Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eric,
I appreciate the feedback.

Those measurements are on a size 53 P3SL (old school), with a 90mm 17degree rise stem, 172.5 cranks, seatpost in forward position, but mid-rails. I've been leaning towards a 54 for the Pseries and your comment with moving forward aligns with a slight feeling of being bunched up.

Thanks again,
Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [rplong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rplong wrote:
Eric,
I appreciate the feedback.

Those measurements are on a size 53 P3SL (old school), with a 90mm 17degree rise stem, 172.5 cranks, seatpost in forward position, but mid-rails. I've been leaning towards a 54 for the Pseries and your comment with moving forward aligns with a slight feeling of being bunched up.

Thanks again,
Ryan

I had a suspicion... perfect!

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Team (Eric/Others): hoping you can assist.

I currently ride a 2019 Cervelo R3 and P3 bikes- 61cm for both. Cervelo has made the call to no longer offer a 61cm in the S5 or P5- the two bikes I would like to upgrade to. Cervelo claim that if you fit a 61cm on the P3, you will fit the new P5. Based on my review of my bikefit against their charts online- that is not the case. Before I risk an expensive outlay, I would like some help with sizing. I am 6"6 (203cm) and a top end age grouper. The cranks on the P3 are 165mm.

Pad X= 497mm
Pad Y= ~720mm
Pad Z= TBA
Saddle height- 807mm

Keen on the P5 but also want to make sure I fit and am comfortable on the weapon of choice, I prefer Cervelo but would like advice before I seek an alternative. Many thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [k_birchy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
k_birchy wrote:
Hi Team (Eric/Others): hoping you can assist.

I currently ride a 2019 Cervelo R3 and P3 bikes- 61cm for both. Cervelo has made the call to no longer offer a 61cm in the S5 or P5- the two bikes I would like to upgrade to. Cervelo claim that if you fit a 61cm on the P3, you will fit the new P5. Based on my review of my bikefit against their charts online- that is not the case. Before I risk an expensive outlay, I would like some help with sizing. I am 6"6 (203cm) and a top end age grouper. The cranks on the P3 are 165mm.

Pad X= 497mm
Pad Y= ~720mm
Pad Z= TBA
Saddle height- 807mm

Keen on the P5 but also want to make sure I fit and am comfortable on the weapon of choice, I prefer Cervelo but would like advice before I seek an alternative. Many thanks in advance.

Hi, thanks for reaching out.

Let's talk more about your goals... you say you're a top end age grouper, but in what race format? If you're doing half or full Ironman races, have you considered the P3x or PX? With a pad stack of 720mm and a pad reach of 497mm you're a size XL in P3x. Upper right quadrant, but still. As you've rightly figured out, that same position is not achievable on the P5d with the native EX11 mono-riser, but actually *is* achievable with the EX10 mono-riser, the one that comes native with the P3x.

Have you considered the P3x? Let me check on the accuracy of the charts and my own personal charts showing what a P3x mono-riser can do for the P5d.

Eric

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric!

I’m looking for a new bike and trying to choose between the PX or the P5 disc.

Here is my measurement:
Height: 177cm
Inseam: 84cm
Pad X: 58cm
Pad Y: 45cm
Pad Z: 21cm (center to center)
Saddle height: 74,5cm
Saddle setback: 5cm

My current bike is a BMC TM01 2015, size M-S and it’s a little small for me. My bikefitter wants me to get a little more playroom in reach (forward). I’ll attach a picture of my current position.

My own conclusion is size M in PX for some playroom in reach. And size 51 or 54 in P5d with EX10 for tilt and more reach. What is your recommendation?

My main races is half-IM and IM but sometimes I like to compete in lokal TT-races in my triathlonclub (I’m often at the top in the results). The P5d is faster but the PX is a little more comfortable?

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [Pudding86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pudding86 wrote:
Hi Eric!

I’m looking for a new bike and trying to choose between the PX or the P5 disc.

Here is my measurement:
Height: 177cm
Inseam: 84cm
Pad X: 58cm
Pad Y: 45cm
Pad Z: 21cm (center to center)
Saddle height: 74,5cm
Saddle setback: 5cm

My current bike is a BMC TM01 2015, size M-S and it’s a little small for me. My bikefitter wants me to get a little more playroom in reach (forward). I’ll attach a picture of my current position.

My own conclusion is size M in PX for some playroom in reach. And size 51 or 54 in P5d with EX10 for tilt and more reach. What is your recommendation?

My main races is half-IM and IM but sometimes I like to compete in lokal TT-races in my triathlonclub (I’m often at the top in the results). The P5d is faster but the PX is a little more comfortable?

Thanks in advance!

hi, thanks for reaching out. FWIW, I always disliked the M-S BMC knowing that there was a M-L out there.

I think you have your X and Y backwards, so I'm going to proceed presuming you have a pad stack of 580mm and a pad reach, to *back* of pad, of 450mm.

With those fit coordinates, I'd also conclude a size M PX bike would be best. The size S would fit, but you couldn't get much longer, whereas the M you can get a little bit lower and reasonably longer if need be, especially considering your comment about feeling like your current bike is a little small for you and seeing the picture.

