Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [swimswam1003] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good insight. Mexico Beach is gone. It will be years to restore that town.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"https://www.facebook.com/...859805&width=500"

Could always switch to a local race. (no affiliation)

First I would like to say our thoughts are with everyone impacted by the storm. We are so fortunate here in Central Florida that we escaped this one. Having been hit by several hurricanes ourselves, we realize how tough it can be to regroup and recover.
We know first hand that Mother Nature does not always cooperate when it comes to racing and events. It takes a tremendous amount of training and dedication to ready yourself for a full distance triathlon and we do not wish to see athletes lose out on an opportunity to race a full distance triathlon when they are race ready. With the possibility that this year's Ironman Florida event could be canceled or altered, we have have decided to offer athletes registered for this year's IM Florida event a $100 discount on the full distance 28th Great Floridian Triathlon should they wish to race. If you are an IMFL athlete interested in taking advantage of this offer, please email info@SommerSports.com.
We are also offering discounted entry into the Florida XtremeTri to all participants of the 2018 IMFL event. While not a standard full distance triathlon, nor a traditional triathlon experience, it is still a great way to reward yourself for all the training and sacrifices you made over the summer getting ready for IMFL. We're offering a $100 discount off of each single stage event, or $500 off the entire three stage, 300+ mile race across Florida. We also have shared crew members available to assist you with your journey if need be. Email info@SommerSports.com for details. Additional details on the race can be found at www.FloridaXtremeTriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I knew you'd bring some logic over here!

Everybody keeps focusing on PCB when it's a matter of not just there, but that 50+ mile or so radius around there impacted by the race, along with whether or not emergency services can adequately support both the race and the entire community.

That being said - if you're signed up for the race - until it's off, it's on. Head down, do work, and finish off your training blocks. If it gets cancelled - based on track record, WTC will do a pretty good job of taking care of you. Obviously auxiliary services are a bit of a different story on taken up on a vendor by vendor basis. I anticipate losing my original reservation fee for a set of race wheels. Think that's a fair price to pay for their loss in revenue, too.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
I am in Central Florida and the weather people here said it was going to die down and hit a Cat 1 or just under that. When we woke up the next morning it was a Cat 4. I know they get it wrong sometimes but that is a pretty big Oooops. My heart is ripped apart for those people in Mexico City Beach and surrounding areas. I can't imagine having to recover and start over with my family like that.

I'm not sure what you were watching, but they were forecasting it making shore as a Cat 3 at least 2 days before landfall. The sudden strengthening to almost Cat 5 levels caught people off guard, I think, but they had issued evac orders, due to major hurricane at least the day before.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah this thread is more realistic than FB at least. Bay County doesn’t even have water right now, and doesn’t know when it will be restored. They’re not letting people back in right now, and probably won’t until they at least have water. It’s tough to compare storms and areas, but it took my parents county a week to regain water from Irma (a cat 1). They shut down all exits on 95 in GA last year until they at least had water. I hope they let you guys defer, and you’re not out much. I plan on being there next year. I’ve seen some condos contact people saying they’d get refunded but all that is going to take a lot of time being pretty low priority.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [Nazgul350r] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw this, but coming in from out of town means these races aren't really possible. The gesture is nice, but logistics prohibit a switch at this point. The plan for now is to train as if the race is on, and if it's not, relax as if I'd done it anyway.

Brenden Macy
Sports & Entertainment Attorney
I am Drive. I am Grit. I am Determination.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [brmacy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some members of Tri Gulf Coast are thinking about setting up a DIY event. Probably around Pensacola beach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
from Ironman this morning:

Dear IRONMAN Florida Athletes:

As the extent of the damage to Panama City Beach and surrounding Bay County has become apparent over the last several days, it is clear there is a low probability of our being able to conduct the 2018 IRONMAN Florida as scheduled.

