Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Jurgen is on my original list, you are just spelling his last name wrong.

Well, to be fair, so are you :P but umlauts are a pain in the ass.

Brad Kearns? Maybe. Maybe it was the aerobars ...

Yanti Ardie of Y Tri Multisport & Majick Juice for lasting critter defense & skin soothing
~ World Open Water Swimming Association Coach & Official
~ IRONMAN Certified Coach (Founding Member)
~ Triathlon Australia Professional Development Coach
~ 3 by the Sea: my Journey from death to ...
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:
Look at his twitter page. His coaching company is called "Dirty Fast Coaching". Pretty ballsy for a guy who served a ban for missing drug tests, was told he would never race the Olympics again....and controversially missed more drug tests and was allowed to race.

Tim was responsible with regard to missing those tests. Unless you have information that I don't have, his reasoning was pretty legit seeing how the protocol for out of competition testing was still relatively new.

Tim Don wrote:
On two occasions I was travelling overseas to represent Britain in international competition and failed to amend my location details. On the third occasion I went to an athletics competition in Loughborough which ran late. I arrived back home later than intended and minutes after the one hour window that is given for testing had expired."

He took full responsibility for his actions.... and it's been argued by others before that British athletics should have ensured that Don's location known if he was competing for and representing GB. Not to take responsibility off the shoulders of the athlete, but I do agree GB could have made an effort as a back up to ensure their athletes are meeting out of competition testing protocols. In this case, I just don't think the rock throwing is well founded.

Why did it happen in 2006 - AND 2008. Wouldn't you think you would learn your lesson? I don't know Tim, I just know if he was named Lance, or you were talking to someone with common sense.....that being busted (or conveniently missing the testing) 2X should result in questioning anything the guy lays down.

Does it take fitness and awesomeness to break the WR..YEP.....does his past make me question the legitimacy of his effort....YEP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your list is a joke when you leave off Brownlee and Frodeno. Frodeno has proven is bike strength time and time again. And your asking a guy (Brownlee) who has 2 Olympic golds and more wins than most of your list combined to prove himself? That is just dumb
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SO you think that makes my list a joke. I already said a couple times that Allistar is knocking on the door, probably will leave no doubt at the 70.3 worlds. It is tough to rate ITU guys, but he for sure is the best of that group.

And Frondeno, come on now. There are 3 guys on the list that routinely beat him in 1/2 and full ironman rides. Starky, Keinle, and now Sanders all outride him in virtually every race they do together. He is a great biker, and uber triathlete, but uber biker, don't think so. And even if you go back a couple decades, those other guys on my list probably beat him too. Hell, Normans record is still out there for the taking, Leito just a few seconds behind, both riders doing it pretty much off the front too..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am wondering if guys like Frodeno or Mark Allen or Brownlee would be on your uber cyclists list if they just wanted a big lead off the bike. Look at your list, most relied on the bike and could never follow it up with a great run.
Pigg could short course, but not at Ironman.
If you put it all out there on the bike, you may seem faster than the guy that takes the overall win.
Not saying your guys aren't uber, just that many had to go all in. Not sure there aren't a lot more that know that the winner is almost always a great runner too.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
Your list is a joke when you leave off Brownlee and Frodeno. Frodeno has proven is bike strength time and time again. And your asking a guy (Brownlee) who has 2 Olympic golds and more wins than most of your list combined to prove himself? That is just dumb

Yup. Someone appointed Monty Pope today, he's rolling. Could you possibly make 'My List,'?, Alistair...not worthy. Hmmm. T.O.? Not worthy...Hmmm. It's a nostalgia trip for the old school, take it for what it is...not sure your list matters.

------------------

- I do all my own stunts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monty- Regarding Frodeno- you may want to recheck the 2015 70.3 World Championship, and the last 2 Kona's. Frodeno rides exactly what he needs to ride to win the races he wants to win, nothing more and nothing less. Exactly as Brownlee does. Frodeno lost the 70.3 World's in Canada when he underestimated Javier's run. He did not let that happen again in Austria, riding off the front and leaving both Keinle and Saunders in his dust. You are allowing yourself to be fooled by over focusing on bike splits. Both Brownlee and Frodeno have consistently shown they can ride the bike as fast as it takes- just ask Matt :-) If you held a 70.3 time trial bike with a million dollar purse- I think you would see Brownlee first, and probably Frodeno second. No doubt all of those on your list are great riders, but I think you underestimate the (legal) advantage Saunders gets in every race sling shoting through the field until he reaches the lead pack. Starky could very well be 2 or 3 as he almost always rides from the front (who knows, maybe even # 1). Another rider you are overlooking is Maca, who used to kill everyone on the bike, until he realized he could win more races by dialing it back when he could.
It is YOUR list, and a good one- hopefully you can appreciate a different perspective :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Phillip Graves
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [piertown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope that Tim Don setting the fastest Ironman brand time shows that the records are a bit pointless!
Everyone here was going crazy about how great Sanders was when he broke the record, but now that Don beat his time handily, it isn't worthwhile due to xyz...

