Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, Relegation affects automatic invites, now I see

I'm kinda new to this, as it's never really been highlighted in the past, or have I just missed it?

"Hey? Where did Team _____ go?"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TotalEnergies is currently a "UCI ProTeam" (along with 16 other teams including Alpecin-Deceuninck and Arkea-Samsic), one step below being a "UCI WorldTeam". They probably didn't seriously worry about gaining promotion to WorldTeam status (unlike Alpecin-Deceuninck and Arkea-Samsic). TotalEnergies will still get wildcard invites to the races they want to participate in, while not having to spend money going to some races that WorldTeam teams are required to participate in.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
TotalEnergies is currently a "UCI ProTeam" (along with 16 other teams including Alpecin-Deceuninck and Arkea-Samsic),

Good point, I forgot that TE can't be relegated, since they're not World Tour anyway.

When's the actual relegation date? I'm wondering if EF will get Carapaz' massive points haul before or after? I assume after. My understanding is that points follow the rider, not the team.
Last edited by: trail: Sep 13, 22 7:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks & thanks

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
When's the actual relegation date? I'm wondering if EF will get Carapaz' massive points haul before or after? I assume after. My understanding is that points follow the rider, not the team.

The last race on the schedule with points available (AFAIK) is Le Tour de Langkawi, finishing on Oct 18th, but I'm not sure if that's when the axe will fall.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/554030098395824166/990319689618042920/unknown.png

Dylan Teuns transferred to IPT mid-season, but his points earned earlier this year with BV won't help IPT. It must be the same for Carapaz and EF, regardless of whether he's "assigned" to EF this year or not until 2023.

Teuns' 2022 points haul of 1,068 won't count towards Israel-Premier Tech's 2022 total, however, and he'll now need to score 120 or more to make it into the team's top 10 scorers in order for his points to count come the end of the season.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dylan-teuns-leaves-bahrain-victorious-with-immediate-effect/

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MvdP quietly having himself a nice build-up for World's. I hate to use the "dark horse" moniker on him, as he's almost always a contender, but there are some nasty climbs that will hurt after 250 kms. Effectively a Liege-like course, with a climb comparable to St. Nicholas climbed 12x during the race.

Last edited by: echappist: Sep 14, 22 9:11
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
MvdP quietly having himself a nice build-up for World's.

Tie in to the relegation battle.

MvdP wins GP de Wallonie today. (Hirschi wins Giro della Toscana.)

Lotto picked up more points at these two one-day races (125 *) than they did at the Vuelta (8). (Not a bad plan if you're chasing points to send cannon fodder to the 3-week GT races while saving your A-team for some one-day 1.Pro and 1.1 UCI races that won't have the same level of competition.)

* Edit to add: Lotto riders who finished outside the top ten at GP de Wallonie (Gilbert, Campenaerts, and Moniquet) earned another 50 points.

Last edited by: Alvin Tostig: Sep 14, 22 13:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quiet days (for some) in cycling as we get ready for Worlds. But the struggle to avoid relegation continues.

I'll admit, I've never followed the Primus Classic, a 1.Pro race. (I guess you can call yourself a "classic" after 12 years.) Saturday's race could be fun. 200km in Belgium with some lumpy terrain, cobbles, and a WX forecast that's sounds dreary. MvdP is a late scratch, but it's a pretty strong field. Loto Soudal are bringing De Lie and Campenaerts looking for UCI points. Interesting to see QS bringing both Jakobsen and Cavendish. If it ends up being a sprint finish it will be fun with Demare, Groenewegen, and Bol (among others) also in the race.

https://cyclingmole.com/2022/09/16/2022-primus-classic-preview/

https://firstcycling.com/race.php?r=168&y=2022&k=8

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
Quiet days (for some) in cycling as we get ready for Worlds. But the struggle to avoid relegation continues.

I'll admit, I've never followed the Primus Classic, a 1.Pro race. (I guess you can call yourself a "classic" after 12 years.) Saturday's race could be fun. 200km in Belgium with some lumpy terrain, cobbles, and a WX forecast that's sounds dreary. MvdP is a late scratch, but it's a pretty strong field. Loto Soudal are bringing De Lie and Campenaerts looking for UCI points. Interesting to see QS bringing both Jakobsen and Cavendish. If it ends up being a sprint finish it will be fun with Demare, Groenewegen, and Bol (among others) also in the race.

https://cyclingmole.com/2022/09/16/2022-primus-classic-preview/

https://firstcycling.com/race.php?r=168&y=2022&k=8

Your basic Belgian Brawl. Nothing better. The tight roads and weather make it classic.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Your basic Belgian Brawl. Nothing better. The tight roads and weather make it classic.

