Prev Next
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oof, this final wall is brutal.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
JV gets star guys to do the team thing and it appears to be working.

See: World Champ

ETA Good grief Remco looks great.
Last edited by: WannaB: Aug 28, 22 8:18
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and Nino #10

and i need to add Pauline got #4
Last edited by: heyMartin: Aug 28, 22 15:48
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [heyMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Donno if anyone saw the finish of Plouay, but that was a chaotic final sprint (down hill run-in from 1km to ~500m to go, followed by rise to the line)

Winner did quite a swerve, but fortunately, didn't take out anyone. 5th place finisher was also all over the road...

So much for rules ensuring safety
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For a while now we've been hearing that Remco can't handle the really steep climbs. Guess he's been practicing!
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
For a while now we've been hearing that Remco can't handle the really steep climbs. Guess he's been practicing!

I stand corrected, for now. He crushed it today.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Donno if anyone saw the finish of Plouay, but that was a chaotic final sprint (down hill run-in from 1km to ~500m to go, followed by rise to the line)

Winner did quite a swerve, but fortunately, didn't take out anyone. 5th place finisher was also all over the road...

So much for rules ensuring safety

I didn't see anything dangerous. Wout (and then Kamp) both moved out from behind people into clear space to be able to sprint. Didn't impede anyone.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
eb wrote:

Oh, I wasn't directing that at you; just replying to the thread.

I still think a Remco implosion is a distinct possibility (IIRC you think so too). But with a weakened JV and a scattered Ineos it's hard to say who will be there to take advantage. Maybe Movistar? Seems unlikely.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [heyMartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know it is gossiping, but Pauline was dating Vincent Luis for some time before she engaged to Absalon, yes?

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Last edited by: juanillo: Aug 29, 22 4:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
I still think a Remco implosion is a distinct possibility (IIRC you think so too). But with a weakened JV and a scattered Ineos it's hard to say who will be there to take advantage. Maybe Movistar? Seems unlikely.

Yeah, it's a bit suspenseful. Remco certainly has one more test to pass - we've seen Simon Yates dominate two weeks, etc. This year we've been blessed with good, competitive racing in the Grand Tours.

Quick-Step has been admirably all-for-one around Remco. Gotta hand it to Alaphillipe that he's completely subordinated his own ambition. Unlike Valverde in past years who'd play games with his GC leaders.

Ineos has so many good riders you have to think they'll try to spring ambushes at the first sign of weakness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let’s hope No Mas is renamed Plenty Mas and is able to put Remco to the sword.

2nd day riding in Bormio. Yesterday was Gavia > Mortirolo, 65 miles and 9.5k of climbing. Today was Stelvio > into Switzerland and down the Umbrial > Stelvio, about 63 miles and 10.5 of climbing. It’s ridiculous here—unbelievable roads and views. And I’ll add the Swiss are way better road engineers than Italians; Umbrial is most fun descent I’ve ever done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
McNulty wrote:
eb wrote:

Oh, I wasn't directing that at you; just replying to the thread.

No sweat. In fact, I think he can handle the steeps but I still think he's too explosive for his own good sometimes. Still not really seeing him going for 3 weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sooner or later he will win a GT...Tomorrow he is going to put Roglic more time...
Enric is going to lose too much ground in the TT so Ayuso and Rodriguez will surpass him. See if Tao does fine cause he can fight for the podium as well.

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Last edited by: juanillo: Aug 29, 22 15:30
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
sooner or later he will win a GT...Tomorrow he is going to put Roglic more time...
Enric is going to lose too much ground in the TT so Ayuso and Rodriguez will surpass him. See if Tao does fine cause he can fight for the podium as well.

Mas isn't *that* bad at TT. I'd be a little surprised if he gave up a full minute to Ayuso and Rodriquez. Though it's possible we haven't seen either do full tilt boogie in an ITT yet given domestiques often cruise-control stage race TTs.

And Roglic and Remco would be about a wash (Roglic edged out Remco at Tirreno earlier this year). But I agree Roglic is clearly a percent or three off his usual peak.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:

Mas will do fine even though he might lose time tomorrow; he's a proven GT rider. Ayuso and Rodriguez are fine young riders, and may well beat Mas in the TT, but I'll bet they fade in the 3rd week. It's their first GT after all. Both are very talented, and both have a very bright future. It's great to see these guys doing well!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I check the CN live report for the races they cover every now and then. From today's ITT stage at the Vuelta.

07:05:07
Froome sets a time of 38:12. He clearly wasn't going full gas.

Maybe that's all he's got these days.

08:30:37
Alejandro Valverde also starts his final Grand Tour TT.
He will finally end his career this year. Some say that's a pity.

Sort of clever.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rog already looks like he’s fighting the bike while Remco is flying.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Rog already looks like he’s fighting the bike while Remco is flying.

Looks like Remco's gonna take it, but Roglic isn't doing bad at all.

Edit: Wow, the always enigmatic "superman" having a great ride.

Oof, Almeida a great ride too. Almost.
Last edited by: trail: Aug 30, 22 8:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vuelta is surely Remco's to lose now?

Everyone else gets to fine-tune his form for World's and Lombardia.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
~55.5 km/hr for Remco. Non-technical, flat course, but still bananas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
“Hope is not a strategy”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
~55.5 km/hr for Remco. Non-technical, flat course, but still bananas.

It is insane how fast he can go given how small he is (5'7'' and about 130 lbs).

Is his Vuelta to lose. The only potential weakness I can think of is that he has not done well on the third week just yet, but it might just be a matter of developing as a rider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What?!!! A Belgian hasn't won a GT since '78?!!!

Did I hear that right?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He’s got 2:41 on Roglic and 3:03 on Mas. With his steady power the gap is almost enough that all he has to do is stay within himself. He can ship some time, just not blow up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
He’s got 2:41 on Roglic and 3:03 on Mas. With his steady power the gap is almost enough that all he has to do is stay within himself. He can ship some time, just not blow up.

Everyone else could turn on him the way people attacked Dumoulin at the 2015 Vuelta.

I donno the stage profiles that well, but any of stages 18-20 could work. Would work even better if any of the intermediate climbs have technical descents.
Quote Reply

Prev Next