Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [dertoaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dertoaster wrote:
Hello Eric!

Thank you very much for your assessment. The 54cm is in stock at my dealer and he gives me a very good price.

Do you think I can't get the position with the EX10 riser? A bit deeper should definitely be feasible.

Or is the 54cm a no go in your opinion?

The other problem I still see is the height of the basebar. But I have the option of putting both bikes next to each other.

I'm not sure what kind of saddle it is now. But I'm not committed to that.

Many greetings
Heiko

Yes, I think you can make the 54cm work well, assuming you get the tiltable EX-10 mono-riser, but it will be less optimal than the 56cm would be.

I can't help you with the height of the basebar, you should be in the aerobars at all times ;)

Does that make sense?

Eric

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes of course, That make sense with your statement aerobars/basebars.

Thank you for your great support Eric!
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Eric,

I read your post and therefore I am not sure if it’s the right place and if you can help me.

I’m interested in the cervelo p series 2020, as I want to “upgrade” to a proper tri bike. I usually race on my canyon ultimate with tri extensions. I don’t have a real fit there as I just put it on as they are and use it. For an Olympic that worked so far. Now I want to try a 70.3 and thinking of the p series as a bike upgrade.
I’m 186,5 cm (~6 ft 1,5 in) long, have a inseam length of 90cm (35,4 inches) and an arm length of 64 cm (25,2 inch) measures from shoulder to wrist. My lbs says I need a 58 frame, but I read that the tri frame should (or could?) be a size smaller and I have the canyon in size 58 with 100mm stem (as the 120mm was a bit too long).

Can you help me find the correct size? Is the 58 good or should I go for the 56.
If I’m wrong here, sorry to bother you.

Anyway, thanks for your service

Fabian
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [Laelaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Laelaps wrote:
Hello Eric,

I read your post and therefore I am not sure if it’s the right place and if you can help me.

I’m interested in the cervelo p series 2020, as I want to “upgrade” to a proper tri bike. I usually race on my canyon ultimate with tri extensions. I don’t have a real fit there as I just put it on as they are and use it. For an Olympic that worked so far. Now I want to try a 70.3 and thinking of the p series as a bike upgrade.
I’m 186,5 cm (~6 ft 1,5 in) long, have a inseam length of 90cm (35,4 inches) and an arm length of 64 cm (25,2 inch) measures from shoulder to wrist. My lbs says I need a 58 frame, but I read that the tri frame should (or could?) be a size smaller and I have the canyon in size 58 with 100mm stem (as the 120mm was a bit too long).

Can you help me find the correct size? Is the 58 good or should I go for the 56.
If I’m wrong here, sorry to bother you.

Anyway, thanks for your service

Fabian

Hi Fabian, thanks for reaching out.

The tri frame ABSOLUTELY should not be smaller than your road bike frame... this horrible meme needs to die. I’d anything, it should be one size larger.

I would agree with your LBS in that you need a 58cm bike... I’m the same height and inseam as you and that’s what I would ride... a 58cm.

Make sense?

Eric

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

Hi Fabian, thanks for reaching out.

The tri frame ABSOLUTELY should not be smaller than your road bike frame... this horrible meme needs to die. I’d anything, it should be one size larger.

I would agree with your LBS in that you need a 58cm bike... I’m the same height and inseam as you and that’s what I would ride... a 58cm.

Make sense?

Eric

Hey Eric,

Thanks for your answer and for clarifying about the frame size myth! Great to know, you’re about the same size, so I’ll happily buy the frame 58!

Thanks a lot!

