Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]

Mike Alexander wrote:
I have personally witnessed Cupcake calling out another Pro on social media. Derogatory statements towards another pro. I called him out on this, and sent screen shots to his sponsors.
Post the screen shots here, it will provide context.

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [Ellsworth53T] [ In reply to ]

Ellsworth53T wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:
I have personally witnessed Cupcake calling out another Pro on social media. Derogatory statements towards another pro. I called him out on this, and sent screen shots to his sponsors.
Post the screen shots here, it will provide context.

The original poster uploaded them

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [PJC] [ In reply to ]

I don't get it... whatever happened to:

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”?

So you're good at PowerPoint?

PJC wrote:

I'm not a professional. But you can sure bet when I am doing a pitch at work I put everything into it. Especially if it's the biggest one of the year.

What's your CdA?

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]

Andrew Coggan wrote:

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”?

I think the internet happened to old man Roosevelt. That's not to say that a fair number of posters here should have a good read-up on said speech..

You sent screenshots to his sponsor of him calling out someone who harassed him during the race but yet you’re calling him the tool? “Hi pot, meet kettle”
Get over yourself guy.

PJC wrote:
My point is there were other pros that missed out that could and wanted it more than Callum.

Yet he went and was overweight as per what Watt said, and clearly gave up.

Once 50 plus age groupers beat you, do you really deserve your pro card?

To be honest starky was the same. He broke the course record and then comes out and says Saturday wasn’t his day.

Anyway it’s a moot point.

Next year will be worse. The first and you are off to Kona is dumb.

Not just replying to you, but: I don't see the link between harassing Callum's performance, and somehow throwing this in the mix to justify some totally unacceptable behavior.

There is obviously a back-story here, but even so this is totally out of line.. If you think Callum had it coming because of previous social-media behaviour? Fine (I know nothing about this, but anyway), so he had it coming, but this still doesn't justify what Mr Watt allegedly did. If anything, if this is the case, it just proves that Mr Watt is at least the same level of douche-bag that you are claiming Callum is. I agree some governing body should tell Watt to keep this shit of the course and deal with it somewhere else.

The way you and some others here argue, this is fine because it happened to someone finishing way down. How so? How is this any worse if done to the 23rd finisher instead of the 148th? Your arguments that Callum should hand in his card is, in this context as meaningfull as arguing Mr. Trump should resign as president because his golf-handicap sucks.

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]

ffmedic84 wrote:
You sent screenshots to his sponsor of him calling out someone who harassed him during the race but yet you’re calling him the tool? “Hi pot, meet kettle”
Get over yourself guy.

No....there are couple of points being made here by different people.

1) He is undeserving of his pro card, because of his performance. I am not part of that conversation.

2) You nailed it, he is the pot calling the kettle black. Callum posted that he was upset because someone called him names during the race (see screen shots of his insta, by OP). Callum is not innocent of name calling. He has done it his peers on Social Media. I confronted him about it, he repeated himself and then ended the conversation by blocking me. I had copied his posts and shared them with his sponsors and tagged him. Probably should have taken the higher road, but I didn't. Now, Cupcake is whining about someone calling him names. I find that ironic. He sounds like a little child. Lastly, I am not condoning the name calling by the spectator, that's a BS thing to do. However, it comes with the territory. He put himself out there in public as a Professional and spectator reaction will happen.....just as it does in other sports. If he gets butthurt by it, he probably shouldn't do it himself.

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [Frankenbike] [ In reply to ]

Frankenbike wrote:
Does your profession have a world championship that you can validate that claim against?

It's always a pretty silly comparison of pro athletics and money versus professionals working in offices/factories/etc.....but since we're there.....it sounds more fun that the current discussion in here.

If we're going by money, I'd guess only the top pros in endurance sports make close to the money of doctors, lawyers, engineers........etc......

There's plenty of UCI World Tour riders on the league minimum of what, around $36k euro? That's not exactly even middling money for lots of professional jobs, its paltry.

I say that to mean, give people a bit of a break. I wouldn't want to get harassed at my job any more than this guy wants to get harassed at his job.

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]

trailerhouse wrote:
So you're good at PowerPoint?

PJC wrote:

I'm not a professional. But you can sure bet when I am doing a pitch at work I put everything into it. Especially if it's the biggest one of the year.

