Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [splashrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was Ali and Blummenfelt, I believe, in Edmonton. First time I noticed Big Blum.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Pubes? Kyle Yay? Romulus?

How many accounts do you need?

Do you speak English?
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure Tim cares if he is an uber biker. I think he just wants to win races.

However, I'm going to point out three other times he biked well

2002 World Duathlon? Tim ran the first run leg with the legendary Benny Vansteelant then was in a 3 man break with Benny until he wisely dropped back to the pack (and won the race). Now Benny was an uber biker!

2005/6 when when Tim won the ITU WC in Switzerland he bridged the gap to the lead group, on the bike, then won the race.

2008 Athens Olympics in the was in the lead pack on that very tough course but didn't have the legs on the run. Fantastic victory by Hamish Carter.
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Phillip Graves?!?! Your list is a joke//

Go back and read the list, Phillip did not make it, we talked about it earlier. List ok for you now???

No. Your list is terrible for all the reasons mentioned above. The fact that you would consider Graves if he had more performances like he did in the only Kona he competed in in 2009, simply because they showed him on TV - when in fact he only had the 25th fastest bike time shows you have no idea what you are talking about. Including Bjorn Andersson, Sanders, and Starky? And leaving off Peter Reid, Macca, Sindballe, Faris, Crowie, Mark Allen, Dave Scott (who at age 40, finished only 3 min down on the bike to your boy Jurgen Zack), all of whom had fastest bike splits and consistently top bike splits? What a joke. Then again, the list in and of itself is a joke.
Last edited by: aerobike: May 29, 17 8:11
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Marino belongs in that list too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Not sure what races you are referring to, but Pigg was in a different class than Jimmy, and he would probably be the first to tell you that himself. But keep trying, gotta be at least one more I have forgotten.

Abe Rogers via texting -

Abe Rogers wrote:
There are plenty of races he [Jimmy] and Pigg did that. And plenty of other races where Pigg wasn't there and jimmy dusted the field on the bike and went on to win the race. There are race articles that cover all of this because I remember reading them. Or I was personally at the races. Maybe I'll just pull up the magazine articles and TV coverage from those races

fun topic. Thanks Monty. not sure why some folks can't wrap their heads around the concept of uber cyclist, but they are providing entertainment regardless

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: May 29, 17 7:21
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fun topic. Thanks Monty. not sure why some folks can't wrap their heads around the concept of uber cyclist, but they are providing entertainment regardless //

Ya some people just cannot see the forest through the trees. But is can be entertaining, up to the point it is irritating.. (-;

And yes Marino should be on the list, he spent a lot of time with his nose in the wind over his career, often times winning it on the bike...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Sindballe

Hellriegel

Thomas H. made my first cut, you must have missed him on my list on page 1 here. And for Sinballe, he also goes into the T.O., Spencer Smith, Wolfgang, and many other category. Had uber rides in his career, but I would not classify him as one of my complete uber riders. You yourself have had some uber rides too, but not enough or dominant enough to make that list of I think 13 I have now. Check it out closer and let me know what you think of all those guys.

Honestly, I think that's BS.

Sindballe held the Kona course record, something Lieto and a host of others on your list never did.

Sindballe's also a 2x World Champ.

To leave him off the list is absurd. Only decision you've made that I disagree with.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sindballe held the Kona course record, something Lieto and a host of others on your list never did.

Sindballe's also a 2x World Champ. //

World champ does not really factor much into this, and I could be talked into him getting on my list. I don't recall how he rode in 1/2 Ironmans, did he also go off the front and solo there, did he virtually always have the fastest bike splits? Not just by seconds mind you joining the front group times, but minutes ahead of those lead packs?

Like I said, there are a ton of guys that had uber rides in their careers, Torbjorn among them. So a few uber rides dont get you into that elite category, but an entire career history does. But like I said, I'm very foggy on how he raced outside of Hawaii, so enlighten me if you are bored....(-;

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Sindballe made his first big imprint at the inaugural 2002 Ironman California 70.3 in Oceanside. There he soundly whipped the likes of Craig Walton, Tim DeBoom, Cameron Brown, Craig Alexander, Chris Lieto, Steve Larsen, Chris Legh not only with his bike, but with a race–record 1:12:43 half marathon."

