Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Calling EVERYONE To Action! [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Signed the petition. I'm actually going to get back on FB to post this. It makes my blood boil.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling EVERYONE To Action! [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just post on his OPEN senate site...

http://www.facebook.com/...php?gid=299101016256

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Calling EVERYONE To Action! [R10C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also had to click the "Join" button. I gather that is different from "Liking" him...I don't want to Like him.

================================
blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Calling EVERYONE To Action! [Bell Head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, just join - as you can see (from mine) there are some pretty colorful comments out there - only a matter of time before that page is gone.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't get the link to open , so I can't tell if it's a different campaign site than what I read earlier but given that the elections were last week isn't this site likely unread by anyone at this point? That is unless it was a special election to be had at a later time. Also, I readthat he ouldmt get on the ballot bc his party affiliations were too weak and his views inconsistent. He's a complete joke.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Vail Residents [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Trust me, we may be small beans, but even a small bean makes ripples. I'm working to make sure that people who are NOT small beans is aware. I have a contact who works in PWM for MorganStanley. I'm getting the bosses contact info. And I'm pursuing other channels. Beyond that, though, this has gotten a LOT more attention than just what's going on here. I think we'll see some action...

Contacting his employer about a criminal matter which I am sure they are already quite aware of could be considered harassment. Be careful.

-------------------------------------
You don't have to like what I say but you should respect my right to say them and I'll do the same to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Last edited by: Rappstar: Nov 8, 10 10:14
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Vail Residents [techknowgn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking the same thing. Pursuing Mr. Erzinger is a matter for the judicial system. We should do what we can to make sure that system works. Shining the light on Mr. Hurlbert should be the primary task. He's a public official and open to criticism.

Mr. Erzinger, who at this point is presumed innocent, has the resources to fight back. Contacting his employer might trigger a letter from his lawyers, who are probably quite good.

================================
blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Vail Residents [Bell Head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I was thinking the same thing. Pursuing Mr. Erzinger is a matter for the judicial system. We should do what we can to make sure that system works. Shining the light on Mr. Hurlbert should be the primary task. He's a public official and open to criticism.

Mr. Erzinger, who at this point is presumed innocent, has the resources to fight back. Contacting his employer might trigger a letter from his lawyers, who are probably quite good.

Also as far as Im aware, we have 1 news story to base this on, no court documents, no case history. Speculating, it seems obvious to me he was texting and that he was guilty of distracted driving. I believe he should be punished, but does making him a ward of the prison system do more or less for society?

letting him continue to work, pay for all of this, and put money and his time via community service into share the road and destracted driving.

Felony convictions have a great many issues with them. assuming he learns from this a felony would mean he couldnt even vote for people who would work on sharing the road projects.

You don't have to like what I say but you should respect my right to say them and I'll do the same to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Also as far as Im aware, we have 1 news story to base this on, no court documents, no case history. Speculating, it seems obvious to me he was texting and that he was guilty of distracted driving. I believe he should be punished, but does making him a ward of the prison system do more or less for society?

letting him continue to work, pay for all of this, and put money and his time via community service into share the road and destracted driving.

Felony convictions have a great many issues with them. assuming he learns from this a felony would mean he couldnt even vote for people who would work on sharing the road projects.

Not sure 1) what you read that makes you think he was texting.
2) why you and several others keep bringing up Prison. Its not even on the table.
3) why if he committed a felony he should not be charged with the felony, (yes even it means he can't vote, If that's the law that's the law)

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Odd thought process there. So what if he can't vote. Why would he vote preferentially for anyone with good public transit goals over someone else. Since when has that been a key in anyone's platform? You're way out in left field. I see no causal relationship between reduction of charges to misdemeanor, and voting for improved road projects.

Now for the "more or less." Well he's already done "less" for society by running over a physician with his car, and rendering aid to his Mercedes' mirror instead of the man. Nice. While community service and financial restitution looks nice, I think the greater service to society would be establishing a precedent for FULL PROSECUTION UNDER THE LAW for hit and run, since, despite the written word, DAs can apparently let the charges fall at their whim. Let him fry.
Last edited by: jdw: Nov 7, 10 9:10
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Vail Residents [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.teammorganstanley.com/

Morgan Stanley sponsors a cycling team.

Everyone can also send Jordan's email and links to your local team or group lists asking people to take action.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Vail Residents [jdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Now for the "more or less." Well he's already done "less" for society by running over a physician with his car, and rendering aid to his Mercedes' mirror instead of the man. Nice. While community service and financial restitution looks nice, I think the greater service to society would be establishing a precedent for FULL PROSECUTION UNDER THE LAW for hit and run, since, despite the written word, DAs can apparently let the charges fall at their whim. Let him fry.

But you're living in a non-realistic world where people get full punishment, there's plenty of money for the prisons, and plenty of room for him to be dealt with. Assuming he "fries" he'd still spend years in prison before that. And if in this one case he did pay the full price it certainly wouldnt be death, because a jury wont convict for that because the victim is living.

