Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations Jordan! Would you please post your acceptance speech on your website, so we all can enjoy it?

Thanks,
Sharon

Festina Lente
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [docpeachey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a pro to a poor age grouper with hopes of getting faster, what would you say is the best bang for your $ or time? Joining a tri club, masters swim, a coach, [pink font] race wheels [/pink font], etc?
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Li0nel1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did Specialized reach out to you after your win?
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just wanted to jump on and say congrats on a great race.

I was happy to see you knock it out of the park. It's a great course that suits you really well!

Best in Kona.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, congrats on another IM win.

Your "ad astra per aspera" speech after winning IM Canada 2011 was inspirational. Should we be looking for copies of the remarks you made after IMMT?

Jed

"If you want to ride by the Force, you had better make sure that you are a real Jedi." - FastYellow (6/13/2011)
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

Assuming we're talking about "all pros past and present", Lars Jorgenson went 15:10 for 1500 LCM at the '88 Trials. He had the fastest swim at Kona 2 or 3 times in the mid-90s. //
I put this in the other thread, but will also put it here since we have gone off tangent:
As someone else stated, Lars Jorgensen definitely had a faster PR, but then again he was
never a pro triathlete.
monty wrote:

Monty - I hate to dispute you but I pulled out my old race results from the '97 and '98 Memphis in May triathlons, and Lars most definitely did race as a pro in those two years. In '97 he finished 8th out of 21 pros with a 1:52:41, 5:11 behind Mark Bates's winning time of 1:47:30. In '98, he was 16th of 25 pros in 1:57:55, 8:34 behind Vic Perini's 1:49:21.

Using the Swimswam time conversion tool, Lars's 15:10.13 LCM converts to a 14:52.28 for SCY.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Last edited by: ericmulk: Aug 18, 15 20:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats again. You put on a real clinic. I can't say I enjoyed the class, but you sure had me captivated. I read your blog after IMTX and you sounded like you were losing a bit of the desire to continue to pursue high performance triathlon. Hopefully this renews the drive.

I am curious as to what your peak weekly training volume is. I am also curious as to what your longest bike and runs are. Finally, I am curious what your longest continuous workout is.

Also, do you do anything for heat acclimatization?

http://www.lsanderstri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan,
Congratulations on your win. I rank you up there with other great sportsmen and comebackers.
Just curious, because I've been out of the loop for a while, did you solve your gut issues? What did you do?

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benjamin Sanson was low 15's.

monty wrote:

Assuming we're talking about "all pros past and present", Lars Jorgenson went 15:10 for 1500 LCM at the '88 Trials. He had the fastest swim at Kona 2 or 3 times in the mid-90s. //

I put this in the other thread, but will also put it here since we have gone off tangent:

As someone else stated, Lars Jorgensen definitely had a faster PR, but then again he was never a pro triathlete. I'm sure there are many, many faster, but also not pro triathletes. So to your question;

In may day there were maybe 5 or 6 that were around that fast, or even faster, and all pro triathletes. Of course you have to extrapolate a little bit on what each swam and in what era. For example, did Eric do his swim in the cheater suits? He certainly did it in more recent times that the guys I raced, their PR's would have been in the 70's and early 80's. And some did not swim the mile, but like the 500 or 400IM, or even backstroke.

So off the top of my head, Paul Donahue who was a CA guy that swam distance, and I believe at one point was the fastest OW swimmer in the world. For sure was in the ball park, maybe even faster.

Rob Mackle, an Indiana swimmer during the hey day. Think his specialty was the 500, went low 4;20's. So probably extrapolate that out to low 15's for the mile too.

Wolfgang Deittrich, a German pro that had a lot of success at hawaii, and everywhere else. He was a 400 IM'er, went mid 4;20's for LCM. Also the only guy to come out on Lars Jorgensen's feet in hawaii when we was setting those 46+ records.

Djan Madruga,was a Brazilian olympic swimmer, and as far as i know the real fastest ever pro triathlete swimmer. In the mid 70's he was on olympic teams and I believe had PR's in the 400LCM of around 3;53, 800LCM under 8 minutes, and around 15;15 for the 1500LCM. He moved to my area after the 70's to swim at Mission Viejo with the likes of Brian Goodell, who I think was the only guy beating him. Brian did 15;01 I believe, and that was in the cave man days of swimming pools, suits, and such. You could lop off 10 seconds at least for modern advances. I think he got 4th in the 400 in the olympics once, and even swam backstroke and the 400IM. Think he was mid to low 4;20's in the IM, don't know his back times, but he swam some big meets doing that stroke, including the olympics i believe, so had to be pretty fast.

He was a really great guy and fried of mine, and I believe was the one to bring the first Ironman to Brazil. He also was top 3 a couple times in the national olympic distance champs in hilton head I believe, so certainly a pro back in the 80's. If someone beats those times, I want to see it on paper! (-;
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Low 15s SCM or LCM???

Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LCM.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
LCM.

Really??? Well, in that case, he and Lars are prob pretty close to tied:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of saddle bag did you have behind your saddle? It looks like you have the gorilla cage attached to the saddle bag. Is that correct?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Rappstar and All,

Great race!

Decisive win ....

Thanks for answering questions.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
trimac2 wrote:
Great race! Congrats! What was your nutrition plan on race day?

