Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Calling Vail Residents [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed

And, you know, Slowtwtich is a media outfit and it could use 6'3 of German influence to ask MS to go on record with a comment.

Bob
Quote Reply
Re: Calling EVERYONE To Action! [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Petition signed, glad to help.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
signed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
signed.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Vail Residents [techknowgn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Now for the "more or less." Well he's already done "less" for society by running over a physician with his car, and rendering aid to his Mercedes' mirror instead of the man. Nice. While community service and financial restitution looks nice, I think the greater service to society would be establishing a precedent for FULL PROSECUTION UNDER THE LAW for hit and run, since, despite the written word, DAs can apparently let the charges fall at their whim. Let him fry.

But you're living in a non-realistic world where people get full punishment, there's plenty of money for the prisons, and plenty of room for him to be dealt with. Assuming he "fries" he'd still spend years in prison before that. And if in this one case he did pay the full price it certainly wouldnt be death, because a jury wont convict for that because the victim is living.

I dont see the word felony making a difference to anyone other than the defendants life, and frankly we need to be more concerned about getting it into peoples heads not to be distracted drivers.

But this is not simply a case of being a distracted driver. If there was no intent to hit a cyclist, then fine, I am sure there is a Motor Vehicle Act (or whatever they call it down there) offence for driving without due care and attention / distracted driving. The Felony is for fleeing the scene of a crash. Hit and RUN. He RAN. I believe it was you who said in an earlier post that he was simply "looking out for number one". That is where the offence is. Yes, we need to get people to stop distracted driving. Miore importantly, WE NEED PEOPLE TO CARE ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE.

Another topic for the LR: How the entire financial collapse happened because people like this care more about material things than they do about real people.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Starting from scratch...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Signed.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Calling EVERYONE To Action! [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Signed
Quote Reply
Re: Calling EVERYONE To Action! [alexZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Signed.

That story is appalling - the rationale for not charging the guy with a felony, well, that disgusts me, quite frankly.

--------------------

http://thethighmasterroutetokona.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Calling EVERYONE To Action! [Gazelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
signed.
glad you are doing better mr.rappstar...keep at it
Quote Reply
Re: Calling EVERYONE To Action! [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Law is perception. Especially in a free country where the citizens are voters and should have the right to their own concerns. If public opinion deems something to be wrong, morally or ethically, it is. If we believe something to be a threat to our rights to continue doing what we are doing (as a majority) then action should be taken against it. If only this worked on a larger political scale regularily. Unfortunately there is a disconnect.

NCCP certified Comp coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The sad thing is that this guy has loads of money, probably thinks his shi#$ doesn't stink, and that's why he left the doctor to die in the first place. This dumb sh#$ needs to go to prison and get it in the behind so that he can understand what it means to be left for dead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this morning the story (rather a link to it) made the front page of one of the most popular sports blogs on the web...

http://thebiglead.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Vail Residents [Bell Head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And what will he do if they sue him for mega $$$ and win? File bankruptcy of course. And the prosecutors and judges in our legal system never have to answer for their failures or laziness. They are free to make plea bargains or drop cases as they please. If a conviction is not on a silver platter you can forget about getting any real charges filed against anyone. Criminals have figured this out. A uber liberal judicial system is why the crime rate is what it is today.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Vail Residents [skinny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More importantly, WE NEED PEOPLE TO CARE ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE.

Another topic for the LR: How the entire financial collapse happened because people like this care more about material things than they do about real people.

There is so much going on here - BIG PICTURE STUFF, with incidents like this. People want to focus on individual items, charges, laws, details etc . . but you have summed it up nicely.

It's shocking to me that intelligent people can't seem to grasp the idea that a momentary, 1 second or less distraction behind the wheel of a car, can seriously injure and kill others and even injure and take the drivers own life as well.

That's why I am all for these bans on cell phone use. Yes, it does not stop the many other distractions when driving a car, but it indirectly gets home message as I stated previously that when you are driving the car you have one job - focus on driving the car!!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Calling EVERYONE To Action! [dwc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it made the blog but unfortunately the comments are almost wholly dominated by football and what related comments there are on the cyclist case are unfortunately of the usual heartless 'they're in my way, run 'em all down' variety.

James Huang
Technical Editor
Cyclingnews.com
BikeRadar.com

---------------------
James Huang
Technical Editor
Cyclingnews.com
BikeRadar.com
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Vail Residents [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is what needs to happen.....but, that is never going to happen (ban on cell phone)! While riding your bike on any public lane,road,street, etc... we should ride like we are completly invisible to other people. It may not prevent all "accidents", but it will reduce them.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Vail Residents [JimmyDeuce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but, that is never going to happen

It would, if the police, the judicial system and the courts started to take this more seriously. But the rough trend is to wrist-slap and let the person back out on the roads. It seems the last resort that they ever want to do is charge someone criminally, or ban them from driving for an extended period of time.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Vail Residents [JimmyDeuce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cell phone use while driving is banned here but it is rarely enforced. Though just last week they did ticket Barry Bonds for it here in NorCal.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Calling EVERYONE To Action! [angryasian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, there is unfortunately an abundance of jerkoffs who don't mind if a doctor is unable to attend to his patients now because he went out for bike ride, but at least the story is reaching places far & wide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eh? There's one inflammatory comment on the biglead page, but the comments on the linked article are surprisingly critical of the case and supportive of Dr. Milo. This is by far not the worst response I have seen to situations involving driver/cyclist problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish I could find the article I'm looking for. I remember reading it in the Denver Post.

Anyway, IIRC, part of how the authorities found Mr. Erzinger is because he solicited local BMW shops to get him a mirror without associating it with his car's VIN and without asking any questions. You internet ninjas can find it and confirm or deny this recollection of mine, I am sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling EVERYONE To Action! [justinl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

Just an update: traffic and visibility on this case continues to grow but now it's spreading closer to Erzinger's sphere of influence:

http://www.businessinsider.com/...un-in-denver-2010-11

---------------------
James Huang
Technical Editor
Cyclingnews.com
BikeRadar.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And on TreeHugger.com this morning: http://www.treehugger.com/...manager-gets-off.php
Quote Reply
Re: Calling EVERYONE To Action! [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's another story on a blog which is pretty widely read in the financial world.

http://dealbreaker.com/...ny-charges/#comments

"I learned from the example of my father that the manner in which one endures what must be endured is more important than the thing that must be endured"

http://myfirstironman.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Vail Residents [Deak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 A criminal suit often helps with a civil judgment.
Quote Reply

Prev Next