I dont see the word felony making a difference to anyone other than the defendants life, and frankly we need to be more concerned about getting it into peoples heads not to be distracted drivers.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

But you're living in a non-realistic world where people get full punishment, there's plenty of money for the prisons, and plenty of room for him to be dealt with. Assuming he "fries" he'd still spend years in prison before that. And if in this one case he did pay the full price it certainly wouldnt be death, because a jury wont convict for that because the victim is living.

I dont see the word felony making a difference to anyone other than the defendants life, and frankly we need to be more concerned about getting it into peoples heads not to be distracted drivers.

Non-realistic? As the other poster said, it's not clear if prison is even on the table. I'm not going to debate the alocation of our financial resources, and whether or not they're available or well spent on punishing this man. I think that's tangential to the real matter at hand: there is absolutely no reason to remove felony charges for this crime that is clearly defined as such. Reducing these charges to misdemeanor is what's non-realistic. It DOES matter to more people than the victim. In principal, it matters to everyone - at least, it should. Should all convictions be private? Do you object to such things as sex offender registries? Is the justice system merely a farce? This is what's at stake. We should not be encouraging a country where we view the destruction of another human being as something that can be reduced to a misdemeanor; that employers will not see; that will not affect this man who can otherwise pay the money to sweep it under the rug.

I apologize for using the terms "let him fry." Let me make it clear I certainly don't expect capital punishment: I ended that way as a representation of my sentiment to pursue this case to fullest extent of the law - not literally in terms of death. I guess it was not the best choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Non-realistic? As the other poster said, it's not clear if prison is even on the table. I'm not going to debate the alocation of our financial resources, and whether or not they're available or well spent on punishing this man. I think that's tangential to the real matter at hand: there is absolutely no reason to remove felony charges for this crime that is clearly defined as such. Reducing these charges to misdemeanor is what's non-realistic. It DOES matter to more people than the victim. In principal, it matters to everyone - at least, it should. Should all convictions be private? Do you object to such things as sex offender registries? Is the justice system merely a farce? This is what's at stake. We should not be encouraging a country where we view the destruction of another human being as something that can be reduced to a misdemeanor; that employers will not see; that will not affect this man who can otherwise pay the money to sweep it under the rug.

I apologize for using the terms "let him fry." Let me make it clear I certainly don't expect capital punishment: I ended that way as a representation of my sentiment to pursue this case to fullest extent of the law - not literally in terms of death. I guess it was not the best choice.

Dont worry about the let him fry thing. My point is that we as a society take very seriously the difference between accidental and intentional acts of violence. It would seem to me that with no indication that there is road rage involved, the initial incident is an accident. Yes, he should be charged for leaving the scene of the accident and it sounds like he has been. My guess? he panicked and called about his car right away to hide the evidence. Thats panic and fear. The wrong thing to do? absolutley

Our judicial system isnt a farce, but the people who run it have to take into account the system as it exists, not as it should exist. Should they look at each case as if there is a jail cell for each person? The felony laws in colorado, carry a minimum jail time sentence, which im guessing is the biggest part of what the defendant is trying to avoid, and is using the fact that even with jail time, he stops being a contributing member of society upon his release because he loses his professional license with a felony conviction (most likely).

http://www.deadlyroads.com/...t-and-run-laws.shtml

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for alerting me to this. Just last night I was thinking about making plans for a family ski trip this winter and it came down to Vail or Park City – this is enough for me to make the decision. Park City here we come.

I plan to send emails to both the Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Bureau letting them know that the actions of the DA is costing their town business. If enough of us send this message to the organizations that are in existence to bring $ to the community we are likely to get some local support from groups that can influence this DA’s career.

Let them know!
Quote Reply
Re: Calling Vail Residents [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
http://www.teammorganstanley.com/

Morgan Stanley sponsors a cycling team.

Everyone can also send Jordan's email and links to your local team or group lists asking people to take action.

I was thinking something along those lines, actually -
Jordan, don't know if you're reading this far into the thread, but I think that you're at least as likely to have some heavy hitters at Morgan Stanley that follow this forum, as you are to have Vail folks. Might make sense to give them a shout out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To my knowledge, Mark Hurlbert isn't running for Colorado State Senate any longer. He was defeated in the primary over the summer. I think the Facebook page everyone is posting on is an abandoned site. FWIW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
...My point is that we as a society take very seriously the difference between accidental and intentional acts of violence. It would seem to me that with no indication that there is road rage involved, the initial incident is an accident. Yes, he should be charged for leaving the scene of the accident and it sounds like he has been. My guess? he panicked and called about his car right away to hide the evidence. Thats panic and fear. The wrong thing to do? absolutely

Our judicial system isnt a farce, but the people who run it have to take into account the system as it exists, not as it should exist. Should they look at each case as if there is a jail cell for each person? The felony laws in colorado, carry a minimum jail time sentence, which im guessing is the biggest part of what the defendant is trying to avoid, and is using the fact that even with jail time, he stops being a contributing member of society upon his release because he loses his professional license with a felony conviction (most likely).

