Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Mouflon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought that only occurred in comics. Apparently not.

http://theoatmeal.com/...erences2/locker_room

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [S Train] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
S Train wrote:
Got one in the Strange Locker Room Denizens category. My Y actually has stalls in the men's shower. The walls of the stalls are just below my eye level but above most (I'm 6'2"). This morning I was rinsing before going to the pool at one end of the stalls when a guy showering at the opposite end does a little hop/jump up above the wall and makes eye contact with me before dropping back down.

Very disconcerting.

Cracking me up. LOL
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [layaway tay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
layaway tay wrote:
Makes me wonder if similar things go on in the women's locker room.
I have been in many locker rooms and never, ever seen another woman drying her genitals with a hairdryer.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
layaway tay wrote:
All the super old guys at my YMCA like to blow dry their balls.

Some people are way too uptight about nudity (come on, get real!) and some people are way too relaxed (maybe not so real, please!).
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a new one today: heavy guy walking in a lane at an LA Fitness. He sees me putting on my cap AND HE PROCEEDS TO MOVE OVER TO A LANE WITH ANOTHER WALKER SO I CAN SWIM IN PEACE!!!!!!

A strange denizen indeed
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [aztri81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, I thought my denizen was bad, but some of these are hilarious. My guy is there every time I am, and he's a shouter. He has a few other eccentricities (lots of side strokes; boardshorts; erratic and non-continual lap efforts), but what's stark and alarming is his vocalizations.

You can't ever discern what he's yelling about, because it's literally babble at high volume. The lifeguards totally ignore him and, if you swim there long enough, so do you. But when he arrives, his lane immediately clears out, and if there's enough room, the adjoining lanes as well
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a guard at Juniper Aquatic in Bend who I admire the crap out of. He is there EVERY day at 0 dark :30 when the pool opens, every swim I've ever done there he is there and absolutely works his ass off. He is constantly on the move, marching back and forth carrying his buoy and whistle. At first I thought he was looking for piranha in the water he was so intense. Over time I came to see that he just loves his job and kills it every day. He will get you a board, clear your lane of poorly paced or blocking swimmers, he politely kicks aqua joggers out and in to their separate designated areas, just love the guy. Always, smiling always on the move, never ever sits down. Then when it's his rotation to be off patrol he goes in to the new locker room and starts cleaning up everything, swabbing shower stalls, cleans toilets etc. Just blows me away. Give this guy a huge raise in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could give him tips.

On the other hand, that would make you a strange denizen who tips the guards for service...

Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georged wrote:
You could give him tips.

On the other hand, that would make you a strange denizen who tips the guards for service...

I thought about it, but then backed off not wanting to go weirdo creep factor and be another story on Strange Denizens of the Pool. But, he does deserve a raise!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could always smile and thank him for doing a great job. That's probably not creepy or strange.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
georged wrote:
You could always smile and thank him for doing a great job. That's probably not creepy or strange.

X2. And a tip would probably be appreciated, if left anonymously in an envelope with his name on it for a job well done ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Normally the school rec pool is denizen free, it pays off since you have to be a student or faculty so you don't get the standard weird you get most places. However you do get some 'unique' people, generally ones trying to swim for fitness for the first time.

However today I had two that were rather new. The first was 'Over-prepared Lady', she came up to the lane already wearing swim cap and goggles, flip flops, and holding a bunch of toys. Gets into the lane and does a full 100 jogging, never even got her face in the water, while still wearing swim cap and goggles. Then she starts swimming THE SLOWEST freestyle I have ever seen. I was doing drills and actually passed her while sculling. I honestly have no idea how she wasn't sinking.

The other was 'OCD Shower Guy', after I got done with the sauna I'm over by the shower bank and I see a guy check three separate showers. The odd thing was he did it in a sequence; 1, 2, 3, 2, 1, 2, 3 and then gets into #1. Absolutely no idea what the deal was as all the showers were empty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
layaway tay wrote:
All the super old guys at my YMCA like to blow dry their balls.

