Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3? [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For most of the world, there is already a maximum thickness of 5mm. So are the WTC, simply ensuring that their rules are consistent in all their races around the world?
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3? [Philb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
For most of the world, there is already a maximum thickness of 5mm. So are the WTC, simply ensuring that their rules are consistent in all their races around the world?

That's a pretty global statement. Have you seen "most of the world's" rule books? Not saying you aren't correct but that's a pretty big sweeping statement.
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3? [Philb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. Just look at different 70.3 rulebooks readily available online.

Last edited by: de-tri-mental: Feb 9, 10 12:17
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The above post should be done in pink....
Dev

I think the only thing E_moto 'does' in pink are cheerleaders...

cheers
S.

// qui audet adipiscitur
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3? [de-tri-mental] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
other questions include, what about wearing multiple wetsuits that are each 5MM??? seems that would be legal. If not what about all those people that were 2XU elite speed suits that have a very slim sliver of neoprene at the hips.... there total thickness would then be 5.1MM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Is it WTC doing it globally or is is just the local RD (Roch and Huddle?) unilaterally deciding this? Or did the guys printing the athlete guide just assume that the wetsuit thickness is 5 mm, because for most, that is the general perception even though USAT has no limits.

If there is a 5mm limit I want the QRoo VPB measured up as well as some of the 2XU suits. No point singling out Emilio on this issue...there are other parties who are perhaps equally "guilty" of going passed the 5 mm rule and driving up the buoyancy of their suits, but they keep it somewhat under the radar with marketing speak rather than spitting out the actual panel thickness.

Dev

Great point.
Brings up the question, that/since the athlete is allowed to wear their bike/run uniform under their wetsuit, then a racer could elect to wear a 5mm "cheater" under their wetsuit, and then elect in transition to not wear it (for whatever reason ). This would sidestep the thickness issue entirely, since it is not a wetsuit, nor is it attached to set wetsuit/tri-suit. it is simply a garment or undergarment.

hmmmmmm........

persequetur vestra metas furiose
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3? [E_moto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think having to peel off two suits instead of just one would negate most of the benefits of doubling up..
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3? [justsomeguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good point. also a good point made in post #97.

Additionally: If I put on said 5mm suit, and once wearing the garb, it stretches and in doing so now measures 4.9mm. it is now legal. because it is now thinner than 5mm.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If there is a 5mm limite I want the QRoo VPB measured up as well as some of the 2XU suits. No point singling out Emilio on this issue...there are other parties who are perhaps equally "guilty" of going passed the 5 mm rule and driving up the buoyancy of their suits, but they keep it somewhat under the radar with marketing speak rather than spitting out the actual panel thickness.

I would bet Emilo has this data and if his wetsuits get banned, he'll be the first to provide it to WTC.

================================
blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
E_moto makes a ton points that I completely agree with. When I'm not training/racing tri's I play golf which is a sport I see the sport of triathlon following in growth/popularity/technology.

When plastics, steel and titanium entered the golf game the arms race to bigger, faster, longer, straighter was on and the two fighting governing bodies(the USGA and Europe Royal and Ancient Golf, R&A) couldn't agree on ball size, club size, grooves and until they came to terms you had people all over the world scrambling every year to buy the newest and best until the rules were finally set to stop the craziness(anyone who bought a $500 callaway ERC II driver feels the water rover peoples pain).

Nutshell: They finally agreed on a set of standards that the world follows and if they make any changes in rules they don't go into affect until the following year. It would be nice to see USAT and WTC adopt a similar mentality because it will only help athletes and manufacturers which in turn allows the sport to focus on growth and popularity.

And much like golf, regardless the outcome you will always have people with the disposible income and loose morals to buy the fastest or skirt a rule here or there. You just have to accept that and play the game to best of your training and ability.

Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A B A
Quote Reply
Quintana Roo VPB and the Superfull wetsuit [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As the designer of the 2010 QR Wetsuits, I can assure you that we are using a 5 mm neoprene from Yamamoto. What we actually do is use a 3 mm neoprene panel on the outside of the leg sewn to (not over) a 5 mm panel on the inside of the leg. There is no deception, sorry for the confusion. I hope this helps clarify the questions posted.

Last edited by: Mac McE: Feb 9, 10 12:54
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Until someone has proven the QR is 5 or under, based on their own website posting, it seems fair to assume it is over 5. With this assumption, I have asked many times before, why are folks not going after QR and their VPB, like they are going after the WR?

WOW...you are unbelievable!

BTW, you need to wipe your chin...

