Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Sulliesbrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sulliesbrew wrote:
McGill is a character, never heard of him until listening to the Bonk Bros podcast.

I can say with a straight face that I did a better EMX-ITT than he in a stage race (30 seconds on finishing time of ~20 minutes).

Of course, on the ensuing stage, he handled his bike on the 8-corner hilly crit like a veteran CX racer, whereas I was as about as comfortable as the Schlecks when put under pressure on a descent. Pretty amazing how he just rode a bunch of really strong Cat-3s off of his wheel by punching the climb and some dare-devil descending.

Also was the signal that I was getting too cautious to be any good at technical crit racing.
Last edited by: echappist: Sep 1, 22 8:25
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
trail wrote:
Remco showing a bit of his immaturity complaining about motos when he clearly just slid out his front wheel.

Bad gravity, it happens dude

"Shit happens" Remco

Exactly

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Remco showing a bit of his immaturity complaining about motos when he clearly just slid out his front wheel.

Missed that and the hematoma event.

I'm still looking for a Rempop, or a Remplode, even more so now with the hematoma. Those things tighten up and get super sore and no Tramadol train to get on these days.
He's being stoic now, but losing the LFF and now this ain't good. Guys are strong behind him.

I'm shorting him, and Stupidman and bullish on C Rod, Si Mas, Almeida and Rog, who I think is getting better all the time.

And Wilco. Where would we be without wishful thinking?
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's nice to see Carapaz showing some form! He was pretty cagy, laying low in the break most of the day. Didn't show his hand until the one big attack. Sweet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Between Rodriguez and Mas (and perhaps to a lesser extent, Ayuso) I imagine Spain is getting excited about the possibilities. Fun Vuelta for them with a host of Spaniards ready to pounce if Remco and Roglic blow, and you could see that happening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

Was that complaint made during the race?

I ask because in the interview after the race which I heard on GCN (Remco speaking in English), he was very calm and composed and seemed to accept blame.

He's quoted after the race in cyclingnews, as follows:

Quote:
“My bike was much worse off than myself. It was a super slippery corner, and I think the motorbikes were slipping as well and slowing down. That’s why I wanted to cut the corner, but it was a bit too much. Sorry for my words, but shit happens,” Evenepoel said.
“I think the south of Spain is known for slippery roads when it’s not wet. When I saw my hand, my arm and my leg, they were completely black, so there must have been a lot of oil and grease on the road. I think it was a bit of a typical crash, a bit the same as Julian had yesterday, but that’s life. I just could not do anything: the front wheel went off and at that speed you cannot control it.”

LOL, the sorry for my words part. Maybe he's referencing words immediately after the crash.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:

Was that complaint made during the race?

It was Vande Velde's speculation. When Remco was passing the commissaire's car while getting back to the peloton, he was clearly upset about something, gesticulating in obvious frustration. I couldn't quite hear, but CVV said it was complaining about motos.

And on rewatching it, I take back my comment about Remco. It looked like the leaders of the peloton on the could have been slow in the turn by the camera moto right in front of them. And Remco was in the top 5 or so. Having to brake in a turn is certainly a good way to slide out your front wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just rewatched. Thought Vande Velde made
more if it than he should have.

Clear as day, he just washes out while taking the corner with his teammates.

First camera shot to see he crashed he seems pretty calm and cool. Gets set up on new bike. Same as he chases back. When he hits the race official car he seemed more to be explaining. Noting that the motors were are struggling.

Not to beat the drum, but I just don’t prefer this commentator team. Even my wife noted this weekend, lol.

She doesn’t care, but will sit with me and have coffee. So, more times than not, a bike race is on. Sunday she is doing her thing, looks up and suddenly says,

Who is that talking? They sound American. We don’t do American announcers in cycling!
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:

Not to beat the drum, but I just don’t prefer this commentator team. Even my wife noted this weekend, lol.

It's annoying how often they talk over each other.

They're not awful, but I agree, not my favorite.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ayuso is positive, but doctors will let him race.

(There are some nuanced details that Sporza published.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
I just rewatched. Thought Vande Velde made
more if it than he should have.

Clear as day, he just washes out while taking the corner with his teammates.

First camera shot to see he crashed he seems pretty calm and cool. Gets set up on new bike. Same as he chases back. When he hits the race official car he seemed more to be explaining. Noting that the motors were are struggling.

She doesn’t care, but will sit with me and have coffee. So, more times than not, a bike race is on. Sunday she is doing her thing, looks up and suddenly says,

Who is that talking? They sound American. We don’t do American announcers in cycling!

Honestly the American feed is unlistenable. I've been tuning in to the Eurosport/GCN French or English feeds which are mostly great.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They're fine for what they are, and for the price I pay - which is nothing; nothing-extra, anyway

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
;) Fair enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Ayuso is positive, but doctors will let him race.

(There are some nuanced details that Sporza published.)

He's not the first...I forget the name, but there was a TdF rider with the same deal. I think he'd had COVID just before the TdF, and the positive during the Tour was considered a rogue positive. Seems legit, as I was getting occassional positive on rapid tests weeks after all my COVID symptoms had disappeared.
Last edited by: trail: Sep 2, 22 8:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correct he is not. There are a bunch of pissed of guys out of the Vuelta though. They've been chirping on socials.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to see the green jersey bossing it today. Ackermann as usual going from waaaaaay toooooo faaaar out.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mads nailed it today. He’s a tough customer on that kind of finish.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Mads nailed it today. He’s a tough customer on that kind of finish.

And up the road again. The Paz isn't just playing out the string either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mads is in some crazy shape...
and Evenepoel is unable to follow
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mini Remplosion. He's gonna be tested earlier on Sunday's climb now that he's shown cracks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Mini Remplosion. He's gonna be tested earlier on Sunday's climb now that he's shown cracks.

Blood in the water. I don’t see him Saganing his way home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gonna have whiplash tomorrow. Cimbing through the Sierra's while sprinting through the states, and then over in the UK they start with the Queen's stage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today's stage is going to be brutal. Jumbo, Ineos,Movistar, UAE, are going to move some guys pretty soon and then I expect an attack in the first of the last two mountains of someone from the GC, like Tao or Almeida.
There is no much terrain left to gain time on Remco so Roglic should go all in today...if he's got the power.

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Last edited by: juanillo: Sep 4, 22 3:43
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When there are so many guys just a few minutes back, who do you let go and who do you mark? Need a deep squad for that. Remco Maximus (looks like a young Russell Crowe) needs to unleash hell on them but it might be the other way around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next