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...to_Gallery_1627.html

He had some monster half-performances. Raced in Europe, as you might expect, more often. But that Oceanside performance was pretty epic in terms of who he beat. Basically EVERY uber-biker on your list...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok ok, you convinced me, or rather his results did. I do not recall that race, will have to go back and have a look...

Trobjorn Sinballe, come on down, you are an uber biker!!!!

So here is my updated list thus far:

Lionel Sanders
Sebastain Keinle
Starky
Cameron Dye
Bjorn Anderson
Marino Van Honniker
Norman Stadler
Chris Leito
Torbjorn Sinballe
Steve Larsen
Craig Walton
JurgenZack
Thomas Helleriegal
Mike Pigg
John Howard

Last edited by: monty: May 29, 17 10:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think the list is pretty good
I would think sindalle but i think career too short at the same time one of the few close to uberbikers to make the podium in kona.

now females ( a start)
i guess clear no 1 karin thuerig ( uci time trial world champ)
paula
duffy
emma carney
bademan
ryf
wellington
holly lawrence
spirig has literay100s of times pulled the lead pack back virtually alone on the bike
Last edited by: pk: May 29, 17 10:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maik Twelsiek broke Hellriegel's IM Lanzarote bike course record. He belongs on the list. Been at the front in Kona on many occasions.

Emily Cocks
Last edited by: swimmerwhotris: May 29, 17 10:33
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [swimmerwhotris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maik Twelsiek broke Hellriegel's IM Lanzarote bike course record. He belongs on the list. Been at the front in Kona on many occasions. //

I had a thought about Maik, but he has just been too inconsistent. He does ride to the front a lot, but often blows, and I don't mean just on the run. He had definitely had some uber rides, but on given days he would get beat by many other riders. My uber list of guys almost always have the fastest bike splits, almost never blowing up on the bike. I put Maik at about Miki Weisse territory. Leaving out Mike's doping suspension, they both go for it on the bike but often falter before the run even starts..But sometimes not, thus they both have many uber rides under their belts..

And breaking old records from a different generation of athletes is not really a consideration, just a long data point to go along with a lot of other evidence. Maik has had a couple great rides in Hawaii, but he does not blow the field of bikers away like Hellriegel's past performances..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Ok ok, you convinced me, or rather his results did. I do not recall that race, will have to go back and have a look...

Trobjorn Sinballe, come on down, you are an uber biker!!!!

So here is my updated list thus far:

Lionel Sanders
Sebastain Keinle
Starky
Cameron Dye
Bjorn Anderson
Marino Van Honniker
Norman Stadler
Chris Leito
Torbjorn Sinballe
Steve Larsen
Craig Walton
JurgenZack
Thomas Helleriegal
Mike Pigg
John Howard

So A.B rides solo in front of what was supposed to be a strong field (including your top 2 of this list, but I'm sure its not in any order (at least I hope its not). Sanders and Keinle ride 'together" and put virtually no time into him. A.B. actually extends his lead on Keinle.

A.B. drags 2 Olympic fields around the course on his way to 2 Olympic golds and he's not on the list?

In recent races, has A.B. ever not led most of the race pulling the field along except when his younger brother tried to take a pull or 2?

Following long course racing is going to be a lot like golf when Tiger was in his prime. Who's coming in 2'nd?

Tiger almost never lost when he had the 54 hole lead. That's A.B. off the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about Kenny Souza and Benny Vansteelant?

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [aerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aerobike wrote:
MI_Mumps wrote:
Pubes? Kyle Yay? Romulus?

How many accounts do you need?

Do you speak English?

Not sure what you mean, but I got visions of Samuel L Jackson from Pulp Ficion...

I know you're not actually Kiley, just the grumpy anonymous DB know-it-all vibe was very similar to his previous style.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So A.B rides solo in front of what was supposed to be a strong field (including your top 2 of this list, //

They are not the top 2, I just tried to put them in some sort of chronological order, so the top guys are the ones still competing.

