Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't forget that in the past Jordan has ran a 2:4x. One could easily argue that 2:55 *was* easy
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the 2nd lap of the bike, in the congested AG roads, do you:
1) Sling shot around each competitor with a mini draft-and-go?
2) Stay to the left ALWAYS because AG triathletes are terrible bike handlers and may spontaneously explode on course at any given time?

Once you took the lead on the bike, how was the lead vehicle/moto situation? In you way/out of the way?

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me add my congratulations to the many above. We look forward to many more victories to come.

Can you tell me what derailleur you are using for that 11-30 cassette and whether is it is mechanical or electric?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not related to this IM...but, how do you make those sweet potato fries in your IG pic from the 4th of July?! Those looked GOOD!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:

Frame bottle (which I lost on course) was an Elite. Seems to be the bottle of choice. Josh P said it tested well when Zipp tested it, so I bought it off eBay. Makes me feel good to see Jan use it and MANY others who are aerodynamically conscious.

Other than that, pretty much nothing new, though obviously a bunch of new stuff since I last won a race...

Okay, fire away...

So you should have been penalized 6 minutes for abandonment?

Congrats, good to see you back!

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
Limkemann never loses a swim. Frankly I was stunned when I saw Fleishman a minute up on him out of the water, ITU stud swimmer or no. I wonder when and how Fleishman gapped him.

That's just not true. There has been plenty of times where he hasn't been the first out of the water, but he is always in the front group. Last year at IMMT is probably the exception for that as he was dealing with some broken ribs and exited the water behind the front group.

If you watched the swim, Eric looked extremely relaxed and just about everyone else looked like they were giving it hell in the water (quick turnover, arms thrashing, etc). Eric has always been an extremely efficient swimmer since I've known him. I'm betting Eric took the swim a little easy as he didn't want to burn any matches in the swim. I'm sure Eric could have kept up with Brian had he wanted to but it's a long day out there and the last couple IM's Eric has crashed the last 10k of the run.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [spasmus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spasmus wrote:
Did your dad make his flight?

He did. He ended up moving his flight until later in the day so he could be at awards. Thanks for asking.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
Congratulations on the win!

All of my questions have already been covered except for "How much Poutine?"

just once after the race. I would have had more. Lots left undone... A reason to come back!

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
Congrats on the big win, Jordan. Great to see you back on top of an IM podium.

After having a pretty poor race at the 70.3 WC at Tremblant, did this race feel like a little bit of redemption?

I wasn't looking, but were there any good barns out on the bike course?

It felt like redemption in many ways, but knowing that this was a "good" course for me and not delivering on it last year was certainly a big one.

There are a TON of good barns out there. One of the best. Syracuse 70.3 is THE best for barns. IMO...

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [fe_dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fe_dad wrote:
Did you pee in the woods?

Did you pee on a competitor?

Did you use a port-a-potty?

Plead the 5th.

No.

No.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't want to derail (I guess that is not true) this thread but I would love to hear more about Erik's story. I just posted this in another thread but he may very well be the fastest pool swimmer ever ( in the 1650 ) to compete professionally in triathlon. But the thing is he was at his best early in his college career indicating an injury or burnout. And with the talent he has, I wonder, does he swim more than 2500 a week now?
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
On the 2nd lap of the bike, in the congested AG roads, do you:
1) Sling shot around each competitor with a mini draft-and-go?
2) Stay to the left ALWAYS because AG triathletes are terrible bike handlers and may spontaneously explode on course at any given time?

Once you took the lead on the bike, how was the lead vehicle/moto situation? In you way/out of the way?

Stay to the left ALWAYS. Slingshotting is, IMO, a good way to die.

Lead vehicle was WAY out front on the first lap. Some times when it got a bit close, but only rarely. They did a very good job.

On the second lap, the lead moto was quite far ahead. Actually, at times, too far because they are supposed to clear the way, but they were so far ahead that people didn't realize that I was following and just popped in right behind the moto. There were also some times when it was too close, too. But that's life. Overall, I'd say that vehicle influence was above average at this race. Could have been improved, as always, but considering that people really enjoyed the live coverage, that's part of the challenge.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Let me add my congratulations to the many above. We look forward to many more victories to come.

Can you tell me what derailleur you are using for that 11-30 cassette and whether is it is mechanical or electric?

Mechanical. Force CX1 with CeramicSpeed pulleys.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Les Paul 1959] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Les Paul 1959 wrote:
Not related to this IM...but, how do you make those sweet potato fries in your IG pic from the 4th of July?! Those looked GOOD!

