Roads were terrible as Ben described and my cadence sensor wasn't working. Overall I just need to develop more power.
7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position: Pretty happy with my position but I need to get my head down more. I’d love to hear any feedback or criticism.

Last edited by: triATX: Oct 30, 19 19:57
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [triATX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

70.3 Western Sydney

1) Average watts 230 (2.87w/KG)
2) Average speed in MPH 23.91or 38.49kph
3) Distance 56 miles, 90 km
4) Split Time 2:20:30
4) Rider weight 176 lbs, 80kg
5) Describe bike and wheels. 2010 Cervelo p3 with Tri Rig Front End and Brake, Ultegra r8000 and 60mm deep Tubulers (TWE Brand), Bontrager Aero Road Helmet, Zoot Sleeved TriSuit
6) Misc notes: Flat bike, not too technical, good weather, light breeze, 70% hotmix surface
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Gilliga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM Arizona

1) Average watts 212
2) Average speed in MPH 22.50
3) Distance 112 mile
4) Split Time 4:59
4) Rider: 6'2 180lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels. 2014 61cm Cervelo p5 with firecrest 808s, LG P09, LG M2 Tri top.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Hastiin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2019 12 Hour World Time Trial Championships, Borrego Springs California 50-59 age group

1. Average watts 187, normalized power: 200
  2. moving speed: 21.8 mph, total speed: 21.4
  3. Distance 253.2
  4. moving Time: 11 hours 39 minutes, total time: 11 hours 53 minutes
  5. Rider: 5'10, 205lbs
  6. 2019 Parlee TTiR, Zipp super g disc clincher rear, zipp 808 firecrest clincher front, Continental 5000 tires

1st in age group, 1st overall. https://my.raceresult.com/...2/?lang=en#12_B27124

First win ever in any race I've participated in.

Race report: https://give.worldbicyclerelief.org/...4465/updates/1985279

http://www.custombikexcessories.com
Instagram
Facebook
Last edited by: yannb: Nov 29, 19 22:21
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [yannb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
22 mph for 12 hours? You’re crazy. Congratulations!

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Sure, there's British TT guys doing 30mph on sub-300w. But, it's on dual carriageways with cars wind passing by on way way way non-UCI legal positions. Like not even close. Or sometimes point to point.

I thought the idea was to have good conversation about things that worked out and things that didn't.

Not many in the UK TT science are averaging 30mph.
And I'm not sure any of them are under 300w. If they are it will be not by much.

Most UK TTs are not on dual carrigways, admittedly the fastest ones usually are, combo of road surface, elevation and traffic.

Can't think of many that are point to point, the meat and drink course is an out and back.

The vast majority of UK TTers will have positions closer to UCI than triathletes!
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [yannb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's impressive.

How do they stop the race? I notice all the times are less than 12 hours, is it your last complete lap before time runs out? It would suck to go for that last lap only to miss by a few seconds.

edit: the race report explains it all, nice job!

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Last edited by: Fuller: Nov 30, 19 15:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Average Power: 289, Normal Power: 295
2. 26.1mph
3. 56.0mi
4. 2:09:23
5. 6'3", 167lbs
6. TriRig Omni w/ Alpha one, Delta cover, scoops. Princeton Carbon Works Wake 6560 wheels w/ GP5000 & latex tubes. Garneau sleeved kit & LG P09. Giro Empire ACC w/ elastic laces.
7. Normal power for the first 60min was 310w while chasing groups. Down to ~280w for the back half riding with people. Lots of turns but otherwise a fast course.
Photo courtesy of Justin Luau

Last edited by: realbdeal: Dec 12, 19 12:23
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And because there is a shortage of women's numbers in this thread:
1. Average Power: 192w, Normal Power: 197w
2. 23.1mph
3. 56.0mi
4. 2:25:50
5. 5'11", 124lbs
6. TriRig Omni w/ Alpha One, Delta cover, scoops. Princeton Carbon Works Wake 6560 wheels w/ GP5000 & Latex tubes. Sleeved 2xu kit & Giro Aerohead. Junk cycling shoes.
7. Some pretty severe knee pain in one knee that were trying to figure out. Didn't show up on the run but nearly debilitating on the bike. Still 11 minute faster split than last year.
Photo courtesy of tririg.com race day gallery

Last edited by: realbdeal: Dec 12, 19 12:23
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman Indian Wells

1) Average watts 240
2) Average speed in MPH 22.5
3) Distance 56.1
4) Rider weight: 165
5) Describe bike and wheels Felt B14. Reynolds race wheels.
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero Pancake flat course, although with some bumpy spots.
7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple months late but here is my IM Wisconsin info.

1) 236W NP (1.04VI)
2) 21.2 MPH
3) 112
4) 6'3", 185lbs
5) QR PRSix disc, Zipp 858s
6) Was expecting more speed for this power; I think my position in pretty good. Maybe tried to limit the top end too much and lost minutes on hills (?).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pictures not showing up for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Nazgul350r] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nazgul350r wrote:
Pictures not showing up for me.
Thanks. Should be fixed now.

Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race Challenge Daytona 70.3 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Challenge Daytona 70.3

1) Average watts : 170
NP : 168
2) Average speed in MPH : 20.8
3) Distance : 55.02
4) Rider weight : 205
5) Describe bike and wheels : QR PRsix, Zipp Vuka Aero bars, Reynolds Strike SLG (60ish mm deep), TriRig Brakes, Ownway Trisuit, Giro AeroHead, Shoe covers.
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero : Hit a pothole at mile 24 that launched the QRbox lid and tires levers off and had to recover. Light winds for the day, with a head wind on the way back into town.
7) Optional: Old Picture but nothing has changed but the shoe covers.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
1. Average Power: 289, Normal Power: 295
2. 26.1mph
3. 56.0mi
4. 2:09:23
5. 6'3", 167lbs
6. TriRig Omni w/ Alpha one, Delta cover, scoops. Princeton Carbon Works Wake 6560 wheels w/ GP5000 & latex tubes. Garneau sleeved kit & LG P09. Giro Empire ACC w/ elastic laces.
7. Normal power for the first 60min was 310w while chasing groups. Down to ~280w for the back half riding with people. Lots of turns but otherwise a fast course.
Photo courtesy of Justin Luau

26.1 avg is so awesome!!!! :)

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
matto wrote:
The goal of this thread is not to see how has the most power, nor the biggest penis. It is to assess efficiency.

You have a great thread. I was trying to grasp how efficient people are and came across this site with a calculator.

https://www.gribble.org/...g/power_v_speed.html

There seems to be a range around 22 mph where watts and mph are about even.

Going slow seems to be more efficient, in some ways, than going fast. Fewer watts and calories required when one goes slow.

It's really hard to be fast and efficient.

Thank you for the thread and all of the comparative data,

A training ride solo for me:

147 av watts / 153 NP
17.3 mph
54.0 miles
143 lbs and 6'
527 cal hr
IF .88
63 degrees, windy

bike Trek Domane

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Average watts: AP 319 / NP 322
2) Average speed: 30mph
3) Distance 11.9 miles
4) Rider weight: 155 lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels: Orbea Ordu, Reynolds 65 front, Roval disc rear. Continental clinchers
6) Misc notes: Frostbite TT at 5500’ elevation. Pretty good road surface with a steady strong cross headwind out, cross tailwind back. Pretty happy with the power and speed, but looking at race photos makes me feel like a sail.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply

Prev Next