Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [adambeston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, at the university pool we have shower stalls. :-)

At the local Y we even have stalls for changing your clothes. You can't change your clothes in the general locker area because....they aren't good at keeping boys out of the women's locker room. Let's face it, they don't try. Heck, once a man came in and sprayed for bugs while I was in the shower.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [aztri81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aztri81 wrote:
Self Reporting: I went to the pool today with a pool buoy, hand paddles, and a kick board. I then proceeded to swim 2,100 yards straight without any of the pool toys, which was my entire workout. I then got out of the pool and put away the pool buoy, hand paddles, and kick board. As I exited the pool, people were puzzled and giving me strange looks, and rightfully so.

I am puzzled. Are you talking about a "pull buoy"?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
aztri81 wrote:
Self Reporting: I went to the pool today with a pool buoy, hand paddles, and a kick board. I then proceeded to swim 2,100 yards straight without any of the pool toys, which was my entire workout. I then got out of the pool and put away the pool buoy, hand paddles, and kick board. As I exited the pool, people were puzzled and giving me strange looks, and rightfully so.

I am puzzled. Are you talking about a "pull buoy"?

I read it as he brought his swimmer toys on deck, didn't use any of them in the workout, packed up and went home. People noticed that he exhibited this routine swimmer behavior and didn't understand it.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw something I haven't seen mentioned previously, the 'Swim Parent'.

The two lanes next to me were taken by Mom, Dad, and their two small children (a boy about 10 and a girl around 6). Initially I figured it was a great way for the family to do something together and keep everybody in shape. Until I started hearing the coaching by the parents. Now note, the parents were swimming with the children, not just coaching from the side of the pool.

"You missed your sendoff again, pay attention!"
6 year old pulls up gasping "Ok in five seconds go again"
"If you want more rest you need to go faster"
"That was a really sloppy butterfly, you can do better" Again to the six year old
"If you keep stopping at the wall we're just going to do it again"

They left after about an hour and all I could think was "There goes two kids who will despise swimming after high school, if they make it that long."
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [xgep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The pool where I swim mandates swim caps. Last night there was an older gentleman who was swimming in an ill-fitting large purple shower cap doing breaststroke. I thought this was strange but the lifeguards didn't say anything (they have spares at the pool and thought they would have offered one). Opinions?

It was a bit like this:

Am I being judgemental that you shouldn't swim one of those things?
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dado0583 wrote:
The pool where I swim mandates swim caps.

This intrigues me. Why would it matter? Are they trying to make everyone look like freds?

Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Turd Ferguson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Turd Ferguson wrote:
dado0583 wrote:

This intrigues me. Why would it matter? Are they trying to make everyone look like freds?

What about bald/shaven head people?

I work in a lab that mandates hairnets, even for the bald/shaven head guys. I think that part is ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pools in Ireland frequently (always?) require caps to be worn.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Turd Ferguson wrote:
dado0583 wrote:

If everyone looks like a Fred then there can be no Fred-bullying... I don't know why they mandate caps, although I would guess it makes the cleaning easier somehow. Given it's a pain for them to enforce such a rule, I presume there is a benefit that makes it worthwhile.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dado0583 wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:
dado0583 wrote:

If everyone looks like a Fred then there can be no Fred-bullying... I don't know why they mandate caps, although I would guess it makes the cleaning easier somehow. Given it's a pain for them to enforce such a rule, I presume there is a benefit that makes it worthwhile.

I like this right here. Positive spin I guess.

The more I think about it the more I agree with the direction you were going. I suppose it makes it easier to clean.

Would this same place make me wear a condom to prevent me from peeing in the pool?? That's the real head scratcher

Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Did I post this already? Can't remember?

Young lady doing kick drills in the deep end. Okay so far so good. Vertical in the water, using the kick to stay afloat. okay seen that before.

Wearing a towel around her hair and reading a paperback book.

For 45 minutes. For as long as we swam, she was there doing her routine. The book did not get wet.