Another sport where good transitions are key.

Social media pissing matches aside, it's flat out bullshit to do this during a race, specifically the physically impeding of an athlete (supposedly there were witnesses, hopefully they come forward). If Cam was that pissed at whatever the backstory is, he should have confronted Callum 1x1 outside of a race. It's cowardice to do it this way. And yes, you'd probably say it's cowardice for Callum to confront this other pro on social media, and I'd tend to agree with that too.

And I also can't keep reminding myself that it is Cam who associates himself with an unrepentant sexual predator who is not even allowed to coach in his home country.

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]

verbal threats and physical violence are never OK

mbwallis wrote:
Social media pissing matches aside, it's flat out bullshit to do this during a race, specifically the physically impeding of an athlete (supposedly there were witnesses, hopefully they come forward). If Cam was that pissed at whatever the backstory is, he should have confronted Callum 1x1 outside of a race. It's cowardice to do it this way. And yes, you'd probably say it's cowardice for Callum to confront this other pro on social media, and I'd tend to agree with that too.

And I also can't keep reminding myself that it is Cam who associates himself with an unrepentant sexual predator who is not even allowed to coach in his home country.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]

mbwallis wrote:

Yeah I thought the Aussies were famous for their tough-guy personas, you know.. settle it with fisticuffs, mate. Nothing says man-to-man confrontation like bullying a tired runner from the comfort of a vehicle. Big. Tough. Guy.

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [ripple] [ In reply to ]

Sending screenshots & tattling to sponsors sounds like my 6 year olds behavior.

Ok so you are in the top 25% in the world in your field???

He can credibly (I realize not literally) claim he is 148 best in the entire world in his field. If they assembled the top people in your field in a room
could you still Credibly claim to be in the top 25%.

I have a friend who is a pro golfer; former top ten in the world but his ranking has dropped to closer to 200. In the world. That means he is still arguably better than every single golfer on the planet except 200 people. I’m very good at my job but the argument or even The thought that I am remotely close to his level at my job is a joke. Have some perspective.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Oct 15, 18 6:53

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [ripple] [ In reply to ]

[/quote]
Yeah I thought the Aussies were famous for their tough-guy personas, you know.. settle it with fisticuffs, mate. Nothing says man-to-man confrontation like bullying a tired runner from the comfort of a vehicle. Big. Tough. Guy.[/quote]
Agreed. But the same goes for Millward. Why doesn't he just go find him the day after the race and have it out instead of posting it all over social media. Seems like social media is what started it in the first place. In the good old days the first anyone would have heard of any of this is they turn up to the awards banquet with a black eye.

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [Tubs] [ In reply to ]

Tubs wrote:
Agreed. But the same goes for Millward. Why doesn't he just go find him the day after the race and have it out instead of posting it all over social media. Seems like social media is what started it in the first place. In the good old days the first anyone would have heard of any of this is they turn up to the awards banquet with a black eye.

Oh yeah you're totally right.. social media call-out is almost as pussy as it gets. Almost. Like almost as pussy as intimidating a vulnerable runner while driving your vehicle.
Last edited by: ripple: Oct 15, 18 7:11

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]

DFW_Tri wrote:
Ok so you are in the top 25% in the world in your field???

He can credibly (I realize not literally) claim he is 148 best in the entire world in his field. If they assembled the top people in your field in a room
could you still Credibly claim to be in the top 25%.

I have a friend who is a pro golfer; former top ten in the world but his ranking has dropped to closer to 200. In the world. That means he is still arguably better than every single golfer on the planet except 200 people. I’m very good at my job but the argument or even The thought that I am remotely close to his level at my job is a joke. Have some perspective.

Uhm, there's lies, damned lies, and then there's statistics.

It's all about how you pick your field.

You can make it look better or worse for any line of work.

As for working professionals, your comment appears to greatly limit the field to a very specific task or role. Not to mention, there isn't an equivalent and concise competition.

If you want to make it one I could say I work for one of the top 100 companies to work for (fact, by rankings). So, if you eliminate everyone else, even for only similar roles or degrees........you've cut a lot. Maybe already at a % ranking higher than the golf or endurance sports stars. Simply by choosing the right field for the calculation.

