Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes Yoder was a strong potential candidate, but then he too fizzled early in his career. But he definitely started out heading for uber territory.

The guys on my list all began as great bikers, then race their entire careers going off the front, or chasing from behind and out splitting everyone else on the bike leg. It never stopped being their #1 weapon. Some of the potential Ubers just faded and lost their mojo, others just backed off and had brilliant careers as all rounders. I think we are getting down to my dozen or so now, still considering any other nominees.
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Phil Graves? If so he's concentrating on cycling these days. He had problems with running injuries.

Yes that was the guy, sorry to hear about his issues, but good he can still cycle. He was a monster on the bike, but for my category here you have to have had somewhat of a career longer than a couple years.
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Matt

I applaud anyone that comes on here and has the balls to step up to the plate and bring this up. We really need to start a Private Facebook Group for pros and start discussing this stuff internally as well. We need change and it isn't happening.

1. TriRoost has a private forum for pros.

2. What about that Pro Union or whatever it was called (and Jesus, no one needs to tell me it's not a real union.)

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
A few to add:

Alistair
Chrissie

T.O. (look at his last few Kona bike results puts him at or near the fastest) //

Well this is just my mens list, we can start a Womens if people care. Bike companies don't seem to, women uber bikers just don't and never have sold a single bike.

And I do not consider Allistar an uber biker just yet, but he is knocking on the door. We need some more non drafting results under his belt first, the 70.3 WC should be a good final exam for him.

And no on T.O., he is part of that group just under, has the occasional uber ride, but not a consistent uber biker. There are lots of guys that have that occasional uber ride, but you almost always see it when a "real" uber biker is not present, or off form for some reason. The real uber bikers almost always showed superior form on the bike, and almost never rode in the lead group for more than a brief rest period.

I forget the guys name, a British kid that was a front pack swimmer and off the front biker. He seemed to fade after a couple years though, what happened to him, anyone know? When he first hit the scent I though he would achieve that uber status, but like the Ralerts something different happened and kind of fizzled out.

Good point on Chrissie. Fair enough on T.O.

I'll politely disagree on Alistair. He led those draft packs on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alistair is definitely an uber biker. In the ITU, he would just sit on the front all day then run away from everyone.

He's probably the strongest cyclist triathlon has seen and clearly leaves enough gas in the tank by backing it up with a stellar run.
When he's solo, the man likes to jog the last 1/2 mile, high five, and kiss babies before crossing the line. Don't be fooled thinking second place was "running him down" toward the end of any race.

Only time will tell at this point
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [mattchrbt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Matt thanks for the input. As you know, unless you are in that lead group, or the one chasing him, it is hard to tell just how strong Ali really is. We all know he is a beast, but it really doest show to the fans until he rides some races on his own. His first test against Lionel was in uber territory for sure, and like I said earlier, one or two more like that will erase all doubt.

Of course you were in many of those races with him up close and personal, so you have a much closer perspective on it. Not to mention that you have had your share of uber rides yourself. And since you are here, you seemed to be super aggressive and uber in ITU racing, never really settled or comfortable just letting the lead group be your fairing. When you came to non draft it seems(to me) that you toned down that aggressiveness on the bike? You had strong rides for sure, what was your strategy once you moved over?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course you were in many of those races with him up close and personal, so you have a much closer perspective on it.

------

The podcast interview he did last year w/ Ryan Riell was best insight on Brownlees' front pack tactics I've ever heard from an itu guy. Really really good interview.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Hey Matt thanks for the input. As you know, unless you are in that lead group, or the one chasing him, it is hard to tell just how strong Ali really is. We all know he is a beast, but it really doest show to the fans until he rides some races on his own. His first test against Lionel was in uber territory for sure, and like I said earlier, one or two more like that will erase all doubt.

Of course you were in many of those races with him up close and personal, so you have a much closer perspective on it. Not to mention that you have had your share of uber rides yourself. And since you are here, you seemed to be super aggressive and uber in ITU racing, never really settled or comfortable just letting the lead group be your fairing. When you came to non draft it seems(to me) that you toned down that aggressiveness on the bike? You had strong rides for sure, what was your strategy once you moved over?

At St. George, Don had a solid bike, but still around 4 min behind Brownlee + Sanders + Kienle. That puts him more like 10 min behind them in an IM.

I don't think we can attribute the 20+ min that Don had on his peers to the vehicle/motos/press, but maybe half of that seems reasonable.
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok so 10 minutes, can we then attribute the other 10 to the run? Going that much faster on watts that don't justify it don't happen in a vacuum. That was my point in talking about the top 10 Womens times. Never before have I seen such a grouping of average pro women, and with such fast bike times all right around each other.

Yes the swim was short about 300 meters, but that wouldn't account for their overall times. It had to be a faster and easier than normal bike that led to much faster runs than usual too. And the weather played right into this perfect storm too. It all just smells fishy...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what's the chance Don was in heavy training at St. George and that's the reason he was off that front bike group?

Charbot's cycling on strava this past spring has been sick - a string of 120+ mile rides.

for your list - Jimmy Riccitello seeing how he and Pigg would build insurmountable leads off the bike together

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Craig Walton and young Spencer Smith (before he started going long)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Ok so 10 minutes, can we then attribute the other 10 to the run? Going that much faster on watts that don't justify it don't happen in a vacuum. That was my point in talking about the top 10 Womens times. Never before have I seen such a grouping of average pro women, and with such fast bike times all right around each other.

Yes the swim was short about 300 meters, but that wouldn't account for their overall times. It had to be a faster and easier than normal bike that led to much faster runs than usual too. And the weather played right into this perfect storm too. It all just smells fishy...

