Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
I know Brian swam past HS, maybe one year of college. I want to say Florida State. And I seem to recall he was a 16 low in the 1500 LC. But that was a long time ago as he is 37. If you really want to know I am sure he was a HS AA and all those records are saved so you can find out how fasthe was.

Yes, Jordan's 60 min swim is ridiculous.

Brian is REALLY fast. He was a very good ITU swimmer when he raced ITU. He's not just long course fast. He is F-A-S-T.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [elcartelduco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elcartelduco wrote:
congratulations! great to see you winning again. i read your blog so i can see how important this is for you.

why aren't you using zipp carbon clinchers w/ super 9 disc?
also the fact that you're still using Specialized tubulars even after ending contract with them speaks highly of its quality.
can you develop on your wheels and tires choice? is this strictly your best choice, or biased by sponsors?

enjoy and recover!

- I prefer the "road feel" of the Turbo Cottons. The Crr difference is negligible, but I just like the way the Cottons ride.

- The feeling is mutual. Specialized is nice enough to continue to provide me with tires.

- I believe it is absolutely the best wheel+tire combo you can buy. Without question.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [agreif] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreif wrote:
First off, awesome race! Glad you see you back at the top!

Second - assuming an appropriately paced/powered bike, do you have any tips for us mortals to help bring that off-the-bike run pace closer to the stand alone run pace?

Run more. *IF* you pace the bike properly - and that's a HUGE "if," the biggest issue in LC racing is, by far, pacing the bike - then you just need to run more. More often, longer, etc, etc. But if you struggle to run off the bike, I'd look REALLY hard at pacing of the bike before anything else.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Good to hear that home life is easier than with newborns at IM Texas 2014 time frame. This has to help your recovery during hard bouts of training.

One more question. At your peak training, are you getting 52 hours of sleep per week, 56, 60, 60+?

I try to get 9-9.5 in total per day. For sure 60+ is a necessity.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [krez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
krez wrote:
Which latex tubes and sealant are you using?

Vittoria (fr) & Vredestein (rr). difference is because of valve stem lengths and my disc adapter.

I use Stan's sealant. Stopped with the mix with Slime. Just Stan's. Replace the tubes more often as a result.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
4) For me 4:15/km +/- 5s. That's what I consider "steady."

Is that what you do your long runs at?

Depends. That's what I "average" for a lot of my long runs. But I rarely do a long run at that pace for the whole thing.

But most of my long runs are progressive pace. Build from slower than that to faster than that. Some long runs with quite hard intervals in the middle.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Good to hear that home life is easier than with newborns at IM Texas 2014 time frame. This has to help your recovery during hard bouts of training.

One more question. At your peak training, are you getting 52 hours of sleep per week, 56, 60, 60+?

I try to get 9-9.5 in total per day. For sure 60+ is a necessity.

Thanks. I think this is where most of us age groupers fail. I know I do, then again, my biz life is not really optimized with a stable environment to get sufficient sleep. Most of the logs of the guys in my group, 52 hours is a good week. Most are often under 50 hours and you can pretty well predict either performance drop offs or getting sick (or both). 60 hours seems to be the golden target where the physiology has a good chance to catch up with IM training loads+ outside triathlon family/professional life.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you ever get tired of talking about yourself?

;) Nothing to add. Great job, inspiring win, fun to watch.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Wow, great race!!! You had the 7th fastest swim overall with a 51:33, only 2:17 behind Brian Fleishmann's 49:16. This must be one of your best iron swims ever, maybe your fastest iron swim??? As others have asked, have you changed anything about your swim training, or did it all just finally come together??? Current 500 scy time??? In any event, great swim and great race!!!

because I know you will find this interesting:

http://www.usms.org/...merID=02ZH2#1650Free

If you look at the results list you will see that Eric S Limkemann - who was also in the race yesterday - went a 17:01 vs Rapp's 18:19.

AJ - Thanks for that link, this is very interesting: Limkemann was 1:18 ahead of Rapp in the 1650 yd, but then only 1:25 ahead in the 4225 yd iron swim, whereas i would've predicted (4225/1650) (1:18) = (2.56) (1.3 min) = 3.33 min or 3:20. I think the IMMT swim was a wetsuit-legal swim so that might be part of it, but of course monty is always pointing out how Jordan is such a "diesel" with his 5300 yd in the 1-hour swim (1:08/100 yd), IOW he was holding 18:41/1650 for a bit over three 1650s in a row. Put another way, Jordan averaged 1:06.6/100 yd for his 18:19.6 for the 1650 vs 1:07.9/100 yd in the hour swim. That's an amazingly low slow-down rate for swimming over three times as long/far:)

I looked around on Google to see if Fleishmann swam in college but didn't find any info. Do you know if Limkemann did???

Yes. He was a good D-3 miler. I want to say he swam at a Pennsylvania school... I know because he swam against my good friend Dano Wells, who swam for St. Johns.

