Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: BWR Setup [sscott43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schwalbe G-One Speed 30c update.

Set-Up
Currently Mounted on i9 UL23CX which is a set of tubeless clinchers that I know well as CX training wheels.
Internal Width is 23mm. Pressure is currently about 60psi, i9 has recommended against going much higher. (I'm about 165 lbs at the moment)

Tubeless set-up was one of the easiest (of hundreds) that I've mounted. Went on by hand, pumped with floor pump and seated immediately. Currently Orange Seal inside.

Size:
~ 31mm which, in my opinion, is slightly undersized considering the internal width of the rim (23mm). This is slightly disappointing as I was hoping these would go to ~32mm on a 21mm rim.

Edit: After 1 week, they are now measuring at 32.5mm on the same rim @ 60psi

Grip:
Compound feels quite soft and grippy. Profile, even considering the width of the rim is fairly tall. I find both of these tend to give good cornering grip. Doubtful if the small "knobs" do anything for grip.

Rolling:
I rode these after having previously ridden 37c WTB Riddlers on a bike that had previously had 32c Clement Xplor USHs. It was surprising how much faster the g-one speeds were. Obviously more so than the Riddlers, but still much more so than the USH's. Although, a better competitor for this tire would be the Donnelly CDGs.

However, perhaps due to a bit lower than optimal (for rolling) pressure, they feel a bit "sluggish" compared to a nice clincher with latex tubes. I rode along in the group lunch-ride without a hitch.

UPDATE March 18, 2018

Wheels:
Currently mounted on Industry Nine 9.65 wheels, which are probably overkill for this event. However, at 200g lighter than 404's and 7mm deeper(65mm), I figured why not. I did PR a tough climb, so I do not think the additional 200g over the i9 ULCX training wheels will outweigh the aero benefits (Wheelset weight 1550g (advertised) for Tubeless, Centerlock Disc)

Mounting:
Just as easy as the other i9's. Floor pump, no tire levers

Size
32mm at 70psi on 21mm internal rims. Slightly smaller than the wider rim, but just what I expected.

Rolling
Any sense of sluggishness is gone at 70psi. However, they still absorb road imperfections like a good supple tire. Almost giving you that "I have a flat feeling" when you do not get jarred to the extent that you're expecting.

Off road
I've rallied these down some dirt descents, singletrack and rock strewn areas. I'm quite happy with how they're performed including getting a PR down a trail that I was previously fastest on my MTB and which elicited "That was rougher than I remember" comments from the group. Granted 70psi in these conditions is neither plush nor smooth, it is completely survivable and at times fun because of the extra driftyness. I do not believe this wheel or tire combination will be holding me back, however, my primary racing is cyclocross and I tend to be faster than my road-peers in these conditions.

All in all, I'm happy with the Schwalbe G-One Speeds (30c).

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Last edited by: xtrpickels: Mar 18, 18 14:02
Quote Reply
Re: BWR Setup [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutrition Question for the experienced among us.

In the past, have they handed full bottles as it seems some pictures suggest or do they have coolers to fill bottles from?

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
Nutrition Question for the experienced among us.

In the past, have they handed full bottles as it seems some pictures suggest or do they have coolers to fill bottles from?

Yes, bottles AND water to refill are readily available at the stops. They also usually have a wide selection of solid food as well...but, like me, it might not be completely to your liking. I was lamenting last year not bringing some of my own homemade ride food...especially later when I couldn't bear to eat any of the sweet stuff.

I would suggest starting with 2 small bottles and a good selection of solid food that you prefer on you and your bike. Use bottles that you don't mind ditching so that if you are presented the opportunity to grab one of the BWR branded Camelbak bottles, you don't feel bad about throwing away a good bottle ;-)

If you want a particular mix for your liquid, bring it along to add to the bottles when you refill with water. Most of the stops have the GQ6 powder available as well, but again, that may not be to your liking so best to plan ahead.

There's even Cokes available at most of the stops, if that seems like a good idea at the time...

I hope that helps.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been riding the 30mm Speed as everyday road tire since last fall, which is what I’d go with for BWR.. Experience was similar though I’ve had a couple that were an absolute bear to get on and off (luckily the couple casing cuts sealed so I never had to change roadside). I’m ~155 and rode at 60/65. Really liked their ability to roll well enough to do a race ride yet tackle light mixed surface pretty well.

Grip was great on pavement but so-so on loose gravel. I used the 35mm at Gravel Mob last fall and that also rolls well but doesn’t have enough grip for fast, turny trail. For someone wanting extra volume it would probably be a decent BWR choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year they had water at all stops. Some had cokes, one ran out right after I got there.

I was fine refilling my bottles at the stops. I personally didnt lose any bottles, but there were lots of bottles ejected on the dirt sections. I did see some people rolling into aid stations with no bottles left. Luckily they had some extra bottles to give to those riders.

