Prev Next
Re: De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3? [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!

persequetur vestra metas furiose
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3? [xcsnail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
possibly true but look at all the people that have been brought to the door-step of desoto.... It forced a bunch of people who were one-piece users to consider a two-pieces. Regardless of what happens more people know of desoto now and specifically their unique two-piece design.
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if Emilio could have enough of a case for a lawsuit if he was told by USAT that this would be allowed.

Why don't they just say no 5mm + wetsuits for pro/elite and let the AG'r wear what they want
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like there were modifications to the athletes guide.
From the athletes guide page 9.
"6. Wetsuits are allowed if the water is less than 76.1 degrees Fahrenheit (24.5 degrees Centigrade) or
colder. Athletes who choose to wear a wetsuit in water that is above the allowable temperature will not
be eligible for awards or qualification spots.
7. Any assistance required during the swim will result in disqualification..."

Nothing related to wetsuit thickness
http://www.ironmancalifornia.com/2010IMCHAI.pdf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Extreme suit thickness might be banned because it's perceived as damaging WTC's image, and thus business, regardless of how slow or fast a suit actually is.

If Desoto in fact did due diligence, I would hope that any WTC rule change takes effect in 2011 so as not to unnecessarily harm Desoto. The company is an valuable part of the triathlon community.
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3? [BrzilianTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow,

Can I put in the request to have the drafting rules taken out?

Whom do I have to arm-wrestle for that? Let me know....

What a circus!

Last edited by: de-tri-mental: Feb 9, 10 15:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was fast. Emilio must have someone's ear over there
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is that someone writing the athlete guide for Oceanside just wrote that "thinking it was the rule" but without actually verifying that there is in fact NO USAT rule.
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My guess is that someone writing the athlete guide for Oceanside just wrote that "thinking it was the rule" but without actually verifying that there is in fact NO USAT rule.

That would not surprise me one bit. One thing I was going to post is that these athlete guides are reused from year to year (and probably race to race on occasion), and sometimes there are glaring errors in them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So my stupid question for the night is why is it 76.1 deg and not 78?

Grant
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I guess, thanks to those damned foreigners who either don't own a water rover or compete at the 70.3's abroad, I now got a better shot at the 70.3 "national" championship race....

Thanks, but no thanks!

Last edited by: de-tri-mental: Feb 9, 10 15:50
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the story's loading up on the home page. bottom line: both prohibitions (5mm and speedskin) have been rescinded.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"rescinded" indicates it was a valid rule. I'd love to hear what happened to get it rescinded in 24 hours...... (it might be in your story, it wouldn't link when I went there,.... eta linked, it's not discussed, just says "no ban is in place")
Last edited by: ChrisM: Feb 9, 10 16:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
HIGHLY doubtful. I would suspect that they would lose a certain percentage of purchases via the Tri community, but having a suit so hot that its banned in some places makes it inherently more desirable in every other area.

I officially name this the "Finman's Law".

-Jot

Dear Spoilsport,

Can I have my business plan back?

Sincerely,

Robinhood Golf Balls
Ping Eye 2 Sand Wedges
Aluminum Baseball Bats and
Ground Effects Skirts

------------------

- I do all my own stunts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I submit, regardless of the pending dispensations, this little dustup for the Oceanside 70.3 has damaged DeSoto and adversely impacted their sales of the Water Rover. Who wouldn't think again now on pulling the trigger on a WR purchase.
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3? [Al P Duez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I submit, regardless of the pending dispensations, this little dustup for the Oceanside 70.3 has damaged DeSoto and adversely impacted their sales of the Water Rover.//

What world do you live in?? The wetsuit was not banned because it was not pretty enough..I've swam in the thing, and it is by far the fastest, warmest, and most comfortable suit I have ever worn..All this pressure to get it banned is just for those reasons, just like they tried to ban the fibreglass vasulting pole many years ago.. At the very least, folks will get a full season out of the suit, and I believe even more likely, they will leave this thing alone like Charlie said all along..Too hard to enforce, and this suit is already bumping up against the advantage wall..People pay $45,000 for ironman slots, and $3 grand for community slots..I think that there are plenty of competitors that will pay $600 for a distinct advantage in the water, even if for only one season.. I think you really got it backwards, this whole dustup will bring attention to the WR, and there will be more sales than otherwise would have been..

