Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]

dcrainmaker wrote:
gregk wrote:
..But f--king A, there is an absolutely astounding amount of negativity and asshole behavior floating around here and other threads. What the hell is wrong with people?

While the rest of the thread might be entertaining to read and bring in page views, it's ultimately what drives people away from ST forums from an actual posting standpoint.

Sure, there's plenty of useful tidbits on ST and I skim the forums daily, but I rarely post anymore for exactly this reason. It's just not worth it most of the time. The level of general hate/assholes/etc here just seems to climb by the month.

I get that the general concept is to let things take care of itself, but at some point it doesn't become any better than a bad Reddit thread. Hell, at least with Reddit a post/comment can get downvoted to oblivion, effectively making it disappear for most.

i just disagree with this. first, you are royalty here. i haven't seen a negative thing posted about you in, oh, years. secondly, 3 or 4 of what you and i would probably consider the worst offenders spent kona weekend off the forum and aren't back yet. i'll decide when they're back.

the alternative is... facebook groups? twitter?

brother, what drives people away is exactly what you said. and what draws people is the same thing: the freedom to express oneself without having always to worry about the sword of damocles hanging over every post. we'll host 2,000 or more posts today and the freedom from heavy-handed moderation at other forums is precisely how this forum got to the size it got.

there is no balance to find in the moderation here. there's no keeping everyone happy. there's just which half do you want to piss off today.

but on balance, it remains a happy place for most folks, except on the edges.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Oct 15, 18 17:35

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]

Slowman wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:
gregk wrote:
..But f--king A, there is an absolutely astounding amount of negativity and asshole behavior floating around here and other threads. What the hell is wrong with people?

While the rest of the thread might be entertaining to read and bring in page views, it's ultimately what drives people away from ST forums from an actual posting standpoint.

Sure, there's plenty of useful tidbits on ST and I skim the forums daily, but I rarely post anymore for exactly this reason. It's just not worth it most of the time. The level of general hate/assholes/etc here just seems to climb by the month.

I get that the general concept is to let things take care of itself, but at some point it doesn't become any better than a bad Reddit thread. Hell, at least with Reddit a post/comment can get downvoted to oblivion, effectively making it disappear for most.

i just disagree with this. first, you are royalty here. i haven't seen a negative thing posted about you in, oh, years. secondly, 3 or 4 of what you and i would probably consider the worst offenders spent kona weekend off the forum and aren't back yet. i'll decide when they're back.

brother, what drives people away is exactly what you said. and what draws people is the same thing: the freedom to express oneself without having always to worry about the sword of damocles hanging over every post. we'll host 2,000 or more posts today and the freedom from heavy-handed moderation at other forums is precisely how this forum got to the size it got.

there is no balance to find in the moderation here. there's no keeping everyone happy. there's just which half do you want to piss off today.

Yeah I think ST is pretty cool. Not much trolling and when there is people rarely take the bait and threads rarely get locked.

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]

Richard Blaine wrote:
PJC wrote:

I think Luke McKenzie was on the cusp of times for respectable pros. And he came 28th I think. 40 minutes behind? Guessing.

So anybody finishing 29th or lower in a division 50-something deep is not respectable? Got it.

Math fail much?

I have a feeling this PJC guy is totally just trolling around. Not a single thing he's (she's) said has possessed a grain of logic.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [zedzded] [ In reply to ]

zedzded wrote:
Slowman wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:
gregk wrote:

Yeah I think ST is pretty cool. Not much trolling and when there is people rarely take the bait and threads rarely get locked.

either way, i've made my money or i've made my peace with it, or i've made my bed and i'm laying in it. slowtwitch is what it is and i guess mostly it's just society (or an avatar of it). it's a bunch of people forced to get along and it's reasonably good training for the climate we're in. if tom anhalt and i can get into a knock down drag out over disc v rim brakes, and then go riding on the weekends, that prepares us for worse arguments we're having with family and neighbors these days.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

From my perspective you’re totally wrong. The only people that are worried about what the post are the trash you protect. No one comes here for anonymous posting? Do they? That’s the draw? Really?

I come hear for guys like DC, Jim, Cody, MTM etc...who have valuable insight to share in a positive way.

Guys like the original poster are why the majority of people I know, no longer come on slowtwitch. They are an older crowd with families who really don’t have time for the shitty people.

Dan, you really got this one wrong I think but you’ve been doing this longer than anyone so I guess I defer to your expertise. That said, I believe DC is right.

Slowman wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:
gregk wrote:

Last edited by: EnderWiggan: Oct 15, 18 17:41

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]

EnderWiggan wrote:

Guys like the original poster are why the majority of people I know, no longer come on slowtwitch. They are an older crowd with families who really don’t have time for the shitty people.

Well I'm the original poster, I wouldn't regard myself as a shitty person, I generally post relevant triathlon stuff, rarely gossipy trash, but if you (and others) feel creating threads like this have a detrimental effect on the credibility and quality of ST threads then I'll just stick to triathlon stuff.