My normal pre-race breakfast. With some very slight tweaks.
- bottle of Ultragen made with chocolate almond milk
- banana
- 2x Envirokidz rice krispy bar
- 6x laughing giraffe snackaroons (they made them smaller, so it's 1.5 to a serving now instead of 1)

That's about 1200 calories.

Bike:
2x24oz bottles with 8 scoops EFS pro on bike. I had my Elite bottle with 10 scoops in it, but I lost that early on, so I drank more gatorade to make up for the extra calories.
2x21oz bottles with 6 scoops EFS pro in special needs.
Drank 4 bottles of gatorade.

That's about 1700 calories

Coke and Gatorade at every aid station on run.

Can you detail breakfast & nutrition timing pre/during race (including dinner day before)? Thanks! And great race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations Jordan! I've long been a fan of yours and believe you're perspective on our sport is refreshing. I just finished reading your Beam Bike article in Lava this am before seeing your result. Always find anything and everything you write to be beneficial. Glad to see you're back especially after a few tough races and I hope you had a smile on your face the whole way to your victory.

My question(s) if I may are ...
With you being a known strong biker, did you find any point on the tough Tremblant course where your 1x system was a hinderance? (assuming you kept your typical setup)
Do you think somebody who is less formidable on the bike would have difficulty with such a system?
Last but not least, what was the best equipment choice you made for this race?

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on a great race!

Can I ask where you are getting your Vredestein latex tubes from?
I'm struggling to find ones with the 32mm valve.

Cheers

Phil
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the dimond really faster than your old Shiv?
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cshowe80 wrote:
Do you think somebody who is less formidable on the bike would have difficulty with such a system?

Yes. I think most ager's would need a 34/36x28 on that course. Even a 39x28 is considerably smaller than a 50x32.

I averaged 3.9 w/kg on that course at 70.3 worlds last year, climbed at probably 4.3 w/kg, and definitely needed the 39x28 on the climbs at the end.

Quote | Reply
Congrats!
What was your taper like? 2 weeks (or less)? Did you go down by a certain percentage? Intensities, etc.? Thanks for doing this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats Rappstar!
I remember leading you to the finish for IM NYC when i was the bike volunteer leading you. You had a great run.

So my question, how did you train when your kids were younger? Being a new dad now, I feel that training takes time away from my daughter which is the utmost important. I didn't sign up for an IM this year or next (trying for next child soon).

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [More Cowbell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More Cowbell wrote:
How is the ventilation on the POC helmet? Looks a lot like the Kask Bambino but no visible vents. Do you find it easier to run off the Dimond than the Shiv?

--

ventilation on the POC is surprisingly good. I'm not sure how. But it gets good flow. Really a great helmet.

I don't really notice much difference between the two. I might on really rough roads, but even there, I feel like you can be judicious in your tire pressure selection. That said, I've never had issues running off any bike, so I'm not sure I'm the best person to ask this. I feel I run equally well of both bikes which are the same as my nosecone Shiv which was the same as my Transition which was the same as my DA.

For sure you notice the damping of the beam on rough roads, but Tremblant has outstanding pavement.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [EricLimkemann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EricLimkemann wrote:
Jordan is dead on about the way the swim went down. I actually had to fight a lot of urges on the swim and the bike not to go harder than my plan. When Brian went I stayed on him for a bit but came to my senses. A similar senario occurred when Jordan came by on the bike. I promised myself to ride at 290 to avoid run issues but it sure was tempting to jump on his wheel. My run still faded a bit but I think it was a good plan. I still need a bit more experience to really show off my run fitness but it's coming...

Also, Andy could take me in a 1650 any day in his prime. 15:13 is good, but not great. I currently swim 20k/week and am right around 16:30 for a stand alone 1650.

Back to the thread... Jordan:
1. Do you have any guilt making the rest of the field look so bad?
2. Did you also get a big goofy grin every time the Dimond hit the descents at full speed?

Fantastic banquet speech btw!

1. Until the last 10km, I was still running with some fear. We've all seen Ironman blowups. So it wasn't intentional. That said, no, I don't feel bad. Wink

2. I'm a very tentative descender. I much prefer uphill to downhill. That said, on the first lap, railing the Duplessie descent was wicked fun...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything About Ironman Mont-Tremblant 2015 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
I don't want to derail (I guess that is not true) this thread but I would love to hear more about Erik's story. I just posted this in another thread but he may very well be the fastest pool swimmer ever ( in the 1650 ) to compete professionally in triathlon. But the thing is he was at his best early in his college career indicating an injury or burnout. And with the talent he has, I wonder, does he swim more than 2500 a week now?

I know he coaches a lot. I hope he comes on and answers. But I get the sense from his twitter posts that he mostly does "maintenance" training in the water and invests most time in the areas with big improvements - bike and run.

We need a thread with lifetime best 1650 times for all the American pros... Mine is 18:19 in 2014. One of my proudest races.

Congrats on this. This would equate into a sub 24 min 1.2 mile swim. What do you think you need to do to convert the pool swimming into a 23.xx or sub 50 IM swim? It seems like it is just a matter of bringing that ability to an open water race scenario, or do you think you are a better flat water pool swimmer than a rough water open water swimmer. Does your stroke rate/stroke length change pool vs open water?

What I really need is to swim in a competitive open water environment regularly with other world class triathletes. Like I did when I trained with Simon. But that's not practical. I can probably find a way to do it in blocks, but doubtfully consistently enough. So until then, it's just continuing to chip away in the pool.

Quote Reply

Prev Next