Hey man!!! I'm not that old!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Midtown Miles wrote:
layaway tay wrote:

I have been in many locker rooms and never, ever seen another woman drying her genitals with a hairdryer.

me neither. It must be a treat for the older gents.
Last edited by: kiki: Jan 15, 16 5:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find out who his boss is and let them know he's doing a great job. As a former lifeguard, I can assure you that would really mean a lot to him.

http://bendparksandrec.org/about_us/contact_us/
(There are two Aquatic Supervisors listed there for the rec center)

It's easy to make excuses, but excuses don't make champions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pdxjohn wrote:
There's a guard at Juniper Aquatic in Bend who I admire the crap out of. He is there EVERY day at 0 dark :30 when the pool opens, every swim I've ever done there he is there and absolutely works his ass off. He is constantly on the move, marching back and forth carrying his buoy and whistle. At first I thought he was looking for piranha in the water he was so intense. Over time I came to see that he just loves his job and kills it every day. He will get you a board, clear your lane of poorly paced or blocking swimmers, he politely kicks aqua joggers out and in to their separate designated areas, just love the guy. Always, smiling always on the move, never ever sits down. Then when it's his rotation to be off patrol he goes in to the new locker room and starts cleaning up everything, swabbing shower stalls, cleans toilets etc. Just blows me away. Give this guy a huge raise in my opinion.

The strangest denizen yet.
Can I come and swim at your pool?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
layaway tay wrote:

I will admit to being that denizen. The gym where I swim does not provide towels, so we have to bring our own. One time I got out of the pool, and my towel was soaking wet. I am pretty sure it was the group of teenage boys that kept hopping between the hot tub and the pool. I was so grossed out by the thought of them rubbing my towel all over their bodies that I couldn't bring myself to use it without washing it. I had to use the hand dryers in the locker room in order to get dry enough to get dressed.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [xgep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xgep wrote:
The other was 'OCD Shower Guy', after I got done with the sauna I'm over by the shower bank and I see a guy check three separate showers. The odd thing was he did it in a sequence; 1, 2, 3, 2, 1, 2, 3 and then gets into #1. Absolutely no idea what the deal was as all the showers were empty.

For what it's worth, where I swim the showers are different. Some of them have good pressure, some of them have horrible pressure. Some take forever to warm up, some are used more often and always instantly warm. Having said that, as a creature of habit I almost always use the same one.

He could be OCD too. I wonder how that would play out in the pool? I probably just have to re-read this thread from the beginning to find out.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
layaway tay wrote:

I will admit to being that denizen. The gym where I swim does not provide towels, so we have to bring our own. One time I got out of the pool, and my towel was soaking wet. I am pretty sure it was the group of teenage boys that kept hopping between the hot tub and the pool. I was so grossed out by the thought of them rubbing my towel all over their bodies that I couldn't bring myself to use it without washing it. I had to use the hand dryers in the locker room in order to get dry enough to get dressed.

You have issues
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [mktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mktri wrote:
So yesterday at the local outdoor rec pool I arrive for my Saturday workout. I'm no fish, but just show up, go about my business and then go play with my kids. Usually no problem finding a lane. Yesterday was like something out of the twilight zone. Every lane is full. From right to left we have:

1. three lanes full of lane walkers. None a day younger than 65. All chatting away over the lane markers.
2. one lane actually being used by swimmers
3. a lane that is taken up by an older lady who is slowly sculling on her back. We've all seen them. Then tend to be on the heavier side, and older, but I give kudos for actually attempting a workout and doing something in the pool that doesn't involve your feet touching the bottom at all times (ie lane walkers). The kicker is..... she was doing all of this at 6 min/ 100 pace while wearing some pretty serious looking swim paddles and the whole outfit was topped off with one of those foam visors that they sell in Walmart for $1.50 with the little chord in the back to hold it on.
4. the last lane held 4 teenage girls who were using it for 'horse' races. A new take on lane walking, they were taking turns piggybacking each other up and down the lane. Fortunately about the time I've stowed my bag and stretched a little they've mosied on down the pool and are chatting 50 feet away.....lane empty. I start my set and 3/4 of the way down the lane see 4 pairs of feet in front of me......they'd hopped back in........ WTH? I (with difficulty) suppressed urge to flipturn off of one of them and explained lane etiquette. They moved. I felt very mature :)

It seems like it should be part of the lifeguard's duty to organize and monitor swim lanes. Walkers can do that anywhere and should not take up a lane. They can do that in the open area of the pool. Goes without saying the horse races should be kicked out of the swim lanes when people are there to swim laps. You can't go onto the basketball court and do yoga under the basket when people want to play a game.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
noofus wrote:
xgep wrote:
I had a great one the other day at the public rec center, daily it has most of the above interesting cases but this was unique.

Guy gets into the lane next to mine and initially the only reason I noticed was because he was quite large, large enough he had to use the handicap ramp to get into the water. Ok, I figure good for him getting some exercise and swimming is at least no impact. He puts on a set of paddles and heads off doing freestyle. I otherwise just go back to what I'm doing since I had a pretty long set planned. Shortly afterwards I notice he's doing damn good flip turns. I also notice he's doing some pretty long sets at about a 1:40scy pace as I was barely going faster than him during my pull sets.

Later we chatted a bit when we were both resting and I let him know his swimming was damn impressive, then he lets me know he was doing 1k repeats.

That man is my new hero.

I had a similar experience last week. I was doing some long sets (800s, 1000s) at 1:35-1:40/100scy. This really big guy gets in the lane next to me and proceeds to completely smoke me, had to have been doing 1:15-1:20s or so. At first I was thinking "well he can't sustain that" but sure enough he did for what looked like was at least 500 at a time (x a bunch of sets!)

I am far from fast in the water, but I hold my own OK, and I am routinely humbled by people that don't *look* like they should be able to go as fast as they do. Always amazes me.

Swimming is a great deal of skill acquisition on top of fitness as you are well aware. I have a pal who swam distance at Auburn and is 25+ years removed from competitive swimming. Last time he swam with me about 2 years ago he was no less than 30 pounds overweight and does nothing but play golf. Dude still flew like a bird and was wearing board shorts he was embarrassed to put on a swim suit, but was instantly the fastest guy in the pool;)

This always blows me away. You just don't see that in running. Dudes 30-50+ pounds over weight who have not run in years just don't come out and run like gazelles. It's ugly, even if it may have been beautiful before.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Pickles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a great way to kill a slow morning. I read backwards until here had to stop.

Pickles wrote:
Where I swim there is a general purpose exercise room between the front desk and the locker room. You must walk past this room. It is usually used by people for yoga and body weight type exercises. The room is half mirrored and the other half is windowed into the facility.

Last week as I am walking by I look into the room and see that all the lights are off. But on the floor there is someone laying prone on the floor. Kneeling to their side is another man giving the prone man a massage. And then standing about a foot behind the kneeling man is another man standing with a music stand in front of him and he is playing a trombone.

I have seen a lot of weird things at the pool but this is by far the strangest.

I found it funny that the quote below was this

nickwisconsin wrote:
My 12 y/o ran for his life at that point. Not sure what that was about but I blame Miley Cyrus.

Which was in response to another story about some chick doing butt raises or something like that.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I was learning to flip turn I would occasionally stand at the wall and duck underwater to watch the good swimmers in the lane next to me do their flip. I'm certain that looked creepy to them, but I just wanted to see the technique. It was very helpful, actually. Sometimes I would follow them home and park in front of their house for a while. I can understand how they might take that the wrong way.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Descended some 100's today. Spent 20 min trying to figure out what the guy in the next lane was doing. It involved diving booties and it looked like he was doing one-armed swimming drills. Eventually, my lungs started burning and I lost interest.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
xgep wrote:

For what it's worth, where I swim the showers are different. Some of them have good pressure, some of them have horrible pressure. Some take forever to warm up, some are used more often and always instantly warm. Having said that, as a creature of habit I almost always use the same one.

He could be OCD too. I wonder how that would play out in the pool? I probably just have to re-read this thread from the beginning to find out.

Yeah, my old gym was random. You never knew which one would heat up first. So I'd turn on all 5, and walk up&down until one got hot. Put my stuff there, then turn the rest off.
Quote Reply

Prev Next