Fabian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric,

I would like to purchase a second hand P5 2019 disc sram axs size 56 with Zipp Vuka Shift AXS 90.

i am currently riding on a bmc tm01 size M short ( stack 515 reach 377) from ? 2012 with pro missile flat bars extensions.

i am 1,895 tall

measures of my bmc :

saddle high : 806
arm pad stack : 61,5
arm pad reach : 46,5

do you think the 56 will fit?

many thanks in advance for your feedback

phil

Last edited by: konachicken: Apr 5, 21 9:34
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [konachicken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
konachicken wrote:
Hi Eric,

I would like to purchase a second hand P5 2019 disc sram axs size 56 with Zipp Vuka Shift AXS 90.

i am currently riding on a bmc tm01 size M short ( stack 515 reach 377) from ? 2012 with pro missile flat bars extensions.

i am 1,895 tall

measures of my bmc :

saddle high : 806
arm pad stack : 61,5
arm pad reach : 46,5

do you think the 56 will fit?

many thanks in advance for your feedback

phil

With a Pad Stack of 615mm and a Pad Reach of 465mm you are squarely in the lower left quadrant of a 56cm P5d. It will do fine for you.

Eric

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
top, thank you Eric!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric,

I am looking at the 2021 P5 Ultegra Di2 or P-Series Ultegra Di2. I am currently on an older Specialized Transition Pro, with a good fit done on this bike a couple of years ago.

Reach: 410
Stack: 620
Seat Height: 696
(all from BB)

I am 5'4" - long limbed with a shorter torso.

It seems that I am close to the top of the stack range on the size 48 P5. Is this okay vs the size 51, where reach might be more of an issue for me? I am leaning towards the P5 (vs the P-series), and want to ensure I will fit on this more aggressive frame.

Thanks!
Sherrie
Last edited by: sherriem: Apr 5, 21 17:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric,

I currently ride a Medium Shiv in distance up to 70.3 at this stage, but I will be moving up to full distance racing in the next 2 years. I stand about 188cm tall and have reasonable flexibility, although on my current bike, I do experience headaches the day after spending a few hours on the TT, although this could very well be muscular related as I've always had tight neck and upper back.

I recently went and got a bike fit done here in Brisbane and my fit wasn't too bad. We tinkered with saddle angles marginally and changed my arm cups to have a 15° tilt, but that was pretty much it. My fitter said that my saddle is as far back as it can go, but he'd like to have less offset on the seatpost and move me further forward of the bottom bracket. Subsequently, I'd need to increase stem length 20mm, but that would be a short term solution.

He said that in an ideal world, my stack would be about 700mm and a reach of about 450mm, Working off the little calculator thing on the website, my C measurement is 680 and my F is about 450. that's based on measuring to the arm pad pillar and where it joins the underside of the arm pad cup.

I am wanting to upgrade my Shiv to a previous generation P5-six, and Australia only has a 56cm and a 61cm in stock anywhere. Do you believe that either of those would suit me and what my fitter would be trying to achieve, or am I doomed to not fit one of these frames?

Thanks,
Ben
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [sherriem] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sherriem wrote:
Hi Eric,

I am looking at the 2021 P5 Ultegra Di2 or P-Series Ultegra Di2. I am currently on an older Specialized Transition Pro, with a good fit done on this bike a couple of years ago.

Reach: 410
Stack: 620
Seat Height: 696
(all from BB)

I am 5'4" - long limbed with a shorter torso.

It seems that I am close to the top of the stack range on the size 48 P5. Is this okay vs the size 51, where reach might be more of an issue for me? I am leaning towards the P5 (vs the P-series), and want to ensure I will fit on this more aggressive frame.

Thanks!
Sherrie

Hi Sherrie, thanks for reaching out.

You're right, you're at the very top of the stack range for the 48cm P5d and at the very back of the reach range for the 51cm P5d. I would say that if you absolutely know that you'll never need to reduce your reach, you can comfortably ride the 51cm, but you'd certainly still be fine on the 48cm with 20mm of additional reach.

Are you more likely to get higher or longer (or shorter) in your future fit?

Make sense?

Eric

Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [BNothling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BNothling wrote:
Hi Eric,

I currently ride a Medium Shiv in distance up to 70.3 at this stage, but I will be moving up to full distance racing in the next 2 years. I stand about 188cm tall and have reasonable flexibility, although on my current bike, I do experience headaches the day after spending a few hours on the TT, although this could very well be muscular related as I've always had tight neck and upper back.