As for ĂĽberbikers, I class them as people who ride off the front at Kona. The people you know will have a lead going into T2. That makes the list pretty short (I am fairly new to triathlon)

Starky
Lieto
Stadler
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:

Who the hell is Monty and why should we care at all about his list?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem is, "Uber bikers" really came to prominence when the top guys usually had a slight weakness. The "Uber bikers" like Pigg, Zack and Stadler etc were the bikers trying to beat the runners. Bike hard to take the run out of the runners legs or get a lead and try to hold on. Chris Lieto trying to get a lead on Crowie and hold on. The Uber Bikers needed to ride off the front to play their best hand, or catch up from a poor swim (Kienle, Sanders).

I agree Alistair Brownlee doesn't really stand out as an uber biker because he is the complete triathlete. The Uber bikers can't do their thing because they can't actually ride up to him after a poor swim, or ride off the front from him. If many of the Uber bikers in your list raced Brownlee at any distance they would risk losing their status as Uber biker because they wouldn't be able to use their weapon to any effect against AB.

AB has actually ridden off the front of the ITU lead pack a few times. The first time as a 20yr old at the 2008 Olympics (got reeled in) but more notably a couple years ago when he was injured, he went off the front of the bike to get a cushion for the run. (Edmonton ITU final I think?) He was also gapping off the front of the London 2012 pack towards the end, testing it. I don't know anyone that has ridden off the front of a brownlee bike pack.

So I think Monty is right. AB does not make the Uber biker list. He's actually retired the uber bikers. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
Frodeno lost the 70.3 World's in Canada when he underestimated Javier's run. He did not let that happen again in Austria, riding off the front and leaving both Keinle and Saunders in his dust.

Just to clarify things a bit, Javier had been very sick right before the 2015 Zell am See WC and it was surprise that he raced at all. Lionel did not do this race so it's not a surprise Frodo left him behind;) So you're giving Frodo a bit of extra credit for those performances.

IntenseOne wrote:
I think you underestimate the (legal) advantage Saunders gets in every race sling shoting through the field until he reaches the lead pack.

The pro rules,unlike amateur rules, do not allow sling shotting .

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about a recent 50 mile TT where Ali came in third less than a minute behind Graves? https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/...-report/14696#anchor

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the race. I think it was legit beside maybe the swim

Swim: didn't wear a gps but swim times did seem a few minutes faster than expected. Current or distance I don't know

Bike: my garmin reads 180.0 and it's officially 180.2 I think

Run: garmin reads 41.9 and I turned it on a few 100 meter out of t2

The weather was very good for racing and it's a fast course
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
milesthedog wrote:
How many times down Don have to bike close to 2 in 70.3's and close to 4 in iron distance races until you'll grant him access to that club? Or, do we accuse him of drafting the moto every time he cranks out an amazing bike time? Or, does it only count if it's Hawaii? Or, should he have scrapped Brazil and put everything on the line at St. George to gain entry into that club?
\

The thing about IM Brazil is that it's infamous for the aerotow provided to the front biker. Last year when Tim went 4:22 on the bike there were videos posted of Brent Mcmahon enjoying the heck out of the lead moto and going 4:11. It looks as if perhaps it's possible that Tim learned a lesson from that and went right to the front from the get go. I'm sure we'll eventually get reports of how the front end of the race looked to others like we did last year.

Paulo certainly was alluding to something today..

Paulo Sousa‏ @pstriathlon 14h14 hours ago
More
Pretty dark times for our sport when the best case scenario is 112 miles of motorpacing.
5 replies5 retweets25 likes
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barlow wrote:
AB has actually ridden off the front of the ITU lead pack a few times. The first time as a 20yr old at the 2008 Olympics (got reeled in) but more notably a couple years ago when he was injured, he went off the front of the bike to get a cushion for the run. (Edmonton ITU final I think?) He was also gapping off the front of the London 2012 pack towards the end, testing it. I don't know anyone that has ridden off the front of a brownlee bike pack.

So I think Monty is right. AB does not make the Uber biker list. He's actually retired the uber bikers. ;-)

I think there were a few of them in Edmonton. AB did ride solo for a couple of laps at the end of Stockholm in 2013 if I remember, when he was injured and raced the Grand Final on one leg.

Is there any photo / video evidence of Don getting a moto draft yesterday?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
well, if I ever bike 4:06 just once and even if the course is 12 miles short and at some local YMCA triathlon, I'm on the f'n list

If it's at your local Y, then the bike leg is most likely a total of 12 miles, which would put you just south of 3mph with a 4:06. That might not get you on 'The List'.
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:
IntenseOne wrote:

If anyone gets to make the approval list on Uberbikers it is Monty. He had a front row seat to a lot of this in the early days and invented stupid transition time saving gadgets like lace locks from camping gear.

But can we get back to Tim Don. How come no one asked for a power file. That should take care of most of this discussion when we see he cranked off this time off barely 3.65 W per Kilo (I am guessing wildly here, but let's get a file).