I've swam 50:xx, but I bet the course was shorter (or timing mats placed closer). I swam 50:XX at either IMAZ or IMC in 2009.

Eric swam D-1 at the University of Pittsburgh. Still holds several school records there. 4 time conference champion in the 1650.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Aug 17, 15 18:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Wow, great race!!! You had the 7th fastest swim overall with a 51:33, only 2:17 behind Brian Fleishmann's 49:16. This must be one of your best iron swims ever, maybe your fastest iron swim??? As others have asked, have you changed anything about your swim training, or did it all just finally come together??? Current 500 scy time??? In any event, great swim and great race!!!

If you look at the results list you will see that Eric S Limkemann - who was also in the race yesterday - went a 17:01 vs Rapp's 18:19.

AJ - Thanks for that link, this is very interesting: Limkemann was 1:18 ahead of Rapp in the 1650 yd, but then only 1:25 ahead in the 4225 yd iron swim, whereas i would've predicted (4225/1650) (1:18) = (2.56) (1.3 min) = 3.33 min or 3:20. I think the IMMT swim was a wetsuit-legal swim so that might be part of it, but of course monty is always pointing out how Jordan is such a "diesel" with his 5300 yd in the 1-hour swim (1:08/100 yd), IOW he was holding 18:41/1650 for a bit over three 1650s in a row. Put another way, Jordan averaged 1:06.6/100 yd for his 18:19.6 for the 1650 vs 1:07.9/100 yd in the hour swim. That's an amazingly low slow-down rate for swimming over three times as long/far:)

I looked around on Google to see if Fleishmann swam in college but didn't find any info. Do you know if Limkemann did???

Yes. He was a good D-3 miler. I want to say he swam at a Pennsylvania school... I know because he swam against my good friend Dano Wells, who swam for St. Johns.

I've swam 50:xx, but I bet the course was shorter (or timing mats placed closer). I swam 50:XX at either IMAZ or IMC in 2009.

Eric was 4x Big East Champion in the 1650 at Pitt. Not D3 at all. He's definitely a diesel engine too, no super hard effort to start the swim or bike when I've raced him at shorter stuff locally.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't push the run. You need to think of it like Dan's calorie balance for swimming. Slower swimmers are punished doubly because they not only work harder, but they do it for longer. //

I will accept that you think you did not push the run, even though you ran faster than anyone, and by a pretty good margin. Even the guys that are known to be better runners than you are.

But come on, you cannot compare someone a lot faster slowing down to someone who is working hard over similar time periods. If I swam an hour instead of 50 minutes in an ironman swim, I guarantee you, I would not be paying any calorie penalty, or any other kind, in fact, using less calories. Sure I would be in the water for 10 more minutes, but that is like saying if I sat in a pool for 3 hours, it would be harder than swimming 50 minutes. Think you need to rethink that line of logic.

Perhaps if you are going to keep swimming so fast, you should train you 7 minute mile running, you know, so you don't have to pay that penalty for coasting in for your wins.. (-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

Well, in any case, your 51:33 was great given the fact that first out was 49:08. I googled Limkemann and it looks like he swam at the U. of Pittsburgh. Won the Big East 500 and 1650 free titles 3 or 4 times each in his 4 years.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

No real changes since Joel and I sort of found what we thought was a good combo last summer. Being able to swim LCM all summer with the kids is a big help. But I think it was really just cumulative.

Don't know 500 time. Part of what we actually did change is that I don't think I really did ANY intervals longer than 150m/yds for eons. I do 3x1000 pull sometimes - and swim them hard - but long rest and that's a very different workout than say, 300s or 400s or 500s or long "intervals." 1000s aren't really intervals in that way...

20x100 on 1:40LCM best average was my best set. 1:15.5-9 for all (1:14.5 for last). Solo in the lane. That was about 4 weeks before IMMT.

That 20 x 100 LCM is very impressive. If you can find that "clean water" at Kona, you'll be golden:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
urbantriathlete wrote:
Congrats Jordan:

Thoughts on 1x11 with the 30 gearing - is there a max gradient or length of climb where you'd need to risk swapping the 54 for a 53? Conversely - will you go with 55 for Kona for the Hawi descent?
2:55 seems like a quick marathon given your lead, and it looks like you held consistent throughout. Were you more focused on nailing a solid run vs. saving the legs?

Well, this is one small disadvantage of 1x. You MUST choose an even number of teeth. So 52, 54, 56. At least if you want to stick with a narrow-wide chainring, which I do.
I've won most of my races on a 54... Seems like my "preferred" front ring. I'd go with a 56-11/32 if I was going to try anything different in Hawaii. But I think I'll go 54-11/30. Same as here.
I might go 54-11/32 for something with longer sustained hard climbs. But so far have never needed it. Even at Wildflower...
2:55... At some point, it's harder to run slow. I wanted to be done. On the second lap, I didn't ever push it. I just ran what was comfortable. I'd guess HR was high 130s... Treated it like a steady - but not too hard - long training session.