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]

RowToTri wrote:
Hanja wrote:
Lets not forget Callum Millward is forever making "stretched truth" accusations on social media and then deleting them when the real truth comes out. Accusing all his rivals of cheating at Noosa last year based on 1 photo comes to mind. That photo ended up being from inside the green zone (drafting allowed, but no passing allowed) coming into transition.

I predict the other side of the story will come out and his accusation post will be deleted just like all his others ðŸ˜

Nice first post.

Last edited by: Kula: Oct 15, 18 17:54

EnderWiggan wrote:
From my perspective you’re totally wrong. The only people that are worried about what the post are the trash you protect. No one comes here for anonymous posting? Do they? That’s the draw? Really?

I come hear for guys like DC, Jim, Cody, MTM etc...who have valuable insight to share in a positive way.

Dan, you really got this one wrong I think but you’ve been doing this longer than anyone so I guess I defer to your expertise.

Slowman wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:
gregk wrote:

i think you have it wrong. you have it entirely backwards. you post new stuff on the BOTTOM, not on the TOP!

however, to your primary theme, i have no idea whether i'm right. maybe you're right. but, do you think the moderation here is different now than 5 years ago? or 10? because, i don't, and i'm an expert witness.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]

davejustdave wrote:
or maybe one of those bowls of gummy dicks for him to eat.

Wait... there's gummy dicks?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]

TheStroBro wrote:
So a lot of pros have bots on the instagrams...why do I know this? Because Angela Naeth definitely does because I'm a nobody and I'll get likes from her and a comment here and there...when I've said thanks in return there's no response. There are a few others but that's burned in my mind.
Damn. I got so excited when she replied to one of my inst posts. Even showed my wife and giggled like a school girl. You crushed me dude. Crushed !

zedzded wrote:
Slowman wrote:
dcrainmaker wrote:
gregk wrote:

There’s an admitted troll thread up right now.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]

Wait... there's gummy dicks?

Mmmm, this thread has suddenly become one of interest.

zedzded wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:

Well I'm the original poster, I wouldn't regard myself as a shitty person, I generally post relevant triathlon stuff, rarely gossipy trash, but if you (and others) feel creating threads like this have a detrimental effect on the credibility and quality of ST threads then I'll just stick to triathlon stuff.

pretty sure he meant the originally battiness, not actually the original poster as in you

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]

Mike Alexander wrote:
Rocky M wrote:
Not sure how they are going to prove anything. If it was on the QK it's basically a he-said this & I heard this...not that I stand to doubt Cal's account of it, he's a nice enough guy, I know him & swam with him many times (ok, lane next to him)...but still, in order to have anything done there has to be proof. Either a second hand account/eye witness or something.

Congratulations on swimming one lane over from a guy who finished 148th in Kona...who has name called fellow Pros on social media. So let's say there was proof....concrete video evidence. What is the penalty for a spectator name calling?? Who gives a crap about this? Can you not see its Cam's last ditch effort to do anything to stay relevant?

Damn, what rodent crawled up your a&& this morning. Seriously, don't understand people like you.

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022

I’ve also always assume—perhaps incorrectly—that Dan has intentionally allowed some postings/posters to survive to allow the forum to do some of its own NHL-style policing by calling out each other as forum members see the need.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Oct 15, 18 18:34

EnderWiggan wrote:

Dan, you really got this one wrong I think but you’ve been doing this longer than anyone so I guess I defer to your expertise. That said, I believe DC is right.

I'm more in Dan's camp. If it weren't for these threads, it would be endless posts of...
- Which tires should I use?
- How can I get faster at swimming without really swimming?
- Please diagnose this...
- Which tires should i use?
- How can I get faster at swimming without really swimming?
- Why do we even have pros?
- What goggles should I use?

I find myself sifting through the threads to see what might have some interest or something that I might be able to contribute to...as opposed to finding the daily outrage is an YELLING!!

Triathletes are pretty much dorks and would ask a lot of the same questions even if the answers were there and someone will happily answer whether or not the one that answers knows shit from clay. I get that a lot of the places that newbies went to get info (some clubs) have disappeared, so this is as good a place as any to ask away, and you're sure to get an answer.

It's just difficult at times to sift through the BS to get to the good stuff.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]

Richard Blaine wrote:
PJC wrote:
I think Luke McKenzie was on the cusp of times for respectable pros. And he came 28th I think. 40 minutes behind? Guessing.

So anybody finishing 29th or lower in a division 50-something deep is not respectable? Got it.

Math fail much?

Look my point is, it’s the world championships. Every pro that starts should be trying to win. Worst case top 10.

Callum, Luke McKenzie etc... were just making up the numbers.

McKenzie for example should have saved himself, and raced to win IMAZ in the next few weeks which he is entirely capable of.

Callum isn’t capable of winning a major Ironman. Sure, one of the 140 ironman 70.3 events, but not a real Ironman.

Callum is an elite triathlete. Not a professional triathlete.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [PJC] [ In reply to ]

PJC wrote:
Richard Blaine wrote:
PJC wrote:

Math fail much?

