Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you not concerned about the structural integrity of the frame? The willingness of people on this site to drill holes willy nilly into their frames is terrifying.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey folks, if building an IA10 frame from scratch, what is the best rear brake caliper to get?? Don't care about bling for the rear! Just want best functioning/cable routing. Also, do certain models have better adjustment of the pads to fine tune them to rim width?
Thanks!
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Dec 4, 17 4:54
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My two votes are the Shimano (Ultegra is a great value point) and the Tririg. I think the Tririg cable routing is better and adjustment could be better. I have the Tririg Omega X in back.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thx. Tririg wants $51 US postage to mail a brake caliper to Canada via USPS. Stupid...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s not TriRig’s fault

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
That’s not TriRig’s fault

I went onto USPS's site, calculated shipping for a 2 pound box (being generous), figuring about 8" square (again, generous), shipping from California to Nova Scotia - I have no idea where they are located, so figured CA is about as far away as possible.
Lowest rate was $15.50 for First Class International, then there was $24 for Expedited.

Maybe Tririg insists on using one of the more expensive options. That's their fault.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriRig is in Boulder, Colorado

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are certainly a few places you wouldn't want to drill holes in many frames.

One hole in the back of a large, thick cross section that doesn't have any additional load bearing concerns? Not an issue.

As an engineer, I am aware of the standards that the frame has to pass, and the additional structural integrity built in by it's designers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too am aware of these standards. Creating a new stress concentration invalidates all of them, as well as any safety factors designed into the part. It's an interesting design, certainly. I just wouldn't implement it without more testing.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone put a TriRig Alpha X on a FRD? If so do you have pictures. Yes i have seen the pics Nick from when he did it once, looks like only some brake tabs would need to be shaved down. But would love to hear from someone thats actually done it. I am between getting a TriRig or a Zipp Vuka with the felt dagger stem.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a whole gallery.

http://www.tririg.com/galleries.php?id=2015_11_Felt_IA_Alpha_X_Compatibility&num=12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea seen those, wish he had posted more with someone that had shaved off the brake tabs and had correct dust cover on.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know which is consider faster? I am right between a 51 and a 54 so I have a choice: either A. have everything slammed on the 54 or B. have some stack height on the 51.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Supposedly it's best to buy the largest IA size that will fit you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Supposedly it's best to buy the largest IA size that will fit you.

Thats what I had heard about the trek to. I am coming from a size L Trek Sc that had the lowest stack possible.

Last edited by: BBLOEHR: Dec 18, 17 13:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also fit a 51 and 54. I went with the 54.

SuperDave who used to work at Felt previously recommended getting the largest frame that fits.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [j.shanney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j.shanney wrote:
I also fit a 51 and 54. I went with the 54.

SuperDave who used to work at Felt previously recommended getting the largest frame that fits.

Cool, that what I was thinking so basically get largest size possible as that is most aerodynamic. Also feel like turning would feel better with minimizing spacers?

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trent I have a question for you or anyone (SuperDave/Jim!)! I am between a 51 and 54. If I go 51 i will have to add some spacers and will move elbows out over the front wheel or I can go 54 which is going to be close call if I can get low enough and will just have everything slammed down on the bar. Going with a TriRig Alpha X to get some more wiggle room, if needed I could switch to a dagger stem and zipp bar to get a little more drop. Thoughts? (I am coming off a Trek SC L frame, maxed out on drop but don't really need anymore either)

for reference: 490/460 for the X/Y and 762 saddle height on current bike

I know Jim has prev stated he thinks the IA x will be able to get better fit as well, this just leads to my confusion even more.

Last edited by: BBLOEHR: Dec 19, 17 5:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this has been mentioned somewhere, but is there any data available on how much quicker the IAx with integrated front brake is vs the IAxx?
Obviously I like the integrated front end more but I'm being offered an IA16 for $1685 brand new, 2016 model..
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Dave suggested, back when they were released, that the difference was very small and with a good setup the IAxx could potentially be faster than it's more expensive sibling
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
....and at that price one could add an Omega X as a front brake replacement and still end up with a great price.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you like the bikes looks and the ride, grab it. It seems super cheap to me. It might even be worth buying it, using it for a year and sell it for a profit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And I read it's best to take the biggest frame you fit on? Based on my pad X and Y (466mm and 585mm from Dan's calculator) and saddle height (683mm) I seem to have more options on a 51 than on a 48 according to Felt's fit calculator (if that's a decent one to base your choice off of?), but my fitter said I'm better of taking the 48 because I wouldn't need spacers..? Right now I haven an ITU style fit though because I'm on a roadbike with clip-on aerobars.. 5'7" with a 30" inseam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone using a Powertap C1 powermeter on a Felt IA?
Just wondering if there are any compatibility issues to worry about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No issues for me. C1 is attached to Sram 900 wide axle crank with 110mm spider.
Quote Reply

Prev Next