Our thoughts and primary consideration are with the area, which has played host to literally thousands of athletes over the long history of IRONMAN Florida, as well as the Gulf Coast Triathlon. Many of us have built long-standing relationships and friendships within the community.

IRONMAN is working on alternatives to try and ensure a race experience for our registered athletes and in parallel support the people of Panama City Beach and Bay County.

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you beat me to it.

sounds like a combination of either postponement or deferrals

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. A hint at re-shuffling travel plans early enough.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, I am so conflicted. PCB is rapidly coming back. Per Gulf Power they will have 100% power by Monday night. Walmart, Publix and a bunch of restaurants alreay open. Most of that town will be open by midweek. But the county is hosed. I am going up to PC next weekend to help family with their damaged homes. And I have hernia surgery scheduled on 8 Nov. So this year is over for me. Selfishly, a transfer to 2019 would be most helpful for me, but if they were any way to hold the race I know the community could use the money. I'm overcome by sadness for my hometown!
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Postpone it till when though?

I have done IMFL a few times, and it was my 1st IM so it will always hold a special place to me, but the weather was always iffy in November it won't be any better to worst in remaining off-season months of Dec, Jan, or Feb.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Postpone till next year makes sense. Move it back 2-4 weeks does what for participants? Vacation time taken, rentals booked, airfare...moving the race back doesn't seem to make sense. Plus the idea of riding my $$$bike past some folks' demolished homes makes me a little queasy.

Best bet would be deferrals to next years race, combine the 2018 and 2019 Kona slots so you'll guarantee a sell-out, use a portion of the extra participant $ for a local relief fund.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:
Move it back 2-4 weeks does what for participants? Vacation time taken, rentals booked, airfare...moving the race back doesn't seem to make sense. .

Moving the race by 2 weeks worked pretty well at IM Maryland in 2015.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
anthonypat wrote:
Move it back 2-4 weeks does what for participants? Vacation time taken, rentals booked, airfare...moving the race back doesn't seem to make sense. .

the difference being IM Maryland was delayed because of flooding, IMFL possible move/ cancellation is because of death and destruction of a hurricane.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
anthonypat wrote:

the difference being IM Maryland was delayed because of flooding, IMFL possible move/ cancellation is because of death and destruction of a hurricane.

You asked "does what for participants" (see up there ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^). You didn't ask about the local residents. I responded to your question (as a 2015 IM Maryland participant).

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:
Postpone till next year makes sense. Move it back 2-4 weeks does what for participants? Vacation time taken, rentals booked, airfare...moving the race back doesn't seem to make sense. Plus the idea of riding my $$$bike past some folks' demolished homes makes me a little queasy.

Best bet would be deferrals to next years race, combine the 2018 and 2019 Kona slots so you'll guarantee a sell-out, use a portion of the extra participant $ for a local relief fund.
That would be cancelling 2018 IMFL, not postponing it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you read my whole post you'd see I mentioned possible postponement PLUS the destruction at hand does not seem to make sense. You're answering a question that was rhetorical, though you may have missed that. I apologize for not being clearer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:

I agree with this completely, a bunch of well to do triathletes riding there bikes past people with no home left most likely no job for lots is not a good visual.

I think its best to let people deer or transfer to something in 2019.

I know its tough for the people who trained but...... they can always go down and volunteer

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got this email. New info is that they commit to come out with news on tuesday.
Roberto

Quote:
Dear IRONMAN Florida Athletes:

As the extent of the damage to Panama City Beach and surrounding Bay County has become apparent over the last several days, it is clear there is a low probability of our being able to conduct the 2018 IRONMAN Florida as scheduled.

Our thoughts and primary consideration are with the area, which has played host to literally thousands of athletes over the long history of IRONMAN Florida, as well as the Gulf Coast Triathlon. Many of us have built long-standing relationships and friendships within the community.

IRONMAN is working on alternatives to try and ensure a race experience for our registered athletes and in parallel support the people of Panama City Beach and Bay County.