The P5d is a little more complicated. I don't know that I'd lean toward a 54cm... you'd be in the lower left quadrant with only 5mm of stack to play with whereas the 51cm would give you 25mm of reach and 25mm of stack to play with. You'd need to *know* that your future position would be zero mm lower and more than 25mm longer to make me feel comfortable that you'd need the 54cm.

Can you confirm that my presumption is correct about your fit coordinates and that they're to the back of pad?

Does the PX and P5d advice make sense?

Eric

Last edited by: ericMPro: Jan 24, 21 9:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the quick reply!

You are correct. Pad stack is 580mm (620 to the top of pad) and pad reach 450mm both to the back of pads. My elbows are very close to the front end of my pads. And my fitter wants me to buy longer extensions if I keep my current BMC.

With P5d + EX10 size 51 what would the reach be?
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [Pudding86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pudding86 wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply!

You are correct. Pad stack is 580mm (620 to the top of pad) and pad reach 450mm both to the back of pads. My elbows are very close to the front end of my pads. And my fitter wants me to buy longer extensions if I keep my current BMC.

With P5d + EX10 size 51 what would the reach be?

Can you explain the discrepancy between 580mm and 620mm?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Eric. I do all the distances but prioritise 70.3 and IM. Thankfully in Aus we are still racing. My personal preference (visually) is not the P3X or PX, for some reason they are not great to look at and we know that is a big part of going fast :) I did read in this blog about the EX10 Riser- which looks to come with the P5. I did read the P3X has an EX10 aerobar but need to read more about what they mean. I struggle to understand how the riser takes me from outside the fit quadrant of a 58 to inside but looks to get me further forwards to allow me to stretch front end more comfortably. I am hoping to get a fix on whether or not I can fit the P5 before I consider alternative brands or the P3X/PX. I may have missed it last time but I attached my last P3 bikefit measurements. Thanks again for your assistance.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [k_birchy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
k_birchy wrote:
Thanks Eric. I do all the distances but prioritise 70.3 and IM. Thankfully in Aus we are still racing. My personal preference (visually) is not the P3X or PX, for some reason they are not great to look at and we know that is a big part of going fast :) I did read in this blog about the EX10 Riser- which looks to come with the P5. I did read the P3X has an EX10 aerobar but need to read more about what they mean. I struggle to understand how the riser takes me from outside the fit quadrant of a 58 to inside but looks to get me further forwards to allow me to stretch front end more comfortably. I am hoping to get a fix on whether or not I can fit the P5 before I consider alternative brands or the P3X/PX. I may have missed it last time but I attached my last P3 bikefit measurements. Thanks again for your assistance.

The “old” EX11 mono-riser that organized originally came with the P5d had more limited reach and zero tilt as compared to the EX10, which originally came with the P3x. I have a due out with Cervelo but I’m 95% certain that you’ll be OK on a P5d.

That said, with long course as your focus area and likely post-pandemic self-serve bike aid stations I really think you should consider the PX or P3x. A three bottle and storage solution will be likely faster than on a P5d.

I’ll get back to you.

Eric

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Eric, that is great insight and feedback. Let me know how you go and in the mean time I will look over the aero and performance difference between the P5d and P3x/PX, I could probably get over the look of the P3x/PX for better performance and a clean bike. If I ended up with a P5d do you think I would need to get custom/ or alternative drops? On the P3 I ended up replacing the standard drop poles with two new ski bend with longer reach. Thank again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
k_birchy wrote:
Thanks Eric, that is great insight and feedback. Let me know how you go and in the mean time I will look over the aero and performance difference between the P5d and P3x/PX, I could probably get over the look of the P3x/PX for better performance and a clean bike. If I ended up with a P5d do you think I would need to get custom/ or alternative drops? On the P3 I ended up replacing the standard drop poles with two new ski bend with longer reach. Thank again!

Always get ski bend extensions, even if you get the P5d. The challenge for the P5d will be to arrange three bottles and flat kit storage aerodynamically for your IM and HIM races. This is the benefit of the PX.

Eric

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brilliant thanks. Let me know how you go with Cervelo. Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I am new to the world of time trials and am looking to start some short course races. 10 and 25 mile type time trials. I am fairly happy with my fit on my road bikes, currently an S5 and an R2 but really struggling with where to start on my P3. The front end is a real mystery to me. I have a 56cm frame with a 100mm profile Aeria stem. Stem is currently slammed and I have angled the armrest cups to about 15 degrees from horizontal.
I am 6ft2 but long in the body.
Once all this Covid I will arrange for a proper fit but can anyone give me any pointers based on these measurements and hopefully the videos linked below.
It looks to me like my left knee is kicking out at the top of my stroke and it all seems a little choppy, is that saddle too low or am I trying to be too aggressive on the front.

