Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [DDMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh man, that is where I was supposed to stay. After seeing all these videos, I would feel awful going up there and racing if there is still the race.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [MJGuswiler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
latest on Facebook:

For all 2018 IRONMAN Florida athletes, please know IRONMAN officials are also working with the local authorities to assess and closely monitor the situation in Panama City Beach, Florida. IRONMAN remains committed to creating a safe and positive race experience. However, we appreciate your patience as the immediate need is to take care of the local residents. At the appropriate time, IRONMAN will communicate any changes that are necessary for future planned events based on the impact of Hurricane Michael. Athletes are asked to stay tuned to the event’s Facebook page and event website for further updates as they become available.

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Looks like PCB dodged this one for the most part. I'm seeing lots of pics and videos from friends and family in Callaway. A tornado went through and there are a lot of trees down, shingles gone, a few roofs gone, etc. My parents and sister live right on the Callaway bayou in the mandatory evac zone, but they have no storm surge damage (a friend a block up from the water sent photos).

I think they dodged it when compared to Mexico Beach, but they still got hit pretty hard. I work at a resort on the Atlantic side of Florida, and Irma had us shut down for a week last year as a category 1 with real minimal damage (mostly water), and the Atlantic coast is set back off the beach a lot further than the Gulf. It's not just PCB that has to be taken care of. Areas around PCB took serious damage. It's going to take more than a week just to get power, let alone clean that area up. Thoughts go out to those in the areas, but I don't see how a race happens there in the next couple weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I hear you. PCB will make the call. There business interests will want it to happen. They took a lot of wind damage but not the much more devastating storm surge damage that had been expected. Look at Mexico Beach to see what that did. By comparison, PCB was unscathed. Meanwhile, let's see what the line crews can do in 10 days .. then it will be apparent whether it is possible or not.
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Oct 10, 18 18:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I don't mean to be pessimistic, and hope it's a quick recovery. I'm jaded after dealing with Matthew and Irma the past two years, which were nothing in comparison. It's just going to take a whole lot to make it happen, none of which Ironman can do (but they could surely help with recovery efforts). Obviously locals and business owners want the money, especially at that time of the year, but if you open up too early you end up with angry people sadly. Once the dust settles and they can assess the damages there'll be a better idea. I'm just saying I'd put the odds at less than 50/50 there's a race this year.

https://www.facebook.com/...sts/953912234798081/
Last edited by: rjrankin: Oct 10, 18 19:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the race is to be cancelled, I hope the RD and IM can make a decision soon for the atheletes. That was the case for the 70.3 in Wilmington that was cancelled due to Florence....and the deferrals were very generous.

I know it's hard to be motivated to train when things are unsettled, but hang tight, and hopefully they will reach a thoughtful decision soon! Sending good thoughts to the panhandle of FL right now. This year has been a doozy for hurricanes.
Last edited by: Bluefishy: Oct 11, 18 8:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm also wondering more about the bike course and what happened out in that neck of the woods. We probably won't hear about that for a little bit until roads start re-opening.

For those expecting a quick announcement, the timing of this can't get much worse - you've got most of the IM staff out in Hawaii, and then whoever's not there is probably in Louisville. I would imagine we're not going to hear anything until the tail end of next week at the earliest.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The RD is local to Panama City. He posted on FB this morning. But yes, it will take over a week to assess, and to determine whether there are sufficient Bay County resources to host the race even if PCB did not suffer anywhere near the level of damage that happened in PC.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [Bluefishy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bluefishy wrote:
If the race is to be cancelled, I hope the RD and IM can make a decision soon for the atheletes. That was the case for the 70.3 in Wilmington that was cancelled due to Florence....and the deferrals were very generous.

I know it's hard to be motivated to train when things are unsettled, but hang tight, and hopefully they will reach a thoughtful decision soon! Sending good thoughts to the panhandle of FL right now. This year has been a doozy for hurricanes.

Hurricane Florence hit on Sep 13 and the cancellation announcement was Sep 27 ... a full two weeks later. If you think two weeks is "soon" then IM has until 24 Oct to make the call.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [Bluefishy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see how they don't cancel the race. PCB got hit hard, but managed to fare the best when compared to surrounding areas. Hopefully seeing as all the resources haven't been spent yet, they'll offer deferrals like NC earlier.

