Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well for sure the swim was short in this race, at the very least it swam out short. We will have to wait for gamins and eye witness's from the lead vehicle to determine the other two events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Course records are fine as long as the course remains the same. Tim's performance today is amazing and I do not really care if he has the fastest ironman branded time or the fastest any ironman time. Tim is killing it today and it is amazing to follow.

how many guys will go under 8 hours today?
Last edited by: BMANX: May 28, 17 9:48
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
Course records are fine as long as the course remains the same. Tim's performance today is amazing and I do not really care if he has the fastest ironman branded time or the fastest any ironman time. Tim is killing it today and it is amazing to follow.

how many guys will go under 8 hours today?
This! Even though no two results on different days will be truly comparable I am still fine with this. World records or "ironman best" no unless its on a measured course. If Don comes close to Frodos 7:35 you would expect him to be a real competitor to frodo in Kona, but im not that worried...

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just had a gander over to the Womens results thus far, and all of the top 8 women have bike splits at 4;55 or better(except 1 at 4;58) And most I haven't heard of, and certainly no female uber bikers in that group. Something going on with the bike course besides any Moto help, huge red flag..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty much but i also am ok w all these "records" because it's really just fodder. Because "records" and precision courses have never really been all that important in triathlon (more due to obvious reason of 3 different courses having to always be measured out etc).

I read dev Paul's info on the run course at Kona from back in the day including T2 time. So triathlon "records" always to me were like okkk....if IM wants to say bike course record is X on an short course...alrighty then. Just go with it.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Usually, Floripa is fast. Today: a little wet (light rain in te morning), but the strong wind didn't show up today. The distance is accurate. But..there isn't no match for him in the bike segment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few to add:

Alistair
Chrissie

T.O. (look at his last few Kona bike results puts him at or near the fastest)
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [Tricoastal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7:40:23

Not too shabby from The Don
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [r0bh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look at his twitter page. His coaching company is called "Dirty Fast Coaching". Pretty ballsy for a guy who served a ban for missing drug tests, was told he would never race the Olympics again....and controversially missed more drug tests and was allowed to race.
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [Tricoastal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrat's to Tim Don on a new IM World Record.

The weather in Brazil is perfect to go fast right now. Zero wind, damp, but not much rain, 60-65F and mid way through Tim's run a misty rain started. It doesn't get much faster.

If you watch the you kind of get an idea what's going on with the vehicles. (The quality is so-so at best, but as a fellow IM fan I'll take what ever coverage I can get!)

On a side note, I chalked up another DNF here at IM Brazil as I've been dealing with odd leg spasm issues after a couple easy days. Easy swim then refocusing on a good effort for IM Boulder in 2 weeks.

IM Brazil, according to Strava, is a fairly accurate 112 miles.
Here's Kevin Collington's file from last year. Therefore it isn't short like 2017 IMTX.

In order for Kevin to ride 12 minutes faster to keep up with Brent McMahon, according to some rough estimates on Bike Calculator he'd conservatively have to put out 20-30 more watts to ride a 4:11 what Brent rode when he won.

So if Tim factors in some faster wheels, tires, most optimal position, ceramic bearings, elite level cycling coach, clothing, etc we all know he'll ride pretty darn fast anyway. He did in St. George without question.

Now, IF there were issues with a vehicle, it's clear that Tim basically took a page out of Marino's 2015 race and Brent's 2016 strategy, and I don't blame him. Swim front group, go full gas until you get behind the moto. If I were in his shoes, I would've done the same thing -- Dan, feel free to crucify me for saying that.

When we get the lead vehicle and it's not keeping a fair distance, we typically wave it off a couple times but eventually shrug our shoulders and say "this is how it's going to be." To be honest, I've never really had a massive and lengthy advantage by lead vehicles like some of my fellow pros. I've occasionally had a taste of it, but no more than a few seconds. In fact I've had more problems of them getting in the way and slowing me down in corners and bottleneck areas than any sort of drafting assistance.

I'll wrap this up by saying IF there really was lead vehicle foul play on a course that has several 180s to get rough and close time splits on competitors, a 20+ minute gap over second place is a bit greedy. Or even a question of poor judgement by either the driver or Tim. Otherwise, as long as it's fair and 100% legit, he had the race of a lifetime and I congratulation again on it.

Jan didn't (or couldn't) put more than 10 minutes into Tyler and Nils at 2016 Roth.

Nor did Starky put that a massive amount of time into the pack at IM Texas.
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One word on IM Brasil....

Moto(s) ... aka motorcade

Whether you love it or hate it, it's a fact (I have seen it in person on that course).