I recently went and got a bike fit done here in Brisbane and my fit wasn't too bad. We tinkered with saddle angles marginally and changed my arm cups to have a 15° tilt, but that was pretty much it. My fitter said that my saddle is as far back as it can go, but he'd like to have less offset on the seatpost and move me further forward of the bottom bracket. Subsequently, I'd need to increase stem length 20mm, but that would be a short term solution.

He said that in an ideal world, my stack would be about 700mm and a reach of about 450mm, Working off the little calculator thing on the website, my C measurement is 680 and my F is about 450. that's based on measuring to the arm pad pillar and where it joins the underside of the arm pad cup.

I am wanting to upgrade my Shiv to a previous generation P5-six, and Australia only has a 56cm and a 61cm in stock anywhere. Do you believe that either of those would suit me and what my fitter would be trying to achieve, or am I doomed to not fit one of these frames?

Thanks,
Ben

Hi Ben, thanks for reaching out. Max stack height for the 56m P5-6 is 694mm with the "High-V" mount. Is your fitter giving your 450mm reach to back of pad? Reach to back of pad for that stack height is 417-467mm, so I think you could make it work if that's the number your fitter is given.

Your current position is sort of upright and slack, and so as you evolve you will run out of reach quickly with the 56cm P5-6 and thus a 58cm would be more optimal. On that note, I feel like your fitter should have swapped your stem to one 20mm longer pretty much immediately... you don't want your saddle height and setback based on your stem position, but rather the other way around.

Make sense? Let me know about the reach number.

Eric

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply.

I believe that the fitter did choose to measure to the back of the arm pad. We didn't change the stem straight away because he knew that I was interested in a new bike and I wasn't super keen on throwing money at a stem that I'd need to sell straight away anyway. If I can't find the bike that I need/want, I'll put a new stem on it.

You say that my position is upright and slack, but I didn't think that it was too bad? I've attached a photo from a recent race that was before making a few adjustments to saddle angle and pad tilt. I feel like I can't get too much lower without compromising comfort over the race distance, rather than focus 100% on getting as low as possible. Obviously I can always be more flexible but I didn't think my position was too bad compared to others that I've seen?

Please note that this photo was taken about 100m away from the dead turn at the end of Lap 3 of a 4 lap 70.3 course on a bit of bumpy road, so I had relaxed a little bit in terms of lifting my head a bit. General body position isn't really different though.

Ben
Last edited by: BNothling: Apr 7, 21 13:53
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [BNothling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't see the picture.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I can't see the picture.

I know. I'm struggling with the 'inline' option. Have attached it as an attachment instead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BNothling wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
I can't see the picture.

I know. I'm struggling with the 'inline' option. Have attached it as an attachment instead.

You look pretty good, but being in the upper left hand quadrant hints at where you’re at sight unseen. In this pic if you can work your position so that you hide your head naturally it’ll be pretty good.

Like I said upstream, you’ll be maxing out the stack of the 56cm and in the middle of the reach range.

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Eric. I really appreciate the advice. Normally my head is much lower than what it is, but I was getting ready to turn around and also just generally having a bit of a relax on the run into the corner.

If you're happy that I'd be OK on a 56cm, I'll get that ball rolling!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BNothling wrote:
Thanks Eric. I really appreciate the advice. Normally my head is much lower than what it is, but I was getting ready to turn around and also just generally having a bit of a relax on the run into the corner.

If you're happy that I'd be OK on a 56cm, I'll get that ball rolling!

I wouldn't say that I'm happy exactly, more like reluctantly OK with it. a 58cm would be more optimal, but a 56cm would work, and would certainly be an aerodynamic upgrade over your Shiv.

Eric

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Eric! I anticipate that I will/can go lower but i'm not sure my reach can be lengthened that much more. Your response was helpful. Thank you!

Sherrie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric,

I just noticed a piece someone wrote online about the EX10 riser system pad plate being reversible:

"The EX10 setup has a pad plate which is reversible and this accounts for the increased fore-aft adjustability for the arm pad reach position".

