Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **SPOILERS 2016 Spring Classics Thread SPOILERS** [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had to be Sagan from that group...although Kustenov gave it a better run than I thought he could.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS 2016 Spring Classics Thread SPOILERS** [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed, it DID have to be Sagan and I'm glad for him ... though Spartacus is always my personal favorite.

Stay aero my friends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice win by Sagan!
FC would have benefited from a tighter gap at the end... big gap allowed everyone to relax and take a breath before putting all their cards on the table.
But really happy to see Sagan overtake Kusnetzov, who clearly did the least work in the run up. Can't wait until Flanders!
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS 2016 Spring Classics Thread SPOILERS** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
That was some sprint by Sagan, you could see how bad he wanted it. The guy from Katusha didn't make any friends today.
I don't think Kuznetsov expected to win, he was just leading them out after not doing as much work in the last 30km. I didn't see much concern in the group that he wasn't pulling. Kuznetsov had been out on his own for some time before they caught up with him.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS 2016 Spring Classics Thread SPOILERS** [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know - perhaps I see it differently but his initial solo attack to me doesn't justify sitting in on the wheel of 3 extremely strong riders for 30k - but that's racing I suppose.
And he definitely was sprinting to win. He played coy at the back and found the best moment of surprise to head out and secure a podium spot.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS 2016 Spring Classics Thread SPOILERS** [daveTDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daveTDF wrote:
I don't know - perhaps I see it differently but his initial solo attack to me doesn't justify sitting in on the wheel of 3 extremely strong riders for 30k - but that's racing I suppose.
And he definitely was sprinting to win. He played coy at the back and found the best moment of surprise to head out and secure a podium spot.
He was on his own for 25 min while the others were sitting in. What would you expect him to do? drop out? He clearly didn't have much to contribute. They'd have been upset if he won but as it is he provided a decent leadout to sort out the best sprinter - excellent finish.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS 2016 Spring Classics Thread SPOILERS** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When he tightened his shoes with 3 to go I had a good feeling for him. That's something you do when you are ready to rip it.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice win by Sagan!
FC would have benefited from a tighter gap at the end.

Yes - . . . finally for Sagan

Indeed - a faster run-in with the chase group breathing down their necks would have been more beneficial for Fab - turning the final 5K into a TT/pursuit race. Ounce they slowed, and started the cat-n-mouse game, the favour tipped away from Cancellera, and to the other three, Sagan in particular. Although, as I say that, he's not shown much kick recently when in finales like this.

So what will Lefevere's story/excuse be this time? :) Good grief - they had 5 - 6 riders in the final selection group!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS 2016 Spring Classics Thread SPOILERS** [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, well... I suppose I can't disagree. Fortune does favor the bold - Kuznetsov forced the action early on and deserved his podium spot. It's hard not to see this with spartacus-colored glasses after he got bumped to 4th.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS 2016 Spring Classics Thread SPOILERS** [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

ettix has got to spring someone into the break so they don't have to chase. but it doesn't seem they have someone that can do it.

i get the feeling they might be burning matches in the first 100k too.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS 2016 Spring Classics Thread SPOILERS** [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree - they are just not tactically sound right now. Trentin went too soon, he definitely could have ridden in that final break if he saved his legs. But where was Stybar or Terpstra? Disastrous. Lefevere has to look at his DS's at some point...

Also, side note. Belgian rider Antoine Demoitie was struck by a moto during the race and it's pretty serious. Hoping he pulls through and it's not as bad as it sounds. Hate to hear these things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
That was some sprint by Sagan, you could see how bad he wanted it. The guy from Katusha didn't make any friends today.

Good call on Sagan. The first week in forever I didn't pick him. Maybe I'll stay away and watch him get the big ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race to watch and very happy to see Sep back in the front and back at the level he should be at for these races. I think he will be reaching his peak next week or the week after - hopefully he can finally take that big win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Next week is for all the marbles and shaping up to be one hell of a duel between Sagan and FC. Sep also looked really good, the only person who could answer the call. I think Sagan wins next week too. He showed that he can go long--two 30k moves in 3 days--or wait for a sprint. He matched FC's surge today, and then was patient in the finale. Pretty good race all around.

One thing's for sure, it's going to be an uncomfortable week in the Etixx camp. 5 guys in the chase group? 5!!! Ok, so Boonen is not the same and Stybar clearly doesn't have great form or maybe is aiming for PR. Whatever the case, they look lost in the woods.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kuznetsov didn't have to work in the lead group as he had numbers in the chase which justified his sit-in.