You need one of these: http://progressiveintl.com/...ce-and-slice-chopper

Cube them up, toss with melted coconut oil, pumpkin pie spice, a little bit of cayenne for kick, salt, pepper.

Convection bake at 375F for about 45min.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
Rappstar wrote:

Frame bottle (which I lost on course) was an Elite. Seems to be the bottle of choice. Josh P said it tested well when Zipp tested it, so I bought it off eBay. Makes me feel good to see Jan use it and MANY others who are aerodynamically conscious.

Other than that, pretty much nothing new, though obviously a bunch of new stuff since I last won a race...

Okay, fire away...

So you should have been penalized 6 minutes for abandonment?

Congrats, good to see you back!

I should have been given a stop-and-go penalty for abandoned equipment. 6 minute penalty is only for intentional littering. I lost the bottle when I hit a bump. I was right near some volunteers (though not an aid station), and I actually saw that they had collected my bottle when I had returned. By the end of the race they had a LOT of bottles, so I think for next year they maybe out to put some plywood over that particular expansion gap.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
kny wrote:
Limkemann never loses a swim. Frankly I was stunned when I saw Fleishman a minute up on him out of the water, ITU stud swimmer or no. I wonder when and how Fleishman gapped him.

That's just not true. There has been plenty of times where he hasn't been the first out of the water, but he is always in the front group. Last year at IMMT is probably the exception for that as he was dealing with some broken ribs and exited the water behind the front group.

If you watched the swim, Eric looked extremely relaxed and just about everyone else looked like they were giving it hell in the water (quick turnover, arms thrashing, etc). Eric has always been an extremely efficient swimmer since I've known him. I'm betting Eric took the swim a little easy as he didn't want to burn any matches in the swim. I'm sure Eric could have kept up with Brian had he wanted to but it's a long day out there and the last couple IM's Eric has crashed the last 10k of the run.

Yes. I really have no idea what Brian was thinking. We had a really nice group on the way out. Eric was leading setting a nice pace, Brian was in 2nd, Paul in 3rd, and me in 4th. Justin Daerr was with us early, but got dropped (I think) at about 1500m in.

As we made the first turn, Brian shot to the front and jacked the pace like the race was starting all over again. Eric made the - IMO - wise decision to just hold his pace. But that huge surge gapped Paul. I came around Paul, but not fast enough to close the gap (not sure I could have anyway). Paul sat on my feet for maybe 500m or so to recover and then came around me. He came around on my right, and I breathe left, so I didn't notice right away until he already had a gap.

Maybe Flelsihman gets a bonus for first out of the water, but otherwise, I really don't understand his tactics. Eric, on the other hand, paced it like someone who has a lot of experience pacing smartly. I am SURE he could have come out with Fleishman, but he wisely thought about where he wanted to end the day, not where he wanted to end the swim.

For a guy who was, at one time, really "just a swimmer," Eric's progression as an overall triathlete is quite impressive.

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
I don't want to derail (I guess that is not true) this thread but I would love to hear more about Erik's story. I just posted this in another thread but he may very well be the fastest pool swimmer ever ( in the 1650 ) to compete professionally in triathlon. But the thing is he was at his best early in his college career indicating an injury or burnout. And with the talent he has, I wonder, does he swim more than 2500 a week now?

I know he coaches a lot. I hope he comes on and answers. But I get the sense from his twitter posts that he mostly does "maintenance" training in the water and invests most time in the areas with big improvements - bike and run.

We need a thread with lifetime best 1650 times for all the American pros... Mine is 18:19 in 2014. One of my proudest races.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How is the ventilation on the POC helmet? Looks a lot like the Kask Bambino but no visible vents. Do you find it easier to run off the Dimond than the Shiv?

--

Straightenin' the curves; Flattenin' the hills
------------------------------------------------------------
Coached by Mike Plumb @ TriPower MultiSports
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1149072 - https://www.instagram.com/thoswoods/
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:

Did Potts swim the 1650? It looks like Limkemann's collegiate best was 15:13. Chip Berry, who won the swim at LP a few times as a top amateur, had Penn States school record for a number of years with 15:20.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan is dead on about the way the swim went down. I actually had to fight a lot of urges on the swim and the bike not to go harder than my plan. When Brian went I stayed on him for a bit but came to my senses. A similar senario occurred when Jordan came by on the bike. I promised myself to ride at 290 to avoid run issues but it sure was tempting to jump on his wheel. My run still faded a bit but I think it was a good plan. I still need a bit more experience to really show off my run fitness but it's coming...