Pad X = 470
Pad Y = 620

saddle height from BB 755
saddle back From BB 45

Last edited by: phil485: Jan 31, 21 7:09
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [phil485] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
phil485 wrote:
Hi,

I am new to the world of time trials and am looking to start some short course races. 10 and 25 mile type time trials. I am fairly happy with my fit on my road bikes, currently an S5 and an R2 but really struggling with where to start on my P3. The front end is a real mystery to me. I have a 56cm frame with a 100mm profile Aeria stem. Stem is currently slammed and I have angled the armrest cups to about 15 degrees from horizontal.
I am 6ft2 but long in the body.
Once all this Covid I will arrange for a proper fit but can anyone give me any pointers based on these measurements and hopefully the videos linked below.
It looks to me like my left knee is kicking out at the top of my stroke and it all seems a little choppy, is that saddle too low or am I trying to be too aggressive on the front.

Pad X = 470
Pad Y = 620

saddle height from BB 755
saddle back From BB 45

hi, thanks for reaching out. I think your fit looks solid. You might consider that your knee is flaring out because your cranks are too long. For the best results, I'd post these videos on the main forum where you can get a wide array of feedback.

Have you considered a remote fit in these pandemic times?

Eric

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the prompt response. Its good to know I am in the ballpark. Cranks are same as my roadbikes at172.5 so possibly could go shorter.
I am thinking of new bars and will probably go with aeria ultimate in a few months so want to get somewhere near dialled in before that.

I just need to get a brave pill and cut the steerer tube...

I have been holding out for Covid restrictions to lift in the UK but its taking longer than we all thought. I think a remote fit session may need to be the way forward just not 100% how effective it would be. Need to find someone who offers it and check out costs.

For now need to get the bike back in the turbo and work on getting used to the position. Roads are a real mess at the moment, very wet dirty and salty.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [phil485] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might want to try 155mm cranks and raise your saddle accordingly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking to get a P5X or a PX . Should I get the small or medium? I know I'm on the border of both sizes. I figure the medium may be better so I'm not hanging off the front of the bike.

Currently on a small Trek Speed Concept. Set up for fast / short TT(low and long)I feel like I am too big for the bike. Problem with most bikes, is I have a short inseam, reg/ long torso.
My Madone I ride a 52 to be able to have enough seat post bar drop.

Pad X: 460
Pad Y: 570
Saddle height: 690
Height 5' 9"
Inseam 29"
Last edited by: Tsafur: Feb 1, 21 18:25
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [Tsafur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsafur wrote:
Looking to get a P5X or a PX . Should I get the small or medium? I know I'm on the border of both sizes. I figure the medium may be better so I'm not hanging off the front of the bike.

Currently on a small Trek Speed Concept. Set up for fast / short TT(low and long)I feel like I am too big for the bike. Problem with most bikes, is I have a short inseam, reg/ long torso.
My Madone I ride a 52 to be able to have enough seat post bar drop.

Pad X: 460
Pad Y: 570
Saddle height: 690
Height 5' 9"
Inseam 29"

Hi, thanks for reaching out.

You're correct... with a Pad Stack of 570mm and a Pad Reach of 460mm you could fit on both a size S or size M in the PX bikes.

If you feel like you are as low as you might go but need to be longer or feel that you're hanging off the front of your bike, the size M would allow for future reach adjustment (but only 5mm of stack, you'd be "slammed"). That said, if you get a size S you'd still have about 15mm to play with and I'm sure that handling won't be an issue with pads all the way forward, "hanging off the front of the bike".

It's a judgement call... it really all depends on your future reach needs. If I saw a picture or video of you and had a discussion that said to me that 15mm more reach would be enough, in other words your position was perfect, then I'd go with size S. I'd need to look at you to be sure.

Make sense?

Eric

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Eric.

I figured that's what you would recommend.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [Tsafur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsafur wrote:
Thanks Eric.

I figured that's what you would recommend.

Any pics? There is some goodness to going with the small aerodynamically and from a performance perspective if you're already pegged.

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Eric! Looking to buy the new P-series in the ult di2 setup and was wondering whether I should get a 54 or 51. I have done a bare bones bike fit and took some measurements from my old QR cd0.1 2012 setup that is comfortable for me which I will provide below. Also bought a giant trinity pro 1 from 2016 in a medium but the reach to the pads was too far for me with seat all the way forward and just couldnt get it to fit. Also I couldnt find any info on what crank lengths come with those sizes but I have a 165mm on my current QR and like that.

Bike Measurements
front of seat to front of pad ~ 406mm
Seat height from ground ~ 1041.4mm
Pad height from ground ~ 965.2mm
Crank: 165

Body measurements (5'10 with long limbs and short torso)
Torso from waist to top shoulder ~ 460mm
Arms from shoulder to wrist ~ 597mm
Leg inseam~ 812mm
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [ericdelgRLS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is your saddle height from the center of the bottom bracket?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric,

Can you let me know the most appropriate sized P-Series triathlon bike?

Details:
- height 6'1.5"
- inseam 34"
- wingspan 6'4"
- 210 lbs.

Thanks,

PS: I have no idea about pad sizes, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About 29" from bottom of saddle, 30" if you go top of saddle.
Quote Reply

Prev Next