Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona 2019 Race Day Thread [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wurf already has. He’s listed on the Santo Domingo start list for the ITU World Cup November 12th.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2019 Race Day Thread [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Being a countrymen of JF I gotta say what he said in German sounded dead serious.

That was not taking the piss out of AB but sounded like being super annoyed by his behaviour Like someone else already pointed out further above.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2019 Race Day Thread [trisomemari] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trisomemari wrote:
Being a countrymen of JF I gotta say what he said in German sounded dead serious.

That was not taking the piss out of AB but sounded like being super annoyed by his behaviour Like someone else already pointed out further above.

Thanks, you articulated it much better than me.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2019 Race Day Thread [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allan wrote:
I heard that the Frodeno-Brownlee thing goes back to their ITU racing days. Brownlees had a reputation for yelling at people in the pack to take pulls and were taunting Jan with something along the lines of common Olympic champ get your butt up here and do your share …. not sure if this can be confirmed though

This is more or less true. AB and JB came into ITU in 2009/10 and kinda put the old guard at the time out of business. This included JF who was gone within 3/4 years. But I think the way they did it, through what could be politely discribed as typical alpha male behavior has always rubbed people up the wrong way.

What looked to have happened post race doesnt really surprise me as its not the first time AB has done or said stuff like this.

It'll be interesting moving forward as we might not get much time to fully see this rivalry flourish like in the ITU days. JF's performances at his age never cease to amaze me but there can't be too many more years at this level. AB I think has a steep learning curve which is gonna take time and full commitment to Iron distance if he wants to conquer Kona and JF.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2019 Race Day Thread [trisomemari] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trisomemari wrote:

Well brownlee was inside the draft zone ALOT.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and with AB behaviour I didn‘t mean him being or not being in the draftzone but what can be seen in the short youtube clip posted above.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely didn't sound like Frodo was seeing it as a piss take. He calls him a jerk and says they never got along well and probably never will.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2019 Race Day Thread [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluefever wrote:
trisomemari wrote:

Thanks, you articulated it much better than me.

I recently moved to Germany and my German is still pretty pathetic (I'll catch 20-30% of conversations) but... just to reinforce what the above posters have already said... the commentator didn't view it as a piss-take either.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2019 Race Day Thread [trois_pample] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You dont need the volume on to see that jan went from wtf? to finding it funny in a split second

Guessing he didnt think the same of the "some walk when they cant win but i kept running to 9th and honor the sport"... No handshakes there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
bluefever wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:
And what happened?

He shoved him basically. It was odd. My quote is slightly wrong seeing it back - Jan actually said 'he's always been a bum' (Penner).

You guys are so serious you can’t tell when people are taking the piss.https://youtu.be/l7DN8OhfJeo[/quote[/url]]

This is possibly a culture difference thing. I suspect being part German and sortof South African, physical contact games like the type you can imagine Jonny and Alistair doing a lot at home, probably doesn't sit well with Frodo. Wet willy's that sort of thing.

What I would add is that Brownlee is a fierce competitor. He wants to win. And will always push a little to see if he can upset his competitors rhythm. The fact that JF reacted negatively, (instead of laughing it off) will only mean AB will push a little more in future.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2019 Race Day Thread [Race1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race1 wrote:
PJC wrote:
bluefever wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:
And what happened?

He shoved him basically. It was odd. My quote is slightly wrong seeing it back - Jan actually said 'he's always been a bum' (Penner).

You guys are so serious you can’t tell when people are taking the piss.[/quote[/url]]

This is possibly a culture difference thing. I suspect being part German and sortof South African, physical contact games like the type you can imagine Jonny and Alistair doing a lot at home, probably doesn't sit well with Frodo. Wet willy's that sort of thing.

