Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [docpeachey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
docpeachey wrote:
Congratulations Jordan! Would you please post your acceptance speech on your website, so we all can enjoy it?

Thanks,
Sharon

I'm posting it on ST later today.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Li0nel1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Li0nel1234 wrote:
As a pro to a poor age grouper with hopes of getting faster, what would you say is the best bang for your $ or time? Joining a tri club, masters swim, a coach, [pink font] race wheels [/pink font], etc?

Find a good tri club. That's almost free. From there, a good bike fit is the next best thing. Good group of peers + top-shelf professional bike fit will make this sport a lot more enjoyable for the lowest $.

WAY too many age groupers choose the inverse. They pay loads of money for a coach with dubious credentials and then invest no money in their bike position.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious what does this weeks training look like, roughly, given that you want to bounce back for another Ironman so soon?
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
Did Specialized reach out to you after your win?

Specialized is a big company. So the company, as a whole, can't really "reach out." But yes, I heard from friends of mine within the company.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [trijedi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trijedi wrote:
First, congrats on another IM win.

Your "ad astra per aspera" speech after winning IM Canada 2011 was inspirational. Should we be looking for copies of the remarks you made after IMMT?

I will post them on ST later today.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [LSandersTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LSandersTri wrote:
Congrats again. You put on a real clinic. I can't say I enjoyed the class, but you sure had me captivated. I read your blog after IMTX and you sounded like you were losing a bit of the desire to continue to pursue high performance triathlon. Hopefully this renews the drive.

I am curious as to what your peak weekly training volume is. I am also curious as to what your longest bike and runs are. Finally, I am curious what your longest continuous workout is.

Also, do you do anything for heat acclimatization?

Peak week was 27.5hrs.

Longest bike was just over 6hrs.

Longest run was 2:15.

Longest continuous workout was 7hrs - that ride was 6:15 and then 45min run off the bike. https://www.strava.com/activities/354941946 & https://www.strava.com/activities/354942115

We lucked out with the weather at home having atypically high humidity, so I took advantage of that. So I didn't do any heat-specific indoor training (I have in the past). But plenty of workouts designed around heat acclimatization while I was outside. Like, I specifically choose to ride or run during the hottest part of the day. I seek out the tough conditions during training rather than avoiding them. Though, at other times, for easier workouts, I also seek out easier conditions. I do my hard training in the hard conditions as much as I can.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
docfuel wrote:
Jordan,
Congratulations on your win. I rank you up there with other great sportsmen and comebackers.
Just curious, because I've been out of the loop for a while, did you solve your gut issues? What did you do?

Not sure what you are referring to. Only ever had GI issues at one race - IMAZ 2011. That was a long time ago. And I think that was food poisoning...

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [krez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
krez wrote:
What kind of saddle bag did you have behind your saddle? It looks like you have the gorilla cage attached to the saddle bag. Is that correct?

SciCon Phantom 230.

No. The XLab mount is mounted directly to the seatpost. The bag fits in the gap.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Rappstar wrote:

Okay, fire away...

Was it a Rappstar special cooked chain or a certified FF chain for this one?

CeramicSpeed UFO chain for this one.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [julcicc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
julcicc wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
trimac2 wrote:
Great race! Congrats! What was your nutrition plan on race day?

My normal pre-race breakfast. With some very slight tweaks.
- bottle of Ultragen made with chocolate almond milk
- banana
- 2x Envirokidz rice krispy bar
- 6x laughing giraffe snackaroons (they made them smaller, so it's 1.5 to a serving now instead of 1)

That's about 1200 calories.

Bike:
2x24oz bottles with 8 scoops EFS pro on bike. I had my Elite bottle with 10 scoops in it, but I lost that early on, so I drank more gatorade to make up for the extra calories.
2x21oz bottles with 6 scoops EFS pro in special needs.
Drank 4 bottles of gatorade.

That's about 1700 calories

Coke and Gatorade at every aid station on run.

Can you detail breakfast & nutrition timing pre/during race (including dinner day before)? Thanks! And great race

Finish breakfast by 4:30AM. (6:36AM start)

Finish dinner by 7:30PM night before.

Drink about every 15min during the race on bike. Drink at every aid station on run.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Li0nel1234 wrote:
As a pro to a poor age grouper with hopes of getting faster, what would you say is the best bang for your $ or time? Joining a tri club, masters swim, a coach, [pink font] race wheels [/pink font], etc?

