Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [Nazgul350r] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nazgul350r wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
surfNJmatt wrote:
Panama City is about to get F'd up, i think everyone is under estimating how much damage and how long it will take to get back to normal..

I hope everyone still gets to race but im sure that is at the bottom of the cities concerns right now

When I first posted that I did not expect this to affect the race, Michael was only forecast to make landfall as a Category 2 hurricane. Now it is Category 4 and PCB is very close to the bulls-eye. Power will be down for a week or more depending on location and the priority of restoration. But the real issue will be how much water surge damage there is on the PCB hotel infrastructure. E.g., what if the host hotel is taken out? Hotels on the beach side may be closed for weeks or more to make repairs.

It was tough to get up and go to the pool this morning knowing that the race might not happen. But I have my fingers crossed for the residents that their lives and homes are spared.

Nailed it.

Agree with this 100%, of course the local residents well-being comes first. I've heard guesstimates that run the gamut, I suppose we won't know until later tonight/tomorrow morning. Optimistically from the race perspective, seems like the storm is turning east a bit already which should reduce storm surge and winds a bit. From a contingency perspective, anyone ever had an Ironman event cancelled this close to race day, this late in the season? Wondering if they're going to let us move to TX or CO, or some other race early next season?

I slept in on a swim too today, feel your pain.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [MJGuswiler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So far my experience with Ironman is that you are out of luck if race is cancelled. I've done 3 Ironman brand events in the past year. 1 was completely cancelled and 1 had the swim cancelled. In both cases I asked to switch to an upcoming event that had open registration and was basically told, "sucks for you. You cannot switch and we are still keeping your money."
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
So far my experience with Ironman is that you are out of luck if race is cancelled. I've done 3 Ironman brand events in the past year. 1 was completely cancelled and 1 had the swim cancelled. In both cases I asked to switch to an upcoming event that had open registration and was basically told, "sucks for you. You cannot switch and we are still keeping your money."

Yikes... Well, if that's the case, I'd consider this an exercise in education and would probably never consider that brand/series ever again. Just roll back to a different distance, which is less impacting on family/work/life balance anyway.

Which race was completely cancelled?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only had one experience with a weather affected race - Ironman Texas in 2016. That was the year with epic flooding in Houston that washed out some of the bike course. A few weeks before the race, they determined they could only support a 94 mile bike course. Within a few days of that announcement, they sent everyone an email saying you can transfer to any other North American race that year that was not already sold out. I thought it was pretty cool of them to offer. I did the race anyway, and had a blast. Not sure why they made the exception that year, but many were thankful.

I'm also doing IMFL this year, and hopefully everyone in the area stays safe. And fingers crossed we'll still have the race.
Last edited by: RangersBouncy: Oct 10, 18 9:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:

And yet I had 5 athletes racing IM NC 70.3 that was cancelled 2 weeks ago due to hurricane that hit 6 weeks before the event. They were able to cancel the race 2 weeks prior and gave every athlete plenty of options- including any 2019 70.3 of their choosing (or NC 70.3 2019).

What event was completely cancelled? How/why was it cancelled?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
What event was completely cancelled? How/why was it cancelled?

NOLA 70.3 was cancelled on race morning last year. A nasty weather system was coming through with high winds, and lightning was striking near transition. After about an hour's delay, they just called it. It was the right call, even though they were criticized for it. They gave us the option of free entry to another 70.3 (Austin?) that was a week or two away, or a free/discounted entry to a RnR event in New Orleans.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nearing Cat 5 status and PC (not PCB) is going to take a direct hit. PCB isn't on the dirty side of the storm but does it matter that much if it's that close?

That place is about to get whacked hard.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I figured, it was essentially the act of God that's in the contract. So essentially I'm guessing if the storm hits now, this wont be the same setup and athletes will be given options. I'm guessing the reason why an race wont give any options to athletes when the race is cancelled day of, is because almost every resource is already spent/used.

I'm guessing for IM NC 70.3, they could atleast negoiate hotels, "government" contracts, etc, race day rentals can be bargained. But day of event cancellation? Eh that's a different manner, and to me more understandable (shitty) but understandable why very few options are given.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was on the beach when IM Lake Tahoe was canceled in 2014 due to smoke. They offered 3 options to athletes:

1. Transfer to another 2014 IM event that was open worldwide for a reduced entry fee of $100 (mostly races that we're sold out yet). They listed the number of entries available for this option (ranged from 50-250 entries, depending on the race)
2. Transfer the entry to IM Lake Tahoe the next year for $100 (I chose this due to logistics)
3. Register for a 2015 IM race for 1/2 the entry fee assuming that race was still open.

For options #1 and #2 they listed the race options (there were 7 options for #1 and 8 options for #3).

I'm signed up for IMFL this year too and we'll see what happens. I'm hoping that everyone in the area stays safe.

doctorironman.blogspot.com |
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I'm guessing the reason why an race wont give any options to athletes when the race is cancelled day of, is because almost every resource is already spent/used

That was exactly it, according to the race director. It was race morning and all of the roads had been closed, cops had been hired to protect every intersection over 28 miles, labor and materials to set up transition and post-race party area ... all of the money had been spent. Just terrible luck for a time of year that's usually bluebird skies and cool in N.O.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This picture was taken of the Gulf of Mexico this morning in Orange Beach, AL around 10:30am which is well west of Panama City. The roads on Pensacola Beach were already underwater yesterday afternoon. This is the most fierce that I have ever seen the gulf and the storm surge in this area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hard to stay focused and train today..... looks like this is going to be a devastating storm for PCB and just hope everyone is safe. I live in an area that was hit very hard by Sandy so I know what the aftermath of a big storm looks like and right now it's hard to think things will be recovered enough to race..... the area will be dealing with so much and diverting resources to a race will be the last priority. selfishly i'm feeling off today, all this training for my 1st full... all the expense of travel, flights, condos, etc.... but then feeling guilty about worrying about a race while others are dealing with real problems....