Sorry if you get a hold of an object that is a deadly weapon if not operated with due care and diligence, and you then use it without said do care and diligence thats NO ACCIDENT, you further complicate things when you do not own up to your mistake... It is in times of Panic that peoples true nature SHINES.. and if he was panicked his nature was to cover his ass and not worry about the human life he left on the side of the road... NICE really nice. and the punishment for this multiple acts of irresponsibility that probably caused this victim his lively hood (which was saving peoples life, so easily could cost others their lives) is a misdemeanor. If the society there has decided a felony offense requires Jail, than so be it. It does not mean we should let his flagrant disregard for life and law go with a slap on the wrist. ITS THE LAW.. ENFORCE IT.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
http://www.vaildaily.com/...01104/NEWS/101109939

Anyone in the Vail area that wants to organize a letter/petition campaign? This is disgusting.

I want to first say that I understand why you have a particularly strong stance on this issue. And I make no bones that he should be severely punished.

That said, I think it's clear right now that jailing someone for crimes like this does not act as a deterant to others. If it did, we wouldn't anti-texting and other distracted drivers laws. Jail here would only reduce his ability to provide for the victims future wellbeing. For a money manager, taking away money would really seem to hit the guy where it hurts.

Beyond what they take from him financially, lets look at the various ways he can be punished that serve provide value.

1. He should have his license revoked permanently.
3. Multiple years worth of community service such that his life will be perhaps forever altered by this incident. He, like his victim, would never be able to live a normal life again with amount of service he would have to provide, and make it focused specifically on distracted driving and personal responsibility.

The only way you need to qualify your answer to this is ask yourself: If he ran into me or one of my friends/loved ones and left us to die,
what would I want?

I think you know the answer. Disgusting certainly describes this situation, AND, our legal system in general. Pathetic comes to mind as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Dont worry about the let him fry thing. My point is that we as a society take very seriously the difference between accidental and intentional acts of violence. It would seem to me that with no indication that there is road rage involved, the initial incident is an accident. Yes, he should be charged for leaving the scene of the accident and it sounds like he has been. My guess? he panicked and called about his car right away to hide the evidence. Thats panic and fear. The wrong thing to do? absolutley

Yes, culturally we seem to be fixed on the concern of intention: no one wants to see an innocent person wrongly or excessively convicted. Nonetheless, this notion of intention vs. accident is the product of a "non-realistic world," as you say. If Accident vs. Intention was a component of written law, only the most rigorously obtained, excessively substantiated evidence could ever convict. The appeal to "accident" over "intent" would pigeonhole every charge to a slap of the wrist, a fine, etc. The problem is that accident is often euphemistically substituted for negligent. The result is that we are creating a society in which no one believes in the efficacy of their own responsibility. I don't care if he didn't intentionally run over Dr. Milo. Neither does the law, appropriately so. If I take the gun from my parents' closet and shoot someone, I am a dumb fuck regardless of intention. If I drive my car, legally licensed, and run over someone on the sidewalk, I am a dumb fuck regardless of intention, barring only the most extraordinary circumstances. Legal consequences exist so that we make choices not to be dumb fucks.

In education, if one fails an exam, s/he fails an exam. Unless the teacher is particularly lenient, the "intention" of the student to perform well on the exam is not a factor. The student either makes the necessary choices to pass the exam, or s/he doesn't pass. Luckily I don't see this attitude changing too much in examinations, but I have met many teachers who allow themselves the provision of adjusting final grades, mostly for the better.

What you are proposing is that anyone can make the case that they fully intended not to harm/commit crime/pass the exam/etc., but do not make the necessary choices to back up their intention. Luckily, the law doesn't put up with this posturing:

(b) A class 5 felony if the accident resulted in serious bodily injury to any person;

Nonetheless, we continue to subvert legal consequence. [pink]Someday there will be legal provisions for the lack of free-will.[/pink]

--- edited to fix reply indent
Last edited by: jdw: Nov 7, 10 10:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From Facebook - I called it first
Quote:

Mark Hurlbert November 7 at 12:37pm ReplyReport Due to people inappropriately using this site to post comments on the pending case I am shutting it down. Thanks for all your support in my bid for State Senate.

Quote Reply
Re: Calling EVERYONE To Action! [tribreck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
To my knowledge, Mark Hurlbert isn't running for Colorado State Senate any longer. He was defeated in the primary over the summer. I think the Facebook page everyone is posting on is an abandoned site. FWIW.

well, here's the official message I received via FB:
"Due to people inappropriately using this site to post comments on the pending case I am shutting it down. Thanks for all your support in my bid for State Senate."

his words, not mine. I found its use entirely appropriate.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling EVERYONE To Action! [tribreck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

That is worth a TON. The "accident" was in very early July....would think that maybe Hulbert needed some extra funds to not be defeated in July....odd timing.

Quote Reply
Re: Calling EVERYONE To Action! [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

well, here's the official message I received via FB:
"Due to people inappropriately using this site to post comments on the pending case I am shutting it down. Thanks for all your support in my bid for State Senate."

his words, not mine. I found its use entirely appropriate.

BWAHAHA epic! I appreciated the PM from him. =D
Quote Reply

Prev Next