So, just out of sheer, sheer curiosity, why an even number??? I can't think of any reason why???

Once again, great race and best of luck in Kona!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The narrow-wide chainrings that Jordan uses are sized so that every other tooth is wider than normal, to better engage the chain on the wider links. If you had an odd number, after the first revolution, wide teeth would be slotting into narrow links and the chain would come off.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [neutron95] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
neutron95 wrote:
The narrow-wide chainrings that Jordan uses are sized so that every other tooth is wider than normal, to better engage the chain on the wider links. If you had an odd number, after the first revolution, wide teeth would be slotting into narrow links and the chain would come off.

Ah, i see, thanks for the explain. I guess i just don't keep up with bike tech enough:)

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

Eric swam D-1 at the University of Pittsburgh. Still holds several school records there. 4 time conference champion in the 1650.

Half-right. I can't believe I remembered Pennsylvania correctly. I though St Johns was D-3 for swimming but now that I think about it, duh, Big East. Half smart. Half moron. Typical...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did your dad make his flight?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on the win!

All of my questions have already been covered except for "How much Poutine?"
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the big win, Jordan. Great to see you back on top of an IM podium.

After having a pretty poor race at the 70.3 WC at Tremblant, did this race feel like a little bit of redemption?

I wasn't looking, but were there any good barns out on the bike course?

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your "sitting in a pool for 3 hours" example is obtuse. Sitting isn't propelling yourself against gravity and wind/water. Swimming is a non-impact sport. If you're capable of a 50-minute swim but choose to relax at 60, that's way different than someone whose fastest swim potential is 1:30 fighting tooth and nail.

I'm not a world-class runner, and I believe in running lots of easy miles, but I certainly relate to Rapp on this. I get more beat up running 3 miles at 9:30s with my friends than running 6 miles solo at ~8:00. That's because my easy pace is still faster than the average human's. So slowing down even further requires me to either consciously reduce my cadence or my stride length, which changes muscle recruitment and muscular/skeletal interaction. It's not totally unlike training at far above normal speed, which also generally results in muscle soreness and other aches, until your body acclimates to that set of stimuli.

Efficiency is a tricky thing. Read this: http://www.livescience.com/...g-pace-revealed.html
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [HardKnox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your "sitting in a pool for 3 hours" example is obtuse. Sitting isn't propelling yourself against gravity and wind/water. Swimming is a non-impact sport. If you're capable of a 50-minute swim but choose to relax at 60, that's way different than someone whose fastest swim potential is 1:30 fighting tooth and nail. //

A few things here. He brought up the swimming analogy, not me. I gave you my example of how is it not comparable, be swimming an hour instead of 50. I use the sitting for 3 hour just to hyper exaggerate my point, not to make it.

And I believe your example could be considered obtuse. I only advised that he run 20 or 30 seconds a mile slower, not minutes like your example. Slowing down a minute and a half is going to severely affect your running style, but 1/2 a minute, not so much. There are of course small considerations in form, but one presumes that runners in his category have run a lot of 7 minute miles in training, without falling apart.

At any rate he had other reasons for running that fast, and they could help him in Hawaii. Placebo can be very powerful, seems like he is taking that tact on many things, like his helmet and other component choices. They feel good, so they become good.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it's difficult to pinpoint where those 20-30 seconds start, if that makes sense. Like, does my "easy" range end closer to 8:59, or to 9:29? For somebody whose comfortable pace IS 6:55, dropping to 7:25s might totally wreck his form when he's working against the fatigue of an 8 hour day. But is 6:55 the slowest of his comfortable, or the fastest? He knows better than I.

Let's say he ran the second loop only :20/mile slower. That's 4.5 minutes slower, which is relatively huge (not so much on that day with a 20-minute lead). I'm sure he calculated the risk of jogging it in vs fully executing his plan. Looks like it worked, given his explanation of how good he felt the next day.

I'm not really calling you out. I'm just suggesting that slowtwitch crowd might not be best served by hyper-exaggerated examples. (Especially since, like me, everybody is going to disagree because of their own N=1 experience anyway.)
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Well, in any case, your 51:33 was great given the fact that first out was 49:08. I googled Limkemann and it looks like he swam at the U. of Pittsburgh. Won the Big East 500 and 1650 free titles 3 or 4 times each in his 4 years.

Limkemann never loses a swim. Frankly I was stunned when I saw Fleishman a minute up on him out of the water, ITU stud swimmer or no. I wonder when and how Fleishman gapped him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you pee in the woods?

Did you pee on a competitor?

Did you use a port-a-potty?

Chris Harris
Quote Reply

Prev Next