Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [Ellsworth53T] [ In reply to ]

Ellsworth53T wrote:
No, I'm saying that Mike Alexander should post the screenshots that he sent to Callum's sponsors.
If this is the back story, as he seems to be alluding to, and he has the pictures, he should post that here.

The reason he harassed Cupcake is not related to my interaction with him or what I posted here. I have no idea what that coach's beef is with Callum. I was calling out the irony of Cupcake being butthurt, when he has no issue dishing it out himself.

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [zedzded] [ In reply to ]

a few thoughts:

a) callum's performance at the race has nothing to do with the behaviour in question. anyone who wants to change the coversation to callum's placing has something to gain by changing the topic. this should hardly need pointing out, but harassment and assault aren't OK whether the victim is in first, in dead last, is a saint or is an absolute jerk.

b) and if things went down as described by callum, this is indeed harrasment at best and assault+ at worst.

c) i think brett sutton is a sleaze. he's plead guilty to raping at least one of his athletes when she was a kid; for that and various other reasons i think he doesn't deserve a place in the sport, and the people who associate with him are stained by that association. i don't know cam watt from a hole in the ground but based only on his association with brett i'm at least willing to believe he has crap judgement and did what callum alleges he did.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]

Mike Alexander wrote:
turningscrews wrote:
Sending screenshots & tattling to sponsors sounds like my 6 year olds behavior.

I gave him multiple opportunities to address it. He refused to do so and actually backed up his name calling behavior. Again, I should have let it go and let karma deal with him and his sponsorships.....as I am sure they would have soon realized the type of person they had repping their product. I am more than happy to admit fault.....unlike Cupcake. In no way does any of this make it ok for a spectator to physically impede the progress of someone racing. No idea the specifics on that issue. I have given this topic and Cupcake, too much of my time......he is digging for reasons to try and stay relevant. Ironic and sad.
The fact you keep calling Millward 'Cupcake' makes you come across very immature. Regardless of whether you have a point, your constant ridiculing shows you are more likely the problem than either of the parties involved.

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [PJC] [ In reply to ]

Millward was a disgrace of a professional yesterday.

He was the last pro and over 1 hour behind the winner.

148th overall.

That is not a professional performance.

--------

Taking the whole social media aspect out......I think this is missing the mark, or that yes this was a "disgrace" of a pro performance, but this isn't exclusive to Callum.....Go check out the women's race (8 women pros finished over hour behind Ryf). Go check out Frodo from last year. Seriously go look at the women's pro results. Shit happens in the pro ranks, that every year makes one or two performances have a "not a pro performance". Is that going to be your MO to call out the shit pro peformances every year, or is it because of the social media issue side of story adds on to it here?

Again, I think every year you can find professionals who have stupid bad days.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Oct 15, 18 7:47

Mike Alexander wrote:
Now, Cupcake is whining about someone calling him names. I find that ironic. He sounds like a little child. Lastly, I am not condoning the name calling by the spectator, that's a BS thing to do.

my head is fucking spinning trying to read this - you've folded back in on yourself about 5 times over in the space of 4 sentences.

if calling people names is inappropriate or childish, maybe referring to callum as 'cupcake' throughout this thread is a poor choice.

second, you're quite purposely obfuscating what's happened here. if one person in the crowd shouts "you suck!" at a pro athlete, most of us would agree that's a bit tacky but par for the course. but that's not what callum alleges happened. it was several straight minutes of harassment followed by what sounds like assault. that's not OK and not commensurate with calling someone a mean name on facebook.

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [Benv] [ In reply to ]

Benv wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:
turningscrews wrote:
Sending screenshots & tattling to sponsors sounds like my 6 year olds behavior.

I gave him multiple opportunities to address it. He refused to do so and actually backed up his name calling behavior. Again, I should have let it go and let karma deal with him and his sponsorships.....as I am sure they would have soon realized the type of person they had repping their product. I am more than happy to admit fault.....unlike Cupcake. In no way does any of this make it ok for a spectator to physically impede the progress of someone racing. No idea the specifics on that issue. I have given this topic and Cupcake, too much of my time......he is digging for reasons to try and stay relevant. Ironic and sad.
The fact you keep calling Millward 'Cupcake' makes you come across very immature. Regardless of whether you have a point, your constant ridiculing shows you are more likely the problem than either of the parties involved.

Look at the OP picture. His freaking hat, has his name (Cupcake) on it.

He calls himself that....that is his nickname, I didn't come up with it....he did.

McCormick = Macca, Craig A = Crowie, Staykowicz = Starky, Callum = Cupcake.

Again...it was a BS move by Sutto's guy......I just find it ironic that Callum (since you think I shouldn't use his nickname) is butthurt about name calling.

Last edited by: Mike Alexander: Oct 15, 18 7:54

You very well know what I mean... you are not helping yourself here. Look at this topic and the end conclusion for anyone here is that a) something happened on the run between Millward and Watt but we don't know exactly what; and b) Mike Alexander seems to have some stick in the game and insists on childish arguments thereby making himself look like a dick.

Just saying, that is how you are making yourself come across here. Do with it what you want.