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo VPB and the Superfull wetsuit [Mac McE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So can you defintitively say that none of the 2007-2009 QR VPB wetsuits were not over 5 mm in the VPB section? We'll take your word for it, however, you only mentioned 2010. I can actually see how your concept would work by not inhibiting the hips from rolling when incased in a lot of thick rubber, yet keeping the middle of the core riding high.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Though a quick dunk in water could deem it a flotation device.
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo VPB and the Superfull wetsuit [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't design the previous 2007-2009 VPB suits, so I didn't comment on them. Nevertheless, the way the suits are sewn together (a method called blindstitching) is identical. There is no overlap. Your observation of the way it works is accurate. Better swimmers can feel it right away, novice swimmers swim better but don't quite understand how.

Quote Reply
Re: De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan, if your comment is true that WTC no longer follows the dispensation process with USAT, sure seems like Skip would consider taking away the ability of WTC to be "USAT certified". When I go to a USAT race, I am expecting the same rules. If this is not the case, and USAT allows this, then I guess the USAT brand does not mean much.

As other have stated, it really is the pits when we see the honesty in our sport, it is not about customers, it is money and power. I know I have talked to Skip many times over the years why our sport does not seem to be able to work together to have one set of rules. I guess the answer is easy, follow the money.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3? [running2far] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its an odd rule because it can't be enforced. You can sport check looking for the water rover design on the chest, but what about T1 tops and water rovers bottoms?
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3? [DamonHenry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Though a quick dunk in water could deem it a flotation device.

potentially that is true, but I can tuck 2 of those " blue/white/blue/white/blue/white" pull buoys into my arm pits (1 under each arm), and still walk across the bottom of the lap pool at boys n girls club with no problem (Solana beach).

And while those clearly are flotation devices with the intent of being flotation devices......when I use one it does not perform its job per the manufacturers intention. Instead, it just looks funny.

My point being: 1 person in a 3mm suit could see much greater flotation benefit than another person in a 5mm suit, since buoyancy of the suit and wearer yields relevancy.

Quote Reply
Re: De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3? [Torps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think having to peel off two suits instead of just one would negate most of the benefits of doubling up..

Being I am skinny, sink like a rock and HATE cold water, I'll try anything. I sink in a normal 2-3mm wetsuit, so I recently purchased a 5mm ProMotion Afterburner (with thigh inserts). I don't know how many of you are under 5% body fat and swim in 50-55 degree water, but even 5mm isn't enough for me to stay warm.

I have worn two 2-3mm wetsuits when practicing and the combo was very fast and warm. It was a lot of fun too, but the limited range in the shoulders forced me to come up with a better solution. I stiched 2 pieces of 3mm neoprene together and placed it in front. It gave my old QR 9mm and for the first time I didn't have to vigorously tread water to keep my head up in an open water start.

I do float in the ProMotion (barely), and have not raced with the extra 6mm yet.

Basically, with the extra flotation I sit in the water like most of the other athletes. So if over 5mm is banned I think they should also ban athletes over 10% body fat ;)

Quote | Reply
Acutally, great question.

"Wetsuits must be 5mm thick or less."

So, for you lawyers out there, what does this mean? All or part? Average, etc. ??

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alright, I am really starting to wonder why Emilio hasn't jumped in the thread yet....not that he has to but I would be interested to hear what he has been hearing about this
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo VPB and the Superfull wetsuit [Mac McE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As the designer of the 2010 QR Wetsuits, I can assure you that we are using a 5 mm neoprene from Yamamoto. What we actually do is use a 3 mm neoprene panel on the outside of the leg sewn to (not over) a 5 mm panel on the inside of the leg. There is no deception, sorry for the confusion. I hope this helps clarify the questions posted.

I probably don't understand how this works. If 3mm is sewn to 5mm, don't you get 8mm?

================================
blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3? [running2far] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Its an odd rule because it can't be enforced. You can sport check looking for the water rover design on the chest, but what about T1 tops and water rovers bottoms?

That's exactly what I would do if I were so inclined to get another suit anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo VPB and the Superfull wetsuit [Bell Head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The edges of the panels are glued together, then blindstitched. they are not overlapped. It is the same exeact process for joining a shoulder to a chest panel or joining a calf panel to a knee panel. There is no trickery or deception. I promise.

Quote Reply
Re: Quintana Roo VPB and the Superfull wetsuit [Bell Head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is what I thought initially...posted the same thing you did and then deleted...I think he was meaning 3mm on the inside of your leg (inner thigh) and then 5mm on the top of your leg (front thigh)...I think
Quote Reply

Prev Next