Obviously there should be set rules on this type of thing, but there are none. So if something like this exists, as an athlete you try to take advantage of it...as any of us would and should.

Hopefully things change in the future and rules are put in place. Until then, carry on...

Professional Triathlete
Owner of Blake Becker Multisport Coaching LLC / Team BBMC
blakebeck@gmail.com
http://www.teambbmc.com
Last edited by: Blakebecker: May 28, 17 11:11
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [Kristoffer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kristoffer wrote:
milesthedog wrote:
How many times down Don have to bike close to 2 in 70.3's and close to 4 in iron distance races until you'll grant him access to that club? Or, do we accuse him of drafting the moto every time he cranks out an amazing bike time? Or, does it only count if it's Hawaii? Or, should he have scrapped Brazil and put everything on the line at St. George to gain entry into that club?

Just out of curiosity - Did you consider Tim Don a uberbiker last year (at the same race) when it was McMahon that was sitting behind the lead vehicle?

Last year Brent biked a 4:11 while Tim biked a 4:22.
This year Tim went 4:06 and Brent did 4:29.

You do the math. :)

This is like Ivan Rana's bike splits between the year that he won IM Austria and the next year when Marino took the front of the race and Ivan suddenly lost his bike legs (as he always does in Kona). The key here seems to be who is taking the front of the race and what benefits that comes with.

Don makes the uberbiker list when he solos off the front and smacks Frodo-Brownlee-Sanders-Kienle.

What did the "pace Tesla" look like at Brazil?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Larsen doesn't make your list?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
Look at his twitter page. His coaching company is called "Dirty Fast Coaching". Pretty ballsy for a guy who served a ban for missing drug tests, was told he would never race the Olympics again....and controversially missed more drug tests and was allowed to race.
]

Now Ronny jumping on the bandwagon. I have let my stance be known many times over the years. This is no way about Tim. This is from my own observation where I have either had the lead vehicle or was in a large group. We need change, we need 20m draft zones. We need yellow card drafting penalties that are given out at a snap of the finger for unintentional drafting. We also need the lead vehicle parade so far ahead of the rider, like 1 mile or more. The real benefit comes on open courses when regular vehicle traffic slots in behind lead vehicles. This is where the real damage is done in a very quick manner. Lead vehicles try to speed up, slot in car speeds up, they try to waive the car ahead. The car is like a deer in the headlights and the rider sits in the draft. Boom 30 seconds gap created in 2 minutes.

Last year at Raleigh a couple of us overtook the main pack at Raleigh 70.3 with a Super Heavy Duty Truck pulling a big-ass trailer/boat something. We did such damage to that group we over took in the period of a couple minutes. Although it took many many minutes to catch them (saw them in the distance). We created substantial separation in a matter of minutes thanks to the truck. No imagine if that truck had to pass a lead vehicle and parade.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [mattchrbt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt

I applaud anyone that comes on here and has the balls to step up to the plate and bring this up. We really need to start a Private Facebook Group for pros and start discussing this stuff internally as well. We need change and it isn't happening.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [mattchrbt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattchrbt wrote:
Congrat's to Tim Don on a new IM World Record.

The weather in Brazil is perfect to go fast right now. Zero wind, damp, but not much rain, 60-65F and mid way through Tim's run a misty rain started. It doesn't get much faster.

If you watch the you kind of get an idea what's going on with the vehicles. (The quality is so-so at best, but as a fellow IM fan I'll take what ever coverage I can get!)

On a side note, I chalked up another DNF here at IM Brazil as I've been dealing with odd leg spasm issues after a couple easy days. Easy swim then refocusing on a good effort for IM Boulder in 2 weeks.

IM Brazil, according to Strava, is a fairly accurate 112 miles.
Here's Kevin Collington's file from last year. Therefore it isn't short like 2017 IMTX.

In order for Kevin to ride 12 minutes faster to keep up with Brent McMahon, according to some rough estimates on Bike Calculator he'd conservatively have to put out 20-30 more watts to ride a 4:11 what Brent rode when he won.

So if Tim factors in some faster wheels, tires, most optimal position, ceramic bearings, elite level cycling coach, clothing, etc we all know he'll ride pretty darn fast anyway. He did in St. George without question.

Now, IF there were issues with a vehicle, it's clear that Tim basically took a page out of Marino's 2015 race and Brent's 2016 strategy, and I don't blame him. Swim front group, go full gas until you get behind the moto. If I were in his shoes, I would've done the same thing -- Dan, feel free to crucify me for saying that.