Thomas Drive: http://www.wbrc.com/...y-hurricane-michael/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rjrankin wrote:
I don't see how they don't cancel the race. PCB got hit hard, but managed to fare the best when compared to surrounding areas. Hopefully seeing as all the resources haven't been spent yet, they'll offer deferrals like NC earlier.

Thomas Drive: http://www.wbrc.com/...y-hurricane-michael/

Agreed. I don’t care how much IM wants to hold the race in order to support the local economy in the off season, if others have more important priorities.

That’s a great video that depits the main drag- finish line, bike in and bike out. Based on the major damage in that area, I imagine things don’t look that much better a few miles away on the first few miles of the bike course.

I think the chances of the race happening is pretty slim. And based on the condition of the area, cancellation is probably the right call.
Last edited by: Skyline Chili: Oct 11, 18 11:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just saw a FB video and dear god it looked like a bomb had went off, it looked like every neighborhood had 10% of the houses were even left standing, the others were completely whipped out....I dont even know where the video was taken from, but god almighty it was devastating to watch.

Prayers and thoughts to that region (we got our appreciation a month ago when our region got nailed).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Oct 11, 18 12:03
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that was just east of PCB. Mexico Beach and Tyndall AFB got destroyed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So we've had folks post experience of what happens when IM cancels, but anyone have experience with auxiliary services when IM cancels? I'm thinking specifically TriBike Transport, but there are likely other similar services that folks may be concerned about.

Brenden Macy
Sports & Entertainment Attorney
I am Drive. I am Grit. I am Determination.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [brmacy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should anyone planning to race IMFL need to make other plans, my friends at Toughman are offering a special for TOUGHMAN Chile Quillon. 30% off using TOUGHMANCHILE and the first 3 will be free using TOUGHMANFREECHILE.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
get your mountain bikes ready....

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
get your mountain bikes ready....

Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know that’s not part of the bike course. Is it part of the run course?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no, run course is not in that picture, i expect its mexico beach
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I know that’s not part of the bike course. Is it part of the run course?

No.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [Viper966] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new NOAA storm damage sat imagery is availble.. ot doesnt look that bad in PCB

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/michael/index.html#9/29.9014/-85.3239

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in Central Florida and the weather people here said it was going to die down and hit a Cat 1 or just under that. When we woke up the next morning it was a Cat 4. I know they get it wrong sometimes but that is a pretty big Oooops. My heart is ripped apart for those people in Mexico City Beach and surrounding areas. I can't imagine having to recover and start over with my family like that.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Viper966 wrote:
The new NOAA storm damage sat imagery is availble.. ot doesnt look that bad in PCB

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/michael/index.html#9/29.9014/-85.3239

yes, roads look totally fine and there is very little damage.
I think the big question will be if they are able to restore power fast enough.
does not look very good right now, everything is out:
https://outagemap.gulfpower.com/external/default.html

Quote Reply
Re: IMFL and the Upcoming Weather event [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t want to be a debbie downer but it’s not just PCB that needs to be repaired for the race to happen. Even though it doesn’t look bad, PCB won’t be ready in time. I work at a resort and during Irma it took over a week to reopen with hardly any structural damage, and a little water damage. Once opened 90% of our rooms were for the electrical guys to have a place to sleep in between their 20 hour days. Irma was a thunderstorm compared to what hit the panhandle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even if the roads are passible in the area and things can get up and running, a big problem is the ability get police, medics, etc. for the race. Once the power crews and police are done with one area, they will be pulled to a neighboring area that still needs help. And boy do some of those areas need help. Some of the hardest hit areas will be without power for weeks and are currently under boil water orders. Local law enforcement is going to be working on restoration efforts and handing out meals and supplies for quite some time.

Last year after Irma, they had to cancel Escape to Miami just because they couldn’t pull resources away from people in the state who still needed help. Downtown Miami was totally okay by the time the race would have happened. But, they cancelled it because of the amount of resources needed to close down streets, assist athletes, etc. And that race was only an olympic.
Quote Reply

Prev Next