Also, Andy could take me in a 1650 any day in his prime. 15:13 is good, but not great. I currently swim 20k/week and am right around 16:30 for a stand alone 1650.

Back to the thread... Jordan:
1. Do you have any guilt making the rest of the field look so bad?
2. Did you also get a big goofy grin every time the Dimond hit the descents at full speed?

Fantastic banquet speech btw!

--------------------------------------------------------
machines don't win races, muscles do.
Last edited by: EricLimkemann: Aug 18, 15 10:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

I know he coaches a lot. I hope he comes on and answers. But I get the sense from his twitter posts that he mostly does "maintenance" training in the water and invests most time in the areas with big improvements - bike and run.

We need a thread with lifetime best 1650 times for all the American pros... Mine is 18:19 in 2014. One of my proudest races.

Congrats on this. This would equate into a sub 24 min 1.2 mile swim. What do you think you need to do to convert the pool swimming into a 23.xx or sub 50 IM swim? It seems like it is just a matter of bringing that ability to an open water race scenario, or do you think you are a better flat water pool swimmer than a rough water open water swimmer. Does your stroke rate/stroke length change pool vs open water?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
18:19 is nothing to sneeze at to be sure, and I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but Andy Potts might shut that thread down from what I can find...15:11.76 from 1997 NCAA's.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
18:19 is nothing to sneeze at to be sure, and I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but Andy Potts might shut that thread down from what I can find...15:11.76 from 1997 NCAAs.

Assuming we're talking about "all pros past and present", Lars Jorgenson went 15:10 for 1500 LCM at the '88 Trials. He had the fastest swim at Kona 2 or 3 times in the mid-90s.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Great to see you win. It would be even more fun to watch you, T.O. Potts and Hoffman battle it out for all 3 podium spots in October....

You're bike looks great and given that, why don't you offer "that" build on your website? Seems the best we can buy is the premium, but that version does not have a disk or power meter?

Well, maybe Rapp, TO, Potts and Hoffmann can battle it out with Boecherer, Frommhold and Stein for the 3rd podium spot in October behind Frodeno and Kienle ;-)

Achim Traut
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Assuming we're talking about "all pros past and present", Lars Jorgenson went 15:10 for 1500 LCM at the '88 Trials. He had the fastest swim at Kona 2 or 3 times in the mid-90s. //

I put this in the other thread, but will also put it here since we have gone off tangent:

As someone else stated, Lars Jorgensen definitely had a faster PR, but then again he was never a pro triathlete. I'm sure there are many, many faster, but also not pro triathletes. So to your question;

In may day there were maybe 5 or 6 that were around that fast, or even faster, and all pro triathletes. Of course you have to extrapolate a little bit on what each swam and in what era. For example, did Eric do his swim in the cheater suits? He certainly did it in more recent times that the guys I raced, their PR's would have been in the 70's and early 80's. And some did not swim the mile, but like the 500 or 400IM, or even backstroke.

So off the top of my head, Paul Donahue who was a CA guy that swam distance, and I believe at one point was the fastest OW swimmer in the world. For sure was in the ball park, maybe even faster.

Rob Mackle, an Indiana swimmer during the hey day. Think his specialty was the 500, went low 4;20's. So probably extrapolate that out to low 15's for the mile too.

Wolfgang Deittrich, a German pro that had a lot of success at hawaii, and everywhere else. He was a 400 IM'er, went mid 4;20's for LCM. Also the only guy to come out on Lars Jorgensen's feet in hawaii when we was setting those 46+ records.

Djan Madruga,was a Brazilian olympic swimmer, and as far as i know the real fastest ever pro triathlete swimmer. In the mid 70's he was on olympic teams and I believe had PR's in the 400LCM of around 3;53, 800LCM under 8 minutes, and around 15;15 for the 1500LCM. He moved to my area after the 70's to swim at Mission Viejo with the likes of Brian Goodell, who I think was the only guy beating him. Brian did 15;01 I believe, and that was in the cave man days of swimming pools, suits, and such. You could lop off 10 seconds at least for modern advances. I think he got 4th in the 400 in the olympics once, and even swam backstroke and the 400IM. Think he was mid to low 4;20's in the IM, don't know his back times, but he swam some big meets doing that stroke, including the olympics i believe, so had to be pretty fast.

He was a really great guy and fried of mine, and I believe was the one to bring the first Ironman to Brazil. He also was top 3 a couple times in the national olympic distance champs in hilton head I believe, so certainly a pro back in the 80's. If someone beats those times, I want to see it on paper! (-;
Last edited by: monty: Aug 18, 15 12:22
Quote Reply

Prev Next