Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
458, 663
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:
458, 663

hi, thanks for reaching out.

With a Pad Stack of 663mm and a Pad Reach of 458mm you could fit either a 56cm or a 58cm P5d. You'd be in the upper middle of the range of a 56cm or the middle left of the range of a 58cm. I think the 56cm would suit you just fine.

Make sense?

Eric

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [mrfreeze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrfreeze wrote:
Thanks for the help here, Eric - very cool resource you're providing. You helped me on an earlier "critique my position" thread, so thanks 2x!

Currently on a 2009 Trex TTX 9.5 and can't get enough scratch together for a new P5 so really have my eyes set on a ~2014-2017 P5 (or P3 if I just can't find one) - is it possible to still request help in this thread for an older ride?

If so here are my 3 requested measurements....happy to send more if helpful.

PadX = 416mm
PadY = 608mm
PadZ = 222mm (center to center pad width/separation)

Thanks for any suggestions/advice!

Travis

hi, thanks for reaching out.

That's not very much reach... you've got the stack of a 48cm or 51cm old P5 and new P5d, but your reach of 415mm is off the charts left for the old P5. For the new P5d, you'd be either a 48cm in the upper center of the range, and just off the back of a 51cm. Basically, the new bike ranges are "narrower" (and also longer!) than the old P5.

I'd be curious to see a picture of riding those fit coordinates... you might be a candidate for a saddle intervention which might effectively lengthen your torso.

Eric

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, always get worried about being on a 56 as I'm 6 feet 4
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:
Thanks, always get worried about being on a 56 as I'm 6 feet 4

You could go 58cm, but the numbers show that a 56cm would be fine.

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to be contrary (actually not - more to be helpful)

I'd lean towards the 58 - will mean less drop to the basebar and better stability (longer front centre). Note that I've calculated with no tilt, if your position has 10deg of tilt (as an example) the riser on the 58 would be at 68mm (83mm on 56)
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curretnly on a 2016 P2 with a 130 mm stem and still want more reach for arms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely the 58 then - more room to go forward.
Though if you've got a 130 stem on a P2 (56 or 58?) and 458 Pad X you must have a lot of setback on the armpads, or a lot of tilt on a bar that moves backwards when tilted.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm, I'll have a look and get the bike out of the box (Freight).

I get the arm pads part, not sure what you mean wrt to tilt, is that up?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Tilting the bar changes the position of the rear of the pad. In the instance of the EX10 riser on the current P5D - by quite a lot in the vertical.
The Aeria Ultimate shown alters both X & Y when tilted
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:
I'm curretnly on a 2016 P2 with a 130 mm stem and still want more reach for arms.

You need to say that up front! Your reach number was sort of a red flag… go with a 58cm.

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
Definitely the 58 then - more room to go forward.
Though if you've got a 130 stem on a P2 (56 or 58?) and 458 Pad X you must have a lot of setback on the armpads, or a lot of tilt on a bar that moves backwards when tilted.

Thanks for the interjection. The *one* time I miss a chance to tell someone they need a longer bike ;)

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
The *one* time I miss a chance to tell someone they need a longer bike ;)

I was perplexed. I figured that the grossly underfit state was throwing you off your game.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
The *one* time I miss a chance to tell someone they need a longer bike ;)

I was perplexed. I figured that the grossly underfit state was throwing you off your game.

Well that's the great thing about ST. When one's seat is too high, one is obligated to say something. I appreciated your input.

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't believe you fitters want actual data
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:
Can't believe you fitters want actual data

Well that's the thing... he gave me his stack and reach, which while in the upper left quadrant of the 56cm frame, it was still an orthodox position and not outside the stated purpose and ability of the bike to fit a human. He didn't tell me he was 6'4". I wanted to comment about the "upper leftness" of his position, but that's my *personal* philosophy, and not necessarily what's best for this thread or what's best for the large proportion of the bell curve of athletes that might be considering a Cervelo, and so I held back from commenting.

Once the height data point came out, CyclenutNZ was totally within his rights to call me out on that. Anyone who is that tall with a reach of 415mm is someone who needs to be asked about his relationship to his saddle, what is preventing his torso from stretching out, and if he had a negative or ineffective fit experience at his LBS.

Sometimes the same data can tell two different stories, or even three or more. It's the art of the fitter that allows us to see the real picture and do what we do.

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Eric,

I’m looking at the new PX frame. My current setup, which I’m not thrilled with- I think I need a little more reach.
Seat height- 801
Pad y- 705
Pad x-445
Pad z- 243 (center to center)

Let me know your thoughts on frame size
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [whalendds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
whalendds wrote:
Thanks Eric,

I’m looking at the new PX frame. My current setup, which I’m not thrilled with- I think I need a little more reach.
Seat height- 801
Pad y- 705
Pad x-445
Pad z- 243 (center to center)

Let me know your thoughts on frame size
Thanks

hey, thanks for reaching out.

With a Pad Stack of 705mm and a Pad Reach of 445mm you're at the very top of the size L PX series bike, and also in the upper left quadrant of the size XL. I like you on the size L, with the caveat that you know you're never going to get higher in the future. You'd have 40mm or so of play for getting longer if you needed to.

I just wanted to make sure your pad reach is 445mm to the back of pad.

Make sense?

Eric

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is to the back of the pad.
So obviously, I would like to get faster and in a better position over time. But given my ability level I want to make sure I can always achieve a position that is comfortable—-I don’t anticipate needing to go higher but I’m not sure I want to rule it out either. What sacrifices would I be making if I went with the XL frame?

I have issues with numbness while in the aero position that no fitter has been able to solve, so having some room to change my position if needed is a goal with the bike upgrade, however not looking to make any sacrifices that would slow me down.

Thanks for the help!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey,

Not sure this is the right place to ask:

I'm looking to change my seatpost with a dash combo post, and possibly upgrade my P3 into a P-series/P5d. I found one combo seatpost for sale purchased in 2018 which states "was made for a giant trinity".
Any idea if it would be compatible with a P3/P-series/P5 ?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what is a saddle intervention?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [Triingfrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, different seatpost shape.
If your P3 is the original carbon then that seatpost is a different shape from the 2nd generation and current models. If you're thinking of changing bike I'd do that first, then buy the right seatpost
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [whalendds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The L fits if you have the bar flat, but not so much if you tilt

You can see that at 10deg the L would be a lot lower than your target.
However, if you're not comfortable with your position I'd suggest addressing that as a priority before committing to a bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:
what is a saddle intervention?

Often times a bad saddle choice caused people to sit a certain way that shortens their torsos or prevents them from achieving an orthodox position.

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
The L fits if you have the bar flat, but not so much if you tilt

You can see that at 10deg the L would be a lot lower than your target.
However, if you're not comfortable with your position I'd suggest addressing that as a priority before committing to a bike.

That would be a preferable result... 10mm lower.

E

Quote Reply

Prev Next