Mike Alexander wrote:
Benv wrote:

He calls himself that....that is his nickname, I didn't come up with it....he did.

McCormick = Macca, Craig A = Crowie, Staykowicz = Starky, Callum = Cupcake.

Look at the OP picture. His freaking hat, has his name (Cupcake) on it.

Bless the internet forums.

I confronted him about it, he repeated himself and then ended the conversation by blocking me. I had copied his posts and shared them with his sponsors and tagged him.

Wow. You're a douche.

Mike Alexander wrote:
Again...it was a BS move by Sutto's guy......I just find it ironic that Callum (since you think I shouldn't use his nickname) is butthurt about name calling.

again, is callum "butthurt" about name calling? or about several straight minutes of cam's harrassment, uttering threats, and ultimately impeding his progress and/or trying to hit him with his bike?

the choices you've made about characterizing the situation and callum himself are pretty telling here.

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]

Sanuk wrote:
I confronted him about it, he repeated himself and then ended the conversation by blocking me. I had copied his posts and shared them with his sponsors and tagged him.

Wow. You're a douche.

Thank you. Whatever you do, don't call Callum names, he can't handle it.

I am not the first and won't be the last to tell a sponsor that their athlete doesn't represent their product well, and I won't be buying anything else from them if they continue to support them. A sponsored professional athlete puts themselves out there as a public figure and needs to act like a professional.

Poor behavior costs athletes, its part of being a Pro athlete: Floyd Landis, Michael Vick, Adrian Peterson, Wayne Rooney, Tiger Woods, Kobe Bryant, Manny Pacquiao, Lance Armstrong all lost millions because of their behavior.

As I have said repeatedly, I should have let it die and not wasted my time sending information to his sponsors and just made my point with my wallet. I find it ironic that a name caller is butthurt about being called names.

Mike Alexander wrote:
I find it ironic that a name caller is butthurt about being called names.

just one more time.

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]

iron_mike wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:

again, is callum "butthurt" about name calling? or about several straight minutes of cam's harrassment, uttering threats, and ultimately impeding his progress and/or trying to hit him with his bike?

the choices you've made about characterizing the situation and callum himself are pretty telling here.

yes....he is butthurt about name calling AND having progress impeded. I get the impeding progress part....and don't condone that behavior or messing with an athlete trying to perform....but the name calling (which he specifically calls out) shouldn't have been part of his complaint as he does the same thing. It's ironic, that is my point.
Last edited by: Mike Alexander: Oct 15, 18 8:24

Do you know Mr. Willward personally? Why do you have such beef with him? It seems almost stalkerish.

Mike Alexander wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:

yes....he is butthurt about name calling AND having progress impeded. I get the impeding progress part....and don't condone that behavior or messing with an athlete trying to perform....but the name calling (which he specifically calls out) shouldn't have been part of his complaint as he does the same thing. It's ironic, that is my point.

So you want him to leave out the details of the entire encounter in the complaint ? Noted....

Big Sexy Racing 2018

Your trading of barbs with Millward is irrelevant to the situation. You have admitted as much...but when asked to provide evidence of said screenshots you supposedly took you failed to do so. BTW, no clue what a "flog" is. I know what flogging is, to flog someone etc. But I looked it up...a flog is someone unliked, so how would you even know considering most of us are perceived differently by different people. Is your friend fighting his own battle or are you defending his virtue?

-----

I was thinking about this whilst running and listening to a podcast this morning...I remember the thread about Ironman Boulder where the leaders were being following by a group of ten riders. I said it was dangerous. Well here we go, this situation proves my reasoning. There should be no cyclists on the course that aren't competitors.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.

Mike - let it die man

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [Sean H] [ In reply to ]

Sean H wrote:
Mike - let it die man

Good advice....I will do that.

PJC wrote:
Frankenbike wrote:
Frodeno walks it in last year and it's called respecting the race, Cal does the same and he is a disgrace?

I don't get it.

Okay I'll play.

Frodo walked it in for a 69th OVERALL

Callum walked it in for 148th OVERALL.

Frodo was going for the win.

Callum was just making up numbers.

Callum needs to earn respect.

Frodo already had it. He should have walked off the course.

Lots of pros DNF rather than walk it in, even former podium/champ pros). Slamming the guy for walking it in, which is tougher and more humiliating than just quitting, is a pretty shit move.

Are you affiliated with the guy who assaulted Millward by ANY chance?

PJC wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:
This is nothing more than a last ditch effort to be relevant. Good luck Cal. What was the term you used.....Flog?

Millward was a disgrace of a professional yesterday.

He was the last pro and over 1 hour behind the winner.

148th overall.

That is not a professional performance.

I think Cameron Watt was right in his comments. Crashing into him was going a bit far and poor form by watt if true

Asshole of the day award goes to PJC

yep and you too are now in my ā€˜hide postsā€™ list

Dude give it a rest. The hole is getting deeper and deeper.

Mike Alexander wrote:
Ellsworth53T wrote:
No, I'm saying that Mike Alexander should post the screenshots that he sent to Callum's sponsors.
If this is the back story, as he seems to be alluding to, and he has the pictures, he should post that here.