Would this "reversibility" give be some wiggle room in case I need to shorten my reach slightly if I went with the size 51?

Best Regards,
Sherrie
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [sherriem] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sherriem wrote:
Hi Eric,

I just noticed a piece someone wrote online about the EX10 riser system pad plate being reversible:

"The EX10 setup has a pad plate which is reversible and this accounts for the increased fore-aft adjustability for the arm pad reach position".

Would this "reversibility" give be some wiggle room in case I need to shorten my reach slightly if I went with the size 51?

Best Regards,
Sherrie

The calculator factors in the EX10 mono riser. I think you could do just fine on the 48cm or the 51cm with the caveat on the reach minimum.

Eric

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Understand. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi guys,

Maybe a fit question... looking for some experienced advice. I've been riding my cervelox px.. I've had a fit done... I've ridden tt bikes for the better part of 6 years...

I've ridden and tinkered around with the position for the month and I'm having a problem I can't seem to fix. In the TT position my left leg seems to build a ton of lactic acid and never let's it go in only 1 of my quad muscles. My right leg is completely fine.. no issues. This seems to happen at what I think is a decently low effort. I can't get my hr over 165... normal max is 187... the pain build is ... intense...

Normally my left leg is my strong leg on the road bike... normally averages 51 or 52% power and the right legs at 49 or 48%... and in the tt position it's the opposite... right leg is stronger.

I'm not sure if it's one leg is longer or if my left hip is dropped a little.. or if you've heard of anything like this... I tried to lean a little to the right side of my saddle and it does let some of the build in lactic acid go down.

I'm up for suggestions if you have any.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [Mbellis5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mbellis5 wrote:
Hi guys,

Maybe a fit question... looking for some experienced advice. I've been riding my cervelox px.. I've had a fit done... I've ridden tt bikes for the better part of 6 years...

I've ridden and tinkered around with the position for the month and I'm having a problem I can't seem to fix. In the TT position my left leg seems to build a ton of lactic acid and never let's it go in only 1 of my quad muscles. My right leg is completely fine.. no issues. This seems to happen at what I think is a decently low effort. I can't get my hr over 165... normal max is 187... the pain build is ... intense...

Normally my left leg is my strong leg on the road bike... normally averages 51 or 52% power and the right legs at 49 or 48%... and in the tt position it's the opposite... right leg is stronger.

I'm not sure if it's one leg is longer or if my left hip is dropped a little.. or if you've heard of anything like this... I tried to lean a little to the right side of my saddle and it does let some of the build in lactic acid go down.

I'm up for suggestions if you have any.

Lots going on here.

This could absolutely be a fit issue, but it could also be a medical issue or a saddle issue blocking blood flow so you need to tread lightly.

What saddle are you riding? What saddle is on your road bike?

One thing you could try is making sure your left cleat is all the way back, as if you had a leg length discrepancy and were compensating. This might relieve some strain on your quads. Same for shorter cranks. Also check to make sure your saddle is high enough.

Eric

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm riding an ISM saddle (same as rode bike)... i can slam my left shoe cleat back - - i haven't tried that yet - - crank length on road bike was 175mm - - - - TT bike crank is normally a 172.5 or a 165m - - i have the shorter tt crank to keep the hip angle open a bit... - - i upped my saddle height last night by 2-3mm after my ride... was doing 30/30's in the tt position at 300w / 250w - - HR didn't go over 154 - - right leg was fine left leg was miserable - - not sure if i should push it up even more - - but i'll ride again today / tomorrow and if it feels unhappy without being to high i'll move it up a few more mm and see how it goes.

i'm also going to swap on my assioma duo's to see if my power arc is waaaay different from the road bike.

i don't think its a compartment syndrome or a blood clot as it only bothers me on the tt bike and not in other quad things like lifting or running... or road riding.
Last edited by: Mbellis5: Apr 9, 21 15:59
Quote Reply

Prev Next