And let us not forget that DeSoto is the most honorable company out there, past or present, and I'm sure that no one was going to be hung out to dry so to speak.. Emilio's customers are more than just credit cards that go through that month. He treats them like family, and in return they become loyal like family..Too bad more companies do not adopt that attitude, would make for a lot less stress in our big purchases...
Quote Reply
Re: De Soto Water Rover-not at Calif 70.3? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I submit, regardless of the pending dispensations, this little dustup for the Oceanside 70.3 has damaged DeSoto and adversely impacted their sales of the Water Rover.//

What world do you live in?? The wetsuit was not banned because it was not pretty enough..I've swam in the thing, and it is by far the fastest, warmest, and most comfortable suit I have ever worn..All this pressure to get it banned is just for those reasons, just like they tried to ban the fibreglass vasulting pole many years ago.. At the very least, folks will get a full season out of the suit, and I believe even more likely, they will leave this thing alone like Charlie said all along..Too hard to enforce, and this suit is already bumping up against the advantage wall..People pay $45,000 for ironman slots, and $3 grand for community slots..I think that there are plenty of competitors that will pay $600 for a distinct advantage in the water, even if for only one season.. I think you really got it backwards, this whole dustup will bring attention to the WR, and there will be more sales than otherwise would have been..

And let us not forget that DeSoto is the most honorable company out there, past or present, and I'm sure that no one was going to be hung out to dry so to speak.. Emilio's customers are more than just credit cards that go through that month. He treats them like family, and in return they become loyal like family..Too bad more companies do not adopt that attitude, would make for a lot less stress in our big purchases...

X a gazillion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I disagree, USAT still has no rule and even if ironman wants to change the rules that are sanctioned by USAT they have to get approved. Normally USAT only approve a rule if it is safer for competitors. In this case i doubt they would say banning a wetsuit that provides more floatation would be safer for competitors.

I still don't see the issue. If you can't race with one where you live dont buy one, if you can decide if you want to or not.

I have both because of worlds, but MOST people in the US don't need to worry about the wetsuit being banned.

Grant
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is wise for Emilio not to have responded (good advice, Dan). It does sound like he was not informed about a rule change or consulted about it (not that the WTC needs to consult with anyone). I hope Emilio gets an opportunity to discuss with the "right people" and get a full explanation- if there is one at this point. You are right-time will be needed to get this figured out.
Emilio, if you are reading-hang in there. Thanks for making many great products and for your extraordinary customer service.
While I do think wetsuits give an unfair aid to us slower swimmers, I know how important they are. I remember in the mid 1980's in Santa Barbara barely making a 1 mile swim (reduced from 1.2 because of the cold water) because of the cold water. NO WETSUITS allowed back then. I had hypothermia and sat in transition for 20 minutes with my teeth chattering uncontrollably. Never even got on the bike.
How thick is "fair/necessary/not just cheating? The tri gods have not decided- I guess.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a huge DeSoto fan, and Emilio, and you are high if you don't think the specter of a real ban being raised at Oceanside will not adversely impact his sales. All those Oceanside registrants with WRs were seriously questioning their purchase today and probably still are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well that real ban turned out not to be too real I guess..I would suppose all those folks that bought WR's are very happy right now, especially if they are in the Oceanside race, which usually has sub 55 degree water.. Like I said, if it goes bad right away, which from Dan's article looks very unlikely, I would look for a real compromise from a company like DeSoto towards it's customers, one that would make everyone happy..Any other company and I would agree with you, but not DeSoto...
Last edited by: monty: Feb 9, 10 16:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess this puts to rest the question as to whether or not Emilio is actually Tyler Durden.

persequetur vestra metas furiose
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In preparation for his 2011 Kona appearance, Lance Armstrong, in cooperation with Yamamoto, a top Japanese neoprene manufacturer has been developing a hybrid kayak/wetsuit, code named the Water Banana, that is fully compliant with present wetsuit rules.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well said Monty. I was thinking of fiberglass poles too when I read this.
Triathlon has always been a leader in innovation.
I do think at some point we are just getting thicker wetsuits to go faster. We, the tri community, need to make rules. It sounds like we need continue the discussion.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree Emilio is good for it if it goes bad. I maintain DeSoto has already been damaged to some degree by WTCs faux pas.

BTW, I do pretty well and do not buy a wetsuit every year.
Quote Reply

Prev Next