If you are picky about nutrition consider bringing some with you.
Quote Reply
Re: BWR Setup [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom-
Your information has been invaluable for those of us attempting this unique event with no knowledge of the area of past editions. I sincerely appreciate the knowledge you've shared with this (and many other!) topics.

Its good to know about GQ6. I had seen Clif as a sponsor, so I'll pick up some GQ6 as I've never used it. I'm a fairly heavy sweater (and thus drinker) and it may be hard to carry enough for an event this long

Last edited by: xtrpickels: Mar 2, 18 9:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only did BWR once (2014) but it sounds like things haven't changed, in that if you don't need to stop, you don't have to, because the aid stations not only have water and other liquids, but you can get bottle hand-ups so you can abolutely ride (race) the entire course without needing to stop. My moving time that year was 7:47 and I only had two short stops - at my advanced age, two nature stops were required. With a superior bladder, it could have been one long, uninterrupted ride (race).

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
Tom-
Your information has been invaluable for those of attempting this unique event with no knowledge of the area of past editions. I sincerely appreciate the knowledge you've shared with this (and many other!) topics.

Its good to know about GQ6. I had seen Clif as a sponsor, so I'll pick up some GQ6 as I've never used it. I'm a fairly heavy sweater (and thus drinker) and it may be hard to carry enough for an event this long

You're more than welcome. I'm just glad if I can help.

You know, I just took a look at the website and the GQ6 is noticably absent on their sponsor logos...which is kind of odd to me if they're still a sponsor, especially considering how some of the BWR bottles I acquired have the GQ6 logo on them :-/

You might want to drop the organizers a line to see if it's still the GQ6, or if they've switched over to Clif products for that.

Like I said, as long as you have something you prefer to mix into the water on you...even Nuun tablets if you're just concerned about electrolytes...you should be fine.

Quote Reply
Re: BWR Setup [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
I’ve been riding the 30mm Speed as everyday road tire since last fall, which is what I’d go with for BWR.. Experience was similar though I’ve had a couple that were an absolute bear to get on and off (luckily the couple casing cuts sealed so I never had to change roadside). I’m ~155 and rode at 60/65. Really liked their ability to roll well enough to do a race ride yet tackle light mixed surface pretty well.

Does anyone have a new one of those 30mm G-One Speeds that could be loaned for a run on the rollers? :-)

It would be interesting to know what the true pavement Crr is on those...The only G-One I've tested so far is the 40mm "All Around" version, which was a bit underwhelming, to be honest.

Quote:
Grip was great on pavement but so-so on loose gravel. I used the 35mm at Gravel Mob last fall and that also rolls well but doesn’t have enough grip for fast, turny trail. For someone wanting extra volume it would probably be a decent BWR choice.

Yeah...based on what I knew about the course, I kind of figured the Gravel Mob would be better (at least for me) on something with at least some small side knobs, rather than a smoother tire like I usually run (like the Compass tires at BWR). I'm glad I decided to run the 36c Challenge Gravel Grinder Pros on that...they worked great going up Sisar and along the Nordoff ridge, and especially down the single-track. They didn't seem to slow me down on the pavement either, since I suprisingly PR'd the 33 descent (which I've only ever done before on a pure road bike). Of course, it's hard to go fast on that descent anyway, since the prevailing winds are usually straight up the canyon...and strong.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

Does anyone have a new one of those 30mm G-One Speeds that could be loaned for a run on the rollers? :-)

It would be interesting to know what the true pavement Crr is on those...The only G-One I've tested so far is the 40mm "All Around" version, which was a bit underwhelming, to be honest.

Quote:

Yeah...based on what I knew about the course, I kind of figured the Gravel Mob would be better (at least for me) on something with at least some small side knobs, rather than a smoother tire like I usually run (like the Compass tires at BWR). I'm glad I decided to run the 36c Challenge Gravel Grinder Pros on that...they worked great going up Sisar and along the Nordoff ridge, and especially down the single-track. They didn't seem to slow me down on the pavement either, since I suprisingly PR'd the 33 descent (which I've only ever done before on a pure road bike). Of course, it's hard to go fast on that descent anyway, since the prevailing winds are usually straight up the canyon...and strong.

Tom, let me echo Robert's posts about your contributions! I just so happen to have two new G-One Speed 30s that I have not yet taken out of the box - if I could prevail on you to send it back after testing (since I probably will use them for a test ride on the course in the days prior to BWR once I make it to CA), I'd be happy to loan one to you. PM me and we can work on the details.

Thanks,
Sean
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

I could help with this as needed.

My prediction is worse than a ProOne @28c or traditional "fast" tires with latex tubes (Challenge Strada Bianca), but faster than similar items.

