Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [shoff14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

The Felt IA frames, they all come with a BB30 bottom bracket shell, yes? So is it a big deal to use one of the adapter type bottom brackets, like from wheelsmfg, to use a shimano or Sram-gxp crankset? My LBS said they didn't recommend it as it would increase the effective width of an already wide bottom bracket area.... (does that make any sense???)?

Thx!
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently upgraded to the IA16 and have swapped the stock crank with my Quarq GXP power meter. The LBS used an adapter (not sure what he used exactly and not as good as Praxis), but still works perfectly. For me anyway. Bike Link
Last edited by: Felt_Rider: Jan 2, 18 6:24
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
And I read it's best to take the biggest frame you fit on? Based on my pad X and Y (466mm and 585mm from Dan's calculator) and saddle height (683mm) I seem to have more options on a 51 than on a 48 according to Felt's fit calculator (if that's a decent one to base your choice off of?), but my fitter said I'm better of taking the 48 because I wouldn't need spacers..? Right now I haven an ITU style fit though because I'm on a roadbike with clip-on aerobars.. 5'7" with a 30" inseam

I hope that works out for you and it very well may. I am not even close to being a fitter.
I know these basic measurements do not tell the full story, but at 5'6" and 30" inseam I am glad I am not on a 48 and I wouldn't mind having a bit shorter crank arm length, but will stick with what I have since I like the power meter. I kind of wonder how the 54 would have worked for me. I seem to be improved compared to my former bike so I am happy with the purchase and I don't race so it is not critical for me either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Hi all,

The Felt IA frames, they all come with a BB30 bottom bracket shell, yes? So is it a big deal to use one of the adapter type bottom brackets, like from wheelsmfg, to use a shimano or Sram-gxp crankset? My LBS said they didn't recommend it as it would increase the effective width of an already wide bottom bracket area.... (does that make any sense???)?

Thx!

i've used both a gxp crankset and a bbright crankset with wheels manufacturing adapters without any issues
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
Anyone know which is consider faster? I am right between a 51 and a 54 so I have a choice: either A. have everything slammed on the 54 or B. have some stack height on the 51.

54cm.

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
Trent I have a question for you or anyone (SuperDave/Jim!)! I am between a 51 and 54. If I go 51 i will have to add some spacers and will move elbows out over the front wheel or I can go 54 which is going to be close call if I can get low enough and will just have everything slammed down on the bar. Going with a TriRig Alpha X to get some more wiggle room, if needed I could switch to a dagger stem and zipp bar to get a little more drop. Thoughts? (I am coming off a Trek SC L frame, maxed out on drop but don't really need anymore either)

for reference: 490/460 for the X/Y and 762 saddle height on current bike

I know Jim has prev stated he thinks the IA x will be able to get better fit as well, this just leads to my confusion even more.

You can get the pads on the stem and extensions under the base bar. It can go much lower on the 54cm. That's the size if you want lowest drag.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Hi all,

Thx!

That's absurd or a misunderstood reply. Absolutely use a Wheels Mfg or Enduro or similar (Ceramicspeed, Kogel) set up to convert the 68mm width of the frame bearing location to ~86mm. The BB area isn't wide on the Felt, it's narrower than most others (Cannondale, Cervelo, Trek, Giant)

If you have to choose, get a BB30 crank, if you already have a powermeter in a ~24mm crankset just get one of the BB that threads together and relocates 24mm I.D. bearings to the outboard position like a 68mm threaded BB does.

-SD

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:
Trent I have a question for you or anyone (SuperDave/Jim!)! I am between a 51 and 54. If I go 51 i will have to add some spacers and will move elbows out over the front wheel or I can go 54 which is going to be close call if I can get low enough and will just have everything slammed down on the bar. Going with a TriRig Alpha X to get some more wiggle room, if needed I could switch to a dagger stem and zipp bar to get a little more drop. Thoughts? (I am coming off a Trek SC L frame, maxed out on drop but don't really need anymore either)

I know Jim has prev stated he thinks the IA x will be able to get better fit as well, this just leads to my confusion even more.

You can get the pads on the stem and extensions under the base bar. It can go much lower on the 54cm. That's the size if you want lowest drag.

Dave is this OEM or is it some sort of hack as I've done a few times now with spares from the parts bin?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:
Anyone know which is consider faster? I am right between a 51 and a 54 so I have a choice: either A. have everything slammed on the 54 or B. have some stack height on the 51.

54cm.

Thanks superdave!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
SuperDave wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:

Dave is this OEM or is it some sort of hack as I've done a few times now with spares from the parts bin?

I don't know what is included with the OEM parts kit these days. Typically on first generation product while I was developing the bikes at Felt I'd include every nut and bolt and washer and spacer on the first year or first few production runs of a in-house OE item. On subsequent years I'd only include ONE set up and offer the extra parts as an aftermarket sale to the dealer who would often just keep all the extra parts unused from the first year of selling the bikes.

You do need to add spacers and longer bolts under the arm rests to get them to mount to the extensions run under the base bar. On the Bayonet3 and IA carbon base bars they can be mounted directly to the base bar with extra M6 hardware instead of the M5 kit that comes with the conventional set up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just picked up my first IA. I am waiting on a new crank before I take it for a spin but I wanted to ask how many people are swapping out the old calpac? the new version seems much more useful and I would imagine easier to navigate while racing.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get the new one. Much improved looks, performance and capacity. I love mine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On a bit of a separate topic: Any insight on what the proper technique should be to tighten the seat clamp? I find that my Fizik Tri saddle keeps going slightly off center and rubbing on the inside of my thigh eventually.