The IRONMAN Foundation has launched a Humanitarian Relief Effort campaign to raise funds in response to Hurricane Michael in Panama City Beach. As part of the campaign, the IRONMAN Foundation has pledged $50,000 to support local recovery efforts. Join us in supporting the Hurricane Michael Humanitarian Relief efforts in three different ways - make a DONATION; BUY a custom Humanitarian Relief T-Shirt to support recovery efforts; and VOLUNTEER for local service projects, providing hands-on rebuilding assistance as our friends in this area that look to recover during this difficult time.

For full details on the IRONMAN Foundation Michael Relief Effort and how to donate, purchase t-shirts or volunteer, visit http://www.ironmanfoundation.org/relief

There will be a formal announcement at the end of business on Tuesday, October 16 to inform registered athletes of next steps in relation to the 20th anniversary event. We ask for your patience until that time.

Thank you for your understanding and please keep the people of Panama City Beach and Bay County in your thoughts over the coming days and weeks.

IRONMAN
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SayHey Kid wrote:
Postpone it till when though?

I have done IMFL a few times, and it was my 1st IM so it will always hold a special place to me, but the weather was always iffy in November it won't be any better to worst in remaining off-season months of Dec, Jan, or Feb.

I raced IMFL seven times. Each time the weather was ideal. Only once in 19 years did they have to cancel the swim. Aside from IMAZ, IMFL has perhaps the most consistent weather. Especially in early November. So I wouldn’t agree with it being characterized as “iffy”.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
anthonypat wrote:

One issue is that Daylight Savings time ends the day after IMFL scheduled race date. So some other things get messy for later finishers when it's getting dark at 4:30pm and you're talking getting volunteer out on course an hour earlier and...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nazgul350r wrote:
"https://www.facebook.com/...859805&width=500"

Could always switch to a local race. (no affiliation)

First I would like to say our thoughts are with everyone impacted by the storm. We are so fortunate here in Central Florida that we escaped this one. Having been hit by several hurricanes ourselves, we realize how tough it can be to regroup and recover.
We know first hand that Mother Nature does not always cooperate when it comes to racing and events. It takes a tremendous amount of training and dedication to ready yourself for a full distance triathlon and we do not wish to see athletes lose out on an opportunity to race a full distance triathlon when they are race ready. With the possibility that this year's Ironman Florida event could be canceled or altered, we have have decided to offer athletes registered for this year's IM Florida event a $100 discount on the full distance 28th Great Floridian Triathlon should they wish to race. If you are an IMFL athlete interested in taking advantage of this offer, please email info@SommerSports.com.
We are also offering discounted entry into the Florida XtremeTri to all participants of the 2018 IMFL event. While not a standard full distance triathlon, nor a traditional triathlon experience, it is still a great way to reward yourself for all the training and sacrifices you made over the summer getting ready for IMFL. We're offering a $100 discount off of each single stage event, or $500 off the entire three stage, 300+ mile race across Florida. We also have shared crew members available to assist you with your journey if need be. Email info@SommerSports.com for details. Additional details on the race can be found at www.FloridaXtremeTriathlon.com

This is a great gesture so thank you.

Considering the devastating impact to the communities (because of the hurricane), it seems the best option is to cancel the race in PCB (and surrounding areas used for the race). But, so many athletes have already used vacation time, and many international athletes have already made plans to fly in to the U.S. If Ironman was smart, it seems their best option would be to try and coordinate some type of action with your race (GFT) so athletes could still race the iron distance. It would be a logistical headache for many but may be better than losing the chance to race altogether.

Edit: just noticed GFT is this coming weekend. For some reason, I thought the GFT and IMFL were the same weekend. So, this makes things even more difficult for international travelers, and others, who cannot change vacation/holiday time.
Last edited by: eye3md: Oct 15, 18 17:44
Quote Reply

Prev Next