And like I have said a few times now, one, two or a few uber rides does not make the uber biker. But you are right, about 95% confidence that in the next match up with Ali and a bunch of the guys on my list, he will get there with the fewest data points of anyone I have on my list.

Of course he has a huge ITU career dominating all comers, but it is just a tad more difficult to know just how good some of those guys are on the bike. We are finding out right now at this moment that he was certainly the class of that sport on the bike(as well as the other two events)

So no big deal if you want to anoint him right now after one event mixing it up with a couple big Ubers, I will wait for one more if you don't mind. Lets give Lionel one more chance, he did say he was well off his power in the last race, and Keinle is notoriously not on best form this early in the year, so maybe next time they both close 3 minutes on him and whoever decides to ride his pace out of the water..

I have said in other Lionel threads, I don't believe he left much on the table, a new paradigm for him now that he gets to swim a lot harder, gonna take a bit of watts off his bike. So I fully expect Ali to pretty much do the same thing as he just did, but it will be a much larger field with more uber bikers present, so should be a fitting end to my fence sitting.... (-;
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [zeusrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about Kenny Souza and Benny Vansteelant?

Another sport, but of course both those guys would make it for duathlon. Maybe Matt Brick too?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
So A.B rides solo in front of what was supposed to be a strong field (including your top 2 of this list, //

They are not the top 2, I just tried to put them in some sort of chronological order, so the top guys are the ones still competing.

And like I have said a few times now, one, two or a few uber rides does not make the uber biker. But you are right, about 95% confidence that in the next match up with Ali and a bunch of the guys on my list, he will get there with the fewest data points of anyone I have on my list.

Of course he has a huge ITU career dominating all comers, but it is just a tad more difficult to know just how good some of those guys are on the bike. We are finding out right now at this moment that he was certainly the class of that sport on the bike(as well as the other two events)

So no big deal if you want to anoint him right now after one event mixing it up with a couple big Ubers, I will wait for one more if you don't mind. Lets give Lionel one more chance, he did say he was well off his power in the last race, and Keinle is notoriously not on best form this early in the year, so maybe next time they both close 3 minutes on him and whoever decides to ride his pace out of the water..

I have said in other Lionel threads, I don't believe he left much on the table, a new paradigm for him now that he gets to swim a lot harder, gonna take a bit of watts off his bike. So I fully expect Ali to pretty much do the same thing as he just did, but it will be a much larger field with more uber bikers present, so should be a fitting end to my fence sitting.... (-;

Or maybe it was Ali who had the off day (It was only his 2nd Tri past Oly distance!) And the two uber bikers had a good day.
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or maybe it was Ali who had the off day (It was only his 2nd Tri past Oly distance!) And the two uber bikers had a good day. //

Quite possible, not probable, that is why I would like just one more race with most the big names present, rested, and tapered to figure out where he fits into the whole non drafting echelon. If there are 10 super guys racing, not likely they will all have bad or off races on the same day...(-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Or maybe it was Ali who had the off day (It was only his 2nd Tri past Oly distance!) And the two uber bikers had a good day. //

Quite possible, not probable, that is why I would like just one more race with most the big names present, rested, and tapered to figure out where he fits into the whole non drafting echelon. If there are 10 super guys racing, not likely they will all have bad or off races on the same day...(-;

But they will say they did :)
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This has got to be one of the most derailed threads lately...

Anyway, Thorbjørn Sindballe has also authored some very good books about triathlon, albeit in Danish.

This one is quite popular and i found it be a good read to cover a lot of bases:

https://www.saxo.com/...aeftet_9788702129410
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [jakesdk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does Don ever share his race data?

Sanders files from AZ show the rides as 110miles (177km) and the run 26.0 miles.

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/athlete/workout/YOYYRQ5AQ4BYLPNLFKJB6UTV64

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/athlete/workout/6BY2VTM3TCB2IYHGGBZ367MNKQ

I am not trying to diminish Don's achievement. Just interested in how direct the comparison is.
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [jakesdk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This has got to be one of the most derailed threads lately... //

No kidding, what was that derailleur thinking? It did say uber biker in the title though, so not that much of a stretch on the direction this thread has taken. Perhaps I should start a new one so everyone can get all riled up...(-;
Quote Reply

Prev Next