Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015
Quote | Reply
I'm traveling today. And am committed to family this week. But I'll try to be prompt in answering. Just maybe a bit slower than when I had no kids. Or only one. Been a long time since I have had the opportunity to do one of these. It's nice to have the privilege again.

First off, because I am sure it will be asked. My new helmet. The reason may surprise you. The priority was NOT aerodynamics. I won one race in the McLaren helmet - my first race in it. I stopped winning races the same time I started wearing it. Coincidence? To a certain extent. But it was also the first time in my career that I decided to use something ONLY because of aerodynamics. I'd always had more balance than that before. And, eventually, I just lost confidence in it. I felt - sort of - like it was cursed. And when I put it on, I no longer "felt" fast. I didn't feel good wearing that helmet anymore. The POC helmet seemed well designed based on what I saw and what I read, and I asked if they might give me one to try. They were nice enough to do so, and when I took it out for a ride and knew right away, "yes." It just felt right. Some brief - REALLY brief - analysis made me confident it was fast. it was aero "enough." But I liked the visor (which surprised me). I liked the feel. I liked that it seemed to be a bit more forgiving of head position. And I just felt good - I felt FAST - wearing it. And so I raced in it. As I said to my coach, I just felt like the POC had better mojo. And it seems like it did...

Gearing was 54-11/30.

Tires were S-Works Turbo Cotton 24 front (110psi) & 26 rear (105psi). Caveat on the pressure. My travel pump reads about 5psi high vs. my Silca Pista, so that's why I inflate a bit more. With the Silca, I'd go just over 105 in the front and just over 100 in the rear.

Frame bottle (which I lost on course) was an Elite. Seems to be the bottle of choice. Josh P said it tested well when Zipp tested it, so I bought it off eBay. Makes me feel good to see Jan use it and MANY others who are aerodynamically conscious.

Other than that, pretty much nothing new, though obviously a bunch of new stuff since I last won a race...

Okay, fire away...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats! Cool following you online yesterday and nice swim!

1) Dimond feedback for long course?
2) How did you pace your run knowing you has such a lead?
3) How was the trisuit? Was it a PI?

Cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First off, Congratulations! I'm happy for you and your family. You seem like a great guy! Do you "plan" your bike and run legs into pieces/effort levels? Or just shoot for steady the whole way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations.
Last edited by: Triagain2: Aug 17, 15 6:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you've "calibrated" your travel pump, why not just report the "true" pressure?

Nice work, Tiger :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrats on your win. i saw you twice on the bike course. you were really smoking

how did you find the weather and did you adjust your plan and/or nutrition?

PS: nice touch with the donuts for the volunteers at the end of the night
Last edited by: ptakeda: Aug 17, 15 6:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you think the aerodynamic penalty is for running a 24/26 tire combo? I run this setup on my road bike and love it, but have been hesitant to run it for TTs.

Great job!

Oh, want to sell me your McLaren?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many congrats! Really happy for you to see you take this win in a big way, all day!!

Thanks also for doing this!

Why did you decide not to wear a visor or hat on the run?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your race day performance!

In the past, I've read that you ride your numbers rather closely. Can you talk a bit about the power you decided to hold yesterday?

Somewhere around halfway through the bike course, I felt you had it wrapped up when Lionel was not making up time on your bike split (and he'd mentioned pre-race he too was going to ride his numbers).

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats, great job on a tough course!

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ktm520 wrote:
Congrats! Cool following you online yesterday and nice swim!

1) Dimond feedback for long course?
2) How did you pace your run knowing you has such a lead?
3) How was the trisuit? Was it a PI?

Cheers.

1) Awesome. it's really a very "normal" bike. It looks much stranger than it rides. I mean that as a compliment.

2) Race the first loop. Steady the second loop.

3) Great. Louis Garneau Course. Much better for triathlon than the Octane in my experience with both. Both are VERY fast aerodynamically. But the LG is more comfortable all around. For me.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:
First off, Congratulations! I'm happy for you and your family. You seem like a great guy! Do you "plan" your bike and run legs into pieces/effort levels? Or just shoot for steady the whole way.

This run is very steady (pretty flat). The bike, guys tend to suffer on the short rolling climbs unless they prepare for them. So I knew I wanted to ride those hard. But I rely a lot on "feel" within both as well. Within a range of sensibility...

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [ptakeda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ptakeda wrote:
congrats on your win. i saw you twice on the bike course. you were really smoking

how did you find the weather and did you adjust your plan and/or nutrition?