The reason he harassed Cupcake is not related to my interaction with him or what I posted here. I have no idea what that coach's beef is with Callum. I was calling out the irony of Cupcake being butthurt, when he has no issue dishing it out himself.

So post the screenshots.

You do have them don't you?

ETA: you said you had them multiple times...
Last edited by: davejustdave: Oct 15, 18 8:59

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [gregk] [ In reply to ]

gregk wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:
I don't get it... whatever happened to:

ā€œIt is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.ā€?

That's a great quote, which apparently no longer applies. Why try when you could just quit? Little adversity come your way? That's definitely a legitimate excuse to throw in the towel. More than that - you should retire completely.

I wasn't at Kona this year. I didn't witness the exchange that's the subject of this thread. But f--king A, there is an absolutely astounding amount of negativity and asshole behavior floating around here and other threads. What the hell is wrong with people?

Not only is it an absolutely awful example for kids and developing character, it's also an attitude that - if taken to heart - would have prevented some of the most impressive and exciting victories we've ever seen. There's a guy called Mark Allen who was just a *little* off the pace at the start of the marathon in Kona, and came back to one of the most iconic finishes ever. Heck, if Daniela Ryf had taken this advice to heart, she would've dropped out of Kona just a couple days ago. Anyone watch Derrick Lewis vs Alexander Volkov a week ago? Apparently they all should've just quit.

People are also making the excuse that pro athletes and coaches don't have to be role models. Of course. Nobody HAS to be one. But 99% of the people watching the race are not professionals or coaches - and for better or worse - they look to the pros and their coaches for inspiration and advice. Some of the most basic, rudimentary functions of doing triathlon as an amateur are to learn, improve, and apply that knowledge to the rest of your life. The single most important lesson is to keep trying when the chips are down... *everyone* will feel bad at some point during an IM. Finish the task, analyze, regroup, and come back with an improved strategy. If these hecklers and haters haven't even learned this pre-school level lesson, THEY should just quit the sport (and leave the forum).

Thanks Greg. Well said. I'm reminded also of Alex Zanardi, who refused to quit. Ironman has so many of these stories of athletes who did their best against all odds, with and without great results. The journey and one's character is the prize. Awards are just window dressing.

Mike Alexander wrote:
A sponsored professional athlete puts themselves out there as a public figure and needs to act like a professional.

So I assume you will pull support from all sponsors with relationships with Cameron Watt or any of his athletes? And perhaps all Brett Sutton related sponsors?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram ā€¢ Facebook

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [gregk] [ In reply to ]

gregk wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:
I don't get it... whatever happened to:

ā€œIt is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.ā€?

That's a great quote, which apparently no longer applies. Why try when you could just quit? Little adversity come your way? That's definitely a legitimate excuse to throw in the towel. More than that - you should retire completely.

I wasn't at Kona this year. I didn't witness the exchange that's the subject of this thread. But f--king A, there is an absolutely astounding amount of negativity and asshole behavior floating around here and other threads. What the hell is wrong with people?

Not only is it an absolutely awful example for kids and developing character, it's also an attitude that - if taken to heart - would have prevented some of the most impressive and exciting victories we've ever seen. There's a guy called Mark Allen who was just a *little* off the pace at the start of the marathon in Kona, and came back to one of the most iconic finishes ever. Heck, if Daniela Ryf had taken this advice to heart, she would've dropped out of Kona just a couple days ago. Anyone watch Derrick Lewis vs Alexander Volkov a week ago? Apparently they all should've just quit.

People are also making the excuse that pro athletes and coaches don't have to be role models. Of course. Nobody HAS to be one. But 99% of the people watching the race are not professionals or coaches - and for better or worse - they look to the pros and their coaches for inspiration and advice. Some of the most basic, rudimentary functions of doing triathlon as an amateur are to learn, improve, and apply that knowledge to the rest of your life. The single most important lesson is to keep trying when the chips are down... *everyone* will feel bad at some point during an IM. Finish the task, analyze, regroup, and come back with an improved strategy. If these hecklers and haters haven't even learned this pre-school level lesson, THEY should just quit the sport (and leave the forum).

What also gets to me is that anyone with a basic understanding of human nature will be able to recognize the self-deprecating and wacky persona Callum has created as indicator of personal vulnerability. The great Robin Williams talked extensively about the link between humour, sports and self-worth and my experience is that insecurity issues are pretty pervasive in the sport. Williams was someone who seemingly had everything and you might think would deserve to be on the wrong end of a joke but he took his own life because he couldn't find the acceptance he was looking for. I do not mean to imply that Callum suffers from any mental health difficulties but the idea that he deserved to be attacked while he was down because he has talked BS in the past is utterly unacceptable.

Even if I am totally wrong about Callum the idea that the coaches behaviour is acceptable is utter non-sense. I freely admit I was critical of the 50/50/50 athlete before her attempt because I honestly believed she wildly underestimated the effort and then refused all expert attempts to help her. However I did not nor would I ever have kicked her while she was down after the effort. It is possible to disagree with someone's attitude/persona and let performances speak for themselves, but that never needs to involve physical and verbal abuse.

Prev Next