Quote Reply
Re: BWR Setup [sscott43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sscott43 wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

Quote:

Tom, let me echo Robert's posts about your contributions! I just so happen to have two new G-One Speed 30s that I have not yet taken out of the box - if I could prevail on you to send it back after testing (since I probably will use them for a test ride on the course in the days prior to BWR once I make it to CA), I'd be happy to loan one to you. PM me and we can work on the details.

Thanks,
Sean

Cool. I'll PM you my address. Will definitely send it back, but I may not be able to get to it before the weekend after next.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the actual width of the G-One Speed 700x30mm?
Is it quite a bit bigger than a Pro One 700X28?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not much wind to speak of on it this year. I had gearing all wrong for up and down, spun out on that descent and got caught by Rappstar, Neil and another buddy. And don’t really know how much a different tire would have mattered on single track part, it just sucked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom

I’ve been running Hutchison Sector 32’s on the loose dirt out here in SD. I’ve wiped out a few times.

I love the way the tire rolls on pavement. It also handles large rocks and cobbles really well. I just find myself wishing there were larger knobs on the sidewalls.

I’m 175 and have been running 55 psi up front and 60 psi on the back.

Do you have any recommendations on other tires for BWR or should I look to drop pressure?

TIA
Last edited by: SBRinSD: Mar 3, 18 15:40
Quote Reply
Re: BWR Setup [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Not much wind to speak of on it this year. I had gearing all wrong for up and down, spun out on that descent and got caught by Rappstar, Neil and another buddy. And don’t really know how much a different tire would have mattered on single track part, it just sucked.

Yeah, along the Nordoff ridge it was nice, but I could tell that it was a headwind down the 33...as it always is ;-)

That's ironic you got caught because of being spun out...but I only say that because you probably would've all come together anyway at the single-lane construction closure near the bottom. I had a ~5 minute gap on the group I ended up finishing with...until I had to wait at that closure for workers to finally allow the downhill traffic to go through the single lane. Next thing you know, I'm in a group of ~10 as I sat there waiting :-/

I liked the single-track! Well, except for one spot where my front wheel went into a previously "gouged" shale washout in the trail (someone ahead of me had gone off-trail there and left a big "divot") and I shoulder-checked the rock exposure on my left...ouch. But, other than that, I was having a blast. I guess all of that '80s MTB experience was being dredged up :-) That's where I really appreciated the side knobs on the Gravel Grinder Pros.

Quote Reply
Re: BWR Setup [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRinSD wrote:
Tom

I’ve been running Hutchison Sector 32’s on the loose dirt out here in SD. I’ve wiped out a few times.

I love the way the tire rolls on pavement. It also handles large rocks and cobbles really well. I just find myself wishing there were larger knobs on the sidewalls.

I’m 175 and have been running 55 psi up front and 60 psi on the back.

Do you have any recommendations on other tires for BWR or should I look to drop pressure?

TIA

How large of a tire can you fit? The larger the better IMO for what you're describing. You can drop the pressures even more and gain some casing compliance which will not only help with control even with a tire without side knobs (surprising, I know...I didn't believe it until I experienced it), but it also helps a lot in the REALLY sandy sections (like "Sandy Bandy") because you get better flotation.

Last edited by: Tom A.: Mar 3, 18 16:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am planning on riding my Santa Cruz Stigmata, which I believe will run closer to 40.
Quote Reply
Re: BWR Setup [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRinSD wrote:
I am planning on riding my Santa Cruz Stigmata, which I believe will run closer to 40.

If I was doing BWR this year (I'm "officially" not. I've signed up for the Nova Eroica in Paso Robles on the same day), I would most likely be riding on Challenge Strada Bianca Pro 36C w/latex tubes.

If the Stigmata can handle 40s, then those should fit. Even if you have ~21mm internal width rims, they shouldn't be over ~37-38mm wide. On-road, they're decently fast (within 2-3W for a pair to a 23C GP4KS w/latex), which is fairly impressive considering they boast a double-layer of their PPS puncture breaker). I'd run them at 40/45 psi F/R...maybe a few psi higher for you. If you're concerned about pinch flats or small punctures with the latex tubes, then put some Orange Seal in the tubes.

Oh...one word of advice on those tires. If you get them, mount them with butyl tubes first to let the casings stretch for a few days into a more rounded shape. Trying to stuff a latex tube into them when the are in their "straight out of the box" flat condition can be quite the exercise in futility...but no problem after a day or 2 of stretching.

Last edited by: Tom A.: Mar 3, 18 18:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome - thanks for the advice!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My testing experience with CX and road bike.