I think if we say 10 min from the moto, so 44 min swim + 4:16 bike....that would seem to be reasonable for Tim....but by getting off the bike earlier you're just more fresh (assuming getting off the bike in 4:06 off the same watts he does 4:38 in Kona). I do think 2:45 run is totally in Don's range and getting off the bike early with low TSS you're more likely to run fast. Plus perfect weather for a fast run.

Kudos to Tim. He used the race conditions to his advantage. It's not his fault if the lead vehicles can't drive fast enough to get out of his way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a few reasons why I dialed it back a bit on the bike.

1. From 2008-2011 I really only opted to go hard on the bike because ITU breakaways were very rare and I felt like my chances of success increased if I could get 30-60s lead on the competition. To my dismay, once I walked away from ITU the front group of 15 swimmers eventually figured out that if they all ride hard the first 15-25km instead of a 5km lap, they all perform well in the end.

2. I think one of the biggest problems in non-draft for smaller guys is that we're essentially on the same size and weight bike as someone that weighs 10+ pounds more, just with smaller engines. In terms of frontal surface area, we're very close as well. It just helps to have a few extra pounds of muscle for the engine.
Brent told me he put on a few Kg since his ITU days. I have too, but not as much as I like.
---this brings up another point about Tim's bike in Brazil. Him and I weigh virtually the same and tiny guys arent known for being Uber bikers.
Case in point: Nairo Quintana in the last stage of the Giro lost it not only because he's a "bad time trialist." The smaller you are, the greater disadvantage you have on a flat course where being light isn't beneficial

3. My strategy now that I've moved over to long course is the same. "Ride hard enough to stay in the race without emptying the tank for the run"
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [mattchrbt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattchrbt wrote:
There's a few reasons why I dialed it back a bit on the bike.

1. From 2008-2011 I really only opted to go hard on the bike because ITU breakaways were very rare and I felt like my chances of success increased if I could get 30-60s lead on the competition. To my dismay, once I walked away from ITU the front group of 15 swimmers eventually figured out that if they all ride hard the first 15-25km instead of a 5km lap, they all perform well in the end.

2. I think one of the biggest problems in non-draft for smaller guys is that we're essentially on the same size and weight bike as someone that weighs 10+ pounds more, just with smaller engines. In terms of frontal surface area, we're very close as well. It just helps to have a few extra pounds of muscle for the engine.
Brent told me he put on a few Kg since his ITU days. I have too, but not as much as I like.
---this brings up another point about Tim's bike in Brazil. Him and I weigh virtually the same and tiny guys arent known for being Uber bikers.
Case in point: Nairo Quintana in the last stage of the Giro lost it not only because he's a "bad time trialist." The smaller you are, the greater disadvantage you have on a flat course where being light isn't beneficial

3. My strategy now that I've moved over to long course is the same. "Ride hard enough to stay in the race without emptying the tank for the run"

Just wanted to say thanks for articulating the challenge of the smaller athletes pushing the same size wheel and inherently having to pay that "tax" off a smaller engine. Romaine Guillaume does a pretty good job, but he generally pays on the run. He's always in the mix after the swim-bike. Have you considered a 650 bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [kbd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Craig Walton and young Spencer Smith (before he started going long)

Yes to Craig, had forgotten about that guy. Very similar to Cameron Dye. No to Spencer, as you said, for whatever reason he dialed it back or the rest just caught up after his first couple years. He is more in the T.O. category.
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [Kristoffer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kristoffer wrote:

You do the math. :)

No. I'll do the maths.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You forgot Wolfgang
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sindballe

Hellriegel

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [raceboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You forgot Wolfgang //

No I didn't, talked about him earlier in the thread
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sindballe

Hellriegel

Thomas H. made my first cut, you must have missed him on my list on page 1 here. And for Sinballe, he also goes into the T.O., Spencer Smith, Wolfgang, and many other category. Had uber rides in his career, but I would not classify him as one of my complete uber riders. You yourself have had some uber rides too, but not enough or dominant enough to make that list of I think 13 I have now. Check it out closer and let me know what you think of all those guys.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Sindballe

Hellriegel

Thomas H. made my first cut, you must have missed him on my list on page 1 here. And for Sinballe, he also goes into the T.O., Spencer Smith, Wolfgang, and many other category. Had uber rides in his career, but I would not classify him as one of my complete uber riders. You yourself have had some uber rides too, but not enough or dominant enough to make that list of I think 13 I have now. Check it out closer and let me know what you think of all those guys.

for your list - Jimmy Riccitello seeing how he and Pigg would build insurmountable leads off the bike together

Was just thinking Sindballe after Helle Fredericksen posted a video of her biking with him today

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure what races you are referring to, but Pigg was in a different class than Jimmy, and he would probably be the first to tell you that himself. But keep trying, gotta be at least one more I have forgotten.
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
afurlong wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Matt

I applaud anyone that comes on here and has the balls to step up to the plate and bring this up. We really need to start a Private Facebook Group for pros and start discussing this stuff internally as well. We need change and it isn't happening.

1. TriRoost has a private forum for pros.

2. What about that Pro Union or whatever it was called (and Jesus, no one needs to tell me it's not a real union.)

The problem is that the body of pros on TriRoost is small. We need a service where everyone is already a part of it and they don't need to go to another place. That is the beauty of Facebook. If you are a part of a secret group those threads will bubble to the surface in notifications and/or the Newsfeed and nearly everyone has an account already. I am tempted to take it up but we need a bigger pro that will spearhead the project.

The Pro Union is a yet another massive failure IMHO.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jurgen Zach ?

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [zeusrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jurgen is on my original list, you are just spelling his last name wrong.
Quote Reply

Prev Next