Find a good tri club. That's almost free. From there, a good bike fit is the next best thing. Good group of peers + top-shelf professional bike fit will make this sport a lot more enjoyable for the lowest $.

WAY too many age groupers choose the inverse. They pay loads of money for a coach with dubious credentials and then invest no money in their bike position.

Thanks for doing this it's unreal being able to pick the brain of a Pro. You're awesome! Congrats on the win and I wish you the best in training for Kona I'll be rooting for you!
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cshowe80 wrote:
Congratulations Jordan! I've long been a fan of yours and believe you're perspective on our sport is refreshing. I just finished reading your Beam Bike article in Lava this am before seeing your result. Always find anything and everything you write to be beneficial. Glad to see you're back especially after a few tough races and I hope you had a smile on your face the whole way to your victory.

My question(s) if I may are ...
With you being a known strong biker, did you find any point on the tough Tremblant course where your 1x system was a hinderance? (assuming you kept your typical setup)
Do you think somebody who is less formidable on the bike would have difficulty with such a system?
Last but not least, what was the best equipment choice you made for this race?

I did not. I used the 30 in the back more than I thought I might, which makes me think when I race in MT again, I'll bring an 11-32 just to try it out on the course and see which I like better.

No. You just need to be judicious in your gearing choices. Like, I think many people would do really well with 52-11/36. That's the same as 39-27 in the back and almost 53-11 in the front for plenty of speed with a tailwind or descending. If you are a heavier rider - so good overall power but maybe not great w:kg, then 50-11/36 would probably be just fine.

I don't know if I can say one thing. Ironman is a long day. It's a lot of little things added together. I guess I'm glad I switched helmets. But I wouldn't say that was the "best" decision I made...

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Phil Hodson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Phil Hodson wrote:
Congratulations on a great race!

Can I ask where you are getting your Vredestein latex tubes from?
I'm struggling to find ones with the 32mm valve.

Cheers

Phil

eBay. 42mm not 32mm.

http://www.ebay.com/...;hash=item2c96d4e4d4

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
Is the dimond really faster than your old Shiv?

Yes. But both are very fast bikes. The Dimond is a "lot" faster for me, given that small time gains are really important as a pro. But the Shiv is still a great bike.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [CamDukio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CamDukio wrote:
Congrats!
What was your taper like? 2 weeks (or less)? Did you go down by a certain percentage? Intensities, etc.? Thanks for doing this.

2 weeks.

It's not formulaic in terms of percentage drop. Basically, the week is pretty much normal except that long ride and long run are shorter. And some easy workouts are a tad shorter. Intensity drops less than volume.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [baldiesrt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
baldiesrt wrote:
Congrats Rappstar!
I remember leading you to the finish for IM NYC when i was the bike volunteer leading you. You had a great run.

So my question, how did you train when your kids were younger? Being a new dad now, I feel that training takes time away from my daughter which is the utmost important. I didn't sign up for an IM this year or next (trying for next child soon).

thanks

I wouldn't say it was that different. I feel like this is maybe the worst area where I can give advice. Training is my job. This is essentially like asking you how you go to work when you have kids. You just do. It's what you have to do.

My advice, though, is basically this:
- figure out how much time you have available to you after you subtract everything else you need to do: eat, sleep, work, time with family, etc, etc, etc. BE COMPREHENSIVE. DO NOT THINK ABOUT TRAINING. ONLY THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU NEED TO DO. DO NOT SHORTCHANGE SLEEP.

- then, once you have everything you need to do sorted and know how much time you have available, THEN you decide how much of that time you want to spend training. THEN you decide how to optimize that time.

Too many people try to make their lives fit around their training rather than vice versa.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
cshowe80 wrote:
Congratulations Jordan! I've long been a fan of yours and believe you're perspective on our sport is refreshing. I just finished reading your Beam Bike article in Lava this am before seeing your result. Always find anything and everything you write to be beneficial. Glad to see you're back especially after a few tough races and I hope you had a smile on your face the whole way to your victory.

My question(s) if I may are ...
With you being a known strong biker, did you find any point on the tough Tremblant course where your 1x system was a hinderance? (assuming you kept your typical setup)
Do you think somebody who is less formidable on the bike would have difficulty with such a system?
Last but not least, what was the best equipment choice you made for this race?

I did not. I used the 30 in the back more than I thought I might, which makes me think when I race in MT again, I'll bring an 11-32 just to try it out on the course and see which I like better.