I've tried tightening both sides at the same time, starting with one side first, pushing into the seat, but eventually seems like the saddle nose ends up pointing slightly right.

Anyone else having saddle alignment issues?

3toronto Triathlon
Last edited by: 416_CBass: Jan 22, 18 12:55
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [416_CBass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't had any issues with alignment, but be careful with that clamp. I stripped mine and not a single bike store had one in stock. I had to order from 3T and it took a little bit. Needs to be made out of titanium or something. Probably a good aftermarket item for someone to make, with an eye towards simplification.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are the odds of a decent fit at the time of purchase?

I bought the Felt IA16 in the fall and the bike was setup by the shop owner based off measurements from my B10, but it is slightly more aggressive in fit. My initial plan and the shop owner's intent was just get the bike in the ballpark and then do a formal fitting. However, I feel great on the bike just off the initial rough build and setup. I have yet to stretch out to a 100 mile ride so I am not quite sure how my neck is going to hold up on the long haul. Most I was able to do before winter weather and illness was a 60 mile ride and I felt as good on the bike as I did on the B10 with a formal fitting. I've been on a number of shorter rides and have felt good.

Just not sure at this point that spending a few hours with a formal fitting and $300 +/- is worth doing. I don't race or compete if that matters.
I am able to generate decent power in that position and handling is getting better.

I am having a bit of an issue with the V3 aero bars. The arm cups moved on the very first ride so I took it back in and watched the shop owner torque everything down properly and the next ride the left arm cup slipped again when I hit a hard bump. You cannot move it back by hand so it is very tight and yet it still seems to slip. I bought some Park Tool Supergrip and hope that works.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Instead of spending 300+ on a fit, why not start by posting a video of your position here on the forum. Some well qualified folks on here will give you free advice.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
What are the odds of a decent fit at the time of purchase?
Very good if you get Fit First from a shop or fitter that knows what they are doing. Unfortunately, the list of shops and fitters that know what they are doing isn't as long as it should be.
Felt_Rider wrote:
I am having a bit of an issue with the V3 aero bars. The arm cups moved on the very first ride so I took it back in and watched the shop owner torque everything down properly and the next ride the left arm cup slipped again when I hit a hard bump. You cannot move it back by hand so it is very tight and yet it still seems to slip. I bought some Park Tool Supergrip and hope that works.
The bolts need to be re-greased, then torqued to spec.

We had headaches with the armpads slipping as well (for bikes sold last Spring and Summer) and finally seemed to have gotten past it.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Trent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
416_CBass wrote:
On a bit of a separate topic: Any insight on what the proper technique should be to tighten the seat clamp? I find that my Fizik Tri saddle keeps going slightly off center and rubbing on the inside of my thigh eventually.

I've tried tightening both sides at the same time, starting with one side first, pushing into the seat, but eventually seems like the saddle nose ends up pointing slightly right.

Anyone else having saddle alignment issues?

Walk the caps tight by evenly installing the bolts; like you'd do with a stem faceplace. Be sure you have 4 turns of engagement without any resistance on the bolts on both sides then walk the torque to spec.

It is also possible the seatpost mechanism isn't straight in the post or the post in the frame; that's something Felt would need to address.

-SD

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dave!

3toronto Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally chiming in this thread as an owner. Really, really excited. Gonna get some miles in and then get a full fit. Ignore the full stack of risers lol. Picked this baby up use from Craigslist and it's in pristine condition, sold with the upgrades you see. I lucked out something crazy.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Last edited by: justinhorne: Jan 22, 18 12:51
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does Felt change the colors used based on the country the bike is sold in, or just have different colors for diff production runs??
My shop ordered me a 2017 Felt IA16 from Felt Canada, and I was expecting a black frame with white decals/letters. Ended up being black frame with matte silver decals.... :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think mine looks like yours (March 2016 purchase). Mine definitely does not look like the pictures on Felt's website. I suspect that the difference is the use of flash that turns the slightly reflective matte silver into bright white. Here are a couple pictures of mine with and without flash. And, the last is a picture of my bike in the sunlight with no flash. So, outside, it will probably look close to white.

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you or anyone in your shop installed SRAM etap aero for anyone yet on a new IA?
If so where did you put or try to hide the blip box?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

After years of talk I finally threw my cash down in November for a new IA10 frameset. It's now late January, I still don't have an IA10 frameset. I've seen the model change colors multiple times, from a black and white to a black and deep grey, back, looks like dark carbon and deep grey is the official color. It's been multiple reasons for this or that on why it hasn't shipped yet but last I was told there is a problem with the bottom bracket of the 10 frameset, none are currently shipping, no ETA on when my frame will become available much less shipped. 58cm if that makes any difference.

I'm not commenting to turn the rumor mill. What I posted above is what I was told, but I do not talk to the distribution office or the local Felt rep, this is from my LBS.

Has anyone else heard anything like this, or any reasons the IA10 framesets are delayed? To be specific, JUST the IA10 frameset, not the complete.

Sure was hoping to have some miles on this before Texas in April. I hate sitting in limbo.

Thanks for any information.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply

Prev Next