Also I assume they have had "controle anti-dopage" at this race and he has been subject to a bunch of tests out of competition this year during some of his crazy fast biking at the likes of Compeche and Lizhou. Before anyone jumps all over me, if athletes are posting fast times, it's going to be asked.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: May 29, 17 4:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Phil Graves? If so he's concentrating on cycling these days. He had problems with running injuries.

Yes that was the guy, sorry to hear about his issues, but good he can still cycle. He was a monster on the bike, but for my category here you have to have had somewhat of a career longer than a couple years.

Phillip Graves?!?! Your list is a joke. Phillip Graves didn't even have close to the fastest bike time in the only Ironman that he did in Kona '09. You are clouded by watching him start the ride at the front of the pack but seemed to have forgotten that he very quickly got overtaken by - just about everyone in the pro field. (He landed up with the 25th fastest bike split that day) But the fact that you consider including him on your list, just shows what a joke of a list it is. Leaving off Sindballe? What a joke considering you love Lieto and Sindballe had a faster bike split than Lieto in every single Ironman they ever raced together. You include Starky and Sanders who have done nothing in Kona yet and leave off Ain-Alar Juhanson and Maik Twelsiek? Talk about uberbikers.

And yet this whole notion of uberbiker is absurb. The sport is a triathlon. Any one of the very top Ironman athletes can have the fastest bike time should they choose, but it is not a cycling event. Faris al-Sultan could crush the bike and did so with the fastest bike time in 2005 (Peter Reid by the way was only one minute back, the rest of the field, far back) and close to the fastest in just about every Ironman he ever did. Peter Reid also had the fastest bike split in 1998. Crowie had the fastest bike split in 2011; Macca had several fastest bike splits in Kona (and certainly could do it every year had he chosen) at the beginning of his career. Tim Deboom was within seconds of Hellreigel in 2001. Pete Jacobs was only 1 minute slower than Kienle in 2012 (and Dirk Bockel was only a few second slower, yet you are convinced Kienle makes the list). Luke McKenzie was faster than Kienle in 2013 and finished ahead of him in the race). Frodo, Llanos, and and TO all rode within seconds of Kienle in 2015.

If there is an uberbiker in Ironman, his name is Normann Stadler. He by far and away had the biggest time gaps (20-30 minute gaps) to any other bike time. Kienle? Pshh. Lionel Sanders? Bjorn Andersson? Jurgen Zack? Please... But even then, I think Stadler would take offense to being called an uberbiker
Last edited by: aerobike: May 29, 17 6:44
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
TriguyBlue wrote:
IntenseOne wrote:

If anyone gets to make the approval list on Uberbikers it is Monty. He had a front row seat to a lot of this in the early days and invented stupid transition time saving gadgets like lace locks from camping gear.

In life, I have learned people are often clouded by their own biases and misperceptions of what they want to believe happened to support their theses, versus statistics, data, and reality...
Last edited by: aerobike: May 29, 17 5:32
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
milesthedog wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:
Look at his twitter page. His coaching company is called "Dirty Fast Coaching". Pretty ballsy for a guy who served a ban for missing drug tests, was told he would never race the Olympics again....and controversially missed more drug tests and was allowed to race.

Tim was responsible with regard to missing those tests. Unless you have information that I don't have, his reasoning was pretty legit seeing how the protocol for out of competition testing was still relatively new.

Tim Don wrote:
On two occasions I was travelling overseas to represent Britain in international competition and failed to amend my location details. On the third occasion I went to an athletics competition in Loughborough which ran late. I arrived back home later than intended and minutes after the one hour window that is given for testing had expired."

He took full responsibility for his actions.... and it's been argued by others before that British athletics should have ensured that Don's location known if he was competing for and representing GB. Not to take responsibility off the shoulders of the athlete, but I do agree GB could have made an effort as a back up to ensure their athletes are meeting out of competition testing protocols. In this case, I just don't think the rock throwing is well founded.

Why did it happen in 2006 - AND 2008. Wouldn't you think you would learn your lesson? I don't know Tim, I just know if he was named Lance, or you were talking to someone with common sense.....that being busted (or conveniently missing the testing) 2X should result in questioning anything the guy lays down.

Does it take fitness and awesomeness to break the WR..YEP.....does his past make me question the legitimacy of his effort....YEP.

If Don's excuses were so legit and understandable, how come other pros have not had issues with missing testing? It must also be inconvenient for others to be tested? Surely others travel frequently? Yet missing tests is not endemic to triathletes... hmmmm.

Also, I would really like to see Don's powerfile from yesterday.
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
milesthedog wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:

Tim Don wrote:

and there's the part I wasn't aware of: that it happened again in 2008. much appreciated for pointing that out

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [aerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Phillip Graves?!?! Your list is a joke//

Go back and read the list, Phillip did not make it, we talked about it earlier. List ok for you now???

Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [aerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pubes? Kyle Yay? Romulus?

How many accounts do you need?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I missed him when I looked at your list. Apologies for the spelling. English is my first language.

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply

Prev Next