Speaking of Belgian Brawls, I didn't realize cross starts this weekend too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tobias Foss TT world champion.

That was unexpected. Only Kung and Evenepoel in the same post code. What happened to Ganna?
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [ianmo80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What happened to Ganna?

Not a constant power course...was on/off with all the corners and the rises. When I checked the courses out in April, everyone was talking about Ramah Avenue on the RR loop (not in the TT) but my whole group said "why didn't anyone mention Dumfries too?"

NB Rama IS tough...I think harder than Koppenberg and the elite men go up in 12x (just after Dumfries....and there's another steep rise just after Ramah.
Last edited by: rmba: Sep 18, 22 0:40
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [rmba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should have still been well within Ganna’s capability to compete, or at least come close.

Wonder how much the Vuelta took out of Evenepoel, almost perfect timing for Foss. Still, good for a Norwegian to win, since it’s my current homeland!

Do Uno X get world tour points for that?
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [ianmo80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Still, good for a Norwegian to win, since it’s my current homeland!
...and more 'Norwegian method' (after Blu, Iden and Ingebrentsen).

Quote:
Do Uno X get world tour points for that?
No....even if he was with them (He's Jumbo Visma). No points at Worlds is why several teams don't want their riders to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ouch. Magnus Sheffield crashing during the Worlds ITT. Gets back on his bike and finishes 17th.

I'd have been done for the day, and probably for the next few days, after crashing like that.

https://twitter.com/...ed-in-crash-video%2F

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rmba wrote:
...and more 'Norwegian method' (after Blu, Iden and Ingebrentsen).

Does he actually use Norwegian method, or is he just Norwegian?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:

I'd have been done for the day, and probably for the next few days, after crashing like that.

Crashing is so darn random. Sometimes you crash like that and pop back up to finish 17th, sometimes you're out for 3 surgeries and six months along with lifetime TBI issues.

Good to see the barriers work somewhat as intended. Stopping the rider, but also having a good amount of give.
Last edited by: trail: Sep 18, 22 8:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure looked to me like his face took brunt of the impact. Kinda amazed he bounced up to continue. Oh, to be young again.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rmba wrote:
Quote:
What happened to Ganna?

Not a constant power course...was on/off with all the corners and the rises. When I checked the courses out in April, everyone was talking about Ramah Avenue on the RR loop (not in the TT) but my whole group said "why didn't anyone mention Dumfries too?"

NB Rama IS tough...I think harder than Koppenberg and the elite men go up in 12x (just after Dumfries....and there's another steep rise just after Ramah.

Is "Ramah Avenue" and "NB Rama" the same thing that media accounts call Mt. Pleasant? What is local name for the climb?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Does he actually use Norwegian method, or is he just Norwegian?

No idea, was speaking in *pink*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rmba wrote:

No idea, was speaking in *pink*

I figured. :) But still interesting, as whatever Jumbo-Visma is doing, seems to be working. In addition to the known capabilites of WvA and Roglic, Vingegaard (cleary), Laporte, Affini, and Foss all advanced in stature this year. And they've clearly surpassed Ineos as the team that knows how to prepare its guys for a TT. Maybe it's all Cervelo. :)
Last edited by: trail: Sep 18, 22 13:29
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Is "Ramah Avenue" and "NB Rama" the same thing that media accounts call Mt. Pleasant? What is local name for the climb?

Yes, Ramah Avenue (does have an h) is in the suburb of Mt Pleasant and I’m pretty sure the geographical description of what you’re going up. I live 3 hours ride north so am not entirely sure what the real locals call it.

It’s a suburban street and less than a 100 people had ridden it in when I rode up in April. There are 2 Strava segments that mostly cover it : Ramah rampage misses some of it and the one with Mt Pleasant in the title has a flat bit at the start (too long).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s clearly the Cervelos and ketones.

J-V is super stacked with talent. And what’s impressive is its a combo of acquiring known talent like WvA and to a lesser degree, LaPorte and Benoot. AND fostering it like Vingegaardner, Sepp, Foss and of course Roglic.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh man, the magpies (technically not actual corvids, just lookalikes) are no joke, with quite a few riders swooped
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotta put your Varia on your helmet
Quote Reply

Prev Next