Etixx, what can one say? Their DS is going to rip them all the way home and for the next week straight. SOmething has got to change with their team and tactics, they can't have any more excuses for having those kind of numbers and coming up empty handed every weekend. Not saying they were going to win, stronger riders won, but they aren't even placing or winning the sprints for later placings. They are just a mess.

Amped for Sagan, this will likely ignite a huge fire, and since the monkey is off his back it should free him up a little bit to move around in the peloton slightly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
daveTDF wrote:

Also, side note. Belgian rider Antoine Demoitie was struck by a moto during the race and it's pretty serious. Hoping he pulls through and it's not as bad as it sounds. Hate to hear these things.

Demoitie is dead. I have a hard time getting upset here in the U.S. and CTE in NFL football. Because I fear that if we turn that same magnifying glass on professional cycling we'll find far more human carnage in death, chronic disability, eating disorders, drug dependence, etc.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 27, 16 17:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Next week is for all the marbles and shaping up to be one hell of a duel between Sagan and FC. Sep also looked really good, the only person who could answer the call. I think Sagan wins next week too. He showed that he can go long--two 30k moves in 3 days--or wait for a sprint. He matched FC's surge today, and then was patient in the finale. Pretty good race all around.

One thing's for sure, it's going to be an uncomfortable week in the Etixx camp. 5 guys in the chase group? 5!!! Ok, so Boonen is not the same and Stybar clearly doesn't have great form or maybe is aiming for PR. Whatever the case, they look lost in the woods.

to be fair, GvA was recovering from a stomach virus. but otherwise yeah. WOuld be interesting to see if Kwiatek is racing. He put in a helluva race back in 2013 (100km break? caught only on the last ascent of Oude Kwaremont, and it was so close to the top)
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS 2016 Spring Classics Thread SPOILERS** [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
daveTDF wrote:

Demoitie is dead. I have a hard time getting upset here in the U.S. and CTE in NFL football. Because I fear that if we turn that same magnifying glass on professional cycling we'll find far more human carnage in death, chronic disability, eating disorders, drug dependence, etc.

Oh man....there have been way too many incidents of motos and riders over the last few years...and now a rider has died.

The UCI needed to get a handle on this a long time ago....what a massive tragedy.

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some reports are that the moto could not avoid Demoitie after he was in a fall with other riders. Will be interesting to see what comes of this....either way, very sad news.

Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS 2016 Spring Classics Thread SPOILERS** [RONDAL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RONDAL wrote:
Kuznetsov didn't have to work in the lead group as he had numbers in the chase which justified his sit-in.

Uh yeah and Fabian didn´t have to pull because he had a sprinter in the chase group.
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS 2016 Spring Classics Thread SPOILERS** [v0coder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And on top of that, Etixx had five and possibly the fastest finisher. So the "numbers behind" idea doesn't really work then.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Mar 27, 16 19:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there's a big difference between Fabian and Kuznetsov, one guy is a favourite to win with a good kick in a sprint, the other hasn't exactly had memorable showings of late. So ya, Kuznetsov is going to sit in with his guys in the chase.

Etixx....we're already in agreement they played their cards wrong and again missed the break forcing them to then have to stick their guys on the front to try and real in the sagan/spartacus lead group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

Good call on Sagan. The first week in forever I didn't pick him. Maybe I'll stay away and watch him get the big ones.

Yesir! I relegated him to my WC pick and there he goes landing on top. I just finished watching it on cyclinghub as I was otherwise occupied (religious stuff) this morning and I left the race at 100K to go (why did Jesus have to die during Spring Classics season?).

Overall I did pretty well on my top5 picks but I guess so did everyone else picking the same 6-7 guys.

Heartbroken over the moto incident...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Some reports are that the moto could not avoid Demoitie after he was in a fall with other riders. Will be interesting to see what comes of this....either way, very sad news.

There was a helicopter shot of the Fabian / Sagan group and I couldn't even count the number of motos behind them. There must have been at least 10. I'm sure someone has thought about the setup but to an uneducated person like me it seemed odd as heck
Quote Reply
Re: **SPOILERS 2016 Spring Classics Thread SPOILERS** [kollac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loved how FC tried to jerk his shoulders and make others react inside the final K; too bad he got stuck on the front. barring any unforeseeable circumstances i'm going with the following for the weekend.

GvA, Sagan, FC
Vanmarcke and Kwiatek
Quote Reply

Prev Next