No. You just need to be judicious in your gearing choices. Like, I think many people would do really well with 52-11/36. That's the same as 39-27 in the back and almost 53-11 in the front for plenty of speed with a tailwind or descending. If you are a heavier rider - so good overall power but maybe not great w:kg, then 50-11/36 would probably be just fine.

I don't know if I can say one thing. Ironman is a long day. It's a lot of little things added together. I guess I'm glad I switched helmets. But I wouldn't say that was the "best" decision I made...

Thanks for the reply and for keeping up your contributions to ST and the larger Triathlon community :-)

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [sib1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sib1 wrote:
Curious what does this weeks training look like, roughly, given that you want to bounce back for another Ironman so soon?

This week I am supposed to do one "activity" each day. I couldn't do that on Monday (travel). And yesterday, I owed my family time, so I basically just walked a bunch, albeit a bunch while carrying one or both girls. I'm hoping I might be able to swim a little today and tomorrow though.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jordan
Guess that's why I'm struggling to find them!

Phil
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
baldiesrt wrote:
Congrats Rappstar!
I remember leading you to the finish for IM NYC when i was the bike volunteer leading you. You had a great run.

So my question, how did you train when your kids were younger? Being a new dad now, I feel that training takes time away from my daughter which is the utmost important. I didn't sign up for an IM this year or next (trying for next child soon).

thanks

I wouldn't say it was that different. I feel like this is maybe the worst area where I can give advice. Training is my job. This is essentially like asking you how you go to work when you have kids. You just do. It's what you have to do.

My advice, though, is basically this:
- figure out how much time you have available to you after you subtract everything else you need to do: eat, sleep, work, time with family, etc, etc, etc. BE COMPREHENSIVE. DO NOT THINK ABOUT TRAINING. ONLY THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU NEED TO DO. DO NOT SHORTCHANGE SLEEP.

- then, once you have everything you need to do sorted and know how much time you have available, THEN you decide how much of that time you want to spend training. THEN you decide how to optimize that time.

Too many people try to make their lives fit around their training rather than vice versa.

As a new dad, this hits home with me. I find cycling to be the hardest to fit in, as it requires the longest blocks of time away from my family. Unlike many age groupers, I do almost no training on the weekends. This is absolutely detrimental to my triathlon performance, but it makes my weekends extremely valuable to me as that's when I really get to spend QUALITY time with my family.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did you manage to outrun the Domo?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jordan,

I'm late on this one but congrats on a very nice win ! Great to see you back at you level and happy you'll be on the Kona starting list, exciting year in Kona !

I have four questions I hope you can answer :

1) LG Tri-Suit, the one I have seem to have a jersey attached to a short in the rear with a small mesh at the top of the short in the front. Maybe it's the black and white version you have but it doesn't seem to be exactly the same we can buy, yours seem more like a one piece suit with no overlap (like the Fusion), so is it custom or it's the same M-2 we can buy ?

2) Helmet, it seems you did not test the POC in the tunnel and Jim@ero often said without testing the LG P-09 is a good bet, it also has a visor that is pretty nice and it's easy to put on. Since you have a partnership with LG, any reason why you did not consider the P-09 before the POC ? or maybe you did and it did not work out ?

3) How did you loose the Elite bottle, user mistake or it "can" go away with vibrations on rougher roads ? This was one bottle I consider, having tried other aero bottle so your feedback will be helpful.

4) Newton : any reason why you use Distance S III and not the newer version ? Do you believe the "lugs" make you faster compare to other shoes you've ran in ?

Thanks a lot in advance for your feedback and good luck with everything that will come next !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jordan

I screamed at you 3 times "grande" (bike and run!)

u are skinny as it gets but on the bike u are like 1 foot wide at the most (shoulder to shoulder); I bet that helps a ton aero wise!

nothing really to say other than congratulations again!!!!

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a great race Jordan! It's good to see you on top again.

I know you've ridden, essentially, the same position for quite a while. Have you given consideration to making tweaks to improve your aerodynamics? Not saying they necessarily need improving. Just curious.

For example, one thing I've always noticed about your position is that your elbows are spaced relatively wide, and also directly under your shoulders. Surely this is a very stable elbow position that's comfortable for 112 miles. However, the result, I *think*, is that this causes your shoulders to be pretty wide given your body frame size. Have you, or would you, ever test out a slightly longer/higher/narrower elbow position to better facilitate rolling your shoulders in without changing your hip angle? Or do you primarily consider comfort, given the distances you're racing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you carb load, and if so which protocol do you use?
Quote Reply

Prev Next