I live in South San diego county and mapped out a local loop I think is a decent testbed. It's a 45 mile loop with a 5 mile dirt stretch and a 1800 foot climb up Honey Springs (4K on the total ride) I rode it first week on my Tarmac with still only 25mm Specialized Turbo tires @ 85 psi and last week on my CX bike with 35mm Mud Wrangler tires at 60 PSI.

Road gearing is 52/36 -11/30 with Rim brakes and CX is 48/38 11/32 with Disc brakes

The net is, there was not much difference and I think the motor still has the most to do with it.

Key segments - Tarmac. CX
4 mile washboard dirt road. 24:49. 23:44
6.9 mile climb on road. 54:33. 57:57
2 Mile 700' road descent. 4:35. 3:54

Road sections were harder to compare because of traffic and lights, but not any glaring differences.

I expected a bigger difference on the dirt road and the interesting thing was the faster descent on the CX bike - but I have carbon clinchers on the roadie now and they don't inspire descending confidence like discs. There was a 3 minute advantage on the long climb with the Tarmac - but mood and motivation could have played a part, my HR was not very high on the slower climb

Total time on the loops were pretty close (didn't follow identical route over last 10 miles to get some more dirt) so if you don't have the perfect , latest gravel race bike - don't sweat it.

Since I've got most stuff in a drawer - I plan to put compact (50/34) rings on the CX rig and probably some faster tires ( not much mud here) - I think I can make it faster on the road and still keep the confidence on the dirt. I'll try the loop a few more times I hope and let y'all know how it's going

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Re: BWR Setup [TriDevilDog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriDevilDog wrote:
My testing experience with CX and road bike.

I live in South San diego county and mapped out a local loop I think is a decent testbed. It's a 45 mile loop with a 5 mile dirt stretch and a 1800 foot climb up Honey Springs (4K on the total ride) I rode it first week on my Tarmac with still only 25mm Specialized Turbo tires @ 85 psi and last week on my CX bike with 35mm Mud Wrangler tires at 60 PSI.

Road gearing is 52/36 -11/30 with Rim brakes and CX is 48/38 11/32 with Disc brakes

The net is, there was not much difference and I think the motor still has the most to do with it.

Key segments - Tarmac. CX
4 mile washboard dirt road. 24:49. 23:44
6.9 mile climb on road. 54:33. 57:57
2 Mile 700' road descent. 4:35. 3:54

Road sections were harder to compare because of traffic and lights, but not any glaring differences.

I expected a bigger difference on the dirt road and the interesting thing was the faster descent on the CX bike - but I have carbon clinchers on the roadie now and they don't inspire descending confidence like discs. There was a 3 minute advantage on the long climb with the Tarmac - but mood and motivation could have played a part, my HR was not very high on the slower climb

Total time on the loops were pretty close (didn't follow identical route over last 10 miles to get some more dirt) so if you don't have the perfect , latest gravel race bike - don't sweat it.

Since I've got most stuff in a drawer - I plan to put compact (50/34) rings on the CX rig and probably some faster tires ( not much mud here) - I think I can make it faster on the road and still keep the confidence on the dirt. I'll try the loop a few more times I hope and let y'all know how it's going

Definitely find some faster tires for the CX (shouldn't be too hard...you're starting from a low bar ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

I am currently rolling a Panaracer Gravel King SK 35C, what is your thought on Maxxis Re-Fuse Tire in a 32c tubeless? I am running XTR wheels which are 21mm wide.

Also, just received an email regarding one of the segments, looks like the Lake Hodges parts are definitely part of the course. Rode this part on the first recon ride and it is pretty techincal with lots of large boulders and some 'hike-a-bike' sections.

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: BWR Setup [hvywghttrigy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hvywghttrigy wrote:
Tom,

I am currently rolling a Panaracer Gravel King SK 35C, what is your thought on Maxxis Re-Fuse Tire in a 32c tubeless? I am running XTR wheels which are 21mm wide.

Also, just received an email regarding one of the segments, looks like the Lake Hodges parts are definitely part of the course. Rode this part on the first recon ride and it is pretty techincal with lots of large boulders and some 'hike-a-bike' sections.

Chris

I don't have any direct experience with the Re-Fuse, but a friend of mine likes them on his all-road rig...and rode those in BWR 2 years ago.

Yeah, I saw that email...that's the fun part (IMO) that was added last year that most likely contributed to my "bonk" (having too much fun to remember to eat...doh!). That was one of the section that made me very glad about my 44C width tire choice :-)

Quote Reply
Re: BWR Setup [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To follow up on my own post.

I just mounted up a set of Schwable G-One speed tires. They really aren't any larger than the Schwable Pro One 700x28mm that I have been using.
They even fit in my road bike.
I will likely use them on my cross bike though, as my cross bike is more "disposable" than my disc road bike and also has more room to clear mud.
Quote Reply

Prev Next