What I would add is that Brownlee is a fierce competitor. He wants to win. And will always push a little to see if he can upset his competitors rhythm. The fact that JF reacted negatively, (instead of laughing it off) will only mean AB will push a little more in future.

have you seen the clip?

ali brushed him and jan laughed.

this is one of the stupidest non-events in a long time.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2019 Race Day Thread [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ali Brownlee is without doubt the best male short course/ITU triathlete ever, and as has been said was head and shoulders above Frodeno. He won’t however dominate IM, I just don’t see it. If he ditches the idea of Tokyo he will come back fitter and faster (injuries permitting) and 2020 could be epic.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2019 Race Day Thread [Joss1965] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about The Sergio?!?! Top OA age grouper. Looked solid out there
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2019 Race Day Thread [Joss1965] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like Ali was pissed off that Frodo and TO didn't wait for him when he changed wheels and was bitching at Frodo when he caught up again. Frodo said he thought "great news - you only behave like that when you're at the limit" when Ali was moaning at him.

Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2019 Race Day Thread [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it didn't look like anything more than a "good job" type of contact...

he wasn't going to stop the interview to say that...

nothing to see here, imo...

great job by jf....
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2019 Race Day Thread [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
it didn't look like anything more than a "good job" type of contact...

he wasn't going to stop the interview to say that...

nothing to see here, imo...

great job by jf....

Nah - I disagree. If it had been like that he would have given him a high 5 and a smile or some appreciation after bumping into him. Unfortunately can't see Ali after he bumped into Frodo.

I can see some Macca vs Stadler style rivalry here, if they both continue with Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2019 Race Day Thread [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoffmeister wrote:

Nah - I disagree. If it had been like that he would have given him a high 5 and a smile or some appreciation after bumping into him.

I’m guessing from this that you’ve not got much experience with the North of England... Yorkshiremen don’t do high 5s and smiling is generally frowned upon.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2019 Race Day Thread [RobK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RobK wrote:
Hoffmeister wrote:

Nah - I disagree. If it had been like that he would have given him a high 5 and a smile or some appreciation after bumping into him.

I’m guessing from this that you’ve not got much experience with the North of England... Yorkshiremen don’t do high 5s and smiling is generally frowned upon.

Actually I do have a bunch of guys from the North that I work closely with. I find them quite funny and affable. Now if you tell me they're tight as can be, that I believe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hoffmeister wrote:
RobK wrote:
Hoffmeister wrote:

Actually I do have a bunch of guys from the North that I work closely with. I find them quite funny and affable. Now if you tell me they're tight as can be, that I believe.

Yorkshire man here. That was a friendly ‘good job wanker’ shoulder bump.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2019 Race Day Thread [pjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I wondered if anyone else noticed! Great race for The Sergio!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2019 Race Day Thread [Poldarn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poldarn wrote:
Hoffmeister wrote:
RobK wrote:
Hoffmeister wrote:

Haha fair enough - a head butt would be the highest form of praise in Yorkshire then I suppose?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hoffmeister wrote:
Poldarn wrote:
Hoffmeister wrote:
RobK wrote:
Hoffmeister wrote:

Haha fair enough - a head butt would be the highest form of praise in Yorkshire then I suppose?

it's called a "Liverpool kiss"

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2019 Race Day Thread [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
Hoffmeister wrote:
Poldarn wrote:
Hoffmeister wrote:
RobK wrote:
Hoffmeister wrote:

it's called a "Liverpool kiss"

:-D - you guys are reallygiving me the hard sell for IM Bolton.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2019 Race Day Thread [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Lucy looked like she was getting paced by her husband not long before she repassed Crowley.

Huh. She admitted he was pacing and coaching her at that point. Isn't that a penalty?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona 2019 Race Day Thread [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps mentioned elsewhere but on phone and too lazy to search...

does IM deflate front to keep people from just cycling off with bikes one taken off the course?

My front tire was flat on pick up, friend noticed 4-5 other bikes with front flats coming out of pick up while waiting for me.

Tire was fine night before and then morning of the race as well as during race.

I inflated the tube in the wheel and then underwater and it held pressure / no leaks so seems someone deflated via the valve...

Seems odd.

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply

Prev Next