I chose Florida over Maryland because of the weather and the fact Maryland had hurricane issues for consecutive years.... after first bad years, IMMD weather was near perfect last 2 years..... so you never know... weather this time of the year on east coast US is always a crap shoot....
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [sunnyla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've alread seen a video of an unfinished beach house on PCB crashing down, plus video from a friends house in PC of the winds, but the eye wall landed just east of Tyndall AFB, and so the winds are spinning out to the gulf at PCB and the surf wasn't anywhere near what I had expected to see. Reports from Frank Brown Park is minimal damage. We won't know till later but it looks like Mexico Beach and Apalachicola will be hit hardest. PCB might, fingers crossed, make it out of this one.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like PCB dodged this one for the most part. I'm seeing lots of pics and videos from friends and family in Callaway. A tornado went through and there are a lot of trees down, shingles gone, a few roofs gone, etc. My parents and sister live right on the Callaway bayou in the mandatory evac zone, but they have no storm surge damage (a friend a block up from the water sent photos).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MJGuswiler wrote:
[From a contingency perspective, anyone ever had an Ironman event cancelled this close to race day, this late in the season? Wondering if they're going to let us move to TX or CO, or some other race early next season?

The year I did Ironman Maryland (2015) the race was postponed by two weeks due to a hurricane. I remain amazed to this day that Gerry Boyle, the Ironman organization, and the folks of Cambridge, Maryland pulled that off. So there is precedent for postponing a race but it's got to be crazy hard to do.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Looks like PCB dodged this one for the most part. I'm seeing lots of pics and videos from friends and family in Callaway. A tornado went through and there are a lot of trees down, shingles gone, a few roofs gone, etc. My parents and sister live right on the Callaway bayou in the mandatory evac zone, but they have no storm surge damage (a friend a block up from the water sent photos).

Thanks so much for continuing to providing these updates... I've been keeping my eyes peeled on everything but it's good to be getting updates from people who are close.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reports from people in PCB, on site news, etc. is that PCB has sustained remarkably little damage. Roads and power will be an issue for awhile, but I'm betting they will lean over backwards to prioritize electricity to PCB and clean the roads in order to support this event and the money it brings in their off season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This video was taken at 1:00 p.m. EST:

https://twitter.com/ntsweather/status/1050066462776406016?s=21

from Pineapple Willy's Restaurant which is literally next door to the Boardwalk Beach Hotel and Convention Center.

At the end of the day, you can't stress over what's out of your control.

Sending good vibes to the locals in Florida! Stay safe!
Last edited by: jbailey500: Oct 10, 18 12:48
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [jbailey500] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

jbailey500 wrote:

from Pineapple Willy's Restaurant which is literally next door to the Boardwalk Beach Hotel and Convention Center.

Maybe I'm look at that video through rose colored glasses, but that didn't look nearly as horrible as most of the network news outlets and the weather channel have been making it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MJGuswiler wrote:

jbailey500 wrote:

Maybe I'm look at that video through rose colored glasses, but that didn't look nearly as horrible as most of the network news outlets and the weather channel have been making it.

That's what I am thinking too.

However, my feeling is that the race will be cancelled or postponed.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
people on IMFL facebook page saying PCB took less of a direct hit then expected.... seems that Mexico Beach area sustained much worse damage..... but we'll have to wait until tomorrow and see what everything looks like.... here's a picture of Sunbird Towers, which I believe is near host hotel.... took this off FB, roof is ripped open... heard other local business had roofs blown off too. hope all are ok
Last edited by: DDMike: Oct 10, 18 13:50
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First my prayers are with all in the storms path.................the real question for the race is....how long will it be before power is restored? Hotels will be a mess.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Found this video...
http://www.wbrc.com/...y-hurricane-michael/

This starts about 1/2 mile west of the host site, and we run along these roads.
At 1:43 of the video, it passes along the host site.
The tower west of the host site had major damage.
The tower east of the host site had roof damage as well.
The video does not specifically show the boardwalk beach resorts.

Thoughts and prayers for all of those who call Panama City Beach home. Wishing them well as they return to their homes in the next couple days to see what Michael might have done to their properties.

Still plan to be in Panama City beach that weekend. Not sure if I'll be racing or volunteering with a clean up crew.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [DDMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DDMike wrote:
people on IMFL facebook page saying PCB took less of a direct hit then expected.... seems that Mexico Beach area sustained much worse damage..... but we'll have to wait until tomorrow and see what everything looks like.... here's a picture of Sunbird Towers, which I believe is near host hotel.... took this off FB, roof is ripped open... heard other local business had roofs blown off too. hope all are ok

My reservation is at Sunbird for IMFL this year...Even if the race goes on, not all of the lodging facilities in the area might be ready. Based on that picture, I'm guessing I'm gonna need to pivot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drone footage from PC, not PCB.

Quote Reply

Prev Next