When we get the lead vehicle and it's not keeping a fair distance, we typically wave it off a couple times but eventually shrug our shoulders and say "this is how it's going to be." To be honest, I've never really had a massive and lengthy advantage by lead vehicles like some of my fellow pros. I've occasionally had a taste of it, but no more than a few seconds. In fact I've had more problems of them getting in the way and slowing me down in corners and bottleneck areas than any sort of drafting assistance.

I'll wrap this up by saying IF there really was lead vehicle foul play on a course that has several 180s to get rough and close time splits on competitors, a 20+ minute gap over second place is a bit greedy. Or even a question of poor judgement by either the driver or Tim. Otherwise, as long as it's fair and 100% legit, he had the race of a lifetime and I congratulation again on it.

Jan didn't (or couldn't) put more than 10 minutes into Tyler and Nils at 2016 Roth.

Nor did Starky put that a massive amount of time into the pack at IM Texas.

Thanks for the analysis for for coming on here!

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:

Tim was responsible with regard to missing those tests. Unless you have information that I don't have, his reasoning was pretty legit seeing how the protocol for out of competition testing was still relatively new.

Tim Don wrote:
On two occasions I was travelling overseas to represent Britain in international competition and failed to amend my location details. On the third occasion I went to an athletics competition in Loughborough which ran late. I arrived back home later than intended and minutes after the one hour window that is given for testing had expired."

He took full responsibility for his actions.... and it's been argued by others before that British athletics should have ensured that Don's location known if he was competing for and representing GB. Not to take responsibility off the shoulders of the athlete, but I do agree GB could have made an effort as a back up to ensure their athletes are meeting out of competition testing protocols. In this case, I just don't think the rock throwing is well founded.

Last edited by: milesthedog: May 28, 17 14:39
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As an outsider looking in, I've noticed there are two schools of thought regarding the lead vehicle. One school is the pros who are vocally adamant about keeping the race vehicle far ahead of the lead biker. The second opinion held by WTC (who are very aware of the pros concerns) are interested in getting press, world record times, and press releases from the world record times. If they really wanted a no draft zone in front of the lead cyclist it would take them all of 30 minutes to email and call the appropriate people.

Just my 2¢.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
OK, course legit? //

I will say with 95% confidence that the answer is no. First of all Tim Don is a very good triathlon pro, uber biker, uh no. That is a term that few are deserving of, I can only think of about a dozen or so going way back to the beginning.

I will begin my list, others can add or amend as they see the term used; (and I will of course give my blessing, or not.. (-;

Lionel Sanders
Sebastain Keinle
Starky
Bjorn Anderson
Norman Stadler
Chris Leito
JurgenZack
Thomas Helleriegal
Mike Pigg
John Howard

Steve Larsen
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [dogmile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Larsen doesn't make your list? //

Yes he does, thanks for remembering. RIP brother...
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few to add:

Alistair
Chrissie

T.O. (look at his last few Kona bike results puts him at or near the fastest) //

Well this is just my mens list, we can start a Womens if people care. Bike companies don't seem to, women uber bikers just don't and never have sold a single bike.

And I do not consider Allistar an uber biker just yet, but he is knocking on the door. We need some more non drafting results under his belt first, the 70.3 WC should be a good final exam for him.

And no on T.O., he is part of that group just under, has the occasional uber ride, but not a consistent uber biker. There are lots of guys that have that occasional uber ride, but you almost always see it when a "real" uber biker is not present, or off form for some reason. The real uber bikers almost always showed superior form on the bike, and almost never rode in the lead group for more than a brief rest period.

I forget the guys name, a British kid that was a front pack swimmer and off the front biker. He seemed to fade after a couple years though, what happened to him, anyone know? When he first hit the scent I though he would achieve that uber status, but like the Ralerts something happened and kind of fizzled out.
Quote Reply
Re: Uber Biker Tim Don crushing IM Brasil [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also going to add Cameron Dye to my list. The short course guys often get overlooked I guess in this category, but he has consistently out ridden some of the fastest guys in the world. More than once has Gomez had to run him down late in the race because of his bike prowess. And the dude is still putting down 53 40k rides late in his career, so he gets my nod for uber...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yoder was knocking on the door

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

I forget the guys name, a British kid that was a front pack swimmer and off the front biker. He seemed to fade after a couple years though, what happened to him, anyone know? When he first hit the scent I though he would achieve that uber status, but like the Ralerts something happened and kind of fizzled out.

Phil Graves? If so he's concentrating on cycling these days. He had problems with running injuries.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply

Prev Next