I feel like we give the work ethic of top athletes a lot more praise and "rank" than we do for professional work with significantly higher numbers of participants.

Yeah, they're tops, but that isn't to imply that there's a lot of other people out there also in the same %-er level in their fields.

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]

I was responding to the ridiculous argument of the other poster

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [Tubs] [ In reply to ]

Tubs wrote:

Yeah I thought the Aussies were famous for their tough-guy personas, you know.. settle it with fisticuffs, mate. Nothing says man-to-man confrontation like bullying a tired runner from the comfort of a vehicle. Big. Tough. Guy.[/quote]

Agreed. But the same goes for Millward. Why doesn't he just go find him the day after the race and have it out instead of posting it all over social media. Seems like social media is what started it in the first place. In the good old days the first anyone would have heard of any of this is they turn up to the awards banquet with a black eye.[/quote]

So, the guy who just got done with a death march of an IM at Kona, should go track down the guy who harrassed and assaulted him on a bike, and try to kick his ass?

Yeah, that'd be a fair fight under those conditions.
And then the d-bag "coach" would likely come out as being the wronged party here.
Brilliant!

Does this forum have an Ignore User function?
Because there are at least 2 posters in this thread that I need to eliminate from my life.

float , hammer , and jog

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]

turningscrews wrote:
Sending screenshots & tattling to sponsors sounds like my 6 year olds behavior.

I gave him multiple opportunities to address it. He refused to do so and actually backed up his name calling behavior. Again, I should have let it go and let karma deal with him and his sponsorships.....as I am sure they would have soon realized the type of person they had repping their product. I am more than happy to admit fault.....unlike Cupcake. In no way does any of this make it ok for a spectator to physically impede the progress of someone racing. No idea the specifics on that issue. I have given this topic and Cupcake, too much of my time......he is digging for reasons to try and stay relevant. Ironic and sad.

No, I'm saying that Mike Alexander should post the screenshots that he sent to Callum's sponsors.
If this is the back story, as he seems to be alluding to, and he has the pictures, he should post that here.

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]

Can someone elaborate what social media beef there was between Callum and Cam? Thanks.

Big Sexy Racing 2018

PJC wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:
This is nothing more than a last ditch effort to be relevant. Good luck Cal. What was the term you used.....Flog?

Millward was a disgrace of a professional yesterday.

He was the last pro and over 1 hour behind the winner.

148th overall.

That is not a professional performance.

I think Cameron Watt was right in his comments. Crashing into him was going a bit far and poor form by watt if true

Wait, because Callum did not go fast enough, that is justification for a "coach" to abuse him on the course? Disgusting.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook

Re: Callum Millward (Get the Popcorn) [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]

Andrew Coggan wrote:

That's a great quote, which apparently no longer applies. Why try when you could just quit? Little adversity come your way? That's definitely a legitimate excuse to throw in the towel. More than that - you should retire completely.

I wasn't at Kona this year. I didn't witness the exchange that's the subject of this thread. But f--king A, there is an absolutely astounding amount of negativity and asshole behavior floating around here and other threads. What the hell is wrong with people?

Not only is it an absolutely awful example for kids and developing character, it's also an attitude that - if taken to heart - would have prevented some of the most impressive and exciting victories we've ever seen. There's a guy called Mark Allen who was just a *little* off the pace at the start of the marathon in Kona, and came back to one of the most iconic finishes ever. Heck, if Daniela Ryf had taken this advice to heart, she would've dropped out of Kona just a couple days ago. Anyone watch Derrick Lewis vs Alexander Volkov a week ago? Apparently they all should've just quit.

People are also making the excuse that pro athletes and coaches don't have to be role models. Of course. Nobody HAS to be one. But 99% of the people watching the race are not professionals or coaches - and for better or worse - they look to the pros and their coaches for inspiration and advice. Some of the most basic, rudimentary functions of doing triathlon as an amateur are to learn, improve, and apply that knowledge to the rest of your life. The single most important lesson is to keep trying when the chips are down... *everyone* will feel bad at some point during an IM. Finish the task, analyze, regroup, and come back with an improved strategy. If these hecklers and haters haven't even learned this pre-school level lesson, THEY should just quit the sport (and leave the forum).

Prev Next