Look my point is, it’s the world championships. Every pro that starts should be trying to win. Worst case top 10.

McKenzie for example should have saved himself, and raced to win IMAZ in the next few weeks which he is entirely capable of.

Callum isn’t capable of winning a major Ironman. Sure, one of the 140 ironman 70.3 events, but not a real Ironman.

are you out here, PJC? because, i know who you are, but if others don't then i don't want to blow your anonymity. just, you and i have known each other a long time, you know my background and i know yours. (if folks here knew who you were they would know you're not just an internet troll or, if you are, you're a troll with some pretty good background and history in triathlon).

we're both well aware of what is elite and what is pro and what is not. i just come down in a different place than you do on this. only 50ish men in the world qualify for kona. it's hard. if you qualify, then you should go if you want to go. if that's your ambition. if 50th shouldn't be here, then standing down so that 51st can come isn't an improvement. by definition you're better than he is, or he'd have been 50th.

cam had a really good last couple of years. he absolutely deserves to be here. and, i don't know any of the particulars of the incident but ironman is hard enough without getting hazed or stalked when you've bonked and you're into the shuffle.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]

iamuwere wrote:
zedzded wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:

pretty sure he meant the originally battiness, not actually the original poster as in you

Gotcha :)

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [boilerup] [ In reply to ]

boilerup wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:
Rocky M wrote:
Not sure how they are going to prove anything. If it was on the QK it's basically a he-said this & I heard this...not that I stand to doubt Cal's account of it, he's a nice enough guy, I know him & swam with him many times (ok, lane next to him)...but still, in order to have anything done there has to be proof. Either a second hand account/eye witness or something.

Congratulations on swimming one lane over from a guy who finished 148th in Kona...who has name called fellow Pros on social media. So let's say there was proof....concrete video evidence. What is the penalty for a spectator name calling?? Who gives a crap about this? Can you not see its Cam's last ditch effort to do anything to stay relevant?

Damn, what rodent crawled up your a&& this morning. Seriously, don't understand people like you.

Mike Alexander sure proved his colors on this thread. Douchebag award for sure. I was going to reply early (I often don't revisit threads but...this was growing huge so had to ;-) My post above was to attest that I've interacted at least 2x each week at the pool for an entire summer for a couple years ago & got to know Callum. He was not bitter, or mean or name calling to anyone or raised an eyebrow that he was an angry person. He was the opposite in fact. Willing to stop, share information, didn't cuss and discussed whatever questions I personally had, as he is very much a TOP level pro. Stronger in the 70.3 I think (which doesn't matter in this thread), but still, if you KQ as a pro, you're a legit pro, no matter what Mike A. wants to think (like he would know what it takes anyhow...) But in the end, my post basically was...yeah, Callum has proven to me over time, that he is a qualified AND relevant athlete, BUT--unless he had proof of his accusations, best he not put that out there. However, since a poster noted Siri witnessed it, I'm good with that. I know Siri as well, she wouldn't make that up if it happened.

Totally agree with "boilerup"--this Mike guy...reminds me of the old Pubes persona on this forum. Something crawled up his behind...

I was handy on a bike. But as you know the ex was better than me. Not out here. But would prefer to not be as my comments could affect my ex.

Slowman wrote:
PJC wrote:
Richard Blaine wrote:
PJC wrote:

Math fail much?

are you out here, PJC? because, i know who you are, but if others don't then i don't want to blow your anonymity. just, you and i have known each other a long time, you know my background and i know yours. (if folks here knew who you were they would know you're not just an internet troll or, if you are, you're a troll with some pretty good background and history in triathlon).

we're both well aware of what is elite and what is pro and what is not. i just come down in a different place than you do on this. only 50ish men in the world qualify for kona. it's hard. if you qualify, then you should go if you want to go. if that's your ambition. if 50th shouldn't be here, then standing down so that 51st can come isn't an improvement. by definition you're better than he is, or he'd have been 50th.

cam had a really good last couple of years. he absolutely deserves to be here. and, i don't know any of the particulars of the incident but ironman is hard enough without getting hazed or stalked when you've bonked and you're into the shuffle.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]

Mike Alexander wrote:
Sean H wrote:
Mike - let it die man

Good advice....I will do that.

Get off Social Media if you can't handle it
It's not real life.

If you confuse cyberspace with real life actions, you are in for a rough wake-up call down the road (such as physical assault charges).

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]

So a lot of pros have bots on the instagrams...why do I know this? Because Angela Naeth definitely does because I'm a nobody and I'll get likes from her and a comment here and there...when I've said thanks in return there's no response.

Oops, I've been doing social media all wrong too.

If I read a post and like it, and the writer responds with a thanks, I always assumed the "conversation" was over. I didn't really think that I should say thank you to a thank you. Maybe she's just doing what I do?

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]

No, I'm talking about her liking photos of mine from a year ago and leaving an emoji...not me commenting on hers.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]

She definitely has a bot. I noticed tons of one word comments on people’s posts. Same stuff over and over again. Had to unfollow her.

Prev Next