PS: nice touch with the donuts for the volunteers at the end of the night

I was well prepared for the conditions. We had a very hot and humid spell in SoCal during preparation. Otherwise I would have done heat acclimatization. So I did not need to tweak on race day.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Orbilius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Orbilius wrote:
What do you think the aerodynamic penalty is for running a 24/26 tire combo? I run this setup on my road bike and love it, but have been hesitant to run it for TTs.

Great job!

Oh, want to sell me your McLaren?

Negligible.

Sorry, helmet is a raffle item (with the custom WBR paint job) for my end of year fundraiser.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [highflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
highflyer wrote:
Many congrats! Really happy for you to see you take this win in a big way, all day!!

Thanks also for doing this!

Why did you decide not to wear a visor or hat on the run?

I don't like them. Never race with one. I used to race with a hat, but I'm happier now with just glasses. I like being able to get cold water or a sponge right on my head.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Since you've "calibrated" your travel pump, why not just report the "true" pressure?

Nice work, Tiger :-)

Something in me feels compelled to post what I see on the dial... I guess because for a long time I didn't know my Lezyne was off?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is your book going to be called "It's not about the helmet?"

Also, you went with Tims dooughnuts over Beaver Tails? That's weak.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
Congrats on your race day performance!

In the past, I've read that you ride your numbers rather closely. Can you talk a bit about the power you decided to hold yesterday?

Somewhere around halfway through the bike course, I felt you had it wrapped up when Lionel was not making up time on your bike split (and he'd mentioned pre-race he too was going to ride his numbers).

For the first loop, I wanted to base around 300. I knew with congestion, the second lap would be harder to have "clean" pacing. I knew somewhere in the low-to-mid 290s was doable.

Average power was 282. Pnorm was 292. Average certainly would have been higher - Pnorm probably about the same - if I was able to ride two loops without AG traffic.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So awesome to see you winning again! It's nice to see the fruits of your labor, so to speak, and I've been hoping you'd get a result consummate to the hard work you've been putting in. That bike split, even when compared to the other pros is incredible, and just reconfirms your uber biker status. Oh, and the best run split certainly helped as well. :)

Does this mean you are taking a Hawaii vacation?
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
So awesome to see you winning again! It's nice to see the fruits of your labor, so to speak, and I've been hoping you'd get a result consummate to the hard work you've been putting in. That bike split, even when compared to the other pros is incredible, and just reconfirms your uber biker status. Oh, and the best run split certainly helped as well. :)

Does this mean you are taking a Hawaii vacation?

When I trained for this race, i approached it with Joel as "15 weeks to Hawaii" (starting after BSLT70.3) as opposed to "7 weeks to IMMT." That said, doing another one in 8 weeks seems crazy right now. But, at least in part, I had the success I had by being disciplined about sticking to the planning, so based off that, I feel like I need to trust that and trust that I will be prepared on Oct 10. But man it seems dumb right now!

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Is your book going to be called "It's not about the helmet?"

Also, you went with Tims dooughnuts over Beaver Tails? That's weak.

I was not able to confirm that the Beaver Tails location on the mountain was open late enough. I couldn't find contact info for them anywhere. And I was short enough on time (and getting into the village with the race going on) that I had to make a decision. If the Beaver Tails were a bust, I'd have had nothing. THAT would have been super weak.

I have a title for my book, if/when I write it. It's not that. Wink

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't really have any questions in addition to the ones being asked....however, I did want to reiterate how cool it is of you to do this...so appreciated by so many, especially less than 24 hours a win. really cool of you to do this. Congrats again on a great win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats Jordan:

Thoughts on 1x11 with the 30 gearing - is there a max gradient or length of climb where you'd need to risk swapping the 54 for a 53? Conversely - will you go with 55 for Kona for the Hawi descent?

2:55 seems like a quick marathon given your lead, and it looks like you held consistent throughout. Were you more focused on nailing a solid run vs. saving the legs?

Thoughts on being an Urban Triathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, congratulations on the race and most importantly fighting back from a difficult period in your career! I hope in the near future you write a blog or post about the mental and physical steps that you took to get back to form.

The question: Are you still running shorter cranks on the Diamond? What size exactly?

I don't feel like I am delivering the same power on my TT bike as I do my road bike. Unfortunately, I have not invested in a power meter yet so it is just feel. I'm running 172.5's both road and TT. I'm thinking about trying 165's. Concerned about climbing with shorter cranks.
Last edited by: JJD: Aug 17, 15 7:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You alluded to this being a make it or break it race; the emotion at the finish line was pretty touching to watch. So way to go, you had a lot at stake and simply you nailed it!

Was the break-through ( is rebreak-through even a word?) mental, physical, both? Were you training better? Did you feel different in the night before the race? When did you know the race was going right for you?
Quote Reply

Prev Next