I may have seen the same woman. Was it in London?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Turd Ferguson wrote:
Would this same place make me wear a condom to prevent me from peeing in the pool?? That's the real head scratcher

No, that would break discrimination laws as it would target men-only. I guess a colostomy bag requirement would be fair though. I'll raise it to them and see how they respond.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The pool rats". These three 4 guys are always there. Always. I start and they are already there. I leave after about an hour or so and they are still there. They are upper middle age guys, kind of overweight a bit, not your typical swiming types. They do intervals 50s, 100, what not, sometimes long distances etc. But no matter when I go to the pool, they are always there.

The stretching lady. Never enters the pool, just stretches on a mat by the pool. Like the pool rats, she is always there: before me, while I am there and probably long after I am gone.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
"The pool rats". These three 4 guys are always there. Always. I start and they are already there. I leave after about an hour or so and they are still there. They are upper middle age guys, kind of overweight a bit, not your typical swiming types. They do intervals 50s, 100, what not, sometimes long distances etc. But no matter when I go to the pool, they are always there.

The stretching lady. Never enters the pool, just stretches on a mat by the pool. Like the pool rats, she is always there: before me, while I am there and probably long after I am gone.
They probably just turn up every day to watch the crazy triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today there was a youngish guy treading water in the depend for almost the entire time I was swimming, more than an hour. Just... treading water. For an hour. What is the point????

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Midtown Miles wrote:
Today there was a youngish guy treading water in the depend for almost the entire time I was swimming, more than an hour. Just... treading water. For an hour. What is the point????

Aquaman can also take a break sometime.

Only fools never change their minds and I'll never change my mind about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Midtown Miles wrote:

Could have been training for SEAL team tryouts.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris G wrote:
I have all of those people at my Y also, you just forgot college swim team girl that does kick drills faster than I can do an all out 50

We have that girl at my pool. She's a second lieutenant who used to swim for West Point.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim wrote:
Midtown Miles wrote:

Could have been training for SEAL team tryouts.
That's a very kind thought, but this guy was not in SEAL shape.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today's denizen is me. Finally broke 20 seconds for 25 yds and I celebrated like I just won the Olympic gold.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yesterday there was an older man (around 70) doing deep water running in a short arm/short leg surf wetsuit. Nothing unusual so far.

However... the wetsuit was way too big for him - there would have been a one inch gap between it & his arms/legs.

Oh yeah - he was also wearing runners. And socks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Midtown Miles wrote:

Training for water polo?
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluntandy wrote:
This is my favourite these on the internet.
I've been swimming and coaching in pools in GB and Finland for over 30 years and have met many
Of the same denizens. My most recent was in Finland.
I was about to go into the showers before my swim so I was naked and in ffront of me a very old man approached me (also naked) and gestured to his hand, I thought he'd found a sharp thing and wanted to show me that he'd picked it up to spare our feet. So I looked into his hand and it was full of the gnarliest yellowest toenails I've ever seen.
I must have looked a little shocked so he explained that he cuts them in the shower room as swimming makes them softer.
I reeled and almost paraded into the pool wearing only my swim hat and goggles.

When I'm an old man I'm going to troll people like that.

KG6 wrote:
Last week an older guy took up the entire end of a lane with the newspaper spread out. Just hanging out reading the paper. Luckily the other lanes were open, but it's not like I'm going to show up to the gym and take over a bench press area to read a book for the afternoon.

I saw a girl doing that, actually. She did one set of squats, then put the bar on the very lowest setting, and sat down on it. Picked up her iPad. Loaded up pinterest. The only squat rack in the gym, mind you. I stared for a moment, in wonderment. Went and rowed for 30 minutes. She was pissy when I asked her if she was done. She then did one set of bench, and was back on the iPad. Somebody asked her to move again, and she stormed off to the leg press. Nobody bothered her there.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:

We have 3 obese middle age men who put on swim trunks and stand in the pool for 30-60 minutes talking about fantasy football. None of them ever swim, they just stand there and talk. I think they do it in the pool so they can go home smelling like chlorine and tell their wives that they had a swim workout.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange Denizens of the Pool.... [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
Today's denizen is me. Finally broke 20 seconds for 25 yds and I celebrated like I just won the Olympic gold.

I